Phony Ponies- As A protective style

Tif392002

Have any off yall used phony ponies as a protective style. Im thinking about using a phony pony for the remainder of the year. What do you think? Please give advice if you used one as a protective stlye. Thanks.

I have used them in the past and I have been using them more lately now because it is so hot out. I like them because they are just soo easy, wash, gel, go.

My best advice is dont put them on too tight, and find something that is a close match to your hair.

Here is an old thread with lots of ideas and pics:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=347467

You hair looks GREAT in your piki btw.

ok, thanks... i had that in mind already. i wont put thm to tight and watch my edges , i dont want them to fade out.. do you leave the ponytail holder for a couple of days,. or do it over everyday.. im gonna get me some of those soft ponytail holders...

thanks, today is my first day wearing it "out " tomororo will be back to protective styles. as im in the growing out phase.

I have used them in the past and I have been using them more lately now because it is so hot out. I like them because they are just soo easy, wash, gel, go.

My best advice is dont put them on too tight, and find something that is a close match to your hair.

Here is an old thread with lots of ideas and pics:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=347467

You hair looks GREAT in your piki btw.

I wear a phony pony.. I agree with all of the above and be careful how u place the comb in ur hair.. not only can it make ur scalp tender, but u can lose hair there too.. well I did (but this was before I started taking better care of my hair)

I dont wear it everyday so yes, I take mine down daily so my hair can do its own wild thing when I get home :yep:

Last edited:
Is a phony pony the same as a drawstring pony? I've never worn either I don't have any personal experience to add but I saw a video by DPrincess28 on Youtube and she talked about I believe a drawstring pony. She said she should've changed the style up more and not worn it as long as it did cause it caused breakage, I think she wore hers for a year. Check out her transitioning videos it might be in one of those.

Yes, I did before my hair was long enough to bun. It was great because I could baggy underneath. I used a human-hair pony by Milky Way and it looked very natural.

Is a phony pony the same as a drawstring pony? I've never worn either I don't have any personal experience to add but I saw a video by DPrincess28 on Youtube and she talked about I believe a drawstring pony. She said she should've changed the style up more and not worn it as long as it did cause it caused breakage, I think she wore hers for a year. Check out her transitioning videos it might be in one of those.

i seen that video... i plan to wear mine to work if i dont wear a beanie cap or wig ( to hot for wigs in texas) and i will let my hair rest from the pony on weekends, cuz i also heard they can make your scalp tender. i will see how this works.

I use a phony pony to give me some variety. I got tired of my plain old buns. I use them to make a huge bun and so far I love them!

I don't use the combs. I use the drawstring and bobby pins. The combs give me a headache.

Tiff- I take mine down daily to mosturize. As a matter of fact when I am home at night my hair is in a french braid.

I cut the combs out of mine also I draw it tight and then put it on over a large scrunchy. It's pretty secure like this but if I feel like I want a liittle extra security, I will put 2 bobby pins in.

Last edited:
Yes, I used them when I first started on my LHCF journey. I can't stress enough about what the other ladies said- don't make it too tight. I am still dealing with a two inch spot at my front edge that I damaged. I washed and DC and roller set my hair once a week. I used Africas best hair gel to smooth my hair down . I interchange phony ponys by the week/day. When I had a lot of new growth, I tried to tighten the ponytail to give it a smoother look (the gel would only lay down so much of my beady beads). I eventually went to the lace front, when gel was just not able to hide the edges and It stopped blending well. In retrospect. I would have switched to the wigs as soon as it became to unmanagable. I follow the school of Sylver2 as far as stretching is concerned. I went 6 months and now I have more hair on my head then I've had my whole life. Good Luck.

Yes, I used them when I first started on my LHCF journey. I can't stress enough about what the other ladies said- don't make it too tight. I am still dealing with a two inch spot at my front edge that I damaged. I washed and DC and roller set my hair once a week. I used Africas best hair gel to smooth my hair down . I interchange phony ponys by the week/day. When I had a lot of new growth, I tried to tighten the ponytail to give it a smoother look (the gel would only lay down so much of my beady beads). I eventually went to the lace front, when gel was just not able to hide the edges and It stopped blending well. In retrospect. I would have switched to the wigs as soon as it became to unmanagable. I follow the school of Sylver2 as far as stretching is concerned. I went 6 months and now I have more hair on my head then I've had my whole life. Good Luck.

Thanks for all yall responses, i just had to LOL when I read beady beads, remind me of martin LOL!!

I wear a phony pony.. I agree with all of the above and be careful how u place the comb in ur hair.. not only can it make ur scalp tender, but u can lose hair there too.. well I did (but this was before I started taking better care of my hair)

I dont wear it everyday so yes, I take mine down daily so my hair can do its own wild thing when I get home :yep:

why do they make your scalp tender? I thought it might be because the scalp doesn't get as much air.

i never liked phony ponys as a relaxed head because it never looked natural to me, they were always too shiny and black compared to my hair. but im going to texlax and then get a puff phony pony which look way more natural! well i can tell because no ones puff has the EXACT sized curls in a puff but anyone whose not into hair care wont notice :)

Tiff- I take mine down daily to mosturize. As a matter of fact when I am home at night my hair is in a french braid.

I cut the combs out of mine also I draw it tight and then put it on over a large scrunchy. It's pretty secure like this but if I feel like I want a liittle extra security, I will put 2 bobby pins in.

Me too! :yep: Moisturize then french braid.

Back