My Brother Said.....(Don't Get Mad)

Traycee

I've been hooked to co-washing the last 3 months....Well my brother told me he loved that and wish his wife would start it as well ( my sister in-law is black)....
Then he goes on to say that is the one thing other women in other races have over black women...My first reaction was to get upset....He goes on to say black women hair doesn't stink or anything ...it just doesn't have that fresh clean shampooed smell...
He went on to say that is a weak spot for most men.....he said he'll be in a grocery store and a women walks by and her hair smells good .....she got his attention....He said it's something about that fresh shampooed smell
Why does my husband feel the same way.....

What do you guys think??????????

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
My husband's nose is always in my hair telling me how I smell like coconuts and berries :lick: :rolleyes:

It~Can~Grow

He's right and I aint even a man :nono:

Smells in general rub me the right or wrong way. It's something about a place or person void of any smell that doesn't sit well with me. I realize A LOT of folks are allergic to perfumes and that's understood, but it does something for DH when I smell like berries, cucumber, peaches and whatever else Bath & Body Works can dream up.

The hair is no exception. That was one of my first comments...I said something to the affect that I was jealous that other races could wash their hair daily. When I got onto the elevator with them I could smell the freshness of something fruity.

My hair still doesn't smell as fresh because I don't co wash daily and I use oils and what-nots that detract from the fresh smell, but I make up for with body butters/lotions or whatever.

Never underestimate the power of (good) food and (good) smells on a man :grin:

Last edited:

LunadeMiel

My SO loves the smell of freshly washed hair and body. I have a very strong sense of smell so if someone doens't smell right I can't even talk to you.

I actually remember my exs by their smells....:look:

tthreat08

This is so true. My DH ALWAYS comments on how good my hair smells. I really have to agree as well. I have always washed my hair a minimum of every 2-3 days for that reason. I hate to smell a whiff of hair (you know that smell) and not smell freshness. Conditioner washing makes it smell even better with all the lovely fruity flavors of suave, etc. My scalp actually hurts if I go longer than a couple days without a wash.

drasgrl

I ain't mad at him. It's true that the majority of black women wash their hair less often than other races.

Cinda2503

I agree totally! Although, I don't co-wash anymore I spray my hair with whatever perfume I'm wearing that day. I always get compliments.

My SO loves the smell of freshly washed hair and body. I have a very strong sense of smell so if someone doens't smell right I can't even talk to you.

I actually remember my exs by their smells....:look:

:lachen:Yes, YES! I thought I was the only one that remembered my past fellas like that. ITA that I love the smell of fresh hair. Before I was into hair care I use to febreeze my wigs! :yep:

Christa438

Im a woman and I luv the smell of freshed washed hair with shampoo/conditioner. One of my best friends (hispanic) used Herbal Essences line daily and I always thought her hair smelled nice when we went out. I like co-washing too.

Im not mad. Black women do wash their hair less often than other race women. A woman (that I confided in about washing my hair daily with conditioner and with shampoo weekly) told me that I was black so Im not supposed to or I can't wash my hair like that. I had to tell her that regardless of race, hair is hair and it has to be taken care of. The convo went on and I told her that if she don't want to wet her hair with water and conditioner daily or wash her hair twice a week because of her perm then that's fine, but it is still a option for some and it will benefit them before it ever hurts them. I also saw her real hair later and it was so dry lookin and really loaded with dandruff.

Last edited:

Naturallong81

I like how freshly washed hair smells to and i do notice it. It makes the person smell like they just got out the shower. i couldn't was my hair everday its just not possible.

dlewis

My husband loves putting his face in my hair to smell it. Smells like ghee now, so he's not doing to much smelling.

Cleve_gryl

I agree with him too. One of my good friends washes her hair every 2 weeks, and sometimes I'll catch a wiff of that not so clean smelling scalp :ohwell:...and maybe even see her scratch her scalp and flick the dirt from under her nail!!! :nono:

I wash twice a week, and I'm sticking with it!

Lavendar

So true. My DH loves to kiss in my head now (i'm trying to get used to it, but sometimes I still smack him in the forehead).:look: I don't know how I ever lived without washing at least twice a week. Really it's not black women's fault, most of us were brought up to believe we would ruin our hair if we washed too often, and for some that could have been more than once a month. Those lessons are what brought us here in the first place.:yep:

JustKiya

*nod* Yup, yup... Thats' one of my tiebreakers when it comes to buying products - or deciding what will go in a recipe - how good it smells. DH likes me to smell good (and thank the HEAVENS he likes the smell of ayurvedic herbs.... :lol:)

angenoir

Clean hair smells so good...

I just moved to a Paris and during rush hour when the metro is really really packed people are really standing close to each other. If your hair is smelling bad :nono::nono::nono:. I am glad I got into the habit of frequent washing.

When there is a head of weave or braids or hair that is not smelling right... its really bad. And that's an understatement.:perplexed

Traycee

I do agree that men love smells.....I just didn't like being compared to the white women my brother used to date...Men do love freshly shampooed hair...SO SEXY is dangerous around my DH.....

One thing I have enjoyed ....Since I started Co-washing in the shower my husband likes to now sneek in the shower and join me :blush:

Lady Esquire

Can't get mad at that. It is very true that there are many black women who believe that washing will wash out the perm. Some won't wash until its time for a relaxer!

DH loves my freshly washed hair.

Last edited:

PinkPeony

Yes men love to smell.
Dh always comments on my freshly washed hair,he really likes the smell of SM in my hair:yep:

zzirvingj

This guy I used to go out with was around me one time I had gotten my hair pressed.

Guy says to me: "Oh wow, you got your hair done. Did they use a pressing comb to get it straight like that?"

I say to guy: "Yes, the stylist used a straight comb initially to get it straight after blow drying it."

Guy says to me: "That's what I thought, cuz your hair has that burnt smell like my sister's hair used to have when she used to get it pressed all the time when she was little."

Me: :perplexed:sad:

Lavendar

I do agree that men love smells.....I just didn't like being compared to the white women my brother used to date...Men do love freshly shampooed hair...SO SEXY is dangerous around my DH.....

One thing I have enjoyed ....Since I started Co-washing in the shower my husband likes to now sneek in the shower and join me :blush:

Ohhh...I missed that first part. I gotcha. I wish So Sexy didn't have cones...I really like smell. DH loves to wash my hair too.:yep:

It~Can~Grow

:hide: + :bath2:=:heart2:

MissMusic

I have to agree but that is because I am really into smells.

Prime example: The other day in the grocery store I followed the path of this guy who smelled heavenly, even though he definitely didn't go down the isle's I needed, lol! I wasn't interested in him at all, but he just smelled so wonderful that I decided to tail him sight unseen for a bit. Yes I know its wierd, but I am not the most normal of people. :rolleyes:

It~Can~Grow

Lawd knows I don't need another conditioner, but why did this make me call VS to see if they had in stock and find out they are 3/$21 ...off to VS to make it happen :blush:

ttlayli

I do agree that I also love the smell of my freshly washed hair :yep:....but I feel like I can only do it if I'm wearing my hair natural. :sad: How do you ladies cowash all the time if your wearing it straight (flatironing)?? It doesnt make your hair break off???

Traycee

I do agree that I also love the smell of my freshly washed hair :yep:....but I feel like I can only do it if I'm wearing my hair natural. :sad: How do you ladies cowash all the time if your wearing it straight (flatironing)?? It doesnt make your hair break off???

When I wear it straight ........I roller set with extra large rollers ....