Natural Ladies... How to prevent Wash n Go Stiffness!?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When I do a wash n go coily fro or a wash n go puff, some of my hair strands stick together when it's dry. How can I prevent hair strands from sticking together? Is there a certain type of product I can apply to prevent this?
Also, my hair is kinda stiff after wearing a wash n go puff, how can I prevent stiffness and instead have some flexibility?
I would like to wear a wash n go more often but I hate how hair strands stick together and the stiffness I get sometimes from wearing this style.
Thanks in advance!
Edited To Add: I don't use gel nor heavy products when I do wash n go's!!! ;)

Last edited:

sweetascocoa

the stiffness is from products you're using? what do you use? to prevent stiffness, i used to use a lightweight leave in like givanni direct and finish with castor oil. but when i used heavy products like gel and boots curl creme and some other curl creme, my hair would be stiff.

you might want to use a comb to seperate the strands that stick together. HTH

wyldcurlz

i don't know if this will help you because i've never worn curly fro or puff styles, but what helps prevent stiffness for me is also to use conditioner. when my hair is wet, i apply lots of conditioner, comb it thru, let it sit on my hair for a minute or two, then i give it a short rinse, squeeze out excess water, gently apply gel and go.

balisi

My hair tends to get a little stiff a day or so after I wash n go, but I find that if I shake it again (dry) to fluff it, and add a little oil it helps, although it still retains body. Not sure what you mean about the hairs sticking together, because I like my hair to "clump," if that's what you mean. Styling product and my denman brush allow for more clumping, which reduces the frizz factor greatly. So to avoid the stickiness you described, perhaps use less styling products.

Poohbear

Thanks ladies!
I forgot to mention that my hair is very tightly coiled, fine stranded, and dense and compacted.
I do not use gel and I do not use a lot of products (if any) when I do wash n gos. Most of the time, I use nothing at all. I just cowash, sometimes comb through, rinse, get out of the shower, apply Kids Organics shea butter lotion or nothing at all, and style in a puff or shake or plop. After it dries, some strands might stick together where you would not be able to separate with your fingers unless you are very very gentle.

Cheleigh

Poohbear said:
Thanks ladies!
I forgot to mention that my hair is very tightly coiled, fine stranded, and dense and compacted.
I do not use gel and I do not use a lot of products (if any) when I do wash n gos. Most of the time, I use nothing at all. I just cowash, sometimes comb through, rinse, get out of the shower, apply Kids Organics shea butter lotion or nothing at all, and style in a puff or shake or plop. After it dries, some strands might stick together where you would not be able to separate with your fingers unless you are very very gentle.

I have tight coils, compact, fine stranded hair too. My ends were starting to stick together, and I finally figured I needed a trim (which I gave myself Sunday).

You might want to start putting a creamy leave-in through your wet/damp hair, because sometimes the strands need lubricant to keep separate. For me, any product that has proplene glycol (suposedly a humectant) high on the ingredient list makes my hair hard/crunch. The products that are are currently giving me the best shake and go are:

Leave-ins:
Oyin Honey Hemp
Giovanni Direct

I've also fallen in like with the following products, one of which I use after my leave-in and before I S&G for all day long soft, moisturized (no crunch) hair:
-Curls Milkshake
-Blended Cutie Butter Me Up
-Blended Beauty Butter Styling Cream
-Blended Cutie Soft Curls & Swirls

I put a dab or two in my hand, emulifsy with a little water, and run through my dampened hair.

Poohbear

Cheleigh said:
I have tight coils, compact, fine stranded hair too. My ends were starting to stick together, and I finally figured I needed a trim (which I gave myself Sunday).

You might want to start putting a creamy leave-in through your wet/damp hair, because sometimes the strands need lubricant to keep separate. For me, any product that has proplene glycol (suposedly a humectant) high on the ingredient list makes my hair hard/crunch. The products that are are currently giving me the best shake and go are:

Leave-ins:
Oyin Honey Hemp
Giovanni Direct

I've also fallen in like with the following products, one of which I use after my leave-in and before I S&G for all day long soft, moisturized (no crunch) hair:
-Curls Milkshake
-Blended Cutie Butter Me Up
-Blended Beauty Butter Styling Cream
-Blended Cutie Soft Curls & Swirls

I put a dab or two in my hand, emulifsy with a little water, and run through my dampened hair.
Yeah, I'm getting a professional trim tomorrow. I did a minor trim a few days ago but I still have some raggedy ends. Thanks for the product recommendations, Cheleigh! :)

ajargon02

Poohbear said:
When I do a wash n go coily fro or a wash n go puff, some of my hair strands stick together when it's dry. How can I prevent hair strands from sticking together?
~Shake more

Is there a certain type of product I can apply to prevent this?
~Don't use a gel product. I use conditioner, and leave it in there.When I first started doing shake-n-go's I used to use the clear activitor w/ conditioner, and shake like it's going out of style! :lachen:
Also, my hair is kinda stiff after wearing a wash n go puff, how can I prevent stiffness and instead have some flexibility?
~again, I now use only watered down conditioner. It dries soft and defined, as you see in my avatar

I would like to wear a wash n go more often but I hate how hair strands stick together and the stiffness I get sometimes from wearing this style.
Thanks in advance!

good luck to you. I like to use suave conditioner w/ castor oil. I mix them together, then run my saturated hands through my dripping hair, and shake like crazy. For a puff, after shaking, I apply phhb(panty hose head band) for my puff, and use scraves to hold down the front/back. The front/back is very flat, the puff pops w/ soft curls that spring back up w/ shower steam and water mixed w/ eo's, conditioner, and oil in a spray bottle. Good luck to you:)