How did/do you get past your hair's "threshold"/limit?

NYCQT16

Natural Again
How did/do you get past your hair\'s \"threshold\"/limit?

I didn't quite know what to call it, but right now my hair is @ the length where it hasn't gotten longer than this before. If it has, then it's only a few more inches, barely skimming my shoulders, and it looks all scraggly and chopped. My hair is definitely looking thicker & healthier, but I want it to go past the usual limit! Has anyone had this experience and how did you get past it? More vits, change in regimen..please help /images/graemlins/whyme.gif

Re: How did/do you get past your hair\'s \"threshold\"/limit?

My hair was at the same length for years. Then I started getting it trimmed and using protective styles. Now, it's inching further down my back.

i did it with individual braids. i wore them on and off for 10 months...

I used a phony pony before the board. This definitely helped me pass that limit, which was having my hair at the bottom of my shirt collar. I lost a lot of length at first though, because I wasn't moisturizing enough. Then I found the boards and now I know better. With vitamins, I definitely see a boost in growth also. The one thing to remember is this: when you are trying to get over that hump, you might not be looking as cute as you are used to looking (you may have to accept different hair looks for yourself, is what I mean). You have to get out of your hair comfort zone. IMO that is the only way to get over the hump (while of course taking the advice of the ladies here). Think about exercise: your body hits a plateau and you have to tweak the routine to kick it into high gear! The same is true for getting over that hair limit. In this case, getting you over that rut will be protective styles, heatless styles, anything that keeps your ends safe while they make it to the next level. Good luck to you. It can be done, you just have to get used to expanding your routine and doing things for your hair that you might not have done before.

I'm planning to wear braids to get past my usual threshold. I know that's what helped the braid lady, and now to see Adrienne0914 used that method, I'm definitely going to do it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm planning to wear braids to get past my usual threshold. I know that's what helped the braid lady, and now to see Adrienne0914 used that method, I'm definitely going to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here!!! I've gotton about 1" over my thershhold already doing this method! /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

I agree with getting it trimmed...when it's healthy, the growth will be noticed.

I am only .5 inch over my threshold but I am nervous. i am close to brastrap but so close to going backwards with one mistake you know. I have doubled my intake of vitamins to give my hair a boost. I really want to be brastrap by april of next year. I am trying to decide whether to do cornrows or individuals (braids). The cons of braid for me at least is I get a lot of breakage because my hair tangles so easily. The cons of cornrows is that I cannot find anybody but the hairdresser to do it and it will cost me 70.00 which is entirely too much money. I really wish I could do that myself.

I did it with braids. They were a hairsaver for me! I am past bra-strap and on my way to waist length now!

I did it with braids too. I now have about 2.5-3" to go to get to my waist.

ive been wondering the same thing. think im getting braids this winter, or ASAP. im about at my threshold length, and getting nervous. . .

Ladies, thanks for the advice. I think I need to be more diligent about my protective styles. I wear a ponytail and although it's not even on my shoulders, it is probably getting friction from my shirt collar and jean jacket collar. I didn't want to shell out the $ for indiviual braids, but it will be worth it to get past this threshold so I will be keeping you ladies posted. Any more suggestions? Jump in /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was wondering the same thing too. I just got a trim and started on my GNC vitamins again. I'm also thinking I'm gonna have to hide my blowdryer from myself. Anyone else have suggestions? I'm too cheap to get braids!!

I know Jade 21, whose hair has grown down to knee-length, talked about it in a post long ago. I know part of what helped her was eating seaweed salad. I've gotten mine from Whole Foods. Also, consistency is important: have you tried moisturizing your ends, sealing them with Vaseline (no, I'm not kidding), covering them with a sandwich baggie (w/o teeth), and slapping on a phony tail? Moisture + protection = success on my hair. Even after the trauma, lol, of having an SHS trim my hair, it's still longer than I can ever recall it being: it's b/t the middle of my shoulder blades; previously, my relaxed hair never stretched beyond nape-length.

Good luck!

My hair is also the longest it's ever been.

I take vitamins, avoid curling irons and hot combs, and wear buns a lot. I also Surge sometimes. The Remington Tangle Tamer comb prevents me from losing a lot of hair.

I haven't found a magical potion to prevent tangles after washing, but I wash my hair in braided sections.

Oh yeah, I haven't let my stylist trim my hair since spring 2004.

wearing my hair in a ponytail/bun for one entire year. doing "nothing" to my hair was the best thing that has ever happened. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I posted a topic like this a while back because I realized my hair had reached the length it was before I had it butchered by a scissor happy stylist. I began to get discouraged because I didn’t think it would grow any further but soon after I stopped concentrating on length and more about overall health my hair started to grow little by little past shoulder length. I recently relaxed in August and experienced some breakage messing up my growth, however I didn’t let that discourage me either and I kept at taking better care of my hair. My hair has filled in and is growing little by little. Besides taking better care of my hair I try not to pull it back too often and wear braided styles for added growth. All these things combined have helped me get over that “threshold”. HTH

