MHM Hangout

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Today makes 2 months since i've been consciously hydrating my hair :) I've learned so much from you ladies in this thread and me and my napps, kinks and curls thank y'all. :yep:

I saw a friend I haven't seen in months and while we were waiting for our children we got on the topic of hair. She thinks I "trained" my hair to be curly and her mind won't move past the concept of my hair being trained. I decided not to share MHM with her. She ain't ready yet.:nono:

Smh, I can't with some of these people! Its like when stylist swear heat damaged hair is really heat trained hair. You can't tell them nuffin' either.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

discodumpling

So I have a very African trait of sleeping on things :) I make my best decisions after a good nights rest.

I've decided to offer MHM to my friends DD instead. Her DD7 still has baby soft baby fine hair...but her hair has not grown since I met this family 5 yrs ago. It's super thirsty and I know a little something abut that! They admire my braiding skills with my own DD and have been asking so I feel this is the time. Imma see her again this weekend (we made a family date) so i'll discuss and be sure to take pictures of the process.

Anywho it's almost time for my yrly length check! Going from the TTWA in my avvie to slappin' curls on my face while styling my wng. This growth mostly took place in the last 3 months!

Holla4mom

You are getting awesome results with your hair definition and retention. To clarify (no pun intended:) your hair was curly before you started MHM right, like a 3C, but you are getting even better definition and condition of your hair now, right?

And how exactly did your friend figure you "trained" your hair to be curly? I've never heard of that before, but if it was as easy as training it I'd think we'd all be doing it!
So I have a very African trait of sleeping on things :) I make my best decisions after a good nights rest.

I've decided to offer MHM to my friends DD instead. Her DD7 still has baby soft baby fine hair...but her hair has not grown since I met this family 5 yrs ago. It's super thirsty and I know a little something abut that! They admire my braiding skills with my own DD and have been asking so I feel this is the time. Imma see her again this weekend (we made a family date) so i'll discuss and be sure to take pictures of the process.

Anywho it's almost time for my yrly length check! Going from the TTWA in my avvie to slappin' curls on my face while styling my wng. This growth mostly took place in the last 3 months!

Last edited:

trebell

Can't post my pictures. Wanted to show my 2nd day results. I have white stuff all through my hair. Not sure if it's from the treatment or the product I used for my twist. image-3399064987.jpg

image-3962479925.jpg

Last edited:

trebell

Cute style. What ingredients were in your treatment and what did you use to style?

Thank you.

CLCT: guac, banana, molasses, bs, amino acids, yogurt, egg.
I did the full regimen and noticed I couldn't get the banana out of my head. So I did the full regimen and used the kinky curly leave in. And used them almond jai butter from Camilla rose.

faithVA

Thank you.

CLCT: guac, banana, molasses, bs, amino acids, yogurt, egg.
I did the full regimen and noticed I couldn't get the banana out of my head. So I did the full regimen and used the kinky curly leave in. And used them almond jai butter from Camilla rose.

Did you use guacamole or avocado? Just curious.

Let your banana ripen until it is almost completely black. If it isn't either cook it for about an hour on 300 or toss it in the microwave and let it cook down so it can turn into a sugar. A starchy, yellow banana doesn't blend as well.

It's possible that the kknt doesn't blend with the CR products. Try diluting your kknt if you haven't, to at least 50/50.

trebell

Did you use guacamole or avocado? Just curious. Let your banana ripen until it is almost completely black. If it isn't either cook it for about an hour on 300 or toss it in the microwave and let it cook down so it can turn into a sugar. A starchy, yellow banana doesn't blend as well. It's possible that the kknt doesn't blend with the CR products. Try diluting your kknt if you haven't, to at least 50/50.

Lol avocado. My kknt is basically water, I definitely need to get more. Thanks for your response.

discodumpling

You are getting awesome results with your hair definition and retention. To clarify (no pun intended:) your hair was curly before you started MHM right, like a 3C, but you are getting even better definition and condition of your hair now, right?

