MHM Hangout

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Are there any high porosity ladies doing the MHM? If so what are you using to alter the steps? I'm using ACV for step 1 and I'm also going to try conditioner with lemon juice recipe that I saw on mahogany curls channel. Are any of you ladies adding anything to your clay step? Are you sealing with a butter to lock in the moisture? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :grin:.

HopefulOne

Is it okay to use molasses in your clay step? I really like the way molasses makes my hair feel but I don't want to use it if it is counterproductive. Experts please let me know.

faithVA

Is it okay to use molasses in your clay step? I really like the way molasses makes my hair feel but I don't want to use it if it is counterproductive. Experts please let me know.

I have no idea. But if you try it let us know. I don't think trying it one time would hurt anything. Just do it on a day where you have time to rewash if you need to.

HopefulOne

I have done it and it makes my hair look and feel great. I just don't want to do the method incorrectly. If you as an expert think it is okay I will incorporate it into my routine.

faithVA

I have done it and it makes my hair look and feel great. I just don't want to do the method incorrectly. If you as an expert think it is okay I will incorporate it into my routine.

Um, I may be the queen of doing the method incorrectly so getting my blessing won't do you any good :lol:

I say go for it. You can always go back to honey later if you want.

hairtimes5

Anyone know whats going on with Hello Curly? She said she would have product after Thanksgiving, then said she would have product after christmas. Now her website is down and the facebook page is deleted. Whats up?

I'm wondering the same thing aharri23. Her new site, sweetsoulmagic.com, was supposed to launch today but it didn't. She's clearly going through a lot as a result of her divorce. I wish her the best but dang I wish I never started using this stuff because I'm hooked on it :perplexed

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I have no idea. But if you try it let us know. I don't think trying it one time would hurt anything. Just do it on a day where you have time to rewash if you need to.

I use it in my DC. Let me know how it works in the clay!:yep:

msbettyboop

Too busy for the full regimen today so I'm doing the protective princess regimen - clay, cowash & deep condition, seal with cream or oil without rinsing. Lord, I hope it turns out okay because I won't have time for my hair again till Tuesday next week.

msbettyboop

So I finished the protective princess method and here's my feedback:

Pros

• The hideous sticky film on my hair is gone.
  • It left my hair super soft. I used Jeisscurl deep moisturising (although I feel another conditioner is best suited for this modified method) and sweet almond oil to seal.
Cons

• Not much definition but probably because I haven't achieved max hydration yet.
  • A lot of frizz so I threw my hair into a bun.
I will do this again when I don't have much time inbetween the full method but I will use a different conditioner then. HTH someone. Happy New Year :).

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Does anyone have color? I do this method. But will be coloring my hair to a deep red this Friday. I'm think the first steps (acv or bs) will strip my color. Tia.

I'm wondering the same thing. I plan to use a demi permanent as soon as my henna grows or is cut out. I know using the MHM it'll strip my color. I'm not planning to color until most of my strands reach max hydration and I'm at least (fingers crossed) normal porosity.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm wondering the same thing. I plan to use a demi permanent as soon as my henna grows or is cut out. I know using the MHM it'll strip my color. I'm not planning to color until most of my strands reach max hydration and I'm at least (fingers crossed) normal porosity.

I haven't done the routine in 3 days and I keep forgetting to get more clay while I'm by WF. I am going today for more, I wish I could find another brand of Clay other than NOW to compare. I need to see if there really is a difference between the Red Clay which is said to be rhassoul and the clay that's advertised as rhassoul. I cannot not understand why it isn't sold on the ground...I'll probably order from butters n bars soon.

Guinan

Re-Branding

I have permanent and semi-permanent color in my hair and I haven't really noticed any unusual stripping of color; per se. Meaning, Prior to the MHM I colored my hair using a semi-perm every 8-12wks. Since doing the MHM I continue to follow the same color reggie.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Since I am off today from work, I decided to use my Sally's gift card that I got for Christmas. I finally purchased the Goddess Curls botanical gelle. I believe that the gelle is on the approved list. I cant wait to try it. It's a shame that my hair is straight; oh well. I still want to try the kinky curly custard. I also bought (from Target) a very large strainer for my homemade flaxseed gel.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I have permanent and semi-permanent color in my hair and I haven't really noticed any unusual stripping of color; per se. Meaning, Prior to the MHM I colored my hair using a semi-perm every 8-12wks. Since doing the MHM I continue to follow the same color reggie.

Very cool!

HopefulOne

I tried something new today. I didn't like the way that my hair looked on one side so I hopped in the shower and used my watered down conditioner and my aloe leave-in. My curls came out perfect. I don't need mhm for definition I use it to prevent SSKs and tangles. I am going to watch this and see if I can do a "condition and go" two days and the total regimen on the 3rd day. If I can keep the SSKs and tangles away, this would be perfect for me.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
The only thing I hate is how long it takes my hair to dry with this method. It is a small price to pay for the way my hair looks and feels. Also, the baking soda is more better to my hair than the ACV. I am grateful to the You Tube ladies who have shared their recipes! I am thinking I will be successful with clay recipes from now on!:yep:

snoop

I also posted on the Cherry Lola thread but I might get more responses here: is there a difference in doing the original Cherry Lola treatment or the Cherry Lola caramel treatment?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I finally have a chance to do my routine! I'm DC overnight just to make up for lost times, Lol! My TWA is about 2" stretched and today was the first time I picked my hair since BC on 12/19, I think because the MHM says to finger detangle. My Hercules Sagemann jumbo rake unraveled all those little tight coils, Lol.

msbettyboop

I also posted on the Cherry Lola thread but I might get more responses here: is there a difference in doing the original Cherry Lola treatment or the Cherry Lola caramel treatment?

I don't think it makes much of a difference. In any case, I do an hybrid of the two. I used everything except the avocado and overripe banana as I didn't have that on hand at the time and my hair turned out great.

Duchess007

I apologize if this has been mentioned in the thread, but how is the Cherry Lola treatment modified for hipo hair? Everyone talking about MHM on YouTube, Pinterest, and blogs seems to be low-porosity.

Smiley79

Well I finally took the plunge; I'm only on Day 2 so far and I am loving how my hair hangs (for the first time ever); I really liked the Cherry Lola treatment a lot!!!! (If I end up not liking the MHM, I will keep the Cherry Lola treatment and do it every 2 weeks)

After Day 2 of the MHM, I am noticing some clumping and more definition already.(I'm also getting a lot of compliments from people who are noticing a big difference with my hair) But a few areas of my hair do appear very straw-like, which i do not like. But we'll see.

I'm not sure that the conditioner step is moisturizing enough for me though...my hair still feels stripped and dry after the overnight conditioning (diluted Kinky Curly KT). So I'm gonna keep my eye on that and see what I need to adjust. I'm tempted to try using an Non-MHM approved conditioner (my Nexxuss Humectress or Shea Moisture JBCO DC) to see if it makes a difference but I'm not sure yet, I really wanted to follow the regimen to a T.

I'm aiming to do the MHM 7 days straight so I can really see the outcome. My favorite step of this whole method is the daily application of the Bentonite clay. I do get nervous wondering if 7 days of clay will be too much, but I'll see as I go along. Unfortunately, I cannot get my clay mix to be smooth, so that is a little frustrating.

My other issue is the white film that lingers on my hair for hours after my wash and go. I love the curl definition but hate the residue.

Clarify: Cherry Lola (Initial Day 1 only) ACV & Water; I want to try the Baking soda to compare
Conditioner: Trader Joe's TT; Kinky Curly KT; (they don't seem moisturizing enough)
Clay: Aztec Bentonite clay mixed with ACV, honey, olive oil and water
Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today diluted
Gel: Kinky Curly Custard

12/31/14 (Night) I did the Cherry lola treatment followed by Step 2 (conditioned overnight)
1/1/15 (Morning ) I did Step 3,4,5
1/1/15 (Night) I did Step 1&2 (conditioned overnight)
1/2/15 (Morning) I did my Steps 3-5

I would like to try to do all my steps in one day because this method is so time consuming; I do notice that it picks up speed as you get more into it...I'm going to do my Day 3 and Day 4 in one session on Sat and Sun.

After I complete my 7 days, I will come back with a complete post of what my regimen will be.

THank you so much faithVA for starting this thread and encouraging this method.

Picture is Day 2 Hair and you can see how the white film is still there after a couple of hours, lol.

Attachments

• GetAttachment (1).jpg
    GetAttachment (1).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

snoop

So the blog that hairtimes5 posted a link to has inspired me to try MHM using Cherry Lola this time. So right now I'm sitting with the CLCT in my hair.

I really should have listened to everyone who've done banana masks and used the baby food (especially since I bought it for it) and I used the whole banana instead. So now the boys have chunks of banana stuck in their hair. They've got more type 3 hair...so I'm assuming that it will be easy enough to comb out, but I dread to think what'll happen if I've got any in mine!:nono:

I also tried making a double batch so that I could freeze some and it totally fizzed right out of my blender making a mess everywhere! So, I managed to learn some lessons even before I had a chance to start.

I only did the CLCT and the conditioner steps on the boys' hair. I will admit that it didn't feel as soft as I'd expected it to, but their curls were back. I'll comb it out and add some oil to seal then try doing the clay wash tomorrow.

Will report back with the results from my hair later. I plan on doing the whole treatment on myself in today.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I apologize if this has been mentioned in the thread, but how is the Cherry Lola treatment modified for hipo hair? Everyone talking about MHM on YouTube, Pinterest, and blogs seems to be low-porosity.

Ladies correct me if I am wrong, but I couldnt find an alternative Lola treatment for hipo hair. I think porosity only "matters" when you clarify. I've never done the lola treatment; but that's my assumption from what I read off of pinkcube's website. Are you following the MHM or do you want to just try the lola treatment? If you are doing the MHM your suppose to do the CLT 1st (1st day only), then DC etc...

It doesnt hurt to try; I guess. I'm lo/med porosity and I still use ACV to clarify b/c my hair responds well to it.

See Below:
The Cherry Lola Caramel Treatment

Posted on August 14, 2014 by Pinke Cube
If you’re doing this method for the first time, I would suggest starting off with a Cherry Lola Caramel Treatment or regular Cherry Lola Treatment. This will be your step 1 in the 5 step regimen on the first day, instead of the clarifying options. The Cherry Lola version is a combination of the Caramel Treatment, and Cherry Lola.
ooo Cherry Lola Regimen ooo
This version of the regimen is done on only the FIRST day of the 7 Day Challenge.
Night
Step 1: Cherry Lola
Step 2: DC overnight
Day
Step 3.Clay
Step 4.Leave in
Step 5.Gel/oil(if doing set style)
It can be done as often as every two weeks, or every few months. It’s up to you. When you are doing this treatment, it will replace Step 1: Clarify. It is NOT in addition to that step.
Although I appreciate many people spreading the word about this regimen, it is important to come read it either on this website, or black hair media forum. Not everything you read about this regimen off other websites is going to be correct. My main concern is there seems to be an impression that the cherry lola treatment is done everyday for the first 7 days, or that the cherry lola must be done every 2 weeks, or worse– that the cherry lola is done first, and then right after you do the bakingsoda step. This is all incorrect. I urge you to double check on this website or msdeekay.com when it comes to the actual instructions, come here because the way you execute these steps is very important or you pay for it in your results.

Ingredients:
  • Greek yogurt (2 cups)
  • Baking soda (2 tbsp)
  • Organic apple cider vinegar (2 tbsp)
  • Raw coconut liquid aminos or liquid Soy aminos (2 tbsp)
  • Raw honey (1/2 tbsp)
  • Unsulfured molasses (1 tbsp)
  • Half an over ripe plantain or banana
  • Avocado (3/4 tbsp)
  • 1 egg (optional, but I used it no problem)
1. Blend the ingredients in your blender. This is important in preventing chunks getting stuck in your hair.
2. saturate your dry (but detangled) hair completely from root to tip with the mixture.
3. put a shower cap and let sit for 1.5-2 hours.
4. Rinse out completely with warm/hot water.
5. Green House Effect /deep condition overnight directly after rinsing out the treatment with botanical MHM approved conditioner.
6. Continue with the rest of the MHM regimen but skip step 1.
Never do an acv rinse directly after this. The point of temporarily opening the hair cuticle is so the moisture can get in, it makes no sense to just reclose it before actually putting the moisture in your hair.
Do the steps in the exact order, and do not skip any step, or it will not be as effective. Do not use any drying products.For the first week, these steps must be completed everyday. The DIY treatment is only done on day 1 of the 7 day challenge. After the 7 days are up, the DIY can be done as often as every 2 weeks, even only a few times a year.
Don’t be deterred from doing this treatment if you are protein sensitive. These are animal proteins so it isn’t going to have the kind of effect like if you did an aphogee treatment. The molecules are too big to absorb into your hair, and the aminos are too small. So this protein treatment is mild, and a better choice for low porosity hair. If you want to do a protein treatment with this regimen, make this DIY recipe your go to. Otherwise you can hinder your results. It is very easy for low porosity hair to get protein overload.
Do not do Step 1 clarify after this. This is in replacement of the first step, not in addition to it. If you read anywhere of anyone saying there are 6 or more steps, and they are not only talking about the optional stretching option, then that is incorrect information. Please come to this website or black hair media forum, or msdeekay.com to read when it comes to the actual instructions for the max hydration method.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
pelohello I don't think the treatment calls for low or hi porosity. From what I've read and from what faithVA says, everyone no matter your porosity can use both the ACV and BS together in the treatment with no illeffects. I'm going to do a CLCT this weekend but this time I'll use ACV in addition to the BS. I'm LoPo and my first treatment I omitted the ACV but was told I didn't have to. Like you, my hair previously responded well to ACV.

hairtimes5

Another thing I've noticed since doing MHM is that I can now refresh my wng's. Before, when I would spritz anything on my hair it would turn into a giant frizz ball. Now I can spritz my hair with my conditioner and water mix, though lightly, and my hair is just fine. Speaking of refreshers...Target was having a sale on Camille Rose products awhile back so I got the almond jai twist butter and the moisture milk. The prices were pretty low, $8 and some change for the butter and 6 and some change for the milk. I tried the milk on baby boy's hair and kinda liked it so I went back to get more and they were out. I went to the Target in the next neighborhood over and it was on sale but at different prices. The butter was $16 or $17 something and the milk $13 and some change. So I went back to my Target and got a rain check for more bottles at the $6 price tag. I was thinking yesterday morning that I need to find something else to do with all that product so I filled a spray bottle a third of the way with the moisture milk and the rest with distilled water. It makes for a nice refresher spray, left my hair nice and soft.

faithVA

pelohello I don't think the treatment calls for low or hi porosity. From what I've read and from what faithVA says, everyone no matter your porosity can use both the ACV and BS together in the treatment with no illeffects. I'm going to do a CLCT this weekend but this time I'll use ACV in addition to the BS. I'm LoPo and my first treatment I omitted the ACV but was told I didn't have to. Like you, my hair previously responded well to ACV.

Just a minor correction. Low porosity can do baking soda or acv for step 1 and they should use heat in some form if they use acv. I don't recommend high porosity ladies using baking soda at all. Normal porosity can go either way but if they use baking soda perhaps reduce the amount.

faithVA

I decided to give mhm another go versus putting in the flat twist extensions. I'm going to see if a flat twist and curl cuts down my styling time and makes every 3 day sessions more feasible. I did bs1 and now steaming with no product. I will put on the conditioner after this.

Duchess007

Thanks for the response, pelohello! That's actually the blog I've been reading! Also been looking at her YT channel, msdeekay2012. It seems like the amount of time this is left on the hair may vary based on porosity (i.e. those with super low porosity are leaving the CLCT on longer to get their cuticles to open) and I worry that my already porous hair would respond negatively. I do ACV rinses all the time; it's the baking soda that is freaking me out. :-/

I guess the only way to know for sure is to give it a try. I am looking into trying this method for six months, and the baking soda is my only hangup.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Just a minor correction. Low porosity can do baking soda or acv for step 1 and they should use heat in some form if they use acv. I don't recommend high porosity ladies using baking soda at all. Normal porosity can go either way but if they use baking soda perhaps reduce the amount.

Thanks faithVA for the correction.