Naturals & Transitioners: Wash Hair in Sections or Not???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
If you are a NATURAL...
1. Do you wash your hair in sections or all smoothed back?
a. If you wash in sections - how many sections do you section off before washing?
b. If you wash all smoothed back - how long is your hair, and do you detangle in sections after washing or not?

If you are TRANSITIONING (or former transitioners)...
1. Do you wash in sections or all smoothed back?
a. If you do wash in sections - how many sections do you wash in, and how long have you been transitioning?
b. If you wash all smoothed back - do you detangle afterwards, and what's the main hairstyle you wear?

*Any other information/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated... especially from you bun wearers! Thanks in advance! :kiss:

balisi

I wash my hair all smoothed back. It is currently about 7.5 inches long and completely natural. I usually detangle in the shower, all back, working from left to right.

kristina

I'm a natural (well technically I have a little bit of texturizer on the tippy tips but that's going away)
1. I wash in braided section when I'm being good. When I'm being lazy or really feel like getting my scalp scratch on, I wash sections unbraided and then braid.
2. I always make four sections
3. my hair's pretty long- not quite BS but hopefully when I get these braids of death out

Poobity

If you are a NATURAL...
I wash my hair in sections. My hair would be a knotted mess if I tried to wash it all smoothed back.

a. If you wash in sections - how many sections do you section off before washing?
Nine sections. My hair on the left side is thicker than the hair on the right. So, five sections on the left; four on the right.

b. If you wash all smoothed back - how long is your hair, and do you detangle in sections after washing or not?

n/a

mkstar826

supersonic

SECTIONS! If I didn't I'd have a tangled mess.

5-6

MeccaMedinah

I wash my hair all smoothed back. It is currently about 5 inches long and completely natural. I usually detangle in the shower, all back, working from left to right.

Yep, me too. :up: I wear twistouts all of the time (cause I'm a punk & styling challenged). :ohwell:

caligirl

I do 2 sections...it's a pain to do more than that. I rinse both sides, then apply shampoo to both sides, then rinse both sides, then apply conditioner to both sides and pin up with butterfly clips to go under the heat cap.

Poohbear

caligirl said:
I do 2 sections...it's a pain to do more than that. I rinse both sides, then apply shampoo to both sides, then rinse both sides, then apply conditioner to both sides and pin up with butterfly clips to go under the heat cap.
I might go back to doing two sections (with a middle part), which I did before I started being lazy by washing my hair all smoothed back. When I tried four sections, I still experienced a good amount of shedding and breakage for some reason... but not as much as I did when I washed my hair all smoothed back and then tried to detangle in sections.

Last edited:

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I wash my hair smoothed back.

I try to make sure there are no tangles BEFORE I wash though

vangrey

going on six months transitioning
1. since i am on a no-comb challenge, i keep a part down the middle and i wash my hair like that. gently massaging my scalp with the shampoo... don't pay attn to the ends or anything. just wash the scalp.
2. before washing my hair, i soak my hair with water and coat it with ddta, then let sit for about a couple of minutes then comb through and rinse. then wash. this is the only time that i detangle my hair. when i get out the shower i airdry in a rollerset then braidout for the rest of the week.

lsubabiedee

Poohbear said:
If you are a NATURAL...

1. wash it all smoothed back, washed in sections once and didnt like it
b. my hair is 7-9inches, and nope i dont detangle in sections...my hair is fairly fine and when under water it detangles a lot on its own

I am natural (4a) and I wash my hair in 5 sections. I have fine hair that tangles very easily, so although it is tedious to do this, it has cut down on the amount of tangles and knots.

Kha

If you are a NATURAL...
--> All smoothed back for conditioner washes and in sections on major wash days.

--> Four

--> My hair is past bra strap and it depends on how bad my hair is tangled. Generally, when doing conditioner washes I wash/rinse/detangle my hair is two sections (left and right side).

moda

If you are a NATURAL...
--> All smoothed back

--> My hair is about 2in to bra strap. Sometimes I comb all my hair w/o sectioning, other times I place it in 4 sections, I guess whether I section or not depends on how I will be styling my hair, hmmmm never thought much about it

Poohbear

:scratchch Hmmm... I've noticed the ladies with thicker hair wash their hair in sections while the ones with finer hair wash all smoothed back...

I have fine textured hair and maybe washing/detangling in sections is a little bit too much manipulation...

Vangrey, I may try what you do with this no-comb challenge. The only reason why I had a bad experience with washing my hair all smoothed back was because I tried to detangle in 4 seperate sections afterwards. I'll just gently detangle my hair while it's all smooth back with conditioner in it, and then it would be easier for me to style my hair into a bun. :yep:

lbellin

I have thick hair and I CAN ONLY WASH IN SECTIONS. If I even attempt to wash my hair all together then it takes forever to detangle.

If are still transitioning and from your previous post about the shedding, it might be easier for you to wash in sections and that way you would not lose so much. I know that it helped me when I transitioned.

SilkyandSmooth

Poohbear said:
a. If you do wash in sections - how many sections do you wash in, and how long have you been transitioning?
b. If you wash all smoothed back - do you detangle afterwards, and what's the main hairstyle you wear?

*Any other information/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated... especially from you bun wearers! Thanks in advance! :kiss:

A. Neither. I wash my hair in the sink, so all of my hair goes forward. I shampoo/condition the back of my head first and then make my way forward.

B. I always detangle afterwards and I rarely have a hard time with it. My main hairstyle is a ponytail. After I put on my leave in and coconut oil, I let my hair air dry in two ponytails. In the morning, I'll throw on a little Elasta QP Mango Butter and Fantasia Frizz Buster gel and brush my hair back into a ponytail. It's as simple as that.

Poohbear

SilkyandSmooth said:
A. Neither. I wash my hair in the sink, so all of my hair goes forward. I shampoo/condition the back of my head first and then make my way forward.

B. I always detangle afterwards and I rarely have a hard time with it. My main hairstyle is a ponytail. After I put on my leave in and coconut oil, I let my hair air dry in two ponytails. In the morning, I'll throw on a little Elasta QP Mango Butter and Fantasia Frizz Buster gel and brush my hair back into a ponytail. It's as simple as that.
Interesting!!! :)

Lee

Transitioner Here

I wash my hair sectioned and braided.

I wash in four sections, two on each side. I have been transitioning for 5 months.

dada315

i've been transitioning for over 9 months and have very thick hair. i wash, condition, and detangle in 2 or 4 sections, depending on what hair style i had been wearing. i haven't trimmed any relaxed hair off in a while so my hair's pretty long. if i washed all back, i don't know what it would take to detangle!

sprungonhairboards

I'm all natural and wash my hair all smoothed back. I've tried sectioning but found it was just an unnecessary extra step. Though I have to say it made detangling a little faster because it was stretched out more afterwards, not as much shrinkage. But not enough to justify the extra step because my hair combs out pretty easily anyway.

My hair is shoulder length at the shortest parts and longer in the back and very thick. I detangle in sections after washing and add leave in and moisturizer in sections. That's the only way I could make sure I get even distribution.

Good luck Pooh

Tru_Mind

All smoothed back.

My hair is chin length.

My hair doesn't tangle(maybe it's because of the products that I use), but I comb it back first than I brush it back, so that it would slick to my head.

Healthb4Length

1. I am texturized but I only get touch-ups 2 times a year so technically I'm a transitioner. I prefer to wash my hair in sections, since I have so much volume it helps me washing it in sections. BY doing so I cut down on detangling time.

a. I used to wash in 4 sections, but as my hair reaches closer to bra lenght I'm finding that just 2 or 3 sections suffices.

www.fotki.com/nubian7
password:hair

sharee

all smoothed back my hair is thin and fine so no need to section. I have no idea how long my hair is....

unassisted bun (ALL fillers break my hair), braidouts, ponytails, rollersets

Poohbear

This thread has been very helpful in finding out how I should wash and detangle my hair in a way to avoid a lot of breakage and shedding.

THANKS SO MUCH LADIES!!! :kiss: I LOVE LHCF!!! :yay:

balisi

Poohbear said:
:scratchch Hmmm... I've noticed the ladies with thicker hair wash their hair in sections while the ones with finer hair wash all smoothed back...

I have fine textured hair and maybe washing/detangling in sections is a little bit too much manipulation...

Vangrey, I may try what you do with this no-comb challenge. The only reason why I had a bad experience with washing my hair all smoothed back was because I tried to detangle in 4 seperate sections afterwards. I'll just gently detangle my hair while it's all smooth back with conditioner in it, and then it would be easier for me to style my hair into a bun. :yep:
That should definitely work out for you, since you plan to style it into a bun afterwards. :)

locabouthair

Im natural and today was the first time I did my hair myself. I washed it in sections and detangled in sections and I did not have any problem detangling. The only thing was that it was time consuming but it makes the process easier.

Victorian

old head
Poohbear said:
If you are a NATURAL...

a. Neither, really. I wash it straight down. In other words, I have a part in the front of my hair, so the hair in the front gets washed down the side of my face. So it's closer to being "all smoothed back" but technically the front isn't pulled back.

b. I guess about 5-7 inches...not sure exactly. I sort of detangle with my fingers while I'm in the shower but that's it. Lately I've been avoiding the comb.

babyblue

always in 4-6 sections. i dont wash each section individually, but i kind of scrub it all together at the same time while the hair is sectioned off. hope that makes sense:look:

Ronda123

b. If you wash all smoothed back - do you detangle afterwards, and what's the main hairstyle you wear? I wash my hair all smoothed back. I detangle afterwards, the main hairstyle I wear is a braidout. My hair is currently chin length (slowly cutting off relaxed ends). I have fine textured hair.