And how exactly did your friend figure you "trained" your hair to be curly? I've never heard of that before, but if it was as easy as training it I'd think we'd all be doing it!

Nope. I don't subscribe to the hair typing hierarchy system so i've never classified my hair as anything but nappy. Due to knowing the type of hair my parents have, I knew mine would be somewhere in between Mommy's kink and Daddy's curls. :look: ...I just didn't know how to achieve that before MHM.

The training thing is ignorance. Pure lack of knowledge.

GGsKin

I've been MIA lately, I'm just so down about my bipolar hair. One day its perfect and the next its so so, I'm so tired of thinking about ways to improve hydration. I'm getting extremely frustrated. I'm going to do the original method today but I most likely will omit step 4 and then back to the modified version.

I tried the approved Beautiful curls gel and its a no-go. I wanted to wash it out last night but convinced myself I can sleep with it until the morning. It'll be taking a trip back to WF.

I think you just need to give it time and consistency when it comes to the regimen, products and technique you are using. I know you say you've kept things relatively the same but you haven't been doing the method that long at all and you've tweaked a few things throughout.
Dee's modified regimen is water rinse, clay and gel. Water rinsing and applying gel (omitting the clay step) may be better for those that are not necessarily seeking definition. Take pics a lot, even if you don't post them, so you can record an accurate measure of your progress. I sometimes think I see no change, but when I go back through my pics, I can see the definition moving up through my strands. Try not to get discouraged and remember this is about a way of caring for your hair. Not just getting curls/ definition. It will come in time (at least that's what I tell myself).

Smiley79

I'm finally out of my Sew in. I missed my hair soooo much, lol. I did an ACV treatment with heat and DC overnight. My hair was so dry after I took it of the sew in, but getting back on track with the MHM helped my hair feel alive again. I'll be doing some sort of moisture treatment (cowashing, etc) every other day for the next week just to get my hair back on track to being hydrated.

The bad news is that for my protective style I experimented with a sew in closure for the first tme...I shouldn't have done it. smh. The install was not tight at all, however it was still too much tension for my edges and I notice my edges look shot...the progress I was making when following the MHM back tracked so my edges are back to a weak and somewhat damaged looking state. My hair grew so much which I love, but I have to nurse my edges back to life. So no more sew-in closures for me unless it's on a wig that I can pop on and off real quick. I do plan to do a sew in again, but I will leave out my edges completely and nurse them like I did in the past.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I think you just need to give it time and consistency when it comes to the regimen, products and technique you are using. I know you say you've kept things relatively the same but you haven't been doing the method that long at all and you've tweaked a few things throughout.
Dee's modified regimen is water rinse, clay and gel. Water rinsing and applying gel (omitting the clay step) may be better for those that are not necessarily seeking definition. Take pics a lot, even if you don't post them, so you can record an accurate measure of your progress. I sometimes think I see no change, but when I go back through my pics, I can see the definition moving up through my strands. Try not to get discouraged and remember this is about a way of caring for your hair. Not just getting curls/ definition. It will come in time (at least that's what I tell myself).

Thanks for this AbsyBlvd. I know it feels like I've been doing it much longer than I actually have. I had been consistent the entire month on February with the original method and into March when I had the setback. Only then did I change things and started Dubai's modified version so I haven't changed my regimen that often. I don't have but a one inch of hair so my thought is that it shouldn't take that long, Lol. Yes, my hair is in much better condition than when I began my natural hair journey on 12/19/2014, my aggravation is when my hair starts looking great and then what seems like for no reason at all the progress reverses.

I water rinse daily because 2nd day hair doesn't look so great and do the 3-step every two days, I'll see how my hair responds doing it every third day. Three months is a long time to be thinking about and reading on regimens daily in hopes of finally finding one that works long term.

Holla4mom

Someone may have already mentioned this, but Dubaidee did a review on the Sodium Bentonite and she loves it even more than the Rhassoul. I just checked out the brand she recommended on Amazon and it's $11 for 1 lb, versus the $8.50 I'm spending on Calcium Bentonite on the ground. I am thinking of ordering enough to get free shipping and then I'll be stocked up, but we'll see. I so love being able to get a product on the ground.

My hair is responding well to the modified MHM but I only have the Calcium bentonite so I have been adding honey, milk, olive oil, acv and even banana baby food sometimes because I am afraid it is going to dry out my hair while I am testing out the regimen. I also found I needed a "leave-in" so I use Dubaidee idea of water with a little honey/ olive oil/ and essential oils and I spray this after the rinsing out the clay. Since I am wigging it, I cover with a plastic cap and skip the gel step sometimes.

Last edited:

Holla4mom

Also, keep in mind, that for most people it takes 5-8 months or longer to get full root to tip hydration/ definition and the roots (i.e. newest growth) are the last parts of the hair to define. Because you are cutting off your ends and keeping your hair short, your hair is always the root, or newest growth and so it could take the full months to define. For instance, I had good coils in the back when I posted my original pictures. Since then, I shaped my hair on a whim by cutting off the colored ends, especially in the back. A lot of the definition I had there is now gone, because the roots were the puffiest but if I stay consistent it will start defining a little on the ends and then work its way up.

I think it's hard when you're wearing your hair short, and in a wash and go every day because it feels your full texture is on display and if you are not happy with it right now, it can feel like a bad hair day. I know this process is easier for me because I am wearing a wig right now and others here are doing other styles, and not just wash and go's exclusively.

Have you ever considered rocking a wig and enjoying that experimentation while giving your hair time to grow out a little and obtain maximum hydration? I know wigs are not for everyone! Just a thought.

Thanks for this @AbsyBlvd. I know it feels like I've been doing it much longer than I actually have. I had been consistent the entire month on February with the original method and into March when I had the setback. Only then did I change things and started Dubai's modified version so I haven't changed my regimen that often. I don't have but a one inch of hair so my thought is that it shouldn't take that long, Lol. Yes, my hair is in much better condition than when I began my natural hair journey on 12/19/2014, my aggravation is when my hair starts looking great and then what seems like for no reason at all the progress reverses.

I water rinse daily because 2nd day hair doesn't look so great and do the 3-step every two days, I'll see how my hair responds doing it every third day. Three months is a long time to be thinking about and reading on regimens daily in hopes of finally finding one that works long term.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Also, keep in mind, that for most people it takes 5-8 months or longer to get full root to tip hydration/ definition and the roots (i.e. newest growth) are the last parts of the hair to define. Because you are cutting off your ends and keeping your hair short, your hair is always the root, or newest growth and so it could take the full months to define. For instance, I had good coils in the back when I posted my original pictures. Since then, I shaped my hair on a whim by cutting off the colored ends, especially in the back. A lot of the definition I had there is now gone, because the roots were the puffiest but if I stay consistent it will start defining a little on the ends and then work its way up.

I think it's hard when you're wearing your hair short, and in a wash and go every day because it feels your full texture is on display and if you are not happy with it right now, it can feel like a bad hair day. I know this process is easier for me because I am wearing a wig right now and others here are doing other styles, and not just wash and go's exclusively.

Have you ever considered rocking a wig and enjoying that experimentation while giving your hair time to grow out a little and obtain maximum hydration? I know wigs are not for everyone! Just a thought.

TWAs explanation makes complete sense to me, thank you! I think I'm ready to grow my hair out but I'm afraid of having dry and frizzy long hair, I need to refrain from cutting. As for a wig, I've tried it and wigs always look like a bad wig on me so I go without them.