[ QUOTE ]
I used a phony pony before the board. This definitely helped me pass that limit, which was having my hair at the bottom of my shirt collar. I lost a lot of length at first though, because I wasn't moisturizing enough. Then I found the boards and now I know better. With vitamins, I definitely see a boost in growth also. The one thing to remember is this: when you are trying to get over that hump, you might not be looking as cute as you are used to looking (you may have to accept different hair looks for yourself, is what I mean). You have to get out of your hair comfort zone. IMO that is the only way to get over the hump (while of course taking the advice of the ladies here). Think about exercise: your body hits a plateau and you have to tweak the routine to kick it into high gear! The same is true for getting over that hair limit. In this case, getting you over that rut will be protective styles, heatless styles, anything that keeps your ends safe while they make it to the next level. Good luck to you. It can be done, you just have to get used to expanding your routine and doing things for your hair that you might not have done before.

[/ QUOTE ]
I must say I agree with Ubavka123 about keeping the ends safe until you get to the next level. In August and September, I was very, very busy (as I still am) and I wore my hair up in my braided style (like in my album) almost all of the time because it was easy and very low maintenance. Well, I forgot all about my hair except for washing/conditioning every 3-4 days. I almost forgot my date for my extended retouch which I did at 14 weeks.

When I recently retouched my hair, I was amazed at how much longer it was and looked. I had no idea! It's different somehow than the last time I relaxed my hair. My ends are pretty thick also (I'll post a pic soon). I'm just saying that the combo of a protective style, stretching out the relaxer and forgetting about one's hair can contribute to getting over the "hump".

[ QUOTE ]
I know Jade 21, whose hair has grown down to knee-length, talked about it in a post long ago. I know part of what helped her was eating seaweed salad. I've gotten mine from Whole Foods. Also, consistency is important: have you tried moisturizing your ends, sealing them with Vaseline (no, I'm not kidding), covering them with a sandwich baggie (w/o teeth), and slapping on a phony tail? Moisture + protection = success on my hair. Even after the trauma, lol, of having an SHS trim my hair, it's still longer than I can ever recall it being: it's b/t the middle of my shoulder blades; previously, my relaxed hair never stretched beyond nape-length.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there is something about that seaweed salad--the kelp it contains! /images/graemlins/lick.gif Works wonders on hair growth. I need to do that more often.

I am a little past that limit and I am very worried. I want to see if I continue to grow before I make any adjustments. I hate when I get to this length!

Nyambura & Isis, where do you get this seaweed salad?

I too need to moisturize a lot more. I am always trying to keep my hair light because I like to wear my hair out with a lot of movement and bounce. I guess I'll just have to sacrafice for the length. Mayhe I'll try the baddig method. I just LOVE wearing my hair out /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I must say I agree with Ubavka123 about keeping the ends safe until you get to the next level. In August and September, I was very, very busy (as I still am) and I wore my hair up in my braided style (like in my album) almost all of the time because it was easy and very low maintenance. Well, I forgot all about my hair except for washing/conditioning every 3-4 days. I almost forgot my date for my extended retouch which I did at 14 weeks.

When I recently retouched my hair, I was amazed at how much longer it was and looked. I had no idea! It's different somehow than the last time I relaxed my hair. My ends are pretty thick also (I'll post a pic soon). I'm just saying that the combo of a protective style, stretching out the relaxer and forgetting about one's hair can contribute to getting over the "hump".

[/ QUOTE ]

i got past that point with sew in weaves. my own hair is mostly braided up so i can feel free to moisturize as much as i want w/o the constabt fear of reversion =)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there is something about that seaweed salad--the kelp it contains! /images/graemlins/lick.gif Works wonders on hair growth. I need to do that more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is it about kelp that makes your hair grow?

Kelp contains Inositol which is one of the many essential nutrients for hair growth. You can google up more info on it.

However, if you take kelp supplements, it's not good to take them for more than a few months at a time, as extended use may cause thyroid problems. Also, the effects of hair growth using kelp supplements seems to stop after a certain period of use.

Rollersetting. No matter what else I'm doing to my hair(provided it's not devastatingly damaging) - if I'm rollersetting, it continues to grow. I got a HUGE trim when I went home for a visit this Labor Day, and already it's beginning to show some progress. For some reason, rollersetting just makes my hair thrive.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't quite know what to call it, but right now my hair is @ the length where it hasn't gotten longer than this before. If it has, then it's only a few more inches, barely skimming my shoulders, and it looks all scraggly and chopped. My hair is definitely looking thicker & healthier, but I want it to go past the usual limit! Has anyone had this experience and how did you get past it? More vits, change in regimen..please help /images/graemlins/whyme.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I did it by mosturizing a lot and forgetting that I own a hairdryer and curling iron.

[ QUOTE ]
Nyambura & Isis, where do you get this seaweed salad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotten mine from Whole Foods, a chain healthfood store.

[ QUOTE ]
Rollersetting. No matter what else I'm doing to my hair(provided it's not devastatingly damaging) - if I'm rollersetting, it continues to grow. I got a HUGE trim when I went home for a visit this Labor Day, and already it's beginning to show some progress. For some reason, rollersetting just makes my hair thrive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, same here.

Back