Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

Ogoma

@Ogoma

Your regi is ON POINT!!! And it makes good sense too. I am still listening to my hair's needs and wants and mostly playin' it by ear but I will get there soon.

So what is aloe gelly?

I LOVE this HHJ!!

mshoneyfly Thank you!

It is aloe vera gel. I use the Lily of the Desert brand and they call it Aloe Vera Gelly.

@Ogoma, nice regimen. I noticed that you use Kalpi Tone monthly. I purchased some but have not used it yet. Have you ever used Henna? If so, how do you compare the Kalpi Tone to Henna and what is your recipe for the Kalpi Tone?

Rozlewis Thank you

I actually have not used Kalpi Tone before. I will be starting February next year. I used to use henna, but it gives my hair a reddish-brownish tint I don't really like. I am hoping to get the benefits of henna and darken my hair with this one instead.

Rozlewis

mshoneyfly Thank you!

It is aloe vera gel. I use the Lily of the Desert brand and they call it Aloe Vera Gelly.

Rozlewis Thank you

I actually have not used Kalpi Tone before. I will be starting February next year. I used to use henna, but it gives my hair a reddish-brownish tint I don't really like. I am hoping to get the benefits of henna and darken my hair with this one instead.

Ogoma, let me know what you think after you use the Kalpi Tone. I am doing a henna treatment next week and I was thinking of using the Kalpi Tone.

heirloom

Count me in

Tell us About You
Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: I'm relaxed
Current Length: Between SL and APL
Current Products: ORS Aloe Shampoo, Loreal sulphate free shampoo, Aussie Moist 3 minute, Nexxus Humectress, Motions CPR, Vatika Egg Condish, Joico Moisture Recovery
Current Techniques:Wash once a week with DC, sometimes with steam
What in your regimen are trying to nail:Retention and finding a way to smooth my cuticles.
What's your starting strategy: I'm going to try AVC rinses and porosity control. I'm also going to check the ph of my products. In addition I want to look into more natural products, I may start making my own conditioners

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I tried flat ironing my hair for my birthday. It just reinforced that I should stick to wearing wigs or do a curlformer set when I want straight hair. The process took forever, my hair didn't get all that straight because I was afraid to go over 300 degrees, and I could not figure out what to do with my hair when I was done. Not worth it IMHO. I'm going to do a full blog post on the process so that I remember what I did.

On the upside, I will take this opportunity to trim my ends with my split ender.

If I ever use direct heat again, I'll use Curlformers to stretch my hair first, then flat iron. However, if I ever want bone straight hair, I'm sure I'll have to go above 300 with my flat iron. I'm not comfortable going there yet.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
faithVA can I please join this challenge? This will probably be my only challenge for 2014 cuz I really need to nail some consistency into my reggie :yep:. I will add my information soon.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Here is my information for the challenge.

Tell us About You
Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Natural

Current Length: APL

Current Products: I have a lot of products, but I will list what I'm currently using.
Shampoo/Treatments: Onion juice treatment, ayurvedic treatments, DIY poo, Terresentials Mud Wash with Lemon, Sheamoisture black soap poo
Conditioners: Bask Cocoa Bark conditioner, Bask Yam Nectar conditioner, Claudie's Revitalizer Normalizing conditioner, AOGPB, AOWC, SM Purification masque
Protein Conditioners: Shescentit Okra Reconstructor, AOGPB, and Bask Vanilla Whiskey Repairative Hair Soak
Leave-in conditioners: Smooth Naturals Ultimate Hair Treat, and Kimmaytube leave-in recipe
Moisturizer: Camille Rose moisture butter
Sealants: Pura Body Naturals Cupuacu butter, Castor Jelly mix (ends only)
Stylers: Duafe Naturals Flax Custard, DIY Flaxseed gel, TW Lock It Up gel
Oils: Vatika Frosting, Coconut oil, Castor oil, Argan oil, grapeseed oil, and Claudie's Revitalizer Temple and Hairline balm .
Currently sampling the Alikay Naturals line:
Lemongrass Leave-in
Dulce Hair Lotion
Shea Yogurt Moisturizer
Moisture Rich Hair Parfait
Creme Brulee Curling custard
Glazed argan oil silkener.

