For those ladies that do not have a house water filter................

NewYorkgyrl

What would you suggest????? Many of us have shower filters. But it has been stated in many threads that shower filters do not take care of the hard water problem. If you live in an apartment and there is no way to use a house water filter what other options are there???

Would washing with distilled water be a better option? If so how would this be easier for detangling, especially those that detangle under the shower head or who wash hair in sections (like transitioners)?

Is rose water a better option to use only on wash days not co-wash days?

Please leave your thoughts and suggestions......

SignatureBeauty

I have a shower filter and it helps out alot for my hair & skin, No it doesn't eliminate the Hard water & calcium, chlorine etc. But it makes less of it coming on my hair & skin and my hair feels better and so does my hair.

Distilled water @ wal mart are like 69cents. But if it will work for you then by all means do so, I know how it is to have hardwater and it is a mutha.

But I do keep alot of distilled water around for Hurricane season to wash my hair with If I am away from home during that time because my people live in the country and have alot of rust in their water and it shows LOL!!!

Last edited:

sareca

Yeah, this is one of my platforms. People always think a shower head filter will remove hard water. A hard water filter is about 3 feet tall and about 9 inches around. It's not gonna fit on your shower head.

I tried the distilled water thing, but it takes a lot of water to rinse properly. Instead I clarify every couple weeks with Ion Purifying Solutions Crystal Clarifying Treatment . To keep the hard water minerals off until it's time to clarify again I use Ion Purifying Solutions Hard Water Conditioner. It helps. They have a poo too, but I haven't tried it. Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor says it displaces hardwater minerals in hair, but I've only used it once so I don't have an opinion on that yet.

HTH

joyous

I usually rinse my hair under the shower thoroughly and then do a final rinse with distilled water. It helps, I can tell the difference.

silverlotus

Another thing that helps is a good chelating shampoo. I have very hard water in my dorm & no matter what I did, my hair would be bone dry, and I also don't have the option of installing a filter. After reading this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=68770&highlight=redken+cleansing+cream, I picked up Redken Cleansing Cream & it definitely helped my conditioner to penetrate my hair, for once. There are others listed in that thread besides the Redken, so you have a lot of options. It should help with the hard water problem.

God's Anointed

I use the Ion purifying shampoo for hard water. Now that i'm thinking about it, i think it has really helped me. Whn i first moved to where i'm now, my hair fell out no matter what i did to it, keeping moisture was a huge issue. Now, i try to use this shampoo once a month and I believe it's helping me retain length.

thiccknlong

sareca said:
Yeah, this is one of my platforms. People always think a shower head filter will remove hard water. A hard water filter is about 3 feet tall and about 9 inches around. It's not gonna fit on your shower head.

I tried the distilled water thing, but it takes a lot of water to rinse properly. Instead I clarify every couple weeks with Ion Purifying Solutions Crystal Clarifying Treatment . To keep the hard water minerals off until it's time to clarify again I use Ion Purifying Solutions Hard Water Conditioner. It helps. They have a poo too, but I haven't tried it. Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor says it displaces hardwater minerals in hair, but I've only used it once so I don't have an opinion on that yet.

HTH

I am soooo with you on this. The water here where I live is SUPER hard. after rinsing, my hair wouldn't feel like hair. It felt like thick brillo. And this is AFTER keracare humecto or curl activator and oil...I have used ALLLLL kinds of softeners and moist conditioners, but hard water will supercede them all.

They are right. Show filters only filter 30% (or so I'm told by a lowes rep) of chlorine...that leaves 70% or chlorine AND calcium and magnesium that hardens the hair.

The key is a water SOFTENER. This exchanges the hair hardening minerals calcium, magnesium, etc with mild salt to soften the water. They are connected to your water heater and water line. The cheapest I've seen in 457. But I hear they make a big difference. I'm now looking to find someone who can install it for me before I buy. Some co's will cost 230 + just to do that.

Now , there are filter SYSTEM as opposed to shower filters...The filter SYSTEM is connected to the water heater also...and there are some that connect only to the water faucet or water pipe of the area you want to filer ( ie kitchen fawcett) that are like 30 - 100 bucks.

I would like to get a water softener, water filter and a shower filter.

HoneyDew

I don't have a filter and my water has chlorine and mineral deposits. I can smell the Chlorine sometimes and I did a water test to find out about the mineral content. I think No-Lye relaxing (calcium) does not help.

I used a filter and it actually made my water feel weird. They best thing that has worked for me are Chelating shampoos. My favorite are Kenra Clarifying, Redken cleansing cream and the ION shampoo for swimmers. The Ion has a conditioner for swimmers, as well. I may give that a try sometime.

Since I have been using those consistently, specific problems that I used to have with my hair (dryness, dull color with no shine, brittleness, brassy tones) are nonexistent.

I don't plan on getting a water softener, because I don't like the water with those things. I washed my hair with softened water and it did not seem to get as clean. The chelating shampoos with my house's tap water has worked out just fine.

thiccknlong

HoneyDew said:
I don't have a filter and my water has chlorine and mineral deposits. I can smell the Chlorine sometimes and I did a water test to find out about the mineral content. I think No-Lye relaxing (calcium) does not help.

I used a filter and it actually made my water feel weird. They best thing that has worked for me are Chelating shampoos. My favorite are Kenra Clarifying, Redken cleansing cream and the ION shampoo for swimmers. The Ion has a conditioner for swimmers, as well. I may give that a try sometime.

Since I have been using those consistently, specific problems that I used to have with my hair (dryness, dull color with no shine, brittleness, brassy tones) are nonexistent.

I don't plan on getting a water softener, because I don't like the water with those things. I washed my hair with softened water and it did not seem to get as clean. The chelating shampoos with my house's tap water has worked out just fine.

It's clean. It's just how soft water is. It doesnt "feel" clean. Its just the hard water leaves mineral behind that gives that non soapy clean.

HoneyDew

thicknlong said:
It's clean. It's just how soft water is. It doesnt "feel" clean. Its just the hard water leaves mineral behind that gives that non soapy clean.

I thought so, but it really wasn't. My hair felt sticky like the cones were still there. I used to use serum daily for shine. I clarified weekly to rid my hair of the cone build up and the softened water just did not do it in 2 rinses with my clarifying. I shampooed my hair twice during that trip - same thing. It was not until I went to a hotel during that same trip and washed my hair when I could really get my hair clean the way I liked it.

I was thinking of getting a softener before that trip, but changed my mind. I googled on the subject and found that soft water does have the effect for some. Maybe it is just the products I used.

Anyway, it made me realize that an in home softener was a waste of cash for me.

MrsHouston

thicknlong said:
I am soooo with you on this. The water here where I live is SUPER hard. after rinsing, my hair wouldn't feel like hair. It felt like thick brillo. And this is AFTER keracare humecto or curl activator and oil...I have used ALLLLL kinds of softeners and moist conditioners, but hard water will supercede them all.

They are right. Show filters only filter 30% (or so I'm told by a lowes rep) of chlorine...that leaves 70% or chlorine AND calcium and magnesium that hardens the hair.

The key is a water SOFTENER. This exchanges the hair hardening minerals calcium, magnesium, etc with mild salt to soften the water. They are connected to your water heater and water line. The cheapest I've seen in 457. But I hear they make a big difference. I'm now looking to find someone who can install it for me before I buy. Some co's will cost 230 + just to do that.

Now , there are filter SYSTEM as opposed to shower filters...The filter SYSTEM is connected to the water heater also...and there are some that connect only to the water faucet or water pipe of the area you want to filer ( ie kitchen fawcett) that are like 30 - 100 bucks.

I would like to get a water softener, water filter and a shower filter.
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

If you purchase it from Home Depot or Lowes they will install for a small fee.

Last edited: