Doing hair in sections

Bublin

Can someone please describe how they do their hair in sections whilst transitioning/all natural. I'm finding it a lot of hassle vs doing all my hair together.

I am 5 months post and my hair tangles so badly when wet.

I have tried washing in sections but i get shampoo in the parts i have already shampooed, especially when i'm rinsing it out. I need my scalp to get really clean and rinsed otherwise i get itchy.

Do you wash, rinse and condition each section then move on to the next or do you wash and rinse each section first and then start conditioning each section (ie going over each section twice)?

Bene

Have you tried shampooing in sections, and then rinsing all the hair once every section is done? Doesn't seem to make sense to shampoo and rinse one section, and then shampoo and rinse another.

Truth

^^Ditto :yep:.... How do you section? ..i've found that sectioning by doin a loose braids or twists helps avoid the tangles.. could just be me tho.. but hey.. HTH

Keedah

What I do is seperate my hair into 4 sections before getting in the shower. Once in I shampoo each section, rinse, apply conditioner detangle then put into 3-4 twists. Once done all sections I get out throw my plastic cap on and deep condition. I then rinse the conditioner out of the twists then take loose.

lbellin

Hey Bublin,

The same way I wash and dc in sections with my natural hair is the same way I did it while transitioning, but with the transitioning I would not leave the ends of my hair loose.

While transitioning, I would have my hair in very very loose braids. I would take each section down, starting with the back at the bottom and working my way up. It definitely helped with the two textures. There are some pics in my fotki on how I still [I am natural now] section my hair. The sections of my hair that are coarser and denser I have more sections, which makes it easier to detangle. The sections that are wavyier, I have bigger sections.

Hope that helps.

BlackMasterPiece

I learned the hard way back when I was transitioning that washing my hair loose is NOT an option lol.

I braid my hair in 10 braids and I just shampoo my hair in that state I pour the shampoo in my hand rub to lather and rub it in. To get your scalp clean you simply rub the root portion of each braid.

If my hair is already detangled prior to braiding, like if I'm washing after having a press or washing after a braid out or twist out, I dont even take each section down when washing I just wash/condition/DC while in the braids and my hair gets perfectly clean and remains tangle free throughout the entire process:yep:

If my hair needs to be detangled like if I was wearing a fro that week, then braid my hair in 9 or 10 while tangled. I drench my hair under the shower or the faucet I apply shampoo to my scalp and rub, I rinse that out then I apply a GENEROUS amount of conditioner and gently detangle once its fully detangled I leave the conditioner in and braid that section tightly. Once all my hair is clean and detangled then I rise my braids DC in those braids, rinse again and I'm ready to style.

Last edited:

PPGbubbles

I learned the hard way back when I was transitioning that washing my hair loose is NOT an option lol.

I braid my hair in 10 braids and I just shampoo my hair in that state I pour the shampoo in my hand rub to lather and rub it in. To get your scalp clean you simply rub the root portion of each braid.

If my hair is already detangled prior to braiding, like if I'm washing after having a press or washing after a braid out or twist out, I dont even take each section down when washing I just wash/condition/DC while in the braids and my hair gets perfectly clean and remains tangle free throughout the entire process:yep:

If my hair needs to be detangled like if I was wearing a fro that week, then braid my hair in 9 or 10 while tangled. I drench my hair under the shower or the faucet I apply shampoo to my scalp and rub, I rinse that out then I apply a GENEROUS amount of conditioner and gently detangle once its fully detangled I leave the conditioner in and braid that section tightly. Once all my hair is clean and detangled then I rise my braids DC in those braids, rinse again and I'm ready to style.

at the bolded this is what I do... and I air dry in them too