My review of Joseph's hair salon in NYC!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Re: My review of Joseph\'s hair salon in NYC!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Its 85 up for relaxers like Affirm, Revlon and one other and if the hair is beyond ears e.g. longish hair then the price is even higher, 90+ (yeah okay,whatever

[/ QUOTE ]

My cousin and her two daughters all have beyond shoulder length hair. She hates the 'long hair, extra $' rule. They chair hop from salon to salon, get price quotes over the phone and then sneak up on the poor stylist with all that hair! /images/graemlins/blush.gif
Her favorite comebacks are " "You said $35 on the phone!" and "Do you lower the price for hair that is 3" long?"
That's my peeps! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

vevster

For my next touchup it will be marceea or this Marvin guy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm checking out his site now....

Ebony

sorry bout your bad experience girlfriend. we'll be waiting to hear about your experience, pumpkin. thanx for the info amilLion. i've passed that place before (i've walked down that street millions of times cuz that's my hangin area) and never paid any attention. he sounds very interesting. during the summer my sister &amp; i wear weaves, but the rest of the year we do go to dominican salons for roller sets &amp; deep conditioning. my sister is good at doing my touch-ups, but isn't always available, so i need to have someone in the city who will take me for the appointment time i've scheduled. my sister actually has an excellent hairdresser in east orange, nj...but i can't stand sitting in a salon all day for a touch up like she does. i just can't do it. plus it's more convenient to go after work in the city.

Sunshine

AmilLion,
Do you know if Marvin ever worked at Crown and Glory Salon?

JerseyGirl

I just got back from vacation. Boy, did I miss a lot.

When I was working the during the night, I use to go to Joseph's during the day. My appointments was usually 10:00 a.m. I never had a conflict of time with Natasha. Yes, Natasha was my hair stylist. There was several reasons why I stopped going to her.

1. TOO EXPENSIVE. Yes, $100 for a touch-up and a rinse.
2. TOO EXPENSIVE. My hair was long but it was still dry and uneven. Natasha does not like to cut hair (at that particular time my hair needed to be cut because it was very uneven). To pay that much money and go outside and let the wind hit it and you do not have one single curl was too much for me.
3. TOO EXPENSIVE. My supervisor went to her and her hair was beginning to grow but eventually started to come out again because she had a thryroid problem. Natasha told her not to worry she will have her hair long and flowing. While her hair was long but the bald spots that she had made her hair a mess.
4. TOO EXPENSIVE. I never saw a celebrity come in.
5. TOO EXPENSIVE. I went there because of the convenience of my schedule and because at that time I could not find someone in New Jersey. It was near my job and I felt that it was a quick and easy way to get my hair done but the expense was too much and I didn't see my hair changing and I went to Natasha for several months. I was told by my old hair stylist in Queens that if you go to a stylist and you do not see a change in a couple of months, stop going. They are not doing anything for your hair that you can't do on your own.

Since you live in Queens (brownrelaxedhair), I am going to give you the name of my old stylist that I used for years. She had my Halle Berry hair cut grow to the middle of my back with health, life and body. She is a little scissor happy so beware. Her name is Tonyce Chapman and she works in JcPenny's in the Queens Center Mall. There prices are half of what you would pay at Joseph's and every January they have a relaxer sale. They use Affirm, Dudley's and Mizani and Tonyce is a wizard at coloring. She has been there for 10 years and she has the most clients and she her scheduling is a work of art. I never had to want for her more than 15 minutes and she is very friendly. Check her out.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience at Joseph but the only way to learn is to find out for yourself.

Jerseygirl

I only just saw your post to me. Thanks for your rec of the stylist in Queens. I'll keep her in mind but for now, I'm sticking with my usual hairdresser for touch ups. I think I get burned (literally! I had 2 burnt scalp spots from Josephs /images/graemlins/mad.gif) whenever I try another place for touch ups. I must have v.sensitive scalp that my hairdresser recognizes because like I said, the hair comes out great. Each and every time.

BronxDiva

AmiLion,
I saw Marvin before he blew up when he use to work for Richard at crown n' glory. And he was good then. This was a couple of years ago.

vevster

So Marvin is the man! He is my next stop but I am putting all the referals I hear of on this board in my palm pilot for future reference /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So far I have Marceea, Marvin, and Tonyce /images/graemlins/smile.gif Keep 'em coming girls!!!!

A

AmilLion

Yes, Marvin used to work at Crown N Glory on Lexington avenue before he lol "Blew up". At the time, I used to get my hair done by Richard or Tippi and used to observe Marvin while there. I really appreciated the care and the communication he had with his clients. That's what made me switch.

Marvin received his training from John Atchinson (something like that)

vevster

I used to go to Eddy Brady also fmly of John Atchinson salon. He does hair out of his apt.

L

legs71

Brownrelaxedhair,

Your hair grew a great deal in a short period of time. I must admit your hair is definitely "GAWGEOUS DAWLINK". Have you always had fast growing hair or do you attribute your successful growing to the supplements you have been taking?

Hi Legs71,

I think it may be the supplements kicking in which I started taking from this summer.

