From shoulder length to arm pit length

janeemat

Ladies, how long did it take you to get from shoulder length to arm pit length. I'm tall, around 5'7" and this looks impossible. My husband laughs when I told him that next year this time my hair would be arm pit length. He did stretch my freshly relaxed hair down my back with a tape measurer and informed me that I needed 4 and 1/2 inches to reach APL. This looks like this would be the biggest hurdle since I've NEVER had hair past my shoulders.

Many people have said that this is the hardest part of the growing process and I agree. I started at shoulder in Jan, and I''m still not a APL yet (only an inch away) It seems like it's taking forever, but the time does go by fast, don't worry.

Plus it seems to me that a lot of people get really discouraged during this stage, but once they reach APL they get to Brastrap in a matter of months. So it's all good!:)

Oh, and next time hubby wants some, you should laugh in his face! :lol:

I've seen lots of posts here say that getting past SL is the hardest because of the constant rubbing against clothes and exposure of your ends. I'm working on making it APL as well so I can't really answer your "how long did it take" question but I'd like to know as well.

I'm the same height as you, and I used to feel the same way. I still do somewhat, and that's why I set my APL goal to around Aug 2007. I feel like my back is so long, and it will take me forever. I'm starting to have hope now, because it seems like it might not take as long as I thought. Hang in there:)

I'm about an inch away from APL and I'd stay it took about about 7-8 months. This was with me being very lazy, not moisturizing or oiling and being mean to my hair. So I'd say with diligence you can get there a lot faster.

ETA: I'm 5'2.5"

RavenIvygurl said:
I'm about an inch away from APL and I'd stay it took about about 7-8 months. This was with me being very lazy, not moisturizing or oiling and being mean to my hair. So I'd say with diligence you can get there a lot faster.

ETA: I'm 5'2.5"

I just thought about it, and I wasn't really dedicated to my regimen the first half of the year, so I'm sure that has a lot to do w/ it.

Also, APL on you would prob. be more like BSL on me and other ladies. I'm only 5'1.

RIG, shame on you claiming that .5! :lol:

Breezy you made me laugh out loud! Thanks for the encouragement. I just want to show him so I can laugh. After the holidays, I do plan to keep it off my shoulders as much as possible.

breezy said:
I just thought about it, and I wasn't really dedicated to my regimen the first half of the year, so I'm sure that has a lot to do w/ it.

Also, APL on you would prob. be more like BSL on me and other ladies. I'm only 5'1.

RIG, shame on you claiming that .5!
:lol:

hey hey hey. Last time I went to the doc , that's what they put man!! So what if the time before they said 5'2"?! I'm claiming it!!:lol:

Try the Hide your hair challenge for the next several months. We do plan to start it up again after we reveal for christmas.

I started at shoulder length this time last year. For the majority of this year and mainly for the last six months (the duration of the challenge) I've had my hair hid. When I took down my weave and washed my hair on Friday my hair at 13 weeks post is about 1 inch away from starting to touch the APL line. When I relax I might be even closer if not there. However if I am there it will only be at the center. In order to have a full thick APL I think I need another 6 months. I plan to keep hiding my hair under the weave to ensure I have a full thick official APL. After that I may just hide my hair in buns since my hair should be thick enough at that point for a full bun. I do need to trim my ends some too since they're thin and bone straight.

Anyway don't give up! The fastest way to get there in my opinion is to protective style your hair consistently for several months to a year.

Keep us posted.

I have just now reached shoulder length but I am hoping that I can achieve a full armpit length by September (I'm getting married and I want full APL hair so I will not have to add extensions to achieve my desired hair style). So that gives me 10 months. I think I can make it! And I know you can make it too. 4.5 inches = 9 months for the average person. So maybe we will hit our goals around the same time.:)

Miss.Que said:
I have just now reached shoulder length but I am hoping that I can achieve a full armpit length by September (I'm getting married and I want full APL hair so I will not have to add extensions to achieve my desired hair style). So that gives me 10 months. I think I can make it! And I know you can make it too. 4.5 inches = 9 months for the average person. So maybe we will hit our goals around the same time.:)

Hey,

did you use protective styles to help you out?

RabiaElaine
I can't wait to see your hair.

thanks for the tips ladies..

SG

Angie10 I just browsed your album and you have come a long ways since Jan/Apr. Your hair really looks healthy. Were you natural and just recently relaxed or did you stretch. It looked natural in some of the pics.

RabiaElaine I have been bunning some. I'm not sure if I can do a 100% hide your hair because I'm not into braids, weaves or wigs. It's a drastic change to do the baggie/bun thing. After I do my hair on Sat, I usually wear it down Sunday, Mon, Tues and then bun Wed, Thurs and Friday. I may try to bun from Mon-Fri and shampoo Sat. I feel sure the more I bun the more length I'll be able to retain.

I don't know the exact time, but it took forever and a day....I think/hope getting to BSL from APL will be much faster.

man.. i think i am 2 inches from apl now, and i hid my hair for the better part of this year... i was wearing weaves. i am just trying to get some parts of my hair there and that will give me some encouragement. you may have to hide for a while

Looking good Miss.Que. That's how my hair looks. I need to do some pics and definitely needed to hear and see that.

There was a thread in which Candy_c talked about getting to APL. I believe she said that the getting from shoulder to APL required protective styling because at that length it rubs against your clothing.

HTH

I think it took me around 8 and half months..maybe a little less. It does seem like it took forever. I would say that is surely a measure hurdle to get by.

I feel your pain, janeemat, we're about the same height. I'm not even at shoulder length yet, so I feel like it will take forever to reach my BSL goal. Damn this long torso of mine!;)

this is my dilemma too right now. I am at SL and feel like it would be a huge hurdle to get to apl...a nice full and thick apl. I think I've seen a bsl challenge going on but I really dont think I will make bsl in 2007. Can we get an APL challenge?

Hey I feel your pain I am just passing shoulder length now (my pictures are a little old). I have a game plan for getting to APL by July. I am 5’9” so it going to be some work. I have about roughly 5 inches to go. The key is maintain my length. So I moisturize & seal the ends 2x a day morning and night. Since this length is hard to get past because of friction to my ends, I will be rocking buns and French rolls and wet bunning as my protective style. I was also reading another post that talked about surging using a high protein diet and vitamins and protein shakes. I will check this out to see if it’s safe and how to do it. I do the vitamins and periodically I do the whey protien shakes but as long as it’s safe I will concentrate on the nutrition part and post the results. I wish you the best.

Last edited:
It's not that hard with protective styling. I'm 5'10" and I made it in about four months. My hair grows at a pretty average rate during the winter, 3/4 an inch in the summer.

I know there is already an armpit challenge. Maybe do a search. I have been well past shoulder length for the past 6 months. But my hair just seems to be getting thicker (which is a great thing) and growing longer but not fast enough. I am giving myself until Jan. 08 to have healthy thickn armpit length hair. When i look at the fotki's I think man my hair sure does grow slow. But hey at least it is looking good

breezy said:
Many people have said that this is the hardest part of the growing process and I agree. I started at shoulder in Jan, and I''m still not a APL yet (only an inch away) It seems like it's taking forever, but the time does go by fast, don't worry.

Plus it seems to me that a lot of people get really discouraged during this stage, but once they reach APL they get to Brastrap in a matter of months. So it's all good!:)

Oh, and next time hubby wants some, you should laugh in his face! :lol:

ITA, this MUST be the hardest part of the process. I'm 5'7 too janeemat, and it tok me about a year and a half to get to FULL APL. However, I was bad in the beginning of 2005 (wearing my hair out and exposing my ends). That may be way it took so long. Also, although I was shoulder length in May '05, my hair was also really thin and damaged. It took a lot of time for my shorter pieces to fill in, giving me some thickness back. After that happened (beginning of 06), I started seeing the difference in length. THe main things I did were cutting down the heat and babying my ends.

But I agree with RabiaElaine (thanks so much for coming up with this challenge! When I think of not baggying my ends, I think of you being like :whip: put that hair away :lol: )...hide your hair during this time! It's helping me to retain a lot of length, keeping my ends healthy. I plan on doing this until I reach BSL.

Originally Posted by Sweetg
Hey,

did you use protective styles to help you out?

I did protective styling or low manipulation styles about 80% of the time. But now that my hair is shoulder length I will be incorporating protective styling 95% of the time in order to minimize breakage.

Originally Posted by janeemat
Looking good Miss.Que. That's how my hair looks. I need to do some pics and definitely needed to hear and see that.

Thank you! Maybe you are my hair twin. I would love to see some pics of your hair and follow your progress. I'm glad I could help;)

planodiva said:
I know there is already an armpit challenge. Maybe do a search. I have been well past shoulder length for the past 6 months. But my hair just seems to be getting thicker (which is a great thing) and growing longer but not fast enough. I am giving myself until Jan. 08 to have healthy thickn armpit length hair. When i look at the fotki's I think man my hair sure does grow slow. But hey at least it is looking good

This is what's happening for me too :) . THat's why I want to show it off so much, I love thick healthy hair. I can't believe I used to wear my hair straight when it was lookin scraggly and a HAM :lachen: .

I agree with the ladies who say that SL to APL is a big hurdle but greater accomplishment. It took me a very long time and I don't think I cross the line until I got serious about protective styling and moisturizing. It probably took me about 10 months in total. But like I said, I was slow growing!

i always thought neck length to shoulder was the hardest. at least for me. i feel that once i get to shoulder i can easily get to APL cause i would be able to do protective styling.

janeemat said:
Ladies, how long did it take you to get from shoulder length to arm pit length. I'm tall, around 5'7" and this looks impossible. My husband laughs when I told him that next year this time my hair would be arm pit length. He did stretch my freshly relaxed hair down my back with a tape measurer and informed me that I needed 4 and 1/2 inches to reach APL. This looks like this would be the biggest hurdle since I've NEVER had hair past my shoulders.

Hi janeemat,

It took me 6 months to get from shoulder length to APL. Well, Actually I will be APL when I relax in two weeks. What helped me was protective styling, bagging ends, shampoo and deep condition every 3 days and my hair vitamins. If you are dedicated to growing your hair, you will have to work hard and DO NOT slack up. HHG:)

Last edited:
EbonyHairedPrincess said:
Hey I feel your pain I am just passing APL now (my pictures are a little old). I have a game plan for getting to APL by July. I am 5’9” so it going to be some work. I have about roughly 5 inches to go. The key is maintain my length. So I moisturize & seal the ends 2x a day morning and night. Since this length is hard to get past because of friction to my ends, I will be rocking buns and French rolls and wet bunning as my protective style. I was also reading another post that talked about surging using a high protein diet and vitamins and protein shakes. I will check this out to see if it’s safe and how to do it. I do the vitamins and periodically I do the whey protien shakes but as long as it’s safe I will concentrate on the nutrition part and post the results. I wish you the best.

You're on the right track to getting those 5 inches. Your game plan is on point this is exactly what I do to keep my length and believe me I keep it all:p

Back