My sleeping habits are ruining my hair.

locabouthair

I sleep with a silk scarf. BUT I sleep really wild. I guess I toss and turn a lot because when I wake up everything is of the bed, the sheets, teddy bear, etc..yeah I sleep with a teddy bear:look:

anyway, almost every night my scarf is off my head, its not until I wake up that I notice my scarf is off and the hair is all over the place. and I have been seeing broken pieces on the sheets. Plus I notice my hair has been feeling drier.

How can I make sure my sacrf stays on. I dont wanna tie it too tight until I get a head ache. Its a big scarf too so size isn't the problem.

PatTodd

I wear a scarf with a bonnet over it. That way, if my scarf slips off, my bonnet usually stays on (with the scarf inside it).

unalteredone

That happens to me too, esp if the front of my hair is going straight back. I find that when i part my hair in the front the scarf stays better. Also, try tying the scarf more over your forehead so that it has farther to slip and is more secure.

krikit96

Try to practice different tying techniques... I have this issue too, and most times it stays on, when I bother to put it on. But the regular tie in the back doesn't work.. sometimes I have to wrap the ends around to the front too, and tie it there. back in highschool, I had to basically put the scarf on backwards, and it stayed... I sleep w/my husband now, so my movement is a bit restricted (ain't nuffin like sleepin alone in a bed!):lachen:

But that's my only suggestion honey! HTH

krikit96

That happens to me too, esp if the front of my hair is going straight back. I find that when i part my hair in the front the scarf stays better. Also, try tying the scarf more over your forehead so that it has farther to slip and is more secure.

I also use this technique...:yep:

locabouthair

I wear a scarf with a bonnet over it. That way, if my scarf slips off, my bonnet usually stays on (with the scarf inside it).
okay I'll be at the BSS getting a bonnet. I'm tried o the broken hairs.

Thanks I will try this.

Have you tried using a satin pillowcase and/or sheets?

No I havent. Hopefully with the bonnet it wont be an issue anymore but I will pick up a couple of satin pillow cases. Thanks.

Try to practice different tying techniques... I have this issue too, and most times it stays on, when I bother to put it on. But the regular tie in the back doesn't work.. sometimes I have to wrap the ends around to the front too, and tie it there. back in highschool, I had to basically put the scarf on backwards, and it stayed... I sleep w/my husband now, so my movement is a bit restricted (ain't nuffin like sleepin alone in a bed!):lachen:

But that's my only suggestion honey! HTH

Yeah I'm gonna try different ways. Thanks ladies.

twinkletoes17

I sleep with a silk scarf. BUT I sleep really wild. I guess I toss and turn a lot because when I wake up everything is of the bed, the sheets, teddy bear, etc..yeah I sleep with a teddy bear:look:

anyway, almost every night my scarf is off my head, its not until I wake up that I notice my scarf is off and the hair is all over the place. and I have been seeing broken pieces on the sheets. Plus I notice my hair has been feeling drier.

How can I make sure my sacrf stays on. I dont wanna tie it too tight until I get a head ache. Its a big scarf too so size isn't the problem.

I sleep with a bear occasionally too, lol!

Back to the topic :) I usually wear a bonnet on my hair, and then spread the scarf over my pillow. If my scarf comes off the pillow, I have the bonnet. If the bonnet falls of my head, I have the scarf :)

To retain moisture I always found applying serums and moisturizers on and then a bonnet best. If I use a scarf to tie my hair, I feel "trapped" lol. With a bonnet not only is my hair able to move, but it's almost like a little oven. Just a preference of mine .

LongHairDreams

Have you tried using a satin pillowcase and/or sheets?

^^ co-signing. If your scarf falls off you'll have a satin pillowcase as backup. Thats what I do anyway. But, im not a wild sleeper. How big is your scarf? Mine is huge. I can wrap it around the back and tie it in the front. Its snug...no headaches...

Attachments

• IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 5

joemerald

Doo Rag. That's all I can say. Neva comes off. Before scarf bonnet always off, since doorag my hair is protected at nite.

sweetgal

Hey there,

Put a lose fitting elastic band on top on the silk scarf (avoid touching the hair line) It works-trust me. My bf does this for his braids and i thought he was crazy, but it works and so far no breakage.

My silk scurf is ultra silky and kinda soft so I cant even double tie this thing! The elastic works...:yep:
I know you ladies are thinking :blush:

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
I go the extra mile as I sleep rough myself. I have a satin pillowcase, tie a silk scarf on and then I put the silk bonnet on top. I don't like risking breakage.

Rei

definitely get a bonnet. I sleep really wildly too, my scarf would never stay on at night. Now I have a bonnet, and it does not come off, I love it. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase just in case :)

MissNina

Libra Girl
Get the Stay on Satin bonnet that comes with the elastic band on it. I love it and it stops me from having any problems.

jendazzler

I also use stay on satin bonnets. You can find them in the hair scarf/bonnet section. It looks like a satin bonnet and the package says "stay on" or "won't come off" or something like that. HTH!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Get the Stay on Satin bonnet that comes with the elastic band on it. I love it and it stops me from having any problems.

Co-signing. This thing does not move. Well I have the one with the drawstring in it but anyways it "stays on" as it says. I just started wearing a scarf under it too but that just bc I want to wrap my hair at night. My mom swears by the do-rag.

HeavenlySkies

I don't have a problem with my satin cap coming off and i sleep wild too but all you have to do is put the scarf on then put a headband around it or scarf doorag then headband.