How do you maintain a wash 'n go?

Crysdon

I think a wash 'n go will be my new summer style. I did the low ponytail during the entire summer for the past three years and it was sooooo boring.

1) What products did you use?

2) What did you do to your hair at bedtime?

3) How do you prevent tangles?

4) Use a diffuser? Airdry? Tilt head upside down?

TIA

thiccknlong

I really " happened " upon that style when I was rushed for time.

1) What products did you use? My normal moist shampoo, a light protein, a moist conditioner and setting lotion and oil for definition and sheen

2) What did you do to your hair at bedtime? Interesting qst. I always wondered about this. I would take off the scrunchie and twist the nape of the ponytail up and wrap it just like that.

3) How do you prevent tangles? lol, I didn't. The ponytail hairs would be lying flat on top of my hair from twisting it up. Not to many tangles tho. But, when it started looking bad, I've put a bunch of oil on it first and comb it out..the oil prevented breakage, detangled AND gave it extra shine.

4) Use a diffuser? nope Airdry? yes and scrunch Tilt head upside down? NOOOOO...thats tangle fever.

Crysdon

Thanks for answering the questions thicknlong, but I meant a wash 'n go that hangs (no ponytail). Have you ever worn that style?

I wash and go a few times a month. I gets alot of attention when I do and it is cute.

rinse & Co-wash in the morning usually with humectress and a VO5 conditioner (usually melon) mixed together. After it is done driping but still very wet apply NTM Silk Touch and seal with coconut grease. My hair starts to curl as it dries so I tease it and scrunch a few times as it begins to dry until I get the desired look. Then I leave it alone.

2) What did you do to your hair at bedtime? Maybe wet it, put on NTM silk and a bonnet.

3) How do you prevent tangles? Very little manipulating in the shower. I let my hair lay flat while I condition. Then I gently gather and twist my hair up into a clamp while I soap up. Then I remove the clamp rinse my hair while it's laying flat, then rinse the soap off.

Partial air dry then apply the NTM and seal with coconut grease not oil to stop the ends from drying out and snagging. Occassionally I will rewet at work and re-tease/scrunch if my ends are looking dryed out.

ajargon02

Crysdon said:
I think a wash 'n go will be my new summer style. I did the low ponytail during the entire summer for the past three years and it was sooooo boring.
TIA

I do need to let you know that I am a natural :)
It depends on how long I am trying to have the wash n go. If I know that I want to work it for a week or more, while inthe shower, I use a mix of any of the suave fruit (vanilla, coconut,strawberry) conditioners mixed w/ castor oil watered down. I wet my hair under the shower head, not aggitating(scrubbing) my hair at all. Then I take the watered down conditioner mix, and while my head is tiled back, add it to my hair. Then I just let it drip while I shower, and right before I get out, I shake my head like crazy. for extra hold, I will put a little iso bouncy creme in my hands, and scrunch it in. It gives lasting soft hold. Daily I will either re-wet and shake, or just let the shower steam get to it, spritz w/ water( from my spray bottle) and re-shake again once out of the shower.

2) What did you do to your hair at bedtime?
I have a satin scarf that's like 1-2 ft long and I wrap the scarf round my hair so that the front/sides/back of my hair are lying down. This way in the morning, it's ready to wet/shake and go.

3) How do you prevent tangles?
LOL:) If I wear a shake and go for that long, no matter what I do, it's' a tangled mess when I am really to re-twist. I can't get round that!

I don't use any of thoes. I have heard that some liek to use the "plopping" from teh curly girl website, and I know so1913 uses a diffuser (or I think that she does) I just prefer to shake off most of the water, and let the rest air dry. My hair takes at least 4-7 hrs to dry completely anyway. It really just depends on how warm it it outside.
Hth! :)

frostydoll

I'm natural now but I used to wear the wash n' go when I was relaxed because it was more of a texlax anyway.

I used to use the Pantene Scrunching Gel this was like 6 years ago and I would scrunch my hair after applying. I don't really remember how I used to sleep at night lol. I was a freshman in undergrad when I started doing this so I don't even remember if I slept with a scarf lol.

While I transitioned I used Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade which worked really well and it's still a staple even though I'm natural now.