I'll just have to be patient and let my hair do what it'll do with proper care and hydrating. One thing I noticed while water rinsing this morning is that my hair is starting to lay semi flat while its under running water, its super soft but just looks coily on top while the back and sides are kinky straight. Using kccc really helps a lot...

Someone suggested before that my hair could be growing and causing my hair to appear like its losing definition, this could be th case too so I'm just gonna roll with it.

I think my issue I'm facing the world with a brand new natural TWA without a hat and I'm freaking out and so I need my hair to cooperate so I can be more confident.

faithVA

Someone may have already mentioned this, but Dubaidee did a review on the Sodium Bentonite and she loves it even more than the Rhassoul. I just checked out the brand she recommended on Amazon and it's $11 for 1 lb, versus the $8.50 I'm spending on Calcium Bentonite on the ground. I am thinking of ordering enough to get free shipping and then I'll be stocked up, but we'll see. I so love being able to get a product on the ground.

My hair is responding well to the modified MHM but I only have the Calcium bentonite so I have been adding honey, milk, olive oil, acv and even banana baby food sometimes because I am afraid it is going to dry out my hair while I am testing out the regimen. I also found I needed a "leave-in" so I use Dubaidee idea of water with a little honey/ olive oil/ and essential oils and I spray this after the rinsing out the clay. Since I am wigging it, I cover with a plastic cap and skip the gel step sometimes.

Just to add. DubaiDee already has a lot of definition. No one has used the Sodium Bentonite long enough to know how it works on those with less defined hair. For some of us the more moisturizing the product is the less definition we have. Just something to be aware of when considering new products.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Just to add. DubaiDee already has a lot of definition. No one has used the Sodium Bentonite long enough to know how it works on those with less defined hair. For some of us the more moisturizing the product is the less definition we have. Just something to be aware of when considering new products.

I have the calcium bentonite, which one are you using?

faithVA

I have the calcium bentonite, which one are you using?

I'm using rhassoul for now. I'm waiting for my calcium bentonite to come. When it comes I will be using a rhassoul/bentonite blend. Not sure what the blend will be yet until I have more calcium bentonite to play around with. I'm hoping to do 4 to 2, calcium bentonite to rhassoul but we shall see.

I have some of the sodium bentonite but I plan to use this primarily when I color or shampoo my hair to replace regular conditioners. I think all the clays have a place in my regimen but they need to be used at certain times for my hair and not interchangeably.

GGsKin

This Friday will be my second week of doing DubaiDee's modified regimen and in this short time my hair seems to be responding well. I can't say I've noticed more definition yet but that isn't why I switched.

After 6 months of being strict on the original regimen, my hair was looking dull and dry, so the modification resonated with me. As I type, I can see the reflection of of my hair on my phone sparkling back at me:grin:. One thing I will say is that I was probably leaving the clay on too long and all that diluted the conditioner was definitely building up.

I will keep at this until I encounter something that tells me I should switch it up. It means that my wash days are less relaxing as I'm not lounging around 'waiting'.

The watery clay has so much slip (at the mo I use a mix of more rhassoul than bentonite- either sodium or calcium, with just water, ACV, and milk). After the initial clay detangling session, it has been getting easier and easier. When I apply my gel, the clumps want to separate themselves. I would say, if you can bear it, really try to separate your strands with the clay in, at least once- I believe it really does help.

Pic: how I styled my hair yesterday.

Attachments

• 2015-03-24_13.27.19.jpg
    2015-03-24_13.27.19.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm using rhassoul for now. I'm waiting for my calcium bentonite to come. When it comes I will be using a rhassoul/bentonite blend. Not sure what the blend will be yet until I have more calcium bentonite to play around with. I'm hoping to do 4 to 2, calcium bentonite to rhassoul but we shall see.

I have some of the sodium bentonite but I plan to use this primarily when I color or shampoo my hair to replace regular conditioners. I think all the clays have a place in my regimen but they need to be used at certain times for my hair and not interchangeably.

