My Brother Said.....(Don't Get Mad)

equestrian

Theres one gal in my spanish class who's hair smells like petroleum grease and baby powder. She can't speak a sentence in spanish to save her life so the teacher seated me next to her. :ohwell:

My scalp used to itch like no tomorrow when I'd take my helmet off after horseback riding. This hasn't happened since I started washing frequently.

Last edited:

ellebelle88

Reading this thread made me go ahead and get started with my pre-poo early today :lol: Can't wait until I'm deep conditioning with my Oscar Blandi masque. It smells really good and it has staying power. Even though I put on several products, blow dry, and flat iron after my dc, I can still smell the Oscar Blandi treatment the strongest for the rest of the week :lick:

I can't stand being on the El next to someone who doesn't smell right...:nono:

Okay BlackCardinal, exactly what is the name of this Oscar Blandi hair mask?? :grin:

And I have been around so many black women with foul smelling hair. I don't understand how they don't smell their own hair but I don't recall ever thinking my hair smelled horrible when I was younger and didn't wash it for months. But yes, men love freshly washed, good-smelling hair. Everytime I wash my hair and a dude happens to be around it, I get compliments. I wish there were more black hair care products which smelled nicely. My problem is I want the scent to last at least 3 or 4 days. The scent usually fades after the first day for me.

BlackMasterPiece

Wait.....Traycee......why yo SIL don't know about co-washin.........you didn't get your SIL started on her HHJ?!?!?!? mmm mm mmmmmmm

:giggle:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
ITA, I even love the way my hair smells and feels after it's been freshly washed/co-washed. I don't know how I was able to keep hair on my head prior to LHCF because I would wash only 2 to 3 times a month, now I can't barely go more than three days. I even like when my braid-outs don't last just so I can co-wash my hair. Men in all races love my hair, and you can smell the coconut, rosemary, lavender, or peppermint a mile away.

Traycee

Hahahaha...Girl this thread is 2 years old.....They are divorced...That marriage didn't last long at all :ohwell:....But back when this thread was started I was still new into my HHJ and everyone thought my hair was going to fall out from all that co washing and stuff...My SIL included...I would love for her to see my hair now...lol

Wait.....Traycee......why yo SIL don't know about co-washin.........you didn't get your SIL started on her HHJ?!?!?!? mmm mm mmmmmmm

:giggle:

Last edited:

Traycee

my home girl demanded that i add this lol

i was on the phone with her while i was typing my response a little earlier. since i cant type and listen at the same time lol i wasnt paying attention to my friend which prompted her to ask what i was doing. i told her about this thread which she fully agrees with op's brother on. but she had to add

"hey mo, maybe that's why you tend to date a lot of black dudes that usually date white girls. i always thought it was weird but maybe they dont have a thing for white girls, maybe they have a thing for aussie moist!!!" lmao sorry, my friend is retarded and she wouldnt shut up unless i promised to post this on her behalf :lol:

Now thats funny....:lachen:

BlackMasterPiece

Hahahaha...Girl this thread is 2 years old.....They are divorced...That marriage didn't last long at all :ohwell:....But back when this thread was started I was still new into my HHJ and everyone thought my hair was going to fall out from all that co washing and stuff...My SIL included...I would love for her to see my hair now...lol
bwaaaaaa:lachen: you so cold Traycee...cold as ice!:lol:

lolascurls

Lol! I like when old threads resurface!
You've all got me wanting to run back to the flat to co-wash right now (middle of the day at work!) :lol: :lol:
But I get the point, men AND women complimented me at work when I was co-washing really frequently in the summer! I think it's time to up that now with Spring here! :woot:
Seriously there were comments about fruity smells, coconutty smells.....makes a girl's head grow in size (now for my hair to catch up! :lol:)

beans4reezy

Come to think of it, I used to be best friends with a girl who had the worst scalp condition I've ever seen. Not only did her hair have that distinct smell of grease and sweat, but her scalp condition produced fist size pieces of dandruff (I am NOT exaggerating either). She used to make me itch (with a comb) and grease her scalp and there were LAYERS, I mean LAYERS, of dry skin and dandruff. I mean, scales and scales of the stuff. During those sessions, I had to literally dodge pellets of dandruff coming at my face- sadly, there were some casualties (like a piece of dandruff hit me in the eye a few times).

Looking back, this is a girl who should have cowashed EVERY day, I really feel as if the increased moisture would have seriously helped her situation. But at the time, we had no idea- this girl still ONLY washed 1 - 2x a month!

Til this day, I wonder if she still has that same problem, which, if she does, my skin is crawling just thinking about it. She's married now- how does her DH take it?????

Barbie83

Come to think of it, I used to be best friends with a girl who had the worst scalp condition I've ever seen. Not only did her hair have that distinct smell of grease and sweat, but her scalp condition produced fist size pieces of dandruff (I am NOT exaggerating either). She used to make me itch (with a comb) and grease her scalp and there were LAYERS, I mean LAYERS, of dry skin and dandruff. I mean, scales and scales of the stuff. During those sessions, I had to literally dodge pellets of dandruff coming at my face- sadly, there were some casualties (like a piece of dandruff hit me in the eye a few times).
^^^:barf:

I wish I could co-wash everyday. but since I can only manage 2x (3x in the summer), I like to use conditioner as my leave-in, especially when bunning. It gives me that fresh smell every day :yep:

TamedTresses

You made my skin crawl with that one. :barf: You're a better friend than I am, because it couldn't have been me. She would've had to deal with that on her own.

Solitude

I know plently of white girls who wash their hair once a week. It really depends on the area they are from.

Ok, I thought it was only me. I know yt, Hispanic, and Asian girls who wash infrequently. I actually thought non-black women were starting to wash their hair less due to them learning about it being dried out, etc. from shampoos and not wanting to use heat (blowdryers) so frequently.

I wash my hair one-two times a week and it never smells bad. If I feel like washing it more frequently (say, after a workout), I do. I wish I could push it to only washing every two weeks.

However, I refrain from putting a bunch of oils and other stuff in my hair. I just moisturize my ends every other day - no build-up = no bad smell. ETA: Whoever mentioned Ocsar Blandi products was spot on. The Jasmine Oil is amazing.

Interesting thread, Traycee.

Last edited:

Solitude

I did want to add that I know exactly what you guys are talking about, though. Once when I was very little I had some box braids in for a month or two during the summer. I was running around and sweating daily - I only washed them after swimming. My dad told my mom to take the braids down because they smelled so bad :perplexed :blush:.

Lola Laughs

hmm. i've read many times on this board that VS So Sexy or whatever its called smells so good. but when i went to the store and smelled it, it didn't smell all that great. maybe its one of those things that isn't 'wow' until you use it. ♥

I co-washed with it this weekend and liked the smell. But when I asked DH if could he smell it, he said yeah, I could smell it as soon as you walked in the room, with his nose turned up. Guess he doesn't care 2 much for it. :ohwell:

BostonMaria

I'll have to agree. I definitely get lots of attention when I wash my hair and I pick a fruity smelling conditioner.

I went to the gym a few weeks ago and while I was in the steam room there were a bunch of stinky women in there. They smelled like musty hair and dandruff. I almost threw up! Can't imagine how their DH's/SO's thought of their stanky hair!

BostonMaria

Looking back, this is a girl who should have cowashed EVERY day, I really feel as if the increased moisture would have seriously helped her situation. But at the time, we had no idea- this girl still ONLY washed 1 - 2x a month!

Til this day, I wonder if she still has that same problem, which, if she does, my skin is crawling just thinking about it. She's married now- how does her DH take it?????

No lie, I think I'm going to vomit

bluwatersoul

??

OMG, I had a friend when we were teenagers/preteens she had the same thing once - this stuff was like her whole scalp was coming off in shelf sized chunks. The condition didnt last forever, but I recall it clearly as it completely skeeved me out. She had a beautiful head of hair, however- past BSL (if it were straightened) and thick. But that crazy white stuff...Gawd...

I remember her mom used glovers on her scalp, which is why to this day I smell that and think about that alien dandruff....

equestrian

OMG, I had a friend when we were teenagers/preteens she had the same thing once - this stuff was like her whole scalp was coming off in shelf sized chunks. The condition didnt last forever, but I recall it clearly as it completely skeeved me out. She had a beautiful head of hair, however- past BSL (if it were straightened) and thick. But that crazy white stuff...Gawd...

I remember her mom used glovers on her scalp, which is why to this day I smell that and think about that alien dandruff....

That is plain repulsive. I wanna jump in the shower and shampoo once more just by reading this stuff!

Boujoichic

I love it when I can smell my own hair smelling fresh. Even before the discovering the hair boards I washed at least once a week I cant go longer without my head itching off the meters and my hair sticking to head (my scalp produces a fair amount of oil). Now I still do a major wash day every sunday but I co wash as needed in between as well I do this while I have my weave installs as well I use color applicator bottles to make sure I get under there. Unfortunately I do see a lot of ladies still believing that washing is not good for our hair with caked up product in their hair dandruff etc..

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I STARTED TO RESPOND EARLIER

that peeling scalp/dandruff EXCESS probably was a skin condition

my sister face peels at times, her scalp peels alot-- no itching, just peeling
her ankles, palms , sometimes hands, but it all looks like her scalp

like scaling skin, scalp looks like tons of huge dandruff
her prescriptions treat it... not cure it

and she has the most beautiful long & silky head of black hair u ever want to see

just weird

ConstantlyDynamic

Ok, I thought it was only me. I know yt, Hispanic, and Asian girls who wash infrequently. I actually thought non-black women were starting to wash their hair less due to them learning about it being dried out, etc. from shampoos and not wanting to use heat (blowdryers) so frequently.

I've noticed this as well. a lot of the white girls i know use baby powder to make their hair less oily instead of just washing it. they told me it was because they heard that washing your hair everyday isn't good for you (i'm guessing that they meant "washing it with shampoo"- i doubt they knew they could cowashing and at the time i didn't know about cowashing either so i couldn't inform them. i wish i did know b/c that baby powder technique was a mess to me lol they had to really make sure they blended it well so that their hair wasn't white)

Netta1

I don't like stinky hair....never have and never will.

Now that I have loc's I use a nice lock spray that smells like peppermint....

There is NO reason to walk around with a stinky head..even WITH locs...

Mad Scientist

Sounds like psoriasis or scalp eczema. I used to have the same thing...though not as serious as this. I just was told it was "growing dandruff" and got my scalped greased which does NOT help. It went away eventually and hasn't come back, but I didn't realize until later that it was probably eczema.

And back on topic, my boyfriend does love the fresh hair scent. I think he mentioned before that his exes didn't wash their hair often enough for him to enjoy it.

Also, I think if you don't want to wash or cowash your hair everyday and good way to keep it fresh is to not use a lot of products. I mean, even with non-organic products, stuff you leave in does tend to smell bad after a few days.

Mz.MoMo5235

how in the world do you get the scent to last so long? please share! :yep:

i think cause i use little product through out the week and the stuff i use as leave in smells prettyful too.

like i use aussie moist poo and cond. then i spray a home made moisturizing spritz (juice) in my hair which is primarily water. then i use either HE HH or LTR cond as a leave in and seal with oil. then after that through out the weak i just lightly mist and seal the ends. i leave the rest alone unless it feels dry (usually 3rd day) then i mist, leave in and seal again. by day 7 it still smells fresh

manegoal

When I was relaxed I had dandruff like snowflakes and I washed at least once a week but usually twice because I was self-conscience of it being on my shoulders and elsewhere. I think frequent washing is the only thing that kept my hair "longer than most" in real life anyway. Although I didn't know that back then. Since becoming natural I don't have dandruff like that. My scalp still can get itchy if I don't frequently wash, so I frequently wash or cowash. My niece has a scaly scalp problem now, she always gets washed once a week but I'm thinking about 2x a week for the summer (maybe beyond). Since I have been using Selsun blue or Nizoral on her scalp, it is clear. We both have psoraisis (sp?) which is hereditary. Some ppl have psoraisis worse or milder than others. We both have it along our outer ear canal and she has it in her eyebrows too. My mother and her mother (grandma) have it too.

But yeah, I love my hair to smell good and others do notice and comment on how good it smells. :grin: ETA: I esp. love fruity scents.

Last edited:

virtuenow

This thread made me sick, it sounds very "black bashing". How wonderful for those who chimed in to ad lib/brag about all the compliments they get on their hair smell; but the overall tone is negative-- and on what is supposed to be an uplifting board-- LHCF. If you have to start a thread with "don't get mad...but", then chances are you should not post the thread in the first place. Definitely started off on the wrong note. There are better ways to discuss the joys of co-washing.

Last edited: