My LHCF Letter to the Tyra Show... I NEED EDITS!

BeautifulFlower

A woman’s hair is her crowning glory. It adds to her beauty and sexuality. Yet Black Women are plagued with an ever present insecurity of their crowning glory, their hair. We have been lead to believe that we have “bad” hair. We have been lead to believe that our hair can not grow and that our hair can only achieve beautiful, great lengths with hair extensions. We have been lead to believe this lie from society, our mothers, our ancestors, other cultures, the media, our stylist and we have even convinced ourselves of this lie.

After seeing the Tyra Show episode about men of different races perceptions of women of different races, I was completely offended. Only one of the men found the black women desirable enough to marry. None of the men found the black women desirable enough to fantasize about. The Asian guy stated that he does not like the hair of the black women but she has her behind to offer as a beautiful, desirable thing. I was completely offended and I could only imagine how insecure and hurt the black women in the audience felt. I can only imagine that they left the studio feeling undesirable and unwanted.

I would like to propose a show about Black Women with Very Long Hair. I personally know hundreds of Black Women with long hair around the world. They are busting the myth and helping other women to do it as well. Black and mixed ethnicity women are growing their hair to long lengths at rates never imagined before by the African American community. We have been sabotaged long enough by damaging hair practices passed to us by the hair industry, our hair stylist, and even our unknowledgeable family members.

I believe a Black Hair Care Expert and several long haired black women can come on the show and share tips, techniques, and the steps that have attributed to their growth retention. All of the women will have bra strap length to tail bone length hair. They will present proof that they have normal African American hair and it is long, healthy, and real. It’s about Black Women learning that they are not so different and their hair is normal. It’s about Black Women feeling beautiful, desirable, and sexy while having fun with growing their hair like never before. Black Women do grow their hair. Black Women are sexy. Black Women are desirable. Black Women’s hair is unique and it is capable to be just as beautiful, thick, strong, healthy, and shiny as any other race or culture. Whether relaxed, “textlaxed”, or natural, our hair is beautiful and the most versatile of any race.

I believe Tyra, being a Black Women who I am sure has challenges with her hair, would love to know about black hair care and have some guest come and share their tips, stories and testimonials on the show. Tyra has laid the foundation for presenting Black Women to be desirable. I believe its time to add to the image Tyra has created and present this to the world.

Is this a little better?

Understand, I AM NOT looking for whether you agree with the letter. I am looking for support and edits to the letter. That is it. If you do not support it then please do not post. Thank You!

Last edited:

crazydaze911

Below is a letter I am going to send to the Tyra Banks show. I would like you ladies to correct it for grammatical errors and any suggestions. I am going to send it within a few days to edits needed ASAP! Thank you in advance. :grin:

A woman’s hair is her crowning glory. It adds to her beauty and sexuality. Yet Black Women are plagued with an ever present insecurity of their crowning glory, their hair. We have been lead to believe that we have “bad” hair. We have been lead to believe that our hair can not grow and that our hair can only achieve beautiful great length with hair extensions. We have been lead to believe this lie from society, our mothers, our ancestors, other cultures, the media, our stylist and we have even convinced ourselves of this.

After seeing the Tyra Show episode about men of different races perceptions of women of different races, I was completely offended. Only one of the men found the black women desirable enough to marry. None of the men found the black women desirable enough to fantasize about. The Asian guy stated that he does not like the hair of the black women but she has her behind to offer as a beautiful, desirable thing. I was completely offended and I could only imagine how insecure and hurt the black women in the audience felt. I can only imagine that they left the studio feeling undesirable and unwanted.

There is a hair community online called www.longhaircareforum.com where thousands of black and mixed ethnicity women around the world have joined together to bust the myth. Women on the community are growing their hair to long lengths at rates never imagined before by the African American community. We have been sabotaged long enough by damaging hair practices past to us by the hair industry, our hair stylist, and even our unknowledgeable family members.

In the Feature of the Month on the site, you can see a few of the women that have grown their hair to waist length or below. However, these featured women are only a few of the many women who have been acknowledged by the site moderators for growing their hair long and beautiful. The ladies share their hair regimens, post their hair journey photos albums, and review products that are working or not working for them. This is a support community and I love it. My hair personally has completely changed. If you have questions there are tons of ladies waiting to help where they can offer their experience and expertise. You can share your victories, struggles, disappointments, and thoughts. It’s about Black Women learning that they are not so different and their hair is normal. It’s about Black Women feeling beautiful, desirable, and sexy while having fun with growing their hair like never before. Black women can grow their hair. Black women are sexy. Black women are desirable. Black women’s hair is different but it is capable to be just as beautiful, thick, strong, healthy, and shiny as any other race or culture. Whether relaxed, “textlaxed”, or natural, our hair is beautiful and the most versatile of any race.

I believe Tyra, being a Black Women who I am sure has challenges with her hair, would love to know about this site and have several of the LHCF members come and share their tips, stories and testimonials on the show. Tyra has laid the foundation for presenting Black Women to be desirable. I believe its time to add to the image Tyra has created and present this to the world.

I think it should be "passed" but overall. Very good letter.
I think maybe you should be more specific as to what you want HER to do and what show topic EXACTLY u would like discussed (just the website? or women's hair? or only black woman's hair?
Also - this is a little off topic, but when exactly was the last time we've seen Tyras real hair? would we know it if we saw it?

BeautifulFlower

I think it should be "passed" but overall. Very good letter.
I think maybe you should be more specific as to what you want HER to do and what show topic EXACTLY u would like discussed (just the website? or women's hair? or only black woman's hair?
Also - this is a little off topic, but when exactly was the last time we've seen Tyras real hair? would we know it if we saw it?

You're right. I thought the past was wrong. Ok, I want it be about black women hair and the support community LHCF. So I should narrow into that.

I have no idea bout her hair but I would imagine she is no different then the other black women of the world.

loved

I have seen a lot of concern expressed on this board for the way Tyra treats black hair on ANTM, and her own for that matter.

glamazon386

I'm sorry but I don't want LHCF featured on the Tyra Show. And I'm sure I'm not the only person here on this board that feels that way. :look: This site is like a safe haven for many people. Especially since we post pictures and discuss personal matters. And if you put it on the Tyra Show this site is going to become utter chaos. We just saw that earlier this week with somebody coming to the board and discovering they knew somebody here in real life. It just turned into a total circus at that person's expense and was not fair. :nono: Everybody is not ready to absorb all the resources and information on this site. They're not in the right frame of mind yet. I think you should still write into the show because I think this is a topic that needs to be done but I don't think you should put the site in there.

Last edited:

Eiano

OH YEA!

Below is a letter I am going to send to the Tyra Banks show. I would like you ladies to correct it for grammatical errors and any suggestions. I am going to send it within a few days to edits needed ASAP! Thank you in advance. :grin:

A woman’s hair is her crowning glory. It adds to her beauty and sexuality. Yet Black Women are plagued with an ever present insecurity of their crowning glory, their hair. We have been lead to believe that we have “bad” hair. We have been lead to believe that our hair can not grow and that our hair can only achieve beautiful great length with hair extensions. We have been lead to believe this lie from society, our mothers, our ancestors, other cultures, the media, our stylist and we have even convinced ourselves of this.

There is a hair community online called www.longhaircareforum.com where thousands of black and mixed ethnicity women around the world have joined together to bust the myth. Women on the community are growing their hair to long lengths at rates never imagined before by the African American community. We have been sabotaged long enough by damaging hair practices past to us by the hair industry, our hair stylist, and even our unknowledgeable family members.

In the Feature of the Month on the site, you can see a few of the women that have grown their hair to waist length or below. However, these featured women are only a few of the many women who have been acknowledged by the site moderators for growing their hair long and beautiful. The ladies share their hair regimens, post their hair journey photos albums, and review products that are working or not working for them. This is a support community and I love it. My hair personally has completely changed. If you have questions there are tons of ladies waiting to help where they can offer their experience and expertise. You can share your victories, struggles, disappointments, and thoughts. It’s about Black Women learning that they are not so different and their hair is normal. It’s about Black Women feeling beautiful, desirable, and sexy while having fun with growing their hair like never before. Black women can grow their hair. Black women are sexy. Black women are desirable. Black women’s hair is different but it is capable to be just as beautiful, thick, strong, healthy, and shiny as any other race or culture. Whether relaxed, “textlaxed”, or natural, our hair is beautiful and the most versatile of any race.

I believe Tyra, being a Black Women who I am sure has challenges with her hair, would love to know about this site and have several of the LHCF members come and share their tips, stories and testimonials on the show. Tyra has laid the foundation for presenting Black Women to be desirable. I believe its time to add to the image Tyra has created and present this to the world.

Not a grammatical error but "black women" should be kept the same way capitalizationwise.... so if you capitalize Black Women in one section, you should keep it the same in the other section and not make it "black women" (not capitalized)

Also, Tyra is a Black Woman (singular).

ETA: OK that is not part of the letter to send! :)

Well we don't have to say LHCF, we can say women from all around the US have techniques to grow hair or something like that. Maybe a few women could step up and say "Yeah, my name is FoxxyMama and this is my friend Hairluvr and we go way back and we love to grow long hair, these are some tips we've picked up"

Last edited:

BeautifulFlower

I have seen a lot of concern expressed on this board for the way Tyra treats black hair on ANTM, and her own for that matter.

Maybe this can be a wakeup call and learning experience for her. I would imagine the Entertainment Industry would be murder on any head of hair of any race. It requires lots of manipulation, dye jobs, and heat on a regular basis. Of course, black hair takes a major hit because it is prone to dryness. I think we need to start taking this message to the world and make a change. Its nice in the LHCF bubble but lets get out of the bubble and stand for something.

growinstrong

I agree :yep:

I'm sorry but I don't want LHCF featured on the Tyra Show. And I'm sure I'm not the only person here on this board that feels that way. :look: This site is like a safe haven for many people. Especially since we post pictures and discuss personal matters. And if you put it on the Tyra Show this site is going to become utter chaos. We just saw that earlier this week with somebody coming to the board and discovering they knew somebody here in real life. It just turned into a total circus at that person's expense and was not fair. :nono: Everybody is not ready to absorb all the resources and information on this site. They're not in the right frame of mind yet. I think you should still write into the show because I think this is a topic that needs to be done but I don't think you should put the site in there.

BeautifulFlower

Re: OH YEA!

Thank you. I didnt notice I did that. I intended for it to be the same all over.

Not a grammatical error but "black women" should be kept the same way capitalizationwise.... so if you capitalize Black Women in one section, you should keep it the same in the other section and not make it "black women" (not capitalized)

Also, Tyra is a Black Woman (singular).

ETA: OK that is not part of the letter to send! :)

Well we don't have to say LHCF, we can say women from all around the US have techniques to grow hair or something like that. Maybe a few women could step up and say "Yeah, my name is FoxxyMama and this is my friend Hairluvr and we go way back and we love to grow long hair, these are some tips we've picked up"

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

I agree with everything, especially the bolded.

A, I know your intentions are good but I think you should PM Beverly before making this type of move involving the forum. :yep:

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I agree and was thinking the same thing. Everyone isn't ready and won't know how to act on this board.

glamazon386

So what are suggestions on how to show the great lengths of black hair without pointing them in this direction?

I think writing a letter requesting that she do a show on black hair is sufficient enough. Your letter is a good one. :yep: We all know the controversy that surrounds black hair and it is a big part of our lives. And I truly think that needs to be talked about. But you can do that without throwing this site up into the mix.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
VERY nice letter... the only thing I would suggest is "It adds to her beauty and sensuality" Darn... did I spell that right?? It doesn't look right:lachen: That ever happen to you??

BeautifulFlower

Ok Well I wont send anything. I believe that regardless of what people my not be ready for Black Women need to know that they dont have to struggle the way they do. I'll keep LHCF in its bubble.

Empress Yahudah

had to spell out.....

I Totaly Agree!!!!!!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
So what are suggestions on how to show the great lengths of black hair without pointing them in this direction?

Maybe you can mention that you "know" several women with lengthy, healthy tresses. I'm sure there are women on the board that wouldn't mind representing for healthy-haired black women. I would be willing to share a photo or two or perhaps even make an appearance. :) I'm sure others would as well.

Mimi22

They will be a lot of conflicting arguements......:ohwell:

But I support any letter of enlightenment. I just hope Tyra sees it that way. Perhaps if approved we ask that members privacy be maintained throughout the course of the presentation?

Also, can other black hair care sites be mentioned if possible?? I know black hair care media is a good disscussion forum, as well as nappurality.

Would overall permission need to be gained from LHCF moderators?? After all we're the consumers, but they're the ones that organise, monitor and keep this site up to par.

fluffylocks

I kind of agree.

And i think something that is more credible for Tyra Banks to talk about, and for people who know nothing about hair to believe, yet still be informed is if you were to write to her about hair books.
Like Cathy Howse, Shamboosie, Caroyln Gray ect. That way if anything came of it, the actual authors could come on the show, and people could ask questions, more women would buy the books, and become informed that way.
Then if they wanted further information, they could come on this site themselves.
It seems like if this site was just advertised over a t.v. show, then women here would be put into the limelight, and people would critize and stuff like that---for some reason i think this site is better if people actually search for it & really are open to learning everything they can.

I really love what you wrote in the lettter though. I think this will be a good thing. Right now i read there are about 20,000 members on here, and who knows how many black women there are in the world and what precentage of us have benefited from this site, others, and hairbooks, but it would be nice for all of us to know about haircare.

