MHM Hangout

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I will be trying to dilute the TJ TT conditioner. I am glad to have stumbled across the method. I am cured of being a PJ! LOL! I'm happy to say that I no longer had dandruff flakes since using the TJ TT shampoo and conditioner. My natural hair has never been this soft with gel in it. It is awesome!:yep:

Last edited:

Subscribe

^^^ Congrats!! Are you sure you just don't like short hair? :lachen::lachen: You've been on this board since 04. Some people look good rocking a TWA and your one of them :yep: Just curious...

Keep sharing your MHM results.

Honey Bee

Wore a twist out yesterday. I stretched it using Nap85's no heat blow dry technique and twisted with SM Hold n Shine and Aveda Brilliance pomade. (Yes, I know I'll probably need shampoo to get the Aveda out, but I'm due for a Nexus treatment soon and I usu shampoo for that, so... shrug.) Nap85's technique leaves no texture/ clumping/ definition.

Anyway, it was very humid and my hair poofed within the hour. :lol: The magic was, when it poofed, it went right back to its clumped, coily self. One minute, I'm rockin a twist-out; the next, a quite presentable wng-looking thing. SO even played in it. :look: :kiss4:

I've never had my hair react to the weather and still look presentable. I'm still traumatized by my first grade school pic (left the house looking like Rudy Huxtable, got to school looking like Frederick Douglas, lol).

The MHM, even with all my substitutions, amendments, and plain just not following the rules, is changing my relationship with my hair. I knew it would be different going natural this time, there's so much help now, but I did not expect this. My hair is not a cipher. It is not unpredictable. I get it now, and I kinda like it. :yep: :up:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I also wore a twistout for Christmas. The Giovanni gel REALLY helped my twistout last for days.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141227_083936.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141227_083936.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20141227_084020.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141227_084020.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 75

GGsKin

My rhassoul clay arrived today:grin:

I will wash my hair on Tuesday and try this clay out. I'm not waiting for the conditioner as I want to see what difference, if any, this clay will have. I bought a 1kg tub and I still have over half a 2lbs tub of bentonite left. So I shouldn't need to buy more clay for some time.

I am really trying hard not to wash my hair today.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Again, tried to upload more pics, the app std I uploaded the pics but of course sum of the pics didn't upload.

One of the pics is before i separated the twists again

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141227_084523.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141227_084523.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20141227_084543.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141227_084543.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Coming along!

2 days post BC, Day 1 of MHM.
ForumRunner_20141227_115123.jpg

3 days post BC
ForumRunner_20141227_114926.jpg

4 days post BC, coils are seen underneath! MHM Day 3.
ForumRunner_20141227_115142.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Today, wet hair with product. MHM Day 6. I missed 3 days so I'll be doing 7 days straight and then taper off to every 2-3 days.
ForumRunner_20141227_115727.jpg
ForumRunner_20141227_115742.jpg
ForumRunner_20141227_115801.jpg

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Sitting with mud in my hair right now. I will let it sit for an hour. I was going to do 2 but I've been slow poking all day and I need to get up and out the door sometime today.

I clarified with As I Am Cleansing pudding and rinsed. My hair felt really soft. So my clarified hair feels really good. Not sure how it would have felt if I let it dry. I may try that one day. Then I cowashed with Curls Ecstasy. I didn't use any heat. My hair felt ok after I rinsed but not as good as it did before I put it on. I won't repurchase the curls but it is going to work fine for cowashing for now.

Since it is the end of the year I will try to take pictures today with mud, maybe product free. I am thinking about using gel today. I'm not sure. We shall see.

With the clay I have definition in 85% of the strand. And my hair is definitely laying flatter when I first started. Slow progress but I am definitely progressing.

What other AIA products are you using? I LOVE this line but its not on the approved list. I've come to the conclusion that the maker of MHM hasn't tested or read the ingredient list of ALL natural products on the market so we have to read and test for ourselves.

faithVA

What other AIA products are you using? I LOVE this line but its not on the approved list. I've come to the conclusion that the maker of MHM hasn't tested or read the ingredient list of ALL natural products on the market so we have to read and test for ourselves.

I'm only using the cleansing pudding and the leave in.

I think pinkecubes advice is solid for people that are trying to get to hydration. Using a lot of different things with various ingredients can prevent some people from reaching hydration and then getting frustrated.

I wear my hair in flat twist so using the AIA works for me. But if I was really trying to get to hydration quickly and wear my hair out I wouldn't use them.

Ingredients can really impact your hydration and definition. If she allowed more products I don't think the method would have been as successful as it has been.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
^^^ Congrats!! Are you sure you just don't like short hair? :lachen::lachen: You've been on this board since 04. Some people look good rocking a TWA and your one of them :yep: Just curious...

Keep sharing your MHM results.[/QUOTE

My previous hair journeys are teaching me different things. One thing I know now that I will most likely will never use another relaxer on my hair again. Even saying that, I never know.:lol: My hair is usually the only thing I have control over, so I change it up every year or so. What held me back is the lack of styling skills with my natural hair and the lack of stylists in my area that could take good care of my own hair. My last journey, I over used heat and that led to breakage. If I had known about MHM, I would never have tried to texlax/relax.

msbettyboop

I came across a link in one of the threads where one can purchase slippery elm, marshmallow root, etc but it seems to have disappeared or I've gone cross-eyed trying to find it. Does anyone remember the link? Thanks.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I finally finished straightening my hair and I gave myself alittle trim. I did skip the clay step, b/c I didn't want to take the chance that I had leftover clay in my hair. The results came out great; however I'm still having the issue where some of my ends are frizzy. This time the frizzy is only in the back of the middle section of my hair. I used very little leave-in and very little heat protectant. I didn't really want to straighten my hair, but I have a job interview next week. I'm very pleased with my growth. I really hope I can make APL by my b-day.

hairtimes5

I came across a link in one of the threads where one can purchase slippery elm, marshmallow root, etc but it seems to have disappeared or I've gone cross-eyed trying to find it. Does anyone remember the link? Thanks.

Don't know if you have a MOM's organic market near you but that's where I get mines from.

msbettyboop

Found it. In case anyone else was interested, it's bulkapothecary.com.

faithVA

Has anyone tried both pink clay and bentoinite clay? Which would you say is better and why? Thanks.

Bentonite was more drying to my hair but the pink clay was so messy that I dreaded using it. I think the bentonite last longer because cup wise the pink clay yields less.

Maybe others had different experiences. My preference is rhassoul then bentonite then anything else. I have tried rhassoul, bentonite, pink clay, red clay and kaolin.

hairtimes5

Used ACV this morning when I did my hair and although I'm low po, my hair responds really well to it. My curls looked so pretty after rinsing. May start using it more often for step 1.

Is anyone else obsessive when it comes to detangling? Sometimes I feel like I'm going overboard in an effort to run my fingers smoothly through every strand of my hair. I detangle during the cowash step but then I realized during my last wash that I'm kind of detangling again during the leave in step since it tangles a little during the clay step. I'm just going to start detangling during the leave in step so as not to manipulate my hair as much.

It's been a month since I've put any kind of oil in my hair and I'm seeing a difference with moisture levels. I've been relaxer free close to 4 yrs now and I've never seen where oils (and I've tried lots of different kinds) really made a difference in my hair. Some of them just plain ole dried it out terribly. But because you always hear "seal with oil" I just kept at it. My hair does so much better without it. Done with my random MHM thoughts :)

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Used ACV this morning when I did my hair and although I'm low po, my hair responds really well to it. My curls looked so pretty after rinsing. May start using it more often for step 1.

Is anyone else obsessive when it comes to detangling? Sometimes I feel like I'm going overboard in an effort to run my fingers smoothly through every strand of my hair. I detangle during the cowash step but then I realized during my last wash that I'm kind of detangling again during the leave in step since it tangles a little during the clay step. I'm just going to start detangling during the leave in step so as not to manipulate my hair as much.

It's been a month since I've put any kind of oil in my hair and I'm seeing a difference with moisture levels. I've been relaxer free close to 4 yrs now and I've never seen where oils (and I've tried lots of different kinds) really made a difference in my hair. Some of them just plain ole dried it out terribly. But because you always hear "seal with oil" I just kept at it. My hair does so much better without it. Done with my random MHM thoughts :)

I want to start alternating baking soda and ACV as well but am terrified because like you, I too have low porosity. When I was texlaxed I still had low porosity and my hair really like ACV rinses. I may try it tomorrow if I don't chicken out. hairtimes5

faithVA

I want to start alternating baking soda and ACV as well but am terrified because like you, I too have low porosity. When I was texlaxed I still had low porosity and my hair really like ACV rinses. I may try it tomorrow if I don't chicken out. hairtimes5

You hair will be fine with ACV for step 1. You may just need to use heat with step 2. No need to be terrified. Your cuticles are already closed in step 1. ACV just won't open them up.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
You hair will be fine with ACV for step 1. You may just need to use heat with step 2. No need to be terrified. Your cuticles are already closed in step 1. ACV just won't open them up.

OK, I'll try it. Today I warmed step 2, I alternate between warming the mix, steaming and overnight. So its not important to open the strands in step 1? Only steps 2 & maybe 3?? faithVA

faithVA

OK, I'll try it. Today I warmed step 2, I alternate between warming the mix, steaming and overnight. So its not important to open the strands in step 1? Only steps 2 & maybe 3?? faithVA

No you don't have to open the cuticle for step 1. Step 1 is for clarifying to remove build up. As long as you do that in step 1 you are good.

It is perfectly fine to open the cuticle in step 2 for your conditioning step. So warming up the mix is fine and so is steaming.

I don't know that you need to open the cuticles in step 3 either. Its something you can play around with but it isn't crucial.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
No you don't have to open the cuticle for step 1. Step 1 is for clarifying to remove build up. As long as you do that in step 1 you are good.

It is perfectly fine to open the cuticle in step 2 for your conditioning step. So warming up the mix is fine and so is steaming.

I don't know that you need to open the cuticles in step 3 either. Its something you can play around with but it isn't crucial.

Cool, thanks.!

msbettyboop

So I completed day 8 yesterday and used KKCC for step 5. The definition was amazing. Everyone wanted to stick their fingers in my hair to verify I wasn't wearing a kinky curly wig.

The residue the KKCC left behind though...:nono::nono::nono:. I'm talking everytime I touch my hair, I have a sticky film on my hands that won't come off without soap. I don't like it at all. It makes me want to run into the bathroom and wash my hair with sulfate shampoo!!! Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm thinking of diluting it slightly the next time or using less although I used very little to begin with because the jar is soooo tiny and sooo expensive. If it still feels sticky to the touch afterwards, I will return to flaxseed gel. The definition isn't as much but it doesn't leave any residue on my hair.

I've also started researching ingredients as I plan to start making my own gel and conditioner very soon.

GGsKin

I did a DC overnight. This morning I mixed up my clay, using rhassoul instead of bentonite. Thanks to faithVA for the tips on the amount of 'sweĺling' each of these clays yield. This prepared me well.

I funnelled about 7 heaped spoons of clay into a 16oz applicator bottle. Added about one teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a couple of splashes of ACV, about a teaspoon of honey and enough warm water to bring it to about 8-10oz. I shook with my hand covering the bottle, and mixed stubborn bits with a chopstick. I added another spoon of clay and shook again.

In comparison, the mix was the similar cake batter consistency but held more air bubbles after shaking. It feels much lighter than bentonite. I could barely feel the weight of the mix in my hand like I do with bentonite. I needed to use more clay to weigh my hair down. It felt finer/ smoother going onto my hair. I also noticed my hands feeling soft as I washed off the shed hairs and clay residue. Even though I had roughly the same amount of mixed clay, I needed to mix a little bit more to cover my small head.

Currently sitting with it on. Plan to do this for about 2 hrs.
Pics: 1. Co washed. 2. Consistency of rhassoul clay. 3. With clay, no flash. 4. With clay and flash.

Attachments

• 2014-12-30 11.28.45.jpg
    2014-12-30 11.28.45.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 2014-12-30 11.27.17.jpg
    2014-12-30 11.27.17.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 45
  • 2014-12-30 11.24.29.jpg
    2014-12-30 11.24.29.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2014-12-30 11.26.22.jpg
    2014-12-30 11.26.22.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 67

aharri23

So I completed day 8 yesterday and used KKCC for step 5. The definition was amazing. Everyone wanted to stick their fingers in my hair to verify I wasn't wearing a kinky curly wig.

The residue the KKCC left behind though...:nono::nono::nono:. I'm talking everytime I touch my hair, I have a sticky film on my hands that won't come off without soap. I don't like it at all. It makes me want to run into the bathroom and wash my hair with sulfate shampoo!!! Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm thinking of diluting it slightly the next time or using less although I used very little to begin with because the jar is soooo tiny and sooo expensive. If it still feels sticky to the touch afterwards, I will return to flaxseed gel. The definition isn't as much but it doesn't leave any residue on my hair.

I've also started researching ingredients as I plan to start making my own gel and conditioner very soon.

I had the same problem with KCCC! Not sure what causes that feeling. I make my own gel and conditioner too and I love being able to control what I put on my hair

faithVA

Pinkecube advises to dilute everything. I think the kccc can be diluted as much as 50%. You should definitely try diluting it. The more definition you have the less gel you need.

faithVA

I did a DC overnight. This morning I mixed up my clay, using rhassoul instead of bentonite. Thanks to faithVA for the tips on the amount of 'sweĺling' each of these clays yield. This prepared me well.

I funnelled about 7 heaped spoons of clay into a 16oz applicator bottle. Added about one teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a couple of splashes of ACV, about a teaspoon of honey and enough warm water to bring it to about 8-10oz. I shook with my hand covering the bottle, and mixed stubborn bits with a chopstick. I added another spoon of clay and shook again.

In comparison, the mix was the similar cake batter consistency but held more air bubbles after shaking. It feels much lighter than bentonite. I could barely feel the weight of the mix in my hand like I do with bentonite. I needed to use more clay to weigh my hair down. It felt finer/ smoother going onto my hair. I also noticed my hands feeling soft as I washed off the shed hairs and clay residue. Even though I had roughly the same amount of mixed clay, I needed to mix a little bit more to cover my small head.

Currently sitting with it on. Plan to do this for about 2 hrs.
Pics: 1. Co washed. 2. Consistency of rhassoul clay. 3. With clay, no flash. 4. With clay and flash.

Looks good. Try using 1/8 tsp of acv and not any more than that to prevent thinning your clay out too much. I think I start with 6 oz of water, but I'm not completely sure.

Your hair looks good :yep: