Miconazole Nitrate (MN) Challenge (May 1 - July 31, 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
@ZebraPrintLover, I think I get the tingling effcet because I added essential oils to my mix. I dont have my journal here but I think I added Lavender, Peppermint and Teatree essential oil (EO) to my mix. So that could be causing the tingles. I know I get the tingles when I add them to my DC.

The other thing I noticed with my mix is itching. I start itching within 10-15 minutes of applying it and it doesnt stop for a while sometimes till the next morning.

I'm trying to figure out the reason for the itches but I havent nailed it down yet. I will be eliminating the EO's from my next mix because that is the only new thing I have not left on my hair. I typically wash out EO's with my DC. Maybe I used too much of the EO's :ohwell:

Anyway, I am 2 weeks post and I have not noticed any new growth yet. Normally my new growth doesn't start coming in until 6 weeks post.

mamaore, I believe they said the itches come from growth trying to come in.

Here is my 2 week check-in. I started the MN Challenge a few days before May 1st. I used the following mixture just on my temples because I was afraid for some reason :lol:

1 tube of MN (Giant Brand)
1 jar of B&B Super Grow (Blue & White jar)
2 or so tablespoons of Doo Gro Moisturizing Growth Oil
2 or so tablespoons of the Jamaican Black Castor Oil (just added on 5/13/12)

I started using on my entire head this past Sunday (5/13/12) Mother's Day after my fresh, self relaxer. My head is itching like crazy! I will post my next set of pics on the 29th,

Check my photos out.

Veeda, how big is that jar?

braidqueen

Hello all, please see my update pics below I'm happy about the results tell me what you think.

These pics where taken 2 weeks before this challenge started which is when I first started using MN. So the result are based on a 4 week period.
IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1742.jpg

This pics were taken last night after I got my braids redone. Notice I have hair at the base of each braid unlike before and that nice shiny bald spot at my temple is GONE.
IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1760.jpg

During this period I used MN mixed with African pride hair grease just cause I liked the smell of it and this was just 1%. I was using it 3 times a week. Yesterday I bought 2% and a jar of African castor oil with mink oil and mixed them this morning. I will now be applying once every day.

kinky curlygenie

ZebraPrintLover said:
kinky curlygenie, Cream. Just because I had a little bottle at home already.
Hmmmm, I am wondering could I spray the contents of the spray into my bottle and use it that way :look:.

My cream is mixed and I know I dont wanna have to do steps.....
I already spray my hair with spritz then apply MN to my scalp in btwn my braids and thats it.

Yea I would try it but when I tried to it just went everywhere the spray that is lol - I know what u mean when u just wanna slap it on lol

nakialovesshoes

I've been on the road (trucker) so I couldn't check in but yesterday was day 5 of applying my mix. I'm on a roll. 25 more applications to make this a habit!

Mane Event

My focus is on the scalp...I'm in cornrows underneath in a half wig. I'm totally with you on the drying affect. I pose the question b/c 2% MN is 2% MN, right? (regardless if it's in a spray bottle or tube).

I'm no chemist and I realize there are "other" ingredients in each of these...Just curious if anyone else is using the spray and getting the same results???

Food for thought :look:

@Mane Event
@kinky curlygenie

Is the focus on your scalp or is that something you cant control? Just asking b/c I know ladies were saying stuff about the drying effect and wondered how that works.

Last edited:

jprayze

Hello all, please see my update pics below I'm happy about the results tell me what you think.

These pics where taken 2 weeks before this challenge started which is when I first started using MN. So the result are based on a 4 week period.
View attachment 149917
View attachment 149919

This pics were taken last night after I got my braids redone. Notice I have hair at the base of each braid unlike before and that nice shiny bald spot at my temple is GONE.
View attachment 149921
View attachment 149923

During this period I used MN mixed with African pride hair grease just cause I liked the smell of it and this was just 1%. I was using it 3 times a week. Yesterday I bought 2% and a jar of African castor oil with mink oil and mixed them this morning. I will now be applying once every day.

braidqueen This is wonderful!

tiffanyoneal

View attachment 149917
View attachment 149919

View attachment 149921
View attachment 149923

Yes I can defintely see the growth and it looks GOOD! Just make sure they dont braid it to tight again :)

NaiyaAi

Checking in. I haven't been nearly as consistent as I should be, and it shows... =( But I'm definitely getting back on track.

deedoswell

View attachment 149917
View attachment 149919

View attachment 149921
View attachment 149923

:clapping: great progress!

deedoswell

Just checking in. Applying my mix every other day. First do the back part of scalp skip a day then do the front half.

braidqueen

Thanks ladies. I had these results with 1% antifungal cream cause it was all I could find at the time. So I should see some really good results with my 2% mix.

tiffanyoneal
I made sure she wasn't braiding my edges to small or too tight. She noticed all the hair and kept asking me what I was using. I felt bad lying but her kids were there so it was kinda hard to break out a coochie cream discussion.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
4 out of 7 times for the week; 5/14-5/19

Yea I would try it but when I tried to it just went everywhere the spray that is lol - I know what u mean when u just wanna slap it on lol

kinky curlygenie, exactly! Now you got me scared to even spray it in the bozzle. Think imma stick with the cream LOL.

Thanks ladies. I had these results with 1% antifungal cream cause it was all I could find at the time. So I should see some really good results with my 2% mix.

@tiffanyoneal
I made sure she wasn't braiding my edges to small or too tight. She noticed all the hair and kept asking me what I was using. I felt bad lying but her kids were there so it was kinda hard to break out a coochie cream discussion.

braidqueen, send her article of it. You know ppl think we crazy over here, so that way you dont really have to do the explaining the article will LOL.

braidqueen

braidqueen, send her article of it. You know ppl think we crazy over here, so that way you dont really have to do the explaining the article will LOL.[/QUOTE]

I kinda like having a secret, except my BF is beginning to wonder and give me some looks. I think I'm gonna have to send him the article because his imagination can run WILD!

sheanu

Congratulations on your progress @braidqueen!!! Your braids look lovely.

Edited cuz I just read through above and my question was answered lol

Last edited:

sheanu

I just figured out what was causing the breakage: HENNA!!! My hair is splitting and breaking daily so the setback I'm dealing with is devastating considering I don't have much hair to begin with :nono:

Besides this I've gone back to just MN and water because that works better than with the oil & grease but it did tingle lol.

LightEyedMami

I must join this challenge, i simply MUST!!!!!! :drunk::drunk:....

What is your current length?
- APL (about 2 inches from BSL)

How long have you used in MN?
- I will buy tomorrow ( i used it for like a week over 2 yrs ago)

How will you use your MN (directly/mixed)?
-I plan to use it straight unless it gives me headaches :nono:

What frequency will you apply it?
-Daily

Any other growth aids that you are using?
MSM, Multi Vitamin

Anything else you care to add:
-I'm excited

Starting Pic: (Taken like a month ago, nothing has changed)

Attachments

• length chech april 2012.jpg
    length chech april 2012.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 36

jessicarabbit

checking in everyone! been using my mn mix consistently, wearing my wigs. these cornrows make it so much easier to apply my mix!

Mznelly

Checking in: I have been applying my mn religiously and I'm already noticing some hardcore new growth . I got a relaxer on the16th of April and was planning to stretch until July but by the way my hair is growing that's not going to happen.my cousin who was very skeptical when I suggested that we try the challenge together commented today "wow your hair is getting super long" this was while I was rocking a braid out which doesn't show a persons true length, I am so excited to get a blow out on the first to track my progress (I don't used heat in my regime except for an occasional Blow out)

My bald spots

Attachments

• image-2078192851.jpg
    image-2078192851.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

jprayze

Glad to hear everyone is being consistent and doing well! 2 more weeks to go before our official length check and progress reports!!!

jprayze

Good progress Mznelly!

Speaking of new growth, my hair is growing so fast, I can't keep it the right color! My roots stay dark... I thinking about doing a black rinse and calling it a day.

LightEyedMami

Just came back from dominicks, i paid $10 for the generic!:nono:...Looks like when this container is finished i will be ordering from amazon to buy in bulk as well!! ..

-side note: I'm sad because i took my hair measurements today and its the same as it was in march, i hoped it would at least be a 1/3 of an inch longer, so i am going to go hard core on MN and deep conditioning :yep:

mamaore

-side note: I'm sad because i took my hair measurements today and its the same as it was in march, i hoped it would at least be a 1/3 of an inch longer, so i am going to go hard core on MN and deep conditioning :yep:

Dont be sad, I'm sure your NG will appear soon.

Update: Still applying MN daily minus wash days. SOthats about 4 or 5 days a week depending on how frequently I wash my hair.

braidqueen

I just figured out what was causing the breakage: HENNA!!! My hair is splitting and breaking daily so the setback I'm dealing with is devastating considering I don't have much hair to begin with :nono:

Besides this I've gone back to just MN and water because that works better than with the oil & grease but it did tingle lol.

Try these products for repair before you go snip snip. Moisture is the key to prevent further breakage and the leave-in will help repair.

These are what I use daily after I fried off my crown with bleach.
IC deep penetrating moisturizing cream.jpg

IC leave-in.jpg

sheanu

Try these products for repair before you go snip snip. Moisture is the key to prevent further breakage and the leave-in will help repair.

These are what I use daily after I fried off my crown with bleach.
View attachment 150173

View attachment 150175

Thanks so much!
Believe it or not, dropping the oil & grease in my MN mix has helped my hair retain moisture. This is my final proof that my hair HATES oils (even the bhringraj&brahmi if it gets anywhere but the scalp lol). Combine that with the henna and :nono::nono::nono:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Checking in..... 5 out of 7 times for the week of 5/14-5/19

checking in everyone! been using my mn mix consistently, wearing my wigs. these cornrows make it so much easier to apply my mix!

lindsaywhat, who you telling because if I didnt have these cornrows I would not apply it all over my head.

Glad to hear everyone is being consistent and doing well! 2 more weeks to go before our official length check and progress reports!!!

jprayze, I already have it marked on my calendar :yep:.

we don't have to flat iron for length checks right? I'm so excited!!! :grin:

sheanu, if you stretch it in you initial picture I will say just stretch it again for the update. Do whatever you did for the 1st picture that way we can actually see the difference/progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.