Eiano

Maybe you can mention that you "know" several women with lengthy, healthy tresses. I'm sure there are women on the board that wouldn't mind representing for healthy-haired black women. I would be willing to share a photo or two or perhaps even make an appearance. :) I'm sure others would as well.

Exaclty what I was saying.
2 or 3 women (one natural, one relaxed one texlaxed/texturized whatevs) could be LHCf reps and not mention the site... only that these are the ideas they have. They can debunk the theory that black women and water don't mix. LMAO.
...and that slapping on grease as a moisturizer is no good and blow driers and flat irons, although make the hair seem like it looks good, causes extreme damage. AND we can use white girl products and have bouncier hair than with "our own" products.

secretdiamond

This is exactly what I thought to do if I ever wrote a letter. I wouldn't include LHCF, but I would ask for volunteers from the site to show-off the beautiful head of hair we are capable of having! LHCF women could even go on a show & credit the techniques as opposed to the site.

ETA: Like someone above said, mentioning the books is another GREAT idea. You don't have to nix the entire letter. You asked for suggestions so members her were giving them to you. Don't abandon your idea, it's a great one!

Last edited:

glamazon386

And i think something that is more credible for Tyra Banks to talk about, and for people who know nothing about hair to believe, yet still be informed is if you were to write to her about hair books.
Like Cathy Howse, Shamboosie, Caroyln Gray ect. That way if anything came of it, the actual authors could come on the show, and people could ask questions, more women would buy the books, and become informed that way.
Then if they wanted further information, they could come on this site themselves.

I agree with the bolded. I also think that Tyra is going to want experts (not saying that the ladies here aren't experts) and the authors of those books or stylists would prove to be that. I mean sure us ladies on this board know about hair care (even more than some stylists) but for the most part we are not professionals either. Most people won't take unsolicited advice. There are people who spent years going to hair school, learning their craft and paying their dues to work in this field. So let them have that. Tyra has to look at it from a credibility standpoint as well. I do think that having a few representatives from this site to showcase their hair and tips is a great idea though. :yep: And please include at least one natural person. That needs to be discussed too.

Last edited:

glamazon386

They will be a lot of conflicting arguements......:ohwell:

But I support any letter of enlightenment. I just hope Tyra sees it that way. Perhaps if approved we ask that members privacy be maintained throughout the course of the presentation?

Also, can other black hair care sites be mentioned if possible?? I know black hair care media is a good disscussion forum, as well as nappurality.

Would overall permission need to be gained from LHCF moderators?? After all we're the consumers, but they're the ones that organise, monitor and keep this site up to par.

I think BHM and Nappturality are going to cause even more drama than this site. :look:

poetist

I think writing a letter requesting that she do a show on black hair is sufficient enough. Your letter is a good one. :yep: We all know the controversy that surrounds black hair and it is a big part of our lives. And I truly think that needs to be talked about. But you can do that without throwing this site up into the mix.

ITA with Bmore. I think a show should be done, but I dont want the world to know about LHCF. I saw the show with the guys basically hating on us, but truth be told, its all about what the media (including the Tyra Banks show) wants to portray. From personal experience as well as reading posts from other members, Black woman are the fantasy of MANY men, particularly non black men and the WORLD knows this. Not only do people love our hair, but many non blacks are awed by our natural tresses. So many of our natural LHCF sistas have posted about men and women of other nationalites stopping them to inquire about the tresses. So to me, Tyra's show was a blatant fallacy.

glamazon386

ITA with Bmore. I think a show should be done, but I dont want the world to know about LHCF. I saw the show with the guys basically hating on us, but truth be told, its all about what the media (including the Tyra Banks show) wants to portray. From personal experience as well as reading posts from other members, Black woman are the fantasy of MANY men, particularly non black men and the WORLD knows this. Not only do people love our hair, but many non blacks are awed by our natural tresses. So many of our natural LHCF sistas have posted about men and women of other nationalites stopping them to inquire about the tresses. So to me, Tyra's show was a blatant fallacy.

I agree with the bolded but I don't think it's so much a fallacy. While we all know that they like black women, I think it was more of a not wanting to admit it thing. Especially not on national tv. It's like these days every body wants to be black, but nobody really wants to be black. Think about how things have changed in regard to being mixed. It used to be one drop of black made you black, now you have people who don't even claim their black heritage.

I think it's more about them being afraid to admit it. And being concerned about what other people thing or the stigmas that may be associated with that. Also, you have to think about how the majority of our women are portrayed in the media. It's not right, but it is what it is. And these men of other races may not want to be associated with that except behind closed doors. :look: Which sucks. Black is Beautiful. I just wish everybody would come to know and accept it as the truth.

Last edited: