Wig Challengers! My silk protection tip

LadyPaniolo

To prevent your edges & nape from getting damaged you can do something cheap & easy (my favorite combination :cool:)

I do this with my wigs every day. :yep:

I purchased a bunch of silk scarves from dharma trading company. They have black ones that are squares, 21.5 inches on each side, for cheap. I tie the scarf in the back of my head before putting on my nylon wig cap. I put the wig cap on, making sure that a little bit of excess silk sticks out... maybe half an inch in the back and an eight of an inch in the front (don't want to look crazy with scarf visible under my wig bangs :lachen:).

Then, when I put my wig on, I *carefully* slide the combs in place under the wig cap and scarf into my hair. The combs of the wig actually anchor the silk scarf in place. Those suckers are so slippery!

When I take my wig off at night, I remove the wig cap and scarf, apply my HE LTR Leave in, and re-tie the silk scarf. Then I put on my satin sleep cap on top of the silk scarf. I do this cuz if I were to just go to sleep with the silk scarf on my head, I'd wake up with my hair out, rubbing all over everything... and the scarf 2 feet away on the floor! Those bad boys do NOT stay on without assistance! The satin sleep cap stays on very well with the elastic band.

By doing this, I make sure that nothing but 100% pure silk EVER touches my hair. I noticed that I was getting a little breakage from the rough nylon wig cap, and starting to use the silk daily. I can see a difference already!

Hope this helps someone!

CenteredGirl

Great tip. Also, boar and nylon brushes, are great for straight hair synthetic wigs. Brushes through like butta babe.

LadyPaniolo

Great tip. Also, boar and nylon brushes, are great for straight hair synthetic wigs. Brushes through like butta babe.

Really! I :love2: my boar bristle brush, but I never thought to use it on a wig.

Nylon brushes... this would be a great use for those, since I won't use them on my hair anymore! Thanks

CenteredGirl

Really! I :love2: my boar bristle brush, but I never thought to use it on a wig.

Nylon brushes... this would be a great use for those, since I won't use them on my hair anymore! Thanks

To clairify Joy, the brush Iuse on my wig has both boar and nylon bristles in it. It works like butter.

MzLady78

Thanks for the tip!

I noticed that my edges were looking a little rough, which surprised me because I've been wearing wigs. I didn't even occur to me that that could be what the problem is until recently.

LadyPaniolo

To clairify Joy, the brush Iuse on my wig has both boar and nylon bristles in it. It works like butter.
Thanks for clarifying. I thought at first that you meant this, but then I couldn't ever remember seeing a brush like this, so I thought I must have misunderstood. Turns out I was right the first time!