My Brother Said.....(Don't Get Mad)

Rei

My hair smells alright I think. I wash once a week.:perplexed I'd love to have that fresh out of the shower smell more often, but cowashing does not work for me. TBH I dont know how it works for the rest of ya'll either, lol. (non-relaxed heads anyway). I have to detangle. EVERY SINGLE TIME my hair gets wet. If I want to avoid a long detangling session, I can braid it up before i cw, but that takes pretty long and tbqh I don't have time for all that. Detangling every 2-3 days is time consuming, and I lose progress. I can only do that if I have twists or pixie's in, and I don't do those too often anymore. Maybe if my hair was straighter and easier to detangle I'd do so but for now? bump that mess xD I'll deal with smelling good through lotions.

I have my eye out on Aquolina Pink sugar hair perfume for when I want my hair to smell really good though:lick:

Eritreladiee

I thought this was common knowledge-- people like pleasant smells, freshly washed things. Tbh, I'm shocked at the amount of black women who don't at least co wash or rinse their hair after a workout :ohwell:

And I've sat next to many black women on the subway whose hair smelled bad-- whether it was from their hair being dirty, nasty smelling growth products, hair grease, petrolatum, whatever. I just know that it's usually that same funky smell I'm hit with when I enter any BBS store.

~NanCeBoTwin~

My husband and I both love the smell of my freshly cowashed hair. He is constantly smelling my hair, KC Humecto smell is his favorite, next to the HV Vatika Frosting.

I used Silicon Mix for the first time as a DC a couple of weeks ago, and because I'd done my hair he instantly came in for a smell. I tried to stop him, but I didn't warn him in time, he turned up his nose and told me I smell like an old YT woman with some stanky perfume. If you've smelled SM you know what he's talking about.

Victorian

old head
Reading this thread made me go ahead and get started with my pre-poo early today :lol: Can't wait until I'm deep conditioning with my Oscar Blandi masque. It smells really good and it has staying power. Even though I put on several products, blow dry, and flat iron after my dc, I can still smell the Oscar Blandi treatment the strongest for the rest of the week :lick:

I can't stand being on the El next to someone who doesn't smell right...:nono:

NikkiGirl

I would have to agree. I co-wash frequently and my husband loves smelling my hair and he will walk up behind me in the kitchen or anywhere and wrap his arms around me and smell my hair. He says its a turn on. That's good with me.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Its true. I think all men love the smell of freshly washed hair. HE totally twisted cowashing has anyone around me like :lick:

LivingDol1

as i sit here DCing....

i guess i'm not surprised? i used to wear braids a lot and would put a nice smelling oil on my scalp. my ex boyfriend used to always comment on loving the way i smelled. but since i wore braids, i clearly didn't wash my braids as often as one would wash their hair...

now i'm without braids and i wash my hair once every 3-5 days if it's straight.... wash it once every 2 days if it's in an air dried bun... it's always clean! of course i'm not dating anyone now nor have i ever with straight hair so i wouldn't know the impact... :\

Ashleescheveux

You know what, Im going to go shampoo and condition my hair with V05 moisture milks. I want to be smelling like berries all day.

Also HE LTR is heaven scent (pun intended).

Last edited:

MsKibibi

LOL I never realized how much men paid attention to hair smell either until a couple weeks ago I was talking to an old friend I hadn't heard from in years. He mentioned that he always remembered me with good smelling hair in high school (that was over 10 years ago). Personally, I don't like fragrant hair products, but I'm sensitive to scents and get overwhelmed by them.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
hmm. i've read many times on this board that VS So Sexy or whatever its called smells so good. but when i went to the store and smelled it, it didn't smell all that great. maybe its one of those things that isn't 'wow' until you use it. ♥

Last edited:

Geminigirl

Omg Vain Jane we are >< with that VS. I was expecting some kind of strong yet pleasant smell and was disappointed. Does So sexy smell different in your hair or something. Which So sexy is everyone using exactly I smelled a few but I figured most were using the one for dry damaged hair.

I've been hooked to co-washing the last 3 months....Well my brother told me he loved that and wish his wife would start it as well ( my sister in-law is black)....
Then he goes on to say that is the one thing other women in other races have over black women...My first reaction was to get upset....He goes on to say black women hair doesn't stink or anything ...it just doesn't have that fresh clean shampooed smell...
He went on to say that is a weak spot for most men.....he said he'll be in a grocery store and a women walks by and her hair smells good .....she got his attention....He said it's something about that fresh shampooed smell
Why does my husband feel the same way.....

What do you guys think??????????

Hahaha, I think... when I wash my hair it smells fantastic. I don't always flat iron it with products. He's generalizing, and that's a no no.

UGQueen

its true, i agree with your brother.
i hate when i reach in to hug a friend and it smells like burn hair, relaxer and every thing else its not supposed to smell like.
I love the smell of freshlyt washed hair, thats why i was my hair frequently.
even when i wear my weave ill jus wash the weave once a week so keep it smelling fresh!

MrsIQ

This is so true! I just recently had a complete stranger tell me that my hair smelled so good. I love the way clean hair smells! I work with a black female that does not wash her own hair, but waits until she gets it done every 6 weeks.

Britt

This is very true... men, hell, anyone loves the smell of fresh clean hair.

Ideally, I'd love to wash my hair more often for the most part, I will wash it 2x a week. The problem for me is the maintainence/drying of it. For example, I went to the hairdresser yesterday and got a wash and set. Tmrw I have a step class at the gym and my scalp really sweats from the workout in this class. Usually, after this class I can't help but come home and wash my hair quickly, but then I have to lightly blowdry it and pull it back in a ponytail. Co-washing is just not conducive to my wearing straight hair :nono: . How are yall doing it? I will prob go to the gym again on Wed and will have the urge to wash my hair when I get home, what other options can I do w/ my relaxed hair so that it is mostly dry by the morning and looks decent?

exoticmommie

This is very true... men, hell, anyone loves the smell of fresh clean hair.

Ideally, I'd love to wash my hair more often for the most part, I will wash it 2x a week. The problem for me is the maintainence/drying of it. For example, I went to the hairdresser yesterday and got a wash and set. Tmrw I have a step class at the gym and my scalp really sweats from the workout in this class. Usually, after this class I can't help but come home and wash my hair quickly, but then I have to lightly blowdry it and pull it back in a ponytail. Co-washing is just not conducive to my wearing straight hair :nono: . How are yall doing it? I will prob go to the gym again on Wed and will have the urge to wash my hair when I get home, what other options can I do w/ my relaxed hair so that it is mostly dry by the morning and looks decent?

I am the braid out and caruso steam roller queen. That's what I do. I put the caruso in, do my make up, and then take them down when done. Airdried the night before with scarf method. Braid out is done the night before on 90% dry hair.

CocoGlow

Sadly he has a point! The majority of black women I know are not member of hair forums and walk around w/ stinky weaves, braids, wigs or if they do wear their own hair it's usually smothered in products for weeks maybe months at a time. I've hugged so many friends and had to literally stop myself from cringing at times!

Nowadays I can't imagine going a month without washing my hair like so many black women but that was ME years ago :nono: I wore braid extensions for months at a time and did not wash until I took them out only to put them back in again for more months ... My scalp was ALWAYS itchy - I would "soothe" it w/ some hair grease, but that would not last long at all... I had no clue ... even though I didn't wash frequently I don't recall a stinky scalp and no one ever said anything - maybe that's b/c I naturally don't sweat that much at all

I remember envying my good friend in college who washed her hair everyday in the shower and always smelled sooo good from just the shampoo & conditioner alone .. I think she used Pantene ... she was Puerto Rican w/ wavy/straight hair down her back and I always admired her yummy smelling hair - never once thinking that could be me :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chevelure618

True. It's good that he had the guts to say it. I've thought the same thing when black women get in my chair (I'm a dentist) and the head-rest cover is covered with grease or curl-activator and their hair looks so gunky. It would be one thing if the hair was gunky and clean, but gunky and not washed for 2 or 3 weeks is icky. No, it doesn't stink, but what guy would want to run his hands through that.

Mz.MoMo5235

Sadly he has a point! The majority of black women I know are not member of hair forums and walk around w/ stinky weaves, braids, wigs or if they do wear their own hair it's usually smothered in products for weeks maybe months at a time. I've hugged so many friends and had to literally stop myself from cringing at times!

Nowadays I can't imagine going a month without washing my hair like so many black women but that was ME years ago :nono: I wore braid extensions for months at a time and did not wash until I took them out only to put them back in again for more months ... My scalp was ALWAYS itchy - I would "soothe" it w/ some hair grease, but that would not last long at all... I had no clue ... even though I didn't wash frequently I don't recall a stinky scalp and no one ever said anything - maybe that's b/c I naturally don't sweat that much at all

I remember envying my good friend in college who washed her hair everyday in the shower and always smelled sooo good from just the shampoo & conditioner alone .. I think she used Pantene ... she was Puerto Rican w/ wavy/straight hair down her back and I always admired her yummy smelling hair - never once thinking that could be me :rolleyes:

and see, that's exactly where its at. its not that their hair is stinky... it just doesnt smell the way frequently washed hair does.

like when i wash, i wash or co-wash my hair 1x per week. come the 7th day, my hair still has a strong smell of the conditioner i used the week before.

but once you start hitting 3+ wks with out washing/co-washing your hair AND adding product on top of product on top of it. you get a different scent. now that person smells like hair grease, flat iron, relaxer, jheri juice... what ever product they're using, its 3+ wks worth and its a very distinct "black girl" smell.

i remember in high school that's how our heads was supposed to smell. me and all my friends smelled the exact same way except for i had a very strong pink oil scent following me around :lachen:

like a dork i thought white girls hair smelled good was because they had to wash their hair every day or they would smell like a wet dog :look: i know, ignorant, but i really believed this. i thought that since black folk dont stink, we could get away with washing our hair once a month.

i cant go any more than 8-9 days with out washing and even then i have been sick on wash day or something cause i prefer to go every 3-7days.

chasturner84

I agree with him too. One of my good friends washes her hair every 2 weeks, and sometimes I'll catch a wiff of that not so clean smelling scalp :ohwell:...and maybe even see her scratch her scalp and flick the dirt from under her nail!!! :nono:

I wash twice a week, and I'm sticking with it!

My cousin has MBL hair and does the same thing: She washes her hair every 2 weeks. She also works out 3-4 times a week and her hair smells awful! She'll scratch her scalp and smell her nails and then complain about the smell. WASH YOUR HAIR CRAZY! :ohwell: My brothers and SO always compliment me on how good my hair smells because I co wash every other day. I can't stand a stinky head of hair. :perplexed

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I just started co-wash 2-3 times a week, and I love having fresh, clean, nice smelling hair. It has also force me to switch up my styling routine as well. I also grew up scared to get my fresh press n curl /relaxed n flat-ironed hair wet, and would only wash every two weeks....

NIN4eva

Ever since I started using Silicon Mix and Roux PC I must have the silky smooth freshness at least every 3 days. I needs it I needs it! I don't even care how straight my hair is. I'd rather have the soft freshness. :)

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

my home girl demanded that i add this lol

i was on the phone with her while i was typing my response a little earlier. since i cant type and listen at the same time lol i wasnt paying attention to my friend which prompted her to ask what i was doing. i told her about this thread which she fully agrees with op's brother on. but she had to add

"hey mo, maybe that's why you tend to date a lot of black dudes that usually date white girls. i always thought it was weird but maybe they dont have a thing for white girls, maybe they have a thing for aussie moist!!!" lmao sorry, my friend is retarded and she wouldnt shut up unless i promised to post this on her behalf :lol:

*CherryPie*

Mz.MoMo,

Your friend has made a good point. Makes sense to me. :lachen:

my home girl demanded that i add this lol

i was on the phone with her while i was typing my response a little earlier. since i cant type and listen at the same time lol i wasnt paying attention to my friend which prompted her to ask what i was doing. i told her about this thread which she fully agrees with op's brother on. but she had to add

"hey mo, maybe that's why you tend to date a lot of black dudes that usually date white girls. i always thought it was weird but maybe they dont have a thing for white girls, maybe they have a thing for aussie moist!!!" lmao sorry, my friend is retarded and she wouldnt shut up unless i promised to post this on her behalf :lol:

*CherryPie*

Hey, sometimes that's how you gotta do it. :lachen:But squirting random chicks is funny!:lachen:

All in all, I still think she's a wise woman. LOL

oh god! dont support her craziness! it will just encourage her!:lachen: she'll be at the club with HE squirting random chicks yelling "i'm just tryin to get you a man!" :lachen::lachen::lachen: