Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

curlyTisME

Change of plans ladies, no Havana twists for me. I decided that I need to spend some time caring for my hair without weave. I decided that the month of April will be for me to learn my hair and what it likes and dislikes. I have clarified for the start and all I have done is moisturize and seal with aloe vera juice and water spritz followed by sealing with olive oil. Today I trimmed my ends and deep conditioned with SM restorative conditioner, I sealed the conditioner with castor oil and I plan to let it set a few hours. My main goal is to get my ends moisturized. Seems like no matter how much I moisturize and seal my ends (I never use heat) I still have dry brittle hairs! Can we say annoying!

spellinto

Oooohkay.

So I had a fresh touch up two weeks ago and I'm pretty happy with the results. I would attribute the improvement to the new hair care changes I've adapted, so I guess I am slowly but surely "nailing my regimen." Yay! The first photo's from my November touch-up, the next two are from March. I had full trims in all three photos. You can see from the pictures that my hair looks a lot shinier and smoother in the second one, with less of those shorter, static looking hairs (I still have them, they're just smoother now I guess). My only disappointment is that my this trim made my hair look shorter (or is it just me?) but overall I'm happy to see improvement. My stylist is trying to convince me to come in May for another full trim :ohwell:...I think I want to handle the trimming on my own for now though.

For this relaxer stretch, I'm going to sit down and develop 3-4 goals for my hair. One of them is to play around with more low manipulation styles (particularly flexi rods) and enjoy my hair more. I have a theory that maybe my ends split from bunning so often, so I'm going to observe how they act when they're out in the open. That could be a miss, but it's worth a shot. My ultimate goal, besides reaching hip length again, is to become one of those ladies who only trim every six months or less!

Attachments

• 20140324_084206.jpg
    20140324_084206.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20140320_144208.jpg
    20140320_144208.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20140320_144128.jpg
    20140320_144128.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 24

snoop

Last night detangled with Giovanni 50:50 Hydrating Calming conditioner and water. Left it on overnight. Washed with Giovanni Smooth As Silk shampoo then a quick condition with 50:50 again. Can't say the pre-poo made a difference, but much easier to detangle with conditioner than not.

I think I will try mud washing every other week until I can perfect making my own wash formula. I will either co-wash or shampoo in between.

I need to finish properly detangling so that I can do a good dusting session. Buns look nice but they're as good for my hair as maintaining a days old twistout. Both totally knot up my ends by the week's end. I think I need to learn how to comb my hair out after stretching it, then trying a style like that. Also my hair needs lots of liquid/moisture for the m/s process so maybe bunning for a half week is more realistic until I gain more length.

faithVA

[USER=334345 said:
Ogoma[/USER];19858641]I think I have created a dupe for the Ouidad Curl CoWash. I think it is even better than the Ouidad on my hair. I am so excited :yay:. Only did a little part of my hair, but can't wait to test it out on wash day tomorrow.

Please share

LdyKamz

Third day of cowashing and my hair is really soft. I'm afraid to keep going because I am out of AOGPB. It won't be here until later in the week. I usually never run out.

I would like to straighten my hair so maybe I can use Joico K-Pak and wear my hair straight for the next week.

faithVA

ETA: @alanaturelle I too an using my fingers to detangle. I only use my combs to creat parts or for sectioning; although once detangled I'll gently brush then comb through small sections.

At the beginning of the year, I unraveled my 4-y/o shoulder length locks. For the first time since the 1970's I'm experience life with natural hair.

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning:
Newly unlocked natural
Current Length:
Just below collar bones. Fine strands, and sparse in the crown area.
Current Products:
Shampoo: Castille soap/Coconut milk mixture. Spritz: Basil EO/Lemon EO/Magnesium oil mixed in Distilled water/ Ultra-Sheen Pressing cream. Grapeseed or Olive or Castor oils used as needed
Current Techniques:

No real technique but washing at least every 14 days. The entire process is completed with my hair in ponytails/twists to improve managability & lessen tangles. I prefer to air dry. I found my hair does better with less products; best twist performance created with just Grapeseed oil.
What in your regimen are trying to nail:
Parting for twist-outs and also pressing.
What's your starting strategy:
Wash in twists, stretch after a few days; flatiorn during the last week (or few days); then retwist or section-off before washing again.
Anything else you want to share:
Yep, I'm taking notes from the rest of you guys. I'm considering getting a different more professional flat-iron.

Welcome glad to have you join us.

faithVA

:lol:
I'd like to join, I just big chopped three weeks ago ( I still have some relaxed hair in the front, otherwise my hair cut doesn't work)

Trying to figure out what is best for my hair right now.

Natural (85%)/Transitioning (15%)
Current Length:
ear length unstraightened, neck length straightened
Current Products:
Right now the only thing I absolutely love is Cantu coconut curling creme. Everything else I'm still trying out...
Current Techniques:
cowash every 5 days, thinking of moving this up to every three, and then I've been setting my hair on perm rods and flexi rods, will start trying twistouts soon
What in your regimen are trying to nail:
moisture and strength, trying to keep my hair super healthy as it grows out.
What's your starting strategy:
Test and trial

Welcome to you too. Glad you jumped right in.

faithVA

Oooohkay.

So I had a fresh touch up two weeks ago and I'm pretty happy with the results. I would attribute the improvement to the new hair care changes I've adapted, so I guess I am slowly but surely "nailing my regimen." Yay! The first photo's from my November touch-up, the next two are from March. I had full trims in all three photos. You can see from the pictures that my hair looks a lot shinier and smoother in the second one, with less of those shorter, static looking hairs (I still have them, they're just smoother now I guess). My only disappointment is that my this trim made my hair look shorter (or is it just me?) but overall I'm happy to see improvement. My stylist is trying to convince me to come in May for another full trim :ohwell:...I think I want to handle the trimming on my own for now though.

For this relaxer stretch, I'm going to sit down and develop 3-4 goals for my hair. One of them is to play around with more low manipulation styles (particularly flexi rods) and enjoy my hair more. I have a theory that maybe my ends split from bunning so often, so I'm going to observe how they act when they're out in the open. That could be a miss, but it's worth a shot. My ultimate goal, besides reaching hip length again, is to become one of those ladies who only trim every six months or less!

Your hair looks beautiful. It's hard for me to do a length comparison with what you are wearing. Maybe you can get a splitender to dust your own ends between your visits.

LdyKamz

I have this horrible thinning spot in the back of my head. And of course it looks worse when my hair is straight(er). I blow dried this morning and just pulled my hair up and the back on the left looks like a bald spot now. I am so upset. I need to fix this.

faithVA

I have finished 60 days using the Natural Oasis products and I am very happy with my results and progress so far. My hair is softer, more manageable and more moisturized. I have added in a separate DC for now to combat the dryness. I do think after a few more months, I can switch from doing DCs 2x a week, to doing them 1x a week and then to every other week. I am actually seeing long last results of DCing now.

I have a solid wash day regimen now when I do roller sets or curlformer sets. I may still need to work on my wash day moisturizing/sealing regimen when I wear twists. But I have a good base to start with.

I'm still muddling through my between wash moisturizing and sealing routine for all styles. And I'm still don't have a go to style.

The end of April will be the end of my 90 day trial with the Natural Oasis products. Towards the end of April I will decide if I am going to put my hair away. And I will still do product experiments in April when I get a chance.

Not out of the woods yet but making progress.

Ogoma

faithVA: Here are my notes with some additional comments. Sorry it is a bit long. I went to a shampoo and conditioner class and we were grouped by hair properties. Needless to say, I was alone :lol:. It worked out well because I got special attention. I showed her the ingredient list and she helped me come up with a base dupe I could make during the "moisturizing" shampoo lesson. My version of a clarifying shampoo was the moisturizing shampoo and my moisturizing shampoo was this. I am sure the other students thought I was a difficult one, but the instructor was super understanding.

Ouidad’s Ingredient List and my notes

1. Aqua (Water/Eau) – self-explanatory
  2. Sodium Lauroamphoacetate – mild surfactant; pH 8-10; estimated use at 10%
  3. Cetearyl Alcohol – fatty alcohol
  4. Behentrimonium Chloride – conditioning agent
  5. Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate – thickener; estimated use at not more than 2%
  6. Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil – estimated use at 2% or less
  7. Nigella Sativa Seed Oil - estimated use at <=1% for label appeal
  8. Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil - estimated use at <=1% for label appeal
  9. Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil - estimated use at <=1% for label appeal
  10. Fragrance/Parfum – self-explanatory
  11. Citric Acid – PH adjuster; didn’t need since the surfactant I used has a pH of 5-6
  12. Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde – fragrance
  13. Butylphenyl Methylpropional - fragrance
  14. Limonene – used to dissolve oils and for fragrance. I use it to clean my house so couldn’t bring myself to take something from my cleaning cabinet and use it in my product. It is perfectly safe and used in food manufacturing as well.
  15. Methylchloroisothiazolinone - preservative
  16. Methylisothiazolinone – preservative

My version, the %s, and my notes: trying to match Ouidad’s order and will add extras not in the Ouidad formulation at the end. The first 8 ingredients are all that is needed to create something similar (or even better in my opinion). HW – heated water phase; HO heated oil phase; and CD – cool down to 45C or less.
  1. Water (HW)- q.s
  2. Coco Betaine (HW) - use at 10%; this is one of the two surfactants I plan to use in all my surfactant-based formulations. Mild surfactant.
  3. Cetearyl Alcohol (HO) - 5.25%; use BTMS-25 @ 7%, which contains 75% cetearyl alcohol as fatty alcohol
  4. Behentrimonium Methosulfate (HO)- 1.75%; use BTMS-25 @ 7%, which contains 25% BTMS as conditioning agent
  5. Crothix (mixed in next day when it had completely cooled)- used at 1.5%; this is what I have on hand and use as a thickener in other stuff. INCI: PEG-150 pentaerythrityl tetrastearate (and) PEG-6 caprylic/capric trigylcerides (and) water
  6. Castor Oil (HO) - use at 5%; I have castor oil in my stash so I used that at 5% instead of all the many oils at 1%
  7. Fragrance (CD)- use @ 1%
  8. Optiphen (CD)- use @ 1%; preservative(INCI: Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol)

After getting the right feel for the base formula, I added the ingredients below to make it work even better for me.

1. Centrimonium Chloride (HW) - use at 5%; mild conditioning properties; excellent detangler
  2. Polyquaternium 7 (HW)- use @ 5%; humectant, conditioning, moisturizing
  3. PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (HO)- used at 2%; using as a foam booster
  4. Green Tea Extract (CD) - use @1%; use for anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and to promote hair growth
  5. DSodium EDTA (HW) - use @ 0.25%; chelating ingredient

faithVA

faithVA: Here are my notes with some additional comments. Sorry it is a bit long. I went to a shampoo and conditioner class and we were grouped by hair properties. Needless to say, I was alone :lol:. It worked out well because I got special attention. I showed her the ingredient list and she helped me come up with a base dupe I could make during the "moisturizing" shampoo lesson. My version of a clarifying shampoo was the moisturizing shampoo and my moisturizing shampoo was this. I am sure the other students thought I was a difficult one, but the instructor was super understanding.

5. Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate – thickener; estimated use at not more than 2%
  8. Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil - estimated use at <=1% for label appeal
  11. Citric Acid – PH adjuster; didn’t need since the surfactant I used has a pH of 5-6
  14. Limonene – used to dissolve oils and for fragrance. I use it to clean my house so couldn’t bring myself to take something from my cleaning cabinet and use it in my product. It is perfectly safe and used in food manufacturing as well.

My version, the %s, and my notes: trying to match Ouidad’s order and will add extras not in the Ouidad formulation at the end. The first 8 ingredients are all that is needed to create something similar (or even better in my opinion). HW – heated water phase; HO heated oil phase; and CD – cool down to 45C or less.
  1. Water (HW)- q.s
  2. Coco Betaine (HW) - use at 10%; this is one of the two surfactants I plan to use in all my surfactant-based formulations. Mild surfactant.
  3. Cetearyl Alcohol (HO) - 5.25%; use BTMS-25 @ 7%, which contains 75% cetearyl alcohol as fatty alcohol
  4. Behentrimonium Methosulfate (HO)- 1.75%; use BTMS-25 @ 7%, which contains 25% BTMS as conditioning agent
  5. Crothix (mixed in next day when it had completely cooled)- used at 1.5%; this is what I have on hand and use as a thickener in other stuff. INCI: PEG-150 pentaerythrityl tetrastearate (and) PEG-6 caprylic/capric trigylcerides (and) water
  6. Castor Oil (HO) - use at 5%; I have castor oil in my stash so I used that at 5% instead of all the many oils at 1%
  8. Optiphen (CD)- use @ 1%; preservative(INCI: Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol)

After getting the right feel for the base formula, I added the ingredients below to make it work even better for me.

1. Centrimonium Chloride (HW) - use at 5%; mild conditioning properties; excellent detangler
  4. Green Tea Extract (CD) - use @1%; use for anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and to promote hair growth

Oh wow, Thanks for sharing. Your ingredient list sounded better to me just from reading it. You have inspired me. Later this year I may try making my own cleanser. :yep:

alanaturelle

1. Water (HW)- q.s

WOW!!!! I'm impressed. Thanks a lot for sharing.

LdyKamz

This morning I spritz my hair and as I was combing I noticed it was stretching. I knew that would happen so later today I am going to condition with AOGPB today to get my hair back to some sort of balance.

alanaturelle

After 9 years of being free, I'm texlaxing my hair this weekend. I've weighed the pros and cons and decided to go ahead and do it. Over the past three months, I realized that I absolutely need to finger detangle and have to be extra careful with my hair. My usual wash day takes anywhere from 4 to 6hrs including finger detangle which on its own is 2-3 hrs.

Between a very demanding job, two active boys and their school's PTA, I just don't have that kind of time, and texlaxing is my way of saving my sanity, :spinning:

I won't leave the relaxer in for too long just long enough to tame my mane, lol. I'll post pictures of before and after, so stay tune, :yep:

LdyKamz

After 9 years of being free, I'm texlaxing my hair this weekend. I've weighed the pros and cons and decided to go ahead and do it. Over the past three months, I realized that I absolutely need to finger detangle and have to be extra careful with my hair. My usual wash day takes anywhere from 4 to 6hrs including finger detangle which on its own is 2-3 hrs.

Between a very demanding job, two active boys and their school's PTA, I just don't have that kind of time, and texlaxing is my way of saving my sanity, :spinning:

I won't leave the relaxer in for too long just long enough to tame my mane, lol. I'll post pictures of before and after, so stay tune, :yep:

Can't wait to see pics.

faithVA

DCd again last night on dry hair without heat. Mixed SM Restorative Conditioner with a little honey. Not sure if the honey did anything. I may not have used enough.

After rinsing I decided to experiment to see if my hair prefers products on dry hair. I know it doesn't like products on wet hair. I sat under the dryer for 45 minutes. Then I did LOC with KKNT, Hairveda Shikakai and CR Almond Jai. My hair likes products on dry hair better than wet hair but I think damp hair wins out. So I will start letting my hair air dry a bit before applying products.

I also need to start keeping my hair stretched from wash through styling. I think my ends will fare better. I also think I had an issue with my Wednesday cowash because I forgot to spritz with my ph balanced tea. I will remember to do that.

I am going to make a simple batch of catnip tea and get it to a ph balance of 5. I will start testing teas out 1 at a time before I combine them.

As much as I love the rollersets my hair is just too short to not have maintenance be time consuming. At least for April I am going to keep my hair in flat twists. I think I have figured out a way that they don't look so ugly. This will give me and my hair a break. And I can still figure out my product regimen.

I will decide at the end of April what I will do with my hair in May.

snoop

Well, I made a discovery this weekend which may have been incriminating everyone else. I've started making mud was bars, similar to Anita Grant. When I'm ready to use, up I've just been mixing with a spoon. They've not been lumpy so much as grainy and a chore to wash out. I love Teressentials and mud washing has really helped my hair.

Yesterday, I decided to try blending with my stick mixer. Night and day. It was so smooth. No grains. As a result washed out easily. I thought it was the quality of mud that I was using, now I realize that it was just me.

HanaKuroi

snoop said:
Well, I made a discovery this weekend which may have been incriminating everyone else. I've started making mud was bars, similar to Anita Grant. When I'm ready to use, up I've just been mixing with a spoon. They've not been lumpy so much as grainy and a chore to wash out. I love Teressentials and mud washing has really helped my hair.

Yesterday, I decided to try blending with my stick mixer. Night and day. It was so smooth. No grains. As a result washed out easily. I thought it was the quality of mud that I was using, now I realize that it was just me.

I use my stick blender for mixing henna. It is so smooth. I hated mixing henna by hand and it wasn't smooth.

Will you share your clay bar recipe? I would love to save money on Anita Grant and Terressentials.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

OhmyKimB

Not going to move up to washing every three days yet. Maybe when I workout again after season is over (come on April 30th!)

I got worried while I was co washing today that my hair would be over moisturized so I didn't deep condition, I many to pick up aphogee 2 min keratin but because I never leave work I didn't. I'll pick some up this weekend, I'll coo wash and use that then see if my hair is ready to be clarified or not.

Really in love with organix acai berry avocado conditioner, great as a base to my deep conditioner (from the last wash) today I just co washed with it.

alanaturelle

I texlaxed yesterday and this is how it went:

Thursday night: I took my bun down, lightly sprayed my hair with Water-Aloe Vera Juice, applied coconut oil, lightly finger detangled and African hair thread my hair to stretch it a little bit more.

Friday:

Prep: I used the ORS No Lye Relaxer. I added two Tbsp of Shea Moisture anti-breakage deep conditioner and 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil to the relaxer.
I applied more coconut oil in between the threads and took each thread down which I twisted. I applied coconut oil all over my edges, the sides and the nape.

Application: Because the roots are low porosity, the middle normal porosity and the end has high porosity, I applied the cream to the roots first, the middle second and the ends last. I started from the top of my head to the back. From the start to finish, took me 10 minutes. Also I barely applied any cream to my ends.

Rinse: As soon as I was done applying to my ends, I rinsed the cream off. I didn't let it sit any longer. After rinsing, I applied Aphogee 2-min reconstructor, covered my hair with a plastic cap and let the conditioner work for 15mins.

I rinsed that off, shampooed three times to make sure that the relaxer was completely out, applied a deep conditioner, sat under the steamer for 40 mins, rinsed the deep conditioner out, finger detangled, conditioned. After that I moisturized using the LCO method, braided my hair and let it air dry overnight.

Surprisingly, I only used 1/4 of the box. I'll keep that in mind next time to not waste the product. Overall, I don't regret my decision and will definitely keep texlaxing my hair. My hair still has a lot of texture and the curls are a lot loosened.

Here are the before and after pictures. The before pictures were taken on Thursday after I took the 2-day old bun down and the after pictures were taken this morning after I unraveled the braids.

Here are the before and after pictures. The first two are before and the last two are after. I had hubby taken them in the sunlight to show the difference in texture. I'm not sure if you can see the difference but I see and feel it.

Attachments

• Apr 03 (6).jpg
    Apr 03 (6).jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Apr 03 (4).jpg
    Apr 03 (4).jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Apr 05 (4).jpg
    Apr 05 (4).jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Apr 05 (6).jpg
    Apr 05 (6).jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 34

snoop

@HanaKuroi

Dry = 70%
Wet = 30%

The first time I mixed it came out perfect and then after that the percentages seem a bit off and I had a formulation that left my hair a bit oily after the rinse out -- not so much that I my head couldn't touch anything, but enough that I only had to moisturize instead of m/s for a day or two.

Basically here is what I use:

Dry (to total 70%)
Rhassoul - 65%
Cocoa powder* - 5%
* Not Nestle Quick

Wet (to total 30%)
Butters - 12-17% (depending on which butters I'm using) (i.e. I always use cocoa, capuacu but have also have tried adding avocado and pumpkin seed butters)
Oils - 5-7% (depending on which oils I'm using) (I have only used jojoba oil, so far)
Glycerine - 2-3%
Vitamin E - 2-3%

Melt wet ingredients in a double boiler. Once melted, add to dry ingredients. The consistency that you want is like wet cement or play dough. Very think and mold-able. Then add it to your mold or tray. Let it set for a few hours. Then turn out onto a paper towel, then let set for another 24 hours.

I'm still playing around with the formulations and the ingredients. In the first batch I added honey at 2%, but I don't think I'd add it again.

I'm making a list of ingredients to buy and formulate with.

HanaKuroi

snoop said:
@HanaKuroi

Dry = 70%
Wet = 30%

The first time I mixed it came out perfect and then after that the percentages seem a bit off and I had a formulation that left my hair a bit oily after the rinse out -- not so much that I my head couldn't touch anything, but enough that I only had to moisturize instead of m/s for a day or two.

Basically here is what I use:

Dry (to total 70%)
Rhassoul - 65%
Cocoa powder* - 5%
* Not Nestle Quick

Wet (to total 30%)
Butters - 12-17% (depending on which butters I'm using) (i.e. I always use cocoa, capuacu but have also have tried adding avocado and pumpkin seed butters)
Oils - 5-7% (depending on which oils I'm using) (I have only used jojoba oil, so far)
Glycerine - 2-3%
Vitamin E - 2-3%

Melt wet ingredients in a double boiler. Once melted, add to dry ingredients. The consistency that you want is like wet cement or play dough. Very think and mold-able. Then add it to your mold or tray. Let it set for a few hours. Then turn out onto a paper towel, then let set for another 24 hours.

I'm still playing around with the formulations and the ingredients. In the first batch I added honey at 2%, but I don't think I'd add it again.

I'm making a list of ingredients to buy and formulate with.

I have all of these ingredients!

Thank you so much!

I need to find that 5 lbs of Rhassoul. It is somewhere.

I assume I add hot water to the cubes just like the Anita grant instructions.

I have some marshmallow powder that I will add.

Thanks again snoop

snoop

I have all of these ingredients!

Thank you so much!

I need to find that 5 lbs of Rhassoul. It is somewhere.

I assume I add hot water to the cubes just like the Anita grant instructions.

I have some marshmallow powder that I will add.

Thanks again snoop

Np! I hope you like it.

Yes you add hot water. Ive switched to hot coconut oil and it works out well. One can can last me 5 washes.

LdyKamz

I finally went to get my hair professionally done. And I think I may have found a regular stylist for when I'm feeling lazy. She gave me a hair cut and she cut it in its curly state. I wanted to even it out and she mentioned my little mullet/tail thingy in the back. She had to cut the back pretty short because of that thing. But my hair looks and feels much much better with all of those raggedy ends gone.

So now I feel like I can really get back to trying to nail my regimen. And I will have to post in this thread more often to be held accountable. The stylist styled my hair with a firm holding gel and my hair is a tad bit crunchy now so I will be cowashing tonight to get this stuff out.

faithVA

[USER=317255 said:
KammyGirl[/USER];19926461]I finally went to get my hair professionally done. And I think I may have found a regular stylist for when I'm feeling lazy. She gave me a hair cut and she cut it in its curly state. I wanted to even it out and she mentioned my little mullet/tail thingy in the back. She had to cut the back pretty short because of that thing. But my hair looks and feels much much better with all of those raggedy ends gone.

So now I feel like I can really get back to trying to nail my regimen. And I will have to post in this thread more often to be held accountable. The stylist styled my hair with a firm holding gel and my hair is a tad bit crunchy now so I will be cowashing tonight to get this stuff out.

Sounds like things are looking up. Maybe a little oil scrunched into your curls would help with the crunchiness if you don't feel like cowashing.