Can sleeping w/ no headscarf have THIS BAD of an effect?

Innocent_Kiss

Well, not intentionally sleeping without one. I tie my hair down everynight with a headscarf. It's not 100% silk, but it gets the job done. After really looking at my regimen, I couldn't understand why my hair seemed to backtracking. I'ma WILD WILD sleeper. By the time I wake up in the morning, my scarf is wrapped around my ankles :lol: (I am SO serious). My scarf stays on once every blue moon :nono: I just ordered a silk scarf and pillowcase from Honeyfig. I'm going to post updates later.

Can what you sleep with on your head really make that much of a difference? Share your thoughts!

Denise11

No . Not to me a have gotten a few silk scarves since coming here. But I'm finding that my regular scarf, the old cotton one, stays on, and I can't get my silk one to stay on at all. So although the old one was cotton, it still protects my hair better because it stays on. I wouldnt sleep without a scarf. But I don't think the material matters that much.

Last edited:

cutiepiebabygirl

Cotton scarves would make me bald....too "tough" on hair..I think it also strips moisture from your hair...I'm a wild sleeper also...Try this..Tie the silk/satin scarf on your hair..then go back and tie the cotton scarf over that one..that way...you hair rubs against the silk/satin and is protected...and the cotton scarf rubs against pillows..sheets..but stays on all night..or get a du-rag..that stays on pretty tight..just watch out for the forehead lines LOL!

Denise11

Cotton scarves would make me bald....too "tough" on hair..I think it also strips moisture from your hair...I'm a wild sleeper also...Try this..Tie the silk/satin scarf on your hair..then go back and tie the cotton scarf over that one..that way...you hair rubs against the silk/satin and is protected...and the cotton scarf rubs against pillows..sheets..but stays on all night..or get a du-rag..that stays on pretty tight..just watch out for the forehead lines LOL!

I would sweat like a pig if I had to wear two scarves.

I wore cotton scarves before I came here and I always had long hair ( at least BSL). Cotton never Hurt my hair. What hurts my hair is the rubbing on the pillow that my hair does when my silk scarves comes off at night.

Avaya

I buy satin bonnets from Walgreens and put one over my scarf. That is the only way I can get a silk scarf to stay put.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Yes, I didn't sleep with anything on my head for months and my hair went from a little past SL to a broken off chin length. The Stay On Satin Bonnet stays on.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I have 4 silk scarves, 3 satin, and 2 silk pillowcases. Something will protect me at night....

MissRissa

I buy satin bonnets from Walgreens and put one over my scarf. That is the only way I can get a silk scarf to stay put.

yeah i've tried this and all of the other above and NOTHING works. i never ever wake up with anything on my head. im bout to just go buy some silk pillowcases and hope for the best. but um i drool alot.

alopeciagrl

ABSOLUTELY!!! I use a silk or satin scarf and/or bonnet. Cotton scarfs soak up all the moisture that I put in my hair. I too sleep WILD and sometimes in the morning my scarf is off my head. So I bought a satin pillow case as backup.

mahogany_horizons

YES I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS, OCCASIONALLY i will, especially if I'm putting some kind of oil, etc in my hair, tie it up with the silk scarf first, then the cotton one on top!

SouthernDimps

I used to sleep with a cotton bandana when i was younger and my hair was super dry. I didn't really see any setbacks. Now, I never sleep with a scarf and my hair seems to be doing fine. However, I do sleep on satin pillowcases.

mscocoface

I the the silk/satin pillowcase will save you no matter what is on your head or NOT on your head when you wake up in the morning! :)

Purfectalibi

Try this. Moisturize and wrap your hair, put on a stocking cap, and then your scarf. If your scarf comes off at least your hair is still protected. HTH

LivingDoll

OP, if your scarf is 100% silk, it shouldn't slide off...satin scarves tend to be more "slippery" than silk...

I use a silk scarf (one that is longer than it's wide) and that stays fine around my head. I've never had it come off. I also use a satin pillowcase (just because).

GoldenBreeze

OP, if your scarf is 100% silk, it shouldn't slide off...satin scarves tend to be more "slippery" than silk...

I use a silk scarf (one that is longer than it's wide) and that stays fine around my head. I've never had it come off. I also use a satin pillowcase (just because).

ITA. I can't keep a square silk or satin scarf on all night to save my life, but I never loose the long ones. Another thing is that all silk is not created equal. My fav. is georgette silk, because it has a tiny bit of texture.

Last edited:

Egyptjones

ITA. I can't keep a square silk or satin scarf on all night to save my life, but I never loose the long ones. Another this is that all silk is not created equal. My fav. is georgette silk, because it has a tiny bit of texture.

I also but the georgette silk. My test for a good head scarf is I grab two corners and rub them together...if the scarf will slip easily on itself then it will slip off of your head.

I buy a lot of scarves from a local sari store because they have scarves in this crepe like material and they NEVER slip off. And they are huge so I can wrap them around my head twice.

clarity2008

I believe that sleeping without protecting my hair contributed to most of my split ends a breakage. I have purchased silk pillowcases just in case the silk scarf falls off at night.

LongiLox

Well, not intentionally sleeping without one. I tie my hair down everynight with a headscarf. It's not 100% silk, but it gets the job done. After really looking at my regimen, I couldn't understand why my hair seemed to backtracking. I'ma WILD WILD sleeper. By the time I wake up in the morning, my scarf is wrapped around my ankles :lol: (I am SO serious). My scarf stays on once every blue moon :nono: I just ordered a silk scarf and pillowcase from Honeyfig. I'm going to post updates later.

Can what you sleep with on your head really make that much of a difference? Share your thoughts!

Yes, yes it can!! Pre-LHCF, not sleeping with a scarf or covering my head with anything lead to severe damage of my edges. I mean less than one inch of hair on my edges while the rest of my hair was SL. After I found LHCF and I started covering my head AND mositurizing my edges, they grew about 4 inches in 6 months!! So yeah, I believe it makes a huge difference. Not sleeping with a scarf also dries out your hair.

grnidmonster

I am probably the only person who ever suffered damage from covering my hair. I tried a slik scarf and it would pull my air our on the sides when it would shift-I sleep pretty wild. I tried a nylon cap and it would roll up and pulled my hair out all the way around my head. Prior to LHCF, I didnt really sleep with anything on my hair, maybe sometimes a cotton scarf, and I was BSL. Since LHCF, I have tried all these thing I read about and it has been detrimental. Right now I am back to nothing but a satin pillow case.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I have 4 silk scarves, 3 satin, and 2 silk pillowcases. Something will protect me at night....
it's definitely working...your growth is awesome & the quality of your hair looks great!! For those who have problems keeping a scarf or bonnet on try pinning it on... either one pin or each side or one pin front & back... i prefer front/back, but either way works like a charm

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Yes my hair and ends really suffered when I wasn't wearing my scarf. My hair is doing a lot better now that I always protect my hair while sleeping even if I'm only taking a nap.

Coffee

I don't have any problems with the silk scarf I use. It's a really large one, and that may help with it not slidding off.

titan

satin head scarves have a hard time staying on hair that is really smooth, good luck with those silk headscarves.