Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

[USER=378519 said:
girlonfire[/USER];19481965]How do you apply the fenugreek? Do you apply it to your scalp as well?

I apply it to my strands like a conditioner. And I also apply it directly to my scalp and massage it in.

Since I am wigging it, what I plan to try this week is to wet my hair nightly in the shower and either do a water rinse, cowash or DC, baggy for 15 minutes after, apply ACV spritz and then apply hazelnut oil and then the Dax Bergamot or the Qhemet BRBC and then twist back up. I want to see if that will help my moisture this week.

Today I M&S with HH SCM and java bean and honey balm. I oiled my scalp with Njoi Ayurvedic oil, most of my hair seems moisturized, but the hair near my roots seems dry. I may doing a mini steam treatment tomorrow (15 minutes or so).

Misted with Hairveda Silica Mist and sealed with Qhemet BRBC. The Silica Mist is a little too sticky for my hair, so will use it up and move onto something else. I am hoping with some practice I will be able to make my own mist.

Stretched my hair with curlformers. I had today off so I just put it in a bun. Did 5 braids for either a braid out or to put in a updo tomorrow. I like when my updos have some texture.

Instead of steaming tomorrow (later today technically) I moisturized the hair near my roots with HH marshmallow fluff, sprinkled a little water on my hair and baggied. Will see what these roots feel like in the afternoon.

[USER=292332]faithVA[/USER];19486649 said:
Misted with Hairveda Silica Mist and sealed with Qhemet BRBC. The Silica Mist is a little too sticky for my hair, so will use it up and move onto something else. I am hoping with some practice I will be able to make my own mist.

I make my own mist now and I love it so much more than commercial mists. I keep it simple with water, essential oils, and carrier oils, though I'm thinking of adding silk amino acids when my no buy is up. In the summer, I add glycerin. I tried adding conditioner and honey, but my hair didn't like either of those in the mix.

One thing that helped me was looking at commonalities in the mists I liked. I noticed they all had a lot of water and were light on oil. I used oils that i already liked, including some with antibacterial properties. Then I played around with it till I found the right mix. Also, the great thing about using mainly water is that I can just dump the mix if I hate it.

[USER=6714 said:
uofmpanther[/USER];19487421]I make my own mist now and I love it so much more than commercial mists. I keep it simple with water, essential oils, and carrier oils, though I'm thinking of adding silk amino acids when my no buy is up. In the summer, I add glycerin. I tried adding conditioner and honey, but my hair didn't like either of those in the mix.

One thing that helped me was looking at commonalities in the mists I liked. I noticed they all had a lot of water and were light on oil. I used oils that i already liked, including some with antibacterial properties. Then I played around with it till I found the right mix. Also, the great thing about using mainly water is that I can just dump the mix if I hate it.

Would you mind sharing your recipe/ratios? How much oil do you add to how much water?

I want to try a mist with water but also with my tea mix. I am also trying to see if the ph of the mist changes anything. I am thinking 7 is too high for my hair but still need to test it out.

I make my own mist but just call it water mix as it's mostly water that I add rose water, almond oil and a few drops of essential oils such as tea tree oil and peppermint oil. I like this mix better as it's really light, the PH is a little high but so far my hair likes it. I was using olive oil instead of the sweet almond oil but switched because it was too heavy on my hair.

Last night, I moisturized and sealed with my water mix and coconut oil. I think my hair is good till tomorrow. I might do an overnight GHE instead of just M&S.

When I washed, blow dried and straightened my hair the other day, I used too much product and it left my ends sticking together and looking stringy so I wasn't able to take a starting pic as planned. I then noticed my ends looked and felt a bit dry, so yesterday I decided to start m & s the ends 2 x per day.

I tried the LCO method before setting my hair. My hair feels good two days later, so I guess it worked well enough. The trick will be moisturizing my hair without it reverting. I may just use a cream or oil on my ends, rather than do the full LCO or LOC.

My hair felt ok today after using the Hairveda Silica mist with the Qhemet BRBC. It wasn't super moisturized but it wasn't dry either. It was only slightly sticky and not greasy. So that is good, especially since I know I am heavy handed.

Tonight, I spritzed with Natty ACV Mist, applied a little hazelnut oil and sealed my ends with Natty Butter. I am getting better with using only a little oil. I still need to work on the amount of butter I use on my ends. The Natty Mist felt good going on but I need to try it on clean hair.

Tonight I played around with my ph strips so I can start working on a mist of my own. It looks like I need to ad 1/8 tsp of ACV to 2 cups of tea to get a ph of 5. And I can add 1 Tbsp of marshmallow moisture balm to 2 Cups of water and also get a ph of 5. When I finish with the Natty Mist, I will play around with the moisture balm mist.

[USER=292332]faithVA[/USER];19487851 said:
Would you mind sharing your recipe/ratios? How much oil do you add to how much water?

I want to try a mist with water but also with my tea mix. I am also trying to see if the ph of the mist changes anything. I am thinking 7 is too high for my hair but still need to test it out.

Sure. I eyeball my oil ratio, so I'll pull out my measuring spoons tomorrow and try to give actual measurements. I've been meaning to do actual measurements for some time now, so this will force me to do it.

[USER=6714 said:
uofmpanther[/USER];19491455]Sure. I eyeball my oil ratio, so I'll pull out my measuring spoons tomorrow and try to give actual measurements. I've been meaning to do actual measurements for some time now, so this will force me to do it.

I played around with some oil and water tonight. I am thinking around 1/8 of a tsp might be enough.

I'm doing an overnight greenhouse effect. I haven't done one of those in a long time and I feel my hair needs some extra moisture.

Whew my hair looks and feels so much better today. Last night I steamed for 15 minutes with HH SCM and HH marshmallow fluff and then baggied over night. This afternoon I sealed with MHC Buttery Soy and baggied for an hour on my way to work. My hair is moisturized and a little greasy, but not bad at all.

My hair is doing a bit better. On a scale from 1 to 10 my moisture level is a 6 or 6.5. That is still low but it was much worse the past 2 months. I'm not sure if it is the products, that I am misting daily or because I'm wigging it.

I misted tonight with my marshmallow balm mix and sealed my ends with natty butter. I wanted to cowash but I'm getting home too late to be able to work it in. I will just wait until Friday and doing an overnight DC.

Doing an overnight DC tonight. Next week I'm going to experiment with using one herb all week. I'll be refreshing my hair with it and adding it under my DC.

I'm going to bring back shealoe butter so I can know if I like it before I place my next LC order. I can't remember what happened the last time I used it but I don't think it was anything bad. I'll be using it to seal. I'm going to alternate Shealoe and Safflower oil or use them both on the really cold days.

[USER=359241 said:
BranwenRosewood[/USER];19496559]Doing an overnight DC tonight. Next week I'm going to experiment with using one herb all week. I'll be refreshing my hair with it and adding it under my DC.

I'm going to bring back shealoe butter so I can know if I like it before I place my next LC order. I can't remember what happened the last time I used it but I don't think it was anything bad. I'll be using it to seal. I'm going to alternate Shealoe and Safflower oil or use them both on the really cold days.

What kind of herb are you going to use?

faithVA

I haven't decided yet. I have a combination of 30+ western and ayurvedic herbs to work through. I know certain ones have to be used in a blend or it'll cause dryness and some shouldn't be left in because they're cleansing so I can cross a few of the list.

I won't be using Oatstraw in this 'One Herb Experiment' because I DC'd overnight with it and realized it acts like protein on my hair. It would probably be to strengthening on it's own.

I might start off with fenugreek since I've been meaning to do a paste with it.

[USER=359241 said:
BranwenRosewood[/USER];19496687]faithVA

I haven't decided yet. I have a combination of 30+ western and ayurvedic herbs to work through. I know certain ones have to be used in a blend or it'll cause dryness and some shouldn't be left in because they're cleansing so I can cross a few of the list.

I won't be using Oatstraw in this 'One Herb Experiment' because I DC'd overnight with it and realized it acts like protein on my hair. It would probably be to strengthening on it's own.

I might start off with fenugreek since I've been meaning to do a paste with it.
Why are you doing one at a time?

faithVA

So I can see how my hair reacts to each one and eliminate the ones that do nothing for me or cause reactions. That's how I figured out I was allergic to Shikakai. I added it to a Brahmi/Maka mask that I used before with no problems and had to wash it out in 5 minutes due to crazy itching. It was the only thing different so I knew the culprit.

This is also going to be helpful when I start premixing herbal blends ahead of time. I'll know what each thing does and create the best mix for different occasions (henna, protein rx, refresher, dc'ing).

faithVA I haven't decided yet. I have a combination of 30+ western and ayurvedic herbs to work through. I know certain ones have to be used in a blend or it'll cause dryness and some shouldn't be left in because they're cleansing so I can cross a few of the list. I won't be using Oatstraw in this 'One Herb Experiment' because I DC'd overnight with it and realized it acts like protein on my hair. It would probably be to strengthening on it's own. I might start off with fenugreek since I've been meaning to do a paste with it.

BranwenRosewood
faithVA
Here are a few links with lists of herbs and what they do for hair

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/ingredients/faqherbhair.aspx

http://wiselymade.com/blog/best-ingredients-for-hair-and-skin/

http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/01/natural-remedies-for-naturally-curly.html?m=1

Hope this helps

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Thank you mshoneyfly. That is very helpful.

As I have been reading, I have read that I may want to opt for essential oils over herbs when I can because of their potency. I will be looking into that for this year. But I have a teas and herbs so I will use them up. Then I will replace each tea with an essential oil and make a blend. That will be much easier than brewing up tea each week.

Back