Generally speaking though, since ditching curling irons I've found I've been able to grow the hair better. My hair does grow though at a good pace without supps but adding them to the routine gives a boost.

Hope this helps! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

free2bme

Hi All,

Nice to see Brown Relaxed Girl, gave u guys our update at Joseph's and yes i will have to confirm that it was one of my worst salon experiences.

1. I got to the salon at 5:30 and Natasha was triple booked. Her assistant had to do my hair and when I complained to Natasha, she said that she works with assistants and walked away no apologies.

2. At 6:15 (almost 45 minutes after I had first arrived) the assistant walks out with a bowl of relaxer. I was taken back at her gall. She never asked me what brand of relaxer I used or what strength and I would not take her word for it either.
I told her I had my own relaxer. The silly woman misunderstood me and began to base me with relaxer!!!. thankfully I based my head at home b/4 I arrived. I screamed and she apologised and proceeded to base my hair with the proper base.

3. As she relaxed she proceded to comb each section with a fine toothed comb. My hair wich usually comes out very bouncy came out a bit on the limp side b/c I am convinced her combing action sped up the relaxer process.

4. Natasha came amnd spoke to me after she realized that I was from a hair board. That's when she apologized and offered me a free deep conditioning on my next visit. I guess she realized she would be trashed on the internet was trying to do damage control. Too little to late. (BTW brownrelaxed trashed her b/4 I eaven got the chance too!!)

5) After our hair was dry there were at least 5 other women in curlers waiting to be styled by Natasha. At this point BrownRelaxed and I started taking out our rollers on our own b/c we were truly fed up.

6) Natasha ended up giving me a free trim (more damage control). I was flabbergasted when she handed me my bill of $98.80. I asked why considering I even brought my own relaxer. I was told b/c they used the Affirm 5-1 reconstructer on me. The 5-1 is basically used as a neutralizer and not deep treatment after a relaxer. Shouldn't neutralizing be part of relaxing????

6) I left the salon at 9:15 and it was pouring rain. My hair looked nice after I left but this was definately a painful &amp; expensive experience. I can not recommend this salon to anyone in good conscience.

pebbles

free2bme,

I am really sorry to hear about your experience at that salon. I think the amount of the bill she handed you is even more shocking considering that you brought your own relaxer, and her assistant was so incompetent! It's outrageous! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

JerseyGirl

When I use to go to Joseph's, I felt that their prices were TOO EXPENSIVE and the service was the pits. For $98, you should not only be getting your hair done but a manicure and pedicure too. The place I go to charges $70 for a perm, deep conditioner, rinse and your eyebrows done. They are Dominican. I love their service and my hair comes out 10 times better than anything Natasha had done. Your paying for the name and the location because the service is awful. To have her assistant do your hair and still pay $98 is outrageous. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE is the phrase that should be given to Joseph. Find someplace else.

Kitkat

Free2B, I was very sorry to hear about the experiences that you and BrownRelaxedHair had at Joseph's. Doggoned shame!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif For my next touch up, I think that I will check out other stylists recommended by others on this board. BrownRelaxedHair and AmilLion both have great things to say about their stylists, which makes me want to give them a shot. I'm also not crazy about the notion of being palmed off to an assistant. I did my own hair at home for years, and it's been ages since I've gone to a salon. It didn't even occur to me when it was happening that being passed off to assistants isn't cool. But when you're paying an arm and a frigging leg, you should have nothing but the stylist's undivided attention. Anything less is unacceptable. And combing your hair through with a fine toothed comb . . . unbelievable.

Keep the faith, girl. We'll find a good stylist yet!!

free2bme

Hi Jersey Girl,

I will stick to the places u recommended in NJ. I just didn't have the time to make it to NJ last week b/c I was in dire need of a perm and figured I'd go somewhere close to the office. Big mistake /images/graemlins/frown.gif

A lesson learned. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!!

A

AmilLion

WOW free2beme I feel really bad about your encounter. My friend she went there as well, we actually swapped my Thursday appts because I couldn't make it. She also informed me of the horror she encountered, though Natasha assistant based her scalp and Natasha applied the relaxer. She received the same bootleg 5 n 1 Reconstructor and that's it. This weekend, I'm going to do a wash n set for her using a clarifying shampoo followed with a protein treatment.

Boy am I glad that I swapped appts....I canceled my after hearing her story and brownrelaxed.

vevster

I printed out this thread and faxed it to the salon. LOLOLOL /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OMG Vevster!!! You faxed it to the salon!!!? I can't stop laughing. Your terrible.

I'd love to know if they actually read it and/or passed it on to Natasha...

You make me laugh!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I printed out this thread and faxed it to the salon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. Natasha sounds like the typical hairstylist. She and others like her are the reason I started doing my own hair. They need to know that we aren't gonna take it anymore. [Raised fist /images/graemlins/grin.gif] Thank God for the Internet! LOL Why did she have so many clients booked at the same time? I know they are in business to make money, but DAMN! That is so disrespectful to the client--like our time is of no importance to them. Not to mention the incompetant assistant! Yikes!
Vev, you should fax her the Marvin thread, too. /images/graemlins/grin.gif So she'll know what she should be doing. He sounds like my dream stylist. Maybe I'll start looking for a tricologist instead of just a plain old beautician/cosmetologist...

