Naturals past with hair to SL or Longer Unstretched...

BrockStar

Naturals with hair to SL or Longer Unstretched...

How did you get there? I got a lot of growth last year with protective styling, but I want to wear my hair "out" and I'm afraid it will hinder my growth(I wanted to double it this year) :perplexed My simple reggie is to cowash n go everyday and do either a puff or just a headband, but that is a big change from my sew ins where I achieved so much growth...I want to know from those of you who have reached my ultimate goal, how did you do it and get to your length? If I have to go back to the sew ins I will, but I was hoping for a more "natural option"....anyone?

Last edited:
I think I'm shoulder length unstretched, but it's iffy- depends on how much shrinkage I'm having that day or with a given product.

I don't know how helpful my advice would be to you though, since I kept my hair pretty well covered up with braids, half-wig, a sew-in or pinned up in a claw clip the whole time. Even now I'm kinda scared to wear my hair loose and natural too often. I think because my curls are about SL and I don't want my ends rubbing on my clothes or exposed to the cold air. Hopefully as it gets longer I'll be more comfortable doing wash and gos.

(So, I know that was pretty much no help... sorry :sad:)

I think I'm shoulder length unstretched, but it's iffy- depends on how much shrinkage I'm having that day or with a given product.

I don't know how helpful my advice would be to you though, since I kept my hair pretty well covered up with braids, half-wig, a sew-in or pinned up in a claw clip the whole time. Even now I'm kinda scared to wear my hair loose and natural too often. I think because my curls are about SL and I don't want my ends rubbing on my clothes or exposed to the cold air. Hopefully as it gets longer I'll be more comfortable doing wash and gos.

(So, I know that was pretty much no help... sorry :sad:)

No actually that is help. You got your length by using mostly protective styling. Thanks for our input!

I just kept it simple and didn't use much products. My first year natural I did a lot of twist which helped my retain a lot of lenghth but then as it got longer I did a lot of wash 'n gos. I have to be careful now though because as it gets longer it's more prone to tangles/breakage. My main products during this summer was just my fantasia IC gel and some cheap SUAVE conditioner :drunk: lol I was on a budget!

I was going to say that i too got most of my length from wearing my hair braided under a wig, like from april 2006 to summer 07, and my hair went from ear length to wear a little past apl. i too am thinking about how i will retain more length now that my hair is longer, and i am right now doing the same thing because it worked so well, or a bun.

I got pretty good growth since i chopped (i think so anywayz :grin:)

Lots of conditioners, daily moisture, deep conditioning (protein and moisture), gentle handling and protective styles.

BUT, when i get the urge to wear it loose, i do (every blue moon i blow it out or flatiron) - i just don't do those things every. single. day.

TLC, moderation and commonsense :yep:.

well my hair's not quite that long yet but the back is grazing my shoulders & i've been worried about the rubbing up against my clothes so when I wear my wng (about everyday) I try to encourage as much shrinkage as possible by either paddle brushing or finger coiling... I don't know how long this will work for but it was working up until my hair was one inch above BSL(I recently cut 3 inches off) It's been working for me pretty well & my ends are happy hth

I got pretty good growth since i chopped (i think so anywayz :grin:)

Lots of conditioners, daily moisture, deep conditioning (protein and moisture), gentle handling and protective styles.

BUT, when i get the urge to wear it loose, i do (every blue moon i blow it out or flatiron) - i just don't do those things every. single. day.

TLC, moderation and commonsense :yep:.

Lynnie B wow your hair is gorgeous, that is a lush thick head of hair!:yep:

Re: Naturals with hair to SL or Longer Unstretched...

How did you get there? I got a lot of growth last year with protective styling, but I want to wear my hair "out" and I'm afraid it will hinder my growth(I wanted to double it this year) :perplexed My simple reggie is to cowash n go everyday and do either a puff or just a headband, but that is a big change from my sew ins where I achieved so much growth...I want to know from those of you who have reached my ultimate goal, how did you do it and get to your length? If I have to go back to the sew ins I will, but I was hoping for a more "natural option"....anyone?

it's sooo not funny :ohwell:......protective styles most of the time (braids with ext., weave, twists...)

I have been able to retain the most length by wearing protective styles (and being gentle with my hair when it is out), DC'ing once every two weeks, and moisturizing and sealing daily.

I just wanted to edit my previous post to this thread to say that in 2008 I've been wearing my hair out more and I have to stop- I am seeing more splits than I did all last year. :nono:I'm going back to the protective styling.

