My review of Joseph's hair salon in NYC!

brwnskingirl

Re: My review of Joseph\'s hair salon in NYC!

that same thing happen to me when I requestted a deep condition from a dominican salon I went to the other day, less than ten minutes later she came to rinse it out. I am going back to marcia next time.

JFemme

I loved that Vevster 'faxed' them... keep us posted ...

too funny..... and TOO real for them ...I'll bet 'ya

tryn2growmyhair

brownrelaxedhair said:
Hi Girls, Thanks for all the responses.

Pumpkin: My usual hairdresser is great for re-touches even though to dry she uses a hairdryer on a v.cool setting followed by curling irons /images/graemlins/blush.gif But I can live with that once per 8 weeks only for the results she gives. Like I said, they use good products, the BEST conditioners (I was sold on Mizani Moisturefuse from here first) and heat protectors etc. Plus she does me from start to finish. I've never burn't or itched. Its Le Var Hair Salon on the Upper West Side (72nd street and columbus, subway is 72nd and walk east along 72nd street, its on the 2nd floor). My friend is Marceea. Very quiet but nice. Celebs go there for extensions and colouring (what they excel in). They do people like Mary J Blige, Whitney, Missy Elliot, Models plus us regular folk /images/graemlins/grin.gif. The editor of essence has hair braids done there (I'm always seeing her in there). My friend who does me is great because my hair just comes out soooo soft, separated, slippery. Like a friggin' Pantene commercial /images/graemlins/grin.gif She smooths the relaxer with the back unteethed comb part (uses Affirm on me)but no pulling, excessive combing through of it like Natasha did (and was suprised about). She has v.gentle hands. She trims only if I ask her to. Its not cheap though. I think re-touches are approx $80 but I'd call to double check that. I pay much less since Marceea is a personal friend. Its a teeny no frills salon but I like that. More intimate and 'home' feeling.

Miss A: Yes the Sebastian Cellophanes did dry out my hair. After each rollar set since applying it, the mid section down feels a bit rougher and dry. Not soft and moisturised from root to tip like before. I know this is what's done that. I'm going to use ultra moisturizing conditioners mixed with olive oil for each deep conditioning from now on to try regaining the moisture. Natasha did say reg. deep conditioning will help although quote from Natasha: "cellaphanes never truly comes out of your hair once in". She suggested me buying their shea butter to help moisturize my hair but I didn't want to spend any more there. (Is it ultra moisturizing people??). Don't forget, some here LOVE cellophanes. For me its dried me out and Tracy (who recced it) is a hair twin so it shows whats good for one may not be so for another. Like I said, I think I have odd hair /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FYI, I'll be at work all day so won't be able to respond to any more questions till I get back around 5.30 tonight but I'll be reading the posts through out the day /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the compliments. I have noticed the hair has grown. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

About Joseph's: I have been there and had my hair done by Natasha. I have not been there in a while and it's because I had similar experiences to you. I thought that my hair would be done by her and instead it was done by her assistant and yes, my scalp also got burned. I went there for a while but I stopped going because I tried a number of different stylists there and 1) One of them was too insecure to tell me what conditioners to use on my hair at home -- she told me to come there every two weeks (fat chance at the prices they charge!) 2) It seems that whenever a stylist gets really good or has a large client following they immediately have an assistant. The only clients that I see getting touch ups from senior stylists are clients who seem to have been going there for over 20 years --- some of these people have been coming each week for over 20 years and ladiez a wash and set at Joseph's can cost up to $100! (if you get a deep conditioner, trim, etc. it adds up) 3) The prices are just not worth it to me. I would get a relaxer and a trim and sometimes a deep conditioner and they would cost between $110 and $140. And let me tell you, you are not getting any special treatment for that. I think that it is really rude to have an assistant do someone's hair at those prices.

About the shea butter that they sell. I think that you are referring to Krismark Hair Pomade. They convinced me to buy this from them too and I did buy it and yes, it is moisturizing (and I have very dry difficult to moisturize hair). It is a really nice light hair grease. But you can get it at Ray's Beauty Supply or online. I froogled it: http://www.cambridgechemist.com/Mer...ore_Code=cambridgechemists&Category_Code=Kris.

You don't need to go there to get it. Sorry to put a long post,but this has just been my experience with this salon and I had to share.

dina32

I used to go to Joseph's years ago but I stopped due to the high prices. Also, I found my hairdresser (Walter) too happy with the scissors. My hair would look really good but somehow I never felt that it was in optimum health...