Ok thanks...I'll wait and see how your hair responds to the mix, I can't deal with another setback.

faithVA

This Friday will be my second week of doing DubaiDee's modified regimen and in his short time my hair seems to be responding well. I can't say I've noticed more definition yet but that isn't why I switched.

After 6 months of being strict on the original regimen, my hair was looking dull and dry, so the modification resonated with me. As I type, I can see the reflection of of my hair on my phone sparkling back at me:grin:. One thing I will say is that I was probably leaving the clay on too long and all that diluted the conditioner was definitely building up.

I will keep at this until I encounter something that tells me I should switch it up. It means that my wash days are less relaxing as I'm not lounging around 'waiting'.

The watery clay has so much slip. After the initial clay detangling session, it has been getting easier and easier. When I apply my gel, the clumps want to separate themselves. I would say, if you can bear it, really try to separate your strands with the clay in, at least once- I believe it really does help.

I can definitely see the separation of your strands. Your hair is looking good. I think my hair is similar to yours. Just gray and not as long. We shall see.

Your eyebrows are looking good too.

Holla4mom

I saw your hair on the HOTD thread and your coils are so pretty! It has been worth the six months of effort you have put into this!
This Friday will be my second week of doing DubaiDee's modified regimen and in his short time my hair seems to be responding well. I can't say I've noticed more definition yet but that isn't why I switched.

The watery clay has so much slip. After the initial clay detangling session, it has been getting easier and easier. When I apply my gel, the clumps want to separate themselves. I would say, if you can bear it, really try to separate your strands with the clay in, at least once- I believe it really does help.

Holla4mom

That's a good point. I was waiting on feedback before ordering. I am having good results with the Calcium Bentonite and I don't feel that it is drying out my hair. I think I will stick with what's working and if I start noticing it getting dry then I'll look at possible changes.

I can see how more moisturizing products can decrease definition. After doing the modified for a few times, I had conditioned one time just to see what would happened and it actually "de" clumped my hair, and I lost some definition during that wash.

faithVA

That's a good point. I was waiting on feedback before ordering. I am having good results with the Calcium Bentonite and I don't feel that it is drying out my hair. I think I will stick with what's working and if I start noticing it getting dry then I'll look at possible changes.

I can see how more moisturizing products can decrease definition. After doing the modified for a few times, I had conditioned one time just to see what would happened and it actually "de" clumped my hair, and I lost some definition during that wash.

Yeah, that's what happens to my hair. The softer my hair, the less defined. I love, love, love my conditioners but I can't get any definition with them. I also love rhassoul but I think alone it is too moisturizing and the calcium bentonite is too drying. So I'm hoping a mix will work for me :lol:

If your hair is fine with the calcium bentonite, I agree you should stick with it until you feel you need to change up.

faithVA

I had good results with this color change shampoo a few weeks ago. But since then it doesn't seem to want to cover my grays :tantrum: Tonight I'm going to try washing with the mud puddle first, then use the color change shampoo and then finish with the sodium bentonite to offset the dryness of the color change shampoo. I'm hoping this works. I'm running out of ideas.

With the use of the bentonite I'm not expecting any coils but if I can get this color to take I will figure out the clay later.

trebell

Look. Off topic but this is interesting... Not sure about all the ingredients in coca cola. But people use anything on their hair.

image-1761878405.jpg

GGsKin

I bought some flax seeds aka linseeds today. I'm looking forward to making my own gel. I love kinky curly (I've only tried 2 gels though). It will be interesting to see how the flax seed gel compares. May have to pick up some okra to add to the mix...hmm we'll see.

If it works out, at least I won't feel the need to spend £20 a pop on KCCC. Last time I was at the hair shop I bought 3 large jars. Wait £60 on gel:shocked::shocked:..that can't be right:ohwell:. It's funny how I develop amnesia when it comes to how much I spend on my hair...and food....and shoes to be honest:lol: