MHM Hangout

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm loving my hair more and more every time I complete the routine!
I don't understand why the app flips the Pic. I think it may flip when the pic is taken in landscape.
ForumRunner_20150102_145524.jpg

QUESTION: Besides protein treating, what else is the CLCT suppose to do??

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

aharri23

Just did a wash and go with UFD curly magic! It is the original formula. The hair gel that I make defines my curls better but this will probably hold softer. My gel is a lot thinner than the curly magic. The curly magic is very tacky and slimy. I will try to dupe it now that I know what the consistency is and the pH :)

faithVA

[USER said:
Duchess007;20955345[/USER]]Thanks for the response, pelohello! That's actually the blog I've been reading! Also been looking at her YT channel, msdeekay2012. It seems like the amount of time this is left on the hair may vary based on porosity (i.e. those with super low porosity are leaving the CLCT on longer to get their cuticles to open) and I worry that my already porous hair would respond negatively. I do ACV rinses all the time; it's the baking soda that is freaking me out. :-/

I guess the only way to know for sure is to give it a try. I am looking into trying this method for six months, and the baking soda is my only hangup.

The baking soda in the clct is neutralized by the other ingredients. It is not the ph of one ingredient that matters. It is the ph of the entire mixture that matters. And I think I posted the ph of the clct in the first post. If you stick to the recipe you will have a balanced treatment.

Of course you don't have to use baking soda for step 1 when you aren't doing clct.

HopefulOne

Another thing I've noticed since doing MHM is that I can now refresh my wng's. Before, when I would spritz anything on my hair it would turn into a giant frizz ball. Now I can spritz my hair with my conditioner and water mix, though lightly, and my hair is just fine. Speaking of refreshers...Target was having a sale on Camille Rose products awhile back so I got the almond jai twist butter and the moisture milk. The prices were pretty low, $8 and some change for the butter and 6 and some change for the milk. I tried the milk on baby boy's hair and kinda liked it so I went back to get more and they were out. I went to the Target in the next neighborhood over and it was on sale but at different prices. The butter was $16 or $17 something and the milk $13 and some change. So I went back to my Target and got a rain check for more bottles at the $6 price tag. I was thinking yesterday morning that I need to find something else to do with all that product so I filled a spray bottle a third of the way with the moisture milk and the rest with distilled water. It makes for a nice refresher spray, left my hair nice and soft.

I am glad that worked for you and you were able to refresh. I did a wng yesterday and today which came out perfectly. I will do the whole regimen tomorrow. I am really glad that these wngs come out so perfectly without SSKs or tangles, I love the fact that my hair is fresh everyday.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I don't use the banana or avocado. I tried once and my hair was gummed up with the bits of avocado and bananas.:nono: I do use avocado oil and honey, instead. It seems to take place of the omitted as a thickening agent. I do not like honey, though, because it makes my hair lighter. that's why I threw out SM manuka line. It jacked up my black hair and turned it reddish brown.:rolleyes: I didn't like it, but the hair stylist did.:lol:

Smiley79

Im going on day 3 tmrw and want to apply a black semi-permanent color to my hair....is that okay?

DDTexlaxed

I use a demi perm color and haven't received any damage at all.:yep: In fact, this is the best condition my hair has ever been.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I use a demi perm color and haven't received any damage at all.:yep: In fact, this is the best condition my hair has ever been.

This is good to hear! I'm having a demi permanent done as soon as I get rid of the last traces of henna.

hairtimes5

I don't use the banana or avocado. I tried once and my hair was gummed up with the bits of avocado and bananas.:nono: I do use avocado oil and honey, instead. It seems to take place of the omitted as a thickening agent. I do not like honey, though, because it makes my hair lighter. that's why I threw out SM manuka line. It jacked up my black hair and turned it reddish brown.:rolleyes: I didn't like it, but the hair stylist did.:lol:

I wish honey had the same effect on my hair. I always thought I had light to medium brown hair but when I grew my relaxer out my hair was dark. Come to find out, my hair was being lightened by the relaxer. I am so not used to dark hair. I am very fair-skinned with a yellow undertone and dark hair is not becoming on me (atleast i don't think so).I want to go lighter so bad but I'm nervous because when I did shortly after I bc'd my hair was super dry. Plus I don't know how it's going to work with MHM (I want a honey blondish color). Anybody here used a permanent color to lighten while doing MHM? If so, how is it working? What modifications have you had to make, if any?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Yesterday my scalp itched soo bad and this morning it was sooo sore. I'm ditching the regimen for now and going to try and build a regular regimen for my natural hair. I'll try again after my scalp heels. Hopefully it was nothing from the treatment...I think it was overnight DC that did it.

deborah11

I have added my MHM pics to my LHCF Album---MHM Album. I don't know how to add them to my profile or actual individual posts.

Hello FaithVa,

Please include me as an official MHM hangouter!

I have been utilizing the MHM since October 19, 2014, and it has impressed me enough that I want to continue for now.

I had been mostly natural for the last 10 years, give or take a couple of mild texlaxs during periods of " indecisiveness." LOL! During those years my hair was very healthy but all heck broke out 4 years ago with so many hair problems unrelated to its natural state-- menopause hair loss, well water with too much Iron that seriously damaged my hair and caused major hair loss, etc. You name it and I have been there. Finally 4 months ago after a serious break from anything hair damage inducing, I texlaxed for 8 min. Using linage and wouldn't you know my hair still looked like an Afro! Menopause has totally changed my hair texture. LOL! Somehow I stumbled across MHM which has been helpful in terms of reviving my hair's moisture levels and helping me to retain length by seriously reducing my hair shedding, breakage, and SSK's.

My MHM Regime

I started on October 19, 2014 and have completed 9 cycles. I pushed at it hard initially completing the first 4 cycles during the first week, including 1 cherry Lola treatment. Now I can only seem to manage 1 cycle per week but my hair appears to be about 60-65% hydrated:

My MHM Regime:

1. Clarify: BS or ACV + TTTC Conditioner + water
2. Condition: Trader Joe's TTTC or diluted kknt
3. Mud: Rhassoul + water + honey + olive oil
4. Leave-In: diluted kknt or TTTC
5. Seal: Hair butter (UA)

I initially followed the program by the book but I am having trouble still with mud residue so this past week I modified:

Mud, rinse, TTTC+ water+ baking soda wash, rinse, leave in, sealed with butter. I liked this better because I didn't have mud residue.

I am a bit all over the place right now as I try to figure out how to make the regime work best for my hair. This week I appear to have some hair shedding which was not a problem before so I am trying to figure out whether that is being caused by the modified version or if my hair needs protein now. Will keep everyone posted on developments and will try to figure out how to post pictures here.

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Yesterday my scalp itched soo bad and this morning it was sooo sore. I'm ditching the regimen for now and going to try and build a regular regimen for my natural hair. I'll try again after my scalp heels. Hopefully it was nothing from the treatment...I think it was overnight DC that did it.

Aww that's a shame. When I 1st started this method, I had did it 7days straight and I had the same issue; itchy and sore scalp. But once I scaled back on the reggie (only doing MHM 1-2x's a week); my scalp thanked me. I also think, for me, the frequent DCing was an issue. I've always had problems with that; even when I was relaxed.

Do you plan on incorporating anything that you learned from this method into your reggie?

Last edited:

faithVA

Aww that's a shame. When I 1st started this method, I had did it 7days straight and I had the same issue; itchy and sore scalp. But once I scaled back on the reggie (only doing MHM 1-2x's a week); my scalp thanked me.

I agree. Sometimes we do too much or go too hard. That is why I say that doing it 7 days straight is a suggestion. And you have to listen to your hair and scalp.

Even before the regimen I knew I couldn't overnight DC or let my scalp stay wet for long periods of time :nono:

There are a lot of good tips and modifications in this thread though to make a personalized mhm regimen that works for most people.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Yesterday my scalp itched soo bad and this morning it was sooo sore. I'm ditching the regimen for now and going to try and build a regular regimen for my natural hair. I'll try again after my scalp heels. Hopefully it was nothing from the treatment...I think it was overnight DC that did it. Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
You know I had this problem with some ingredients...a baking soda cleanse fixed my problem. My scalp hates jojoba. I'm sure here are other ingredients I haven't identified but jojoba for sure is one.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Thanks ladies! My scalp feels much better...I did use some non approved products this morning to see how my hair respnd to products I loved pre natural but its still dull and dry and has way less definition. I'm at a lost because I can't get my hair to retain moisture like it should. Tomorrow I'll try a regimen without gel at all.

faithVA

Thanks ladies! My scalp feels much better...I did use some non approved products this morning to see how my hair respnd to products I loved pre natural but its still dull and dry and has way less definition. I'm at a lost because I can't get my hair to retain moisture like it should. Tomorrow I'll try a regimen without gel at all.

Keep it simple for a while. Do short quick steps for a while. Do each step for no more than 15 minutes at that. Clarify, cowash, mud. Apply your leave-in and then seal. For sealing find what you like. Some use gel, but others just use an oil. I use a hair cream because neither a gel or an oil seals my hair.

Smiley79

I don't like that my hair has lost some volume and it looks very stringy in some areas, but I do love the definition that I have gained in most of my hair...I too am going to look for ways to modify this regimen. I see myself doing the CLT every couple weeks and using the Bentonite as often as possible along with frequent DC.

SimplyWhole

I had a lot of itching and I narrowed it down to the baking soda. I have eliminate that step and no more itching!!!!

SimplyWhole

Made a vey smooth clay - loved the texture and the results!!

8 TBS Redmond clay
1 TBS alma
1 TBS methi
1 TBS slippery elm
4 TBS EVOO
2 TBS black strap molasses
3/4 cups of hot water

I keep it in a 16 ounce jar in the refrigerator. This will last me for ~ 8 washes.

Honey Bee

Even before the regimen I knew I couldn't overnight DC or let my scalp stay wet for long periods of time :nono:
:yep: I don't sleep in dc (fine hair problems) and my scalp starts to itch after a while, so I just never tried that option.

I washed my hair last night, but I didn't do MHM. I needed a shampoo cuz I had been using some questionable products :look: so I figured I might as well do a lil protein rx too (Nexxus Polymedic Recon). Prepoo'ed, poo'ed :look:, protein'ed, dc'd, air-dried loose (for speed), flat-twisted with some Taliah Wahjid cream (that smelled like mangoes! :lick:) and the Shea Moisture Hold and Shine. I don't yet know how the twist-out might look, but my hair definitely had less definition.

I go off reggie sometimes because it's my hair and I do what I want. :look:

DDTexlaxed

Has anyone used a different gel other than KCCC with success? I am in search of a different gel. It works great, but it is not cost effective. I am not good at making my own stuff, so I am looking at others and their results.

hairtimes5

Has anyone used a different gel other than KCCC with success? I am in search of a different gel. It works great, but it is not cost effective. I am not good at making my own stuff, so I am looking at others and their results.

I would recommend Hello Curly but something's going on with the owner so I don't know if the company is going to be around any longer. Other than that and flaxseed gel I haven't tried anything else.

hairtimes5

Another observation...although I like the way the acv rinse in step 1 makes my hair looks, it causes a lot more shedding. When I used the bs mix this morning I had way less shedding than my last wash using acv. Then I remembered that back in 2013 I used acv to cleanse for several months and had to stop because of the shedding. Plus when I do the bs option my wng is more elongated for some reason. If I decide to use acv again I'll make my mix with a lower acv to water ratio.

aharri23

Uncle Funky's daughter curly magic is really good.

Guinan

Re-Branding

I've purchased two approved gels. One was the Giovanni LA gel and that was 7.99 + tax and the other gel is Curls botanical gelle (I think that's the name). The Giovanni gel was wayyyyy too thick for my hair but I think I will still incorporate it into my reggie b/c I like the hold of it. I haven't tried the botanical gelle yet. The botanical gelle cost 9.99. I still for the price of the approved jobs are way too expensive compared to the amount of product that you receive.

I'm not good at making my own products either, but I would give it a try for making your own flaxseed gel. There is a learning curve, but once you have it done pack it's a breeze to make.

However, if none of these work, I was just find any gel that works for your hair and maybe dilute it with water. I like eco styler gel, so whenever I don't feel like making FSG, I get some eco styler gel and mix it with 1-2cups water.