Current Techniques:
Prepoo with oil
Onion juice treatment for hair loss
Cowashing or DIY poo after each onion juice treatment
Shescentit Okra Reconstructor (as needed) or
AOGPB (on dry hair as needed)
Let water sit in hair for 15 min with plastic cap on wash day
Apply leave-ins on damp hair
Seal with oil or butter
Seal ends with Castor Jelly mix
Air dry in braids or twist then pin to stretch hair
Or Use Curlformers to stretch hair
Protective Styling 80% of the time for length retention

What in your regimen are trying to nail:
Regrow my bald spots
Thickening my hair
Figure out how to air dry my hair to leave it moisturized without crunchy roots
Figure out how to keep moisture in my hair for more than one day with my out styles
Figure out how to moisturize hair between washes
Perfect a twist out without it looking flat & stringy
Prevent my hair from swelling while wearing out styles
Figure out how to properly seal my ends
Revisit oil rinsing

What's your starting strategy:
Apply onion juice treatment daily for 30 days then reevaluate
Apply ayurvedic treatments monthly to help thicken hair
Test the LOC method then if it doesn't work try LCC, LCO, & LLCO
Test both leave-ins on wash day to see which one is better
Test oil rinsing by starting with dime size then increase size until I have the perfect amount that will leave me without greasy hair.
Test butters to see which will leave me without greasy hair
Test the pH of my products to determine what pH my hair likes
Test out the Alikay Naturals products to see if I can add any to my regimen

Anything else you want to share:

I have hypothyroidism and food allergies which I believe is affecting my hair. So I will be working on improving my health through diet, supplements, and exercise to help improve my hair.

Last edited:

alanaturelle

I flat ironed and trimmed a couple of inches off my hair. In January, I'll be experimenting with protein and see how my hair reacts to it. I'll also be micro-trimming more regularly going forward at least every 6-8 weeks. I received a hair steamer as a Christmas present and will be steaming once a week. This is my starting pic:

Attachments

• Dec 24th (2).jpg
    Dec 24th (2).jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 17

myfaithrising

Getting ready for my first abbreviated wash day. I'm in twists so I should be able to cut a couple of steps since its much easier for me to keep my hair moisturizer while its in twists

sissimpson

Another gold star week!
Started last Friday with a henna treatment. Mixed up 1/2 pack of Napur, and added everything my hair likes; honey, amla infused oil, mayonaise, silk protein powder, chamomile tea, cocoa powder, etc, etc, etc. Covered it with a plastic cap and slept all day (I work nightshift) The nice thing about doing it this way is it my henna mix never gets hard, and it's not a problem to wash out. Used a Peppermint Cowash I got in my last Curlkit (not enough peppermint to my taste, didn't get that 'tingle'). Then I used a moisturizing conditioner (bad girl, can't remember which one. I need to start journaling!). Kept it on about an hour, then rinsed, applied coconut oil and my leave in and twisted in about 8 twists. Used my own shea mix to seal the ends. The next day I had a nice twist out. Managed to re-do every day, big twists the first three days, then big bantu knots the last two. So proud of me, I actually did my hair every day. This morning when I get home from work, I'll apply a pre-poo before I go to sleep, then wash and twist when I get up. Next goal it to pay attention to the products I'm using!

faithVA

[USER=306389 said:
ilong[/USER];19413373]faithVA - I want to definitely be in this challenge - especially since I started a similar one this morning. :lachen: I didn't know you had started this challenge so I revised that thread to re-direct any viewers to this challenge. Hopefully, a moderator will see my request to delete the thread.

Question - is the challenge year long only? I can only commit to a regimen for 3 or 6 months at the most, which is ample time for results. I have a June goal so if something isn't helping me reach that goal I will need to replace it and revise my regimen.

The challenge length is unique for each person. Each person can end the challenge for themselves when they feel they have nailed their regimen. That could be 3 months, 9 months or 1.5 years. I will host it for 2014 but not 2015.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I've started my onion treatment and so far I've done it for 5 days. My scalp is starting to look less inflamed and more healthy. I also forgot to mention that I've been finger detangling my hair for the last 4 months since I had my updated hair analysis. It initially was a pain to do, but now I have finally figured out how to detangle my hair with my fingers :grin:. I'm now only using tools when I'm removing my twist extensions since this is a long term PS.

spellinto

:wave: Just wanted to update on successes and changes in my regimen:

I switched from Lacio Lacio back to Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave In. I've also added Africa's Best Herbal Oil to seal with. It has a ton of beneficial oils, including those with ceramides, to help strengthen my porous cuticles. I used this leave-in & oil combo for a long time but stopped for reasons I can't recall. Now that these products are back in my life (particularly the NTM) my hair is LOVING it!:love:

The new techniques I've incorporated are also working really well. Crosswrapping nightly has been a huge game-changer for my hair! I just finger detangle and wrap at night to wake up to smooth, cooperative hair in the morning. Moisturizing every other day has also been successful for me. Now I can style my hair without my strands sticking together from too much product. I section my hair into fours and I don't use more than a quarter-sized amount of leave in and two drops of oil for each section. Surprisingly my hair doesn't seem to dry out until the end of a 48 hr period.

The only thing I'm haven't fully progressed with yet is airdrying. I've learned that prepooing is really beneficial for me though. I plan on buying some coconut oil to prepoo with before my next wash.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I got a 6 inch cut a few days ago and am ready to start 2014 fresh.

ForumRunner_20131227_200552.jpg

The ends are still a little thin, but the splits are gone. Yes! I also finally got my Curlformers knockoffs so I'm ready to set all next year.

Muse

I just renewed my subscription after it expired about a year and a half ago just so I could join this challenge! It's right up my alley.

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Natural 4b
Current Length: APL (about to change after a much needed trim)
Current Products: Nubian Heritage Black Seed and Keratin, EVOO and Moringa, and Grow and Strength lines
Current Techniques: Wash and condition every other week, bun only, moisturize and seal as needed
What in your regimen are trying to nail: I am trying to lower the number of single strand knots. They are absolutely killing my progress! :wallbash: I also want to reduce the number of products I use.
What's your starting strategy: Go back to the Sabino Moisture Block regimen
Anything else you want to share: I was reading (lurking) on here recently and found my very first post. I was raving about Sabino Moisture Block and how great it did on my hair. It was amazing! I said I was going to use it for a year to see if I could retain length using just shampoo, conditioner, and MB like Mr. Sabino said I could. I didn't make it very long before I turned into a raging :jaws: PJ and the MB was tossed in a box to collect dust. I was cleaning out that box a week ago and found it. I remembered how great it was and then happened across my post here. I've been done product hopping for a while (been using Nubian Heritage exclusively for a year now) so now that the PJ is out of my system I know I can stick with the MB experiment that I wanted to start 5 years ago.

faithVA

You ladies have given me life. I am so glad to have some many joining us. I really hope we all nail our regimens in 2014. It would be nice to cruise into increased growth, retention and healthy hair.

alanaturelle

I'm in the middle of my wash day routine. I washed with diluted shampoo, proceeded with the Aphogee protein treatment, and now sitting under the steamer with a moisturizing deep conditioner. Later, I'll moisturize and seal with the L.O.C method and air dry in braids.

myfaithrising

I just finished up an abbreviated wash day as I washed in mini twists for the first time. I put the twists in six big twists and washed with diluted shampoo (carols daughter manoi line). I then skipped the deep condition and went straight to the LOC method. I applied my leave in, oil mix ( let that sink in under my heat therapy wrap) the applied a bit of DB's peach kernel hair milk to the length and followed up with QB's Amla & Olive Heavy Cream on the ends. Bantu knots to dry, ill probably sit under my dryer for a while, knots take sooooo long to dry on their own especially with wet hair. If these twists hold up, I will declare my undying love

faithVA

My hair has been in extensions for two weeks so doing an extended wash day. My hair isn't used to being put away. Last night I oiled my scalp with an oil blend and used Hairveda Cocasta oil on the length and spritzed with hydra silica tea mist and baggied overnight.

This afternoon I added Organicals Follicle Stimulating conditioner to my hair and scalp to soften it up some. I shampooed with 4 Naturals Extra Moist Detangling Shampoo. I did a tea rinse with green tea and marshmallow root. I am now DCing under my dryer with AO Island Naturals. I will do 45 minutes under the dryer. I will mist and reapply and then baggy for a few hours. I'm not sure if I will do another DC after that or go ahead and twist it up.

Once I finish with DCing I am going to compare LLC on the right with LOC on the left using AIA Leave-in, Purabody Sapote, Hazelnut Oil and Qhemet Burdock Root.

I will stick with staple products for the next few weeks to see if I can figure out LLC vs. LOC.

xxinsanexxchels

I want to join this challenge. I finally decided to bite the bullet and subscribe to this forum after YEARS of being a lurker lol.

Moving on..

Tell us About You
Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Transitioning since May so about 6/7 months post

Current Length: I got a semi big chop cut on 4/4/13 so majority of my hair is now neck length and ear length.
Current Products: Just made an order from naturellegrow on Etsy I told her about my hair and she gave me her best reccommendations

*Mango and Berries Detangling Cleansing Cream
*Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioner
*Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Cinnamon Deep Conditioner
*Ginger Peach herbal Leave-In Conditioning Spray
*NaturelleGrow Healthy Hair Cream Moisturizer

So while I have to wait for these to arrive the products I actually have
-L'oreal Total Repair 5 shampoo and conditioner
-Neutrogena Silk Touch Leave-In Cream
-Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditioner
-ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor
-Motions Nourish Leave-In Conditioner Spray
-Aussie Anti breakage Spray
-ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment
-Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Cream
-Paul Mitchell Straight Works
-Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum
-ORS Heat Protection Serum (I feel like this and their olive oil glossing polisher is the same thing except this smells better)
-Vidal Sassoon Spray Heat Protect and Shine
-Liquid Gold Hair Growth Oil
-Vidal Sassoon Spray Repaid and Finish
-Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Flat Iron Protector Straightening Mist w/ Argan Oil (I also added some additional Argan Oil)
-Brazillian Keratin Therapy Flat Iron Spray
No longer will use my XL 60oz Kanechom Chocolate and Silicon Mix because my hair hates cones alot and started breaking off from use of the products both alone and together.

Current Techniques: I don't really have any. Maybe I can get some by participating in this challenge?

What in your regimen are trying to nail: I need to find a good cleanser that doesn't strip my hair and I need to find something good for moisture and sealing w/o greasiness and heaviness. I need to figure out when to use protein and how my hair specifically handles moisture-protein balance while natural.

What's your starting strategy:My starting strategy is to wait for my products to get here and start using only natural products and no longer putting chemicals on my hair with special emphasis on cleansing and retaining moisture all day.
Anything else you want to share: I have started taking Hairfinity vitamins on 12/23/13

Last edited:

faithVA

I want to join this challenge. I finally decided to bite the bullet and subscribe to this forum after YEARS of being a lurker lol.

[\QUOTE]

Welcome to the thread. It sounds like you have a good plan. I hope the NaturelleGrow products work for you. I am hoping to give them a try later this year.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
So this week I tested oil rinsing to see if its something I should add to my reggie. The first time I tried it, I cowashed then added 10 drops of jbco mixed with vatika frosting per each section (4 sections total) then rinsed. I added my leave-ins then air dried. My hair was slightly greasy when I took down my braids, but my hair did feel moisturized. The second time I applied 10 drops of the same oil mix after I used my diy poo. I then added my deep conditioner on top of the oil and dc'd for 1 hr then rinsed and applied my leave-ins. This time my hair wasn't greasy but I did have a little bit of residue on my fingers. My roots were extra soft this time around and my hair felt soft and moisturized. I think if I want to oil rinse on the days I don't dc then I will need to use less oil per section. So I will try that tonite since I'm washing my hair daily for my onion treatment.

faithVA

[USER=266376 said:
tashboog[/USER];19441867]So this week I tested oil rinsing to see if its something I should add to my reggie. The first time I tried it, I cowashed then added 10 drops of jbco mixed with vatika frosting per each section (4 sections total) then rinsed. I added my leave-ins then air dried. My hair was slightly greasy when I took down my braids, but my hair did feel moisturized. The second time I applied 10 drops of the same oil mix after I used my diy poo. I then added my deep conditioner on top of the oil and dc'd for 1 hr then rinsed and applied my leave-ins. This time my hair wasn't greasy but I did have a little bit of residue on my fingers. My roots were extra soft this time around and my hair felt soft and moisturized. I think if I want to oil rinse on the days I don't dc then I will need to use less oil per section. So I will try that tonite since I'm washing my hair daily for my onion treatment.

The thing I have always wondered with oil rinsing before a conditioner, is how does the conditioner penetrate the shaft if the oil goes on first? Or is that just a problem for low porosity ladies like myself?

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
The thing I have always wondered with oil rinsing before a conditioner, is how does the conditioner penetrate the shaft if the oil goes on first? Or is that just a problem for low porosity ladies like myself?
faithVA I always wonder about that too, but my conditioner still seemed to work on my hair even with the oil on top. However, as u know I have normal to high porosity hair and it seemed to still work for me, but it may not work for ur lo po hair. I no oil rinsing can be done several different ways so its a matter of finding the right technique for ur hair. Tonite I will adjust my action plan and cowash without oil rinsing so that I can compare my results from yesterday :yep:.

Beany

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Natural
Current Length: BSL
Current Products: So so much in my stash, but mainly Yes to carrots pampering conditioner, BASK Yam, and various oils
Current Techniques: I DC with steam weekly for 30 min, I baggy nightly (thinking about changing this), I'm typically in twists or twist outs (style challenged lol). M&S as needed, Clarify as needed, light protein weekly (might change), cowash weekly. Color every 3 months (approximately)
What in your regimen are trying to nail: Making my hair moisturized, but not greasy. Cutting down on splits and SSKs, get on an appropriate dusting/trimming schedule
What's your starting strategy: Steaming is a must so I will continue with that. Everything else will be by ear
Anything else you want to share: I'm in the use up your stash challenge so my products and techniques will change throughout the challenge in an effort not to waste anything