My "protective" style

Glib Gurl

Well, my "protective" style of rolling my hair at night and then finger combing for a mass of curls in the morning is not all that "protective." Last night after rolling my hair, I was disgusted when I looked down and saw all the bits of hair that broke off as I was rolling. That is it. After I get relaxed on Friday I am pretty much done with this style . . .at least for a while. I plan on bunning it (and hopefully using phony ponies) until I can get past SL . . . then maybe my hair will be up to the task. But yeah, if I want a bunch of curls, I think I'm going to have to go with my carusos.

dlewis

Why don't you try rollersetting with small rollers. That would did you the look you want and you won't have to roll every night.

mzhotniz86

Well, my "protective" style of rolling my hair at night and then finger combing for a mass of curls in the morning is not all that "protective." Last night after rolling my hair, I was disgusted when I looked down and saw all the bits of hair that broke off as I was rolling. That is it. After I get relaxed on Friday I am pretty much done with this style . . .at least for a while. I plan on bunning it (and hopefully using phony ponies) until I can get past SL . . . then maybe my hair will be up to the task. But yeah, if I want a bunch of curls, I think I'm going to have to go with my carusos.

are you just dry rolling your hair? rollersets are best done on wet hair because of the tension used when you wind the hair around the roller. if you have time, try spritzing a little leave in mixed with water to dampen your hair before rolling. or just use your caruso steam rollers :) for the same effect. i had to stop rollersetting my hair last year cause my ends were constantly getting damaged. now i just do it every once in awhile. or you can also try pin curls (with the soft bobby pins)

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Why don't you try rollersetting with small rollers. That would did you the look you want and you won't have to roll every night.
If it's the curly look you like, maybe you could try bantu knots, they come out pretty also.

Glib Gurl

They're actually pretty tiny already . . . I think that the smaller rollers are the problem . . . the curl is so tight that when I go to finger comb I get breakage. (So maybe it's really a moisture or protein problem?) When I use larger rollers I actually have less breakage - but those suckers are hard to sleep in!

Glib Gurl

are you just dry rolling your hair? rollersets are best done on wet hair because of the tension used when you wind the hair around the roller. if you have time, try spritzing a little leave in mixed with water to dampen your hair before rolling. or just use your caruso steam rollers :) for the same effect. i had to stop rollersetting my hair last year cause my ends were constantly getting damaged. now i just do it every once in awhile. or you can also try pin curls (with the soft bobby pins)

Yes I am dry rolling. That is a great point about wetness and tension. If I dampened my hair, wouldn't my hair come out limp the next morning? (BTW I'm not using magnetic or any other sort of rollers that would allow for air to flow through - these are basically flexirods.)

mzhotniz86

Yes I am dry rolling. That is a great point about wetness and tension. If I dampened my hair, wouldn't my hair come out limp the next morning? (BTW I'm not using magnetic or any other sort of rollers that would allow for air to flow through - these are basically flexirods.)

it depends if you get it completely dry or not by the time you go to take them out. ive tried it a few times and i let it dry before tying it up ( i didnt dampen it too much, just enough that it has moisture on it) and i use a satin scarf to avoid the hair rubbing and causing any frizziness.but i figure doing the carusos would be just as good. i mean either or, just dont roll it dry :)

Glib Gurl

it depends if you get it completely dry or not by the time you go to take them out. ive tried it a few times and i let it dry before tying it up ( i didnt dampen it too much, just enough that it has moisture on it) and i use a satin scarf to avoid the hair rubbing and causing any frizziness.but i figure doing the carusos would be just as good. i mean either or, just dont roll it dry :)

I will give this a try - thanks!!!