Kitkat

Girl, you too crazy!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think Natasha will notice a drop in people booking appointments with her? Thanks to you, now she won't have to wonder why!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Frankly, she ought to thank you!

well this thread is certainly a blast from the past. Especially as its just over a year exactly since I was there! *shudders* NEVER again....

jainygirl

I was reading parts of this thread to my husband and he was laughing at the part where Vevster faxed this thread to the salon. He was like "ya'll have alot of power ya know, because if service is good it's free advertising and if it's bad you all cut into their business
I LOVE thinking about it like that. WE are changing them...whether they like it or not

AJamericanDiva

Hey! I'm the makeup artist that did the majority of the makeup on the girls you see on Marvin's website! What a small world!!!

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Sunshine said:
AmilLion,
Do you know if Marvin ever worked at Crown and Glory Salon?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've even done makeup for Joseph's salon as well...

I'm not AmilLion, but I know Marvin used to work at Crown and Glory. I used to do makeup for a lot of hairstylists from this salon, including Richard.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
free2bme said:
Hi All,

Nice to see Brown Relaxed Girl, gave u guys our update at Joseph's and yes i will have to confirm that it was one of my worst salon experiences.

1. I got to the salon at 5:30 and Natasha was triple booked. Her assistant had to do my hair and when I complained to Natasha, she said that she works with assistants and walked away no apologies.

2. At 6:15 (almost 45 minutes after I had first arrived) the assistant walks out with a bowl of relaxer. I was taken back at her gall. She never asked me what brand of relaxer I used or what strength and I would not take her word for it either.
I told her I had my own relaxer. The silly woman misunderstood me and began to base me with relaxer!!!. thankfully I based my head at home b/4 I arrived. I screamed and she apologised and proceeded to base my hair with the proper base.

3. As she relaxed she proceded to comb each section with a fine toothed comb. My hair wich usually comes out very bouncy came out a bit on the limp side b/c I am convinced her combing action sped up the relaxer process.

4. Natasha came amnd spoke to me after she realized that I was from a hair board. That's when she apologized and offered me a free deep conditioning on my next visit. I guess she realized she would be trashed on the internet was trying to do damage control. Too little to late. (BTW brownrelaxed trashed her b/4 I eaven got the chance too!!)

5) After our hair was dry there were at least 5 other women in curlers waiting to be styled by Natasha. At this point BrownRelaxed and I started taking out our rollers on our own b/c we were truly fed up.

6) Natasha ended up giving me a free trim (more damage control). I was flabbergasted when she handed me my bill of $98.80. I asked why considering I even brought my own relaxer. I was told b/c they used the Affirm 5-1 reconstructer on me. <font color="red">The 5-1 is basically used as a neutralizer and not deep treatment after a relaxer. Shouldn't neutralizing be part of relaxing????</font>

6) I left the salon at 9:15 and it was pouring rain. My hair looked nice after I left but this was definately a painful &amp; expensive experience. I can not recommend this salon to anyone in good conscience.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of foolishness am I hearing??? This is one of the mandatory steps of using the Affirm relaxer. One should not have to pay extra for it. The manufacturer of the Affirm has this step after the rinsing of the relaxer from the hair, followed by neutralization. The 5 in 1 strengthens the hairshaft while the cuticle is open. I have some in my bathroom! What the heck is WRONG with these people. What, she thinks that it's optional that you omit it???

Anyway, I'm supposed to be congratulating BRH on what fine progress her hair is making and I am being totally sidetracked!!! Lookin' good, BRH. What I am constantly being reminded of is the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Ladies, if you find a good hairdresser that works excellent with your hair, stick them. It's not worth the hair damage, aggravation or money in the long run!

Ajamericandiva, oh yeah, a lesson learned by me! I'm sticking where I know now!
Thanks for the compliment. By the way, your really good at the make up skills, I saw your profile, you did those??? okay you need to give me some tips..

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
brownrelaxedhair said:
Ajamericandiva, oh yeah, a lesson learned by me! I'm sticking where I know now!
Thanks for the compliment. By the way, your really good at the make up skills, I saw your profile, you did those??? okay you need to give me some tips..

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, it's a lesson that I have to be reminded of everyday
... especially when going to the beauty supply or even trying new skincare products. You feel like everything is perfect and you're untouchable... "surely this product will take me to the next level!" Then "whammo!", your skin starts breaking out again or your hair starts misbehavin'.
Oh well. I tell myself again and again... "Stick with what you know!"

As far as makeup goes, you can check out more of my work if you look in my album (in signature) under "See Diva's work" or something to that effect. I used to do a lot of hairshoots with a lot of different salons and have had stuff in a lot of black haircare publications (i.e. Sophisticate's Black Haircare, Hype Hair, etc). That's why when you guys call some names, i.e. Marvin Carrington, Tippi Shorter, Richard Green... the infamous Joseph's salon, I know who you're talking about. After a while, I got tired of it... these types of pics weren't really taking me where I wanted to go. I'm sure you understand. Need tips? Talk to me... then again, you live in New York as well...