More newbie questions...what do you mean when you say to moisturize and seal?

Ivypearl08

So I keep hearing everyone say to make sure you "moisturize and seal" the hair but I just wanted to know if I'm understanding this thing correctly. When you say moisturize the hair, are you referring to a type of deep conditioning? And then when you say to seal the hair do you mean to apply a certain type of oil afterwards?

Also, what are some examples of products that you would moisture and seal the hair with?

Thanks in advance hair pros!

Ivypearl08

Thank You...I'll have to check out the video once I get off work...unfortunately youtube is banned here where I am...

Missi

Not quite: to moisturize is to use a moisturizing product on your hair and seal using an oil. This is called a baggie sometimes when used w/ a plastic bag or cap over your head. I'll use UBH Moisturize Lotion & seal w/ Castor oil and cover w/ sandwhich bag over my pony tail or for a full head: i'll use shea butter & seal w/ coconut oil & cover w/ a plastic shower cap. HTH

LushLox

Oh okay. Well the video basically shows a lady moisturising her hair in sections. She's using a light moisturiser, Wave Nouveau and then follows it up by applying castor oil to her ends to ensure the moisture is "sealed" in.

You can use various types of oil to seal, jojoba, coconut, vitamin e etc. Whatever makes your hair feel good!

mlj

To moisturize is to take a moisturizing agent like a daily leave in and lightly put on hair followed by an oil ( like coconut, castor, jojo) to seal it in. You use moisture before the oil, because the oil will not let the moisture penatrate to the hair.

Some use water, conditiners, leave ins and then seal with a types of oils.

I M&S twice a day. I moisturize with Suave and using a light oil during the day and castor oil at night, since it heavier.

My hair has really flourish since I started M&S

HTH

countrychickd

There are many types of products designed specifically to moisturize the hair. You'd really have to find what works best for your hair. When moisturizing, you'll want to take your moisturizer and apply to your hair in sections so as to moisturize all of your hair, making sure to focus on your ends because the ends are older and have been through more. Then you'll use an oil (coconut, castor, jojoba, avocado, etc.) to "seal" in the moisture. Be sure not to use the oil first. Generally speaking, most oils have molecules that are too large to actually penetrate the hair. If you apply the oil first, you'll be blocking the moisture from the hair. So, you'll want to always apply your moisturizer first, and then "seal". HTH!