Yay new responses...I haven't gotten the extensions yet...I'll prob start up again this weekend..sigh...I guess whatever is best for the hair..I do however feel like it is growing a lot without protective styles, however, I want to reach my first goal by 2009...

My hair shrinks so much I don't think it will ever reach these lengths unstretched. My hair is BSL and it shrinks up to my ear. :nono:

Wow some great and interesting comments, guess I will definitely be doing some braids for sure! I'd love to hear more takes on this from others! Keep 'em coming!:grin:

Low manipulation and no direct heat were the biggest things for me. Do you detangle everyday for your co-wash?......this could possibly hinder your growth.

No heat, protective styling and regular detangling. Unlike most others, low manipulation (as in not detangling for many days/weeks) is the single WORST thing for my hair. I've learned this lesson too many times. Now I try never to go more than two or three days. That being said, I detangle only during washings, with a seamless comb and very, very gently. If I do this regularly, it's smooth going and no breakage. I do not use combs or brushes for anything else. I keep my hair clean. Use henna and good oils. Most of all, I keep it as simple as possible. I really don't do much to my hair.

Last edited:
Low manipulation and no direct heat were the biggest things for me. Do you detangle everyday for your co-wash?......this could possibly hinder your growth.

Hmm well recently I've been cowashing every other day and kind of fingercombing it. Then when I DC I detangle

Hmm well recently I've been cowashing every other day and kind of fingercombing it. Then when I DC I detangle
Well that sounds ok to me. The reason why I asked is because some hair can't take the manipulation of detangling daily. I tried it years ago and my hair got all thin.....didn't retain any length. When I wear wng's I try to detangle only once a week....sometimes twice. In between time I just co-wash and finger detangle a little.

My hair shrinks so much I don't think it will ever reach these lengths unstretched. My hair is BSL and it shrinks up to my ear. :nono:

Holy moly! Your hair is gorgeous though!!

I think this same thing is going to happen to my hair (shrink way up) when it gets to at APL and/or BSL.

I love wearing washngos to show my texture, aside from the shrinkage, but I find that my hair breaks more and sheds more when I wear it in it's natural kinky-curly state. From now til March I'm doing the DC challenge but blow-drying on low heat afterward and wearing a protective style (BUN...boring) just to try to retain some more length.

I'm dying to be able to get my hair SL when kinky-curly/unstretched. Right now it's a little below SL when blown out, but goes back up to mid-neck length when I do washngo.

Your "goal hair" is my hair goal. I think I had the same sew-in the other month. :yep: For it to be BSL unstretched though, it's probably going to have to be waist-length when blown out. Maybe by Summer'09 I'll be there. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
I love wearing washngos to show my texture, aside from the shrinkage, but I find that my hair breaks more and sheds more when I wear it in it's natural kinky-curly state. From now til March I'm doing the DC challenge but blow-drying on low heat afterward and wearing a protective style (BUN...boring) just to try to retain some more length.

I'm dying to be able to get my hair SL when kinky-curly/unstretched. Right now it's a little below SL when blown out, but goes back up to mid-neck length when I do washngo.

Your "goal hair" is my hair goal. I think I had the same sew-in the other month. :yep: For it to be BSL unstretched though, it's probably going to have to be waist-length when blown out. Maybe by Summer'09 I'll be there. Good luck to you!

Good luck to you too! Yeah Ur regimen sounds like mine...I'm always changing it up...This all sucks because you never know how your hair is going to act when its natural...you just kind of have to roll with it which is hard!!!

My hair is around MBL stretched, and unstretched it shrinks to just above shoulder length.

Because about 90% of the time I wear my hair in a bun, I feel that has contributed to me having very little breakage and helped me to retain most of my length. I wash/detangle/deep condition once a week but sometimes I'll throw an extra CW in there at some point during the week.

I would wear wash-n-go's, but I'm afraid that would cause too much tangling/breakage at this point :nono: If I wear a wash-n-go I probably wouldn't be able to keep it more than about 3 days. I think a stretched-out style (i.e., a twist-out) is safe for me to be able to do...

I am a little past shoulder length unstretched and my staple hairstyle was fingercurls which I did once a week and it lasted all week long. I didn't have to comb, brush or manipulate my hair for an entire week and I got a lot of compliments on the style. I miss it since I can't do it with my longer hair without it getting too tangled before the end of the week.

I wear mostly protective styles (a bun usually). I also have found a balance between deep conditioning and the right amount of moisture. Finding this has been a real trial and error process.

Back