MHM Hangout

faithVA

Ok so I've noticed whenever I apply conditioner during step 2, I am getting those white gooey balls in some places kind of like my conditioner is mixing with the gel residue from the previous wash and go. I may try doing the clay step 1st and see if that fixes the problem. This happens with baking soda or ACV for step 1

Is this after using your homemade gel?

Doing the mud first should definitely help.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I know its not on the approved list but I bought the Camille Rose Curl maker to try out. I really think my hair doesn't agree with KC.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Ok so I've noticed whenever I apply conditioner during step 2, I am getting those white gooey balls in some places kind of like my conditioner is mixing with the gel residue from the previous wash and go. I may try doing the clay step 1st and see if that fixes the problem. This happens with baking soda or ACV for step 1

YAS! My leavins sits on my hair and bead and foam up and once the gel dries I can see where the leave in didn't absorb. So far I've used KCKT and Tressamme Naturals as my leave in. I'm going today to pick up TJ TTTT. I hope I don't have to resort to ordering online, returns can be too much of a hassle.

Last edited:

faithVA

Yes I have been using my homemade gel the past month, however it happened with CRN Curl Maker too.

I'm just wondering if it is an ingredient that the clarifiers are having a harder time getting off. Perhaps it is in other gels but maybe at a higher ratio in the gels that are causing the issue.

aharri23

I'm just wondering if it is an ingredient that the clarifiers are having a harder time getting off. Perhaps it is in other gels but maybe at a higher ratio in the gels that are causing the issue.

My gel literally has like 5 ingredients. It's probably the thickener (xanthan gum) or the agave nectar.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie

The KCCC is approved so it should work. I'm also thinking if I can find a leave in that actually absorbs prior to applying gel I will be OK. This discovery mode really sucks.

Also, tonight I'm going to test another theory. I will let some of the water leave my hair prior to applying the leave and then lightly rewet before applying the gel. Could it be my leave in can't absorb because my hair retained soon much water and nothing else can get in? I remember having to T-shirt air dry for about 20 minutes prior to adding leave ins as a relaxed/texlaxed head.

Last edited:

faithVA

The KCCC is approved so it should work. I'm also thinking if I can find a leave in that actually absorbs prior to applying gel I will be OK. This discovery mode really sucks.

KiWiStyle, you are talking about something different than aharris23. He is having an issue getting the gel off during step 1. You are talking about the gel at step 5.

You are just getting started. Be careful of changing things too quickly. It may not be your products but your technique. But if you change too many things at the same time you won't be able to narrow it down. You will have spent money but not figured out what works.

How much did you dilute your leave-in? Have you tried heating your leave-in up before applying it?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
KiWiStyle, you are talking about something different than aharris23. He is having an issue getting the gel off during step 1. You are talking about the gel at step 5.

You are just getting started. Be careful of changing things too quickly. It may not be your products but your technique. But if you change too many things at the same time you won't be able to narrow it down. You will have spent money but not figured out what works.

How much did you dilute your leave-in? Have you tried heating your leave-in up before applying it?

Oops sorry. I used the dilution recipe on the site. No, I only heated the cowash.

faithVA

Oops sorry. I used the dilution recipe on the site. No, I only heated the cowash.

It sounds like you may be low porosity if you are having an issue with the leave-in absorbing.

On your next wash check to see if your hair feels oil after you rinse out the clay. If so then you may need to reduce the oil in your clay. The oil can prevent your hair from absorbing the leave-in.

Try heating your leave-in to see if it absorbs better.

KKNT is pretty thin especially when diluted so it should absorb.

Have you had a problem before with products not absorbing?

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I know its not on the approved list but I bought the Camille Rose Curl maker to try out. I really think my hair doesn't agree with KC. Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
My hair actually hated the CRCM. It was fine until it dried and then it flaked like crazy.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
It sounds like you may be low porosity if you are having an issue with the leave-in absorbing.

On your next wash check to see if your hair feels oil after you rinse out the clay. If so then you may need to reduce the oil in your clay. The oil can prevent your hair from absorbing the leave-in.

Try heating your leave-in to see if it absorbs better.

KKNT is pretty thin especially when diluted so it should absorb.

Have you had a problem before with products not absorbing?

Yes I do have low porosity. My new stylists said I had product build up because she had to scrub dried product from the front of my hair. I chelated monthly so I was surprised, apparently it doesn't take long for my fine,LP strands. It does make since about the oil in the clay mix...can I omit the oil altogether? faithVA

faithVA

[USER=323671 said:
KiWiStyle[/USER];20919965]Yes I do have low porosity. My new stylists said I had product build up because she had to scrub dried product from the front of my hair. I chelated monthly so I was surprised, apparently it doesn't take long for my fine,LP strands. It does make since about the oil in the clay mix...can I omit the oil altogether? faithVA

You can try eliminating that or just reducing it. But as I said earlier the dullness sounds like the clay is trying to detox your hair. You need to get through that process first to know what your hair is really like. Try doing the next 3 or 4 washes with your current regimen before making too many changes.

GGsKin

Just bought some rhassou clay. Can't wait to see if there is a difference to my hair, vs bentonite.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
You can try eliminating that or just reducing it. But as I said earlier the dullness sounds like the clay is trying to detox your hair. You need to get through that process first to know what your hair is really like. Try doing the next 3 or 4 washes with your current regimen before making too many changes.

Then that's what I'll do...thanks faithVA

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie

Then that's what I'll do...thanks faithVA

Guinan

Re-Branding
So I took down my twists yesterday in preperation for my twistout on Thursday and the twists are SUPER defined and SUPER shiney. So I guess I will be keeping the giovanni hair gel. I do have alot of cons about this gel, but I'm going to see how it interacts with my flaxseed gel.

msbettyboop

On day 7 now. I had jet lag after I arrived and was too busy to order the products I needed until this morning. I ordered kinky curly gel finally, Jessicurl deep treatment conditioner and tea tree tingle shampoo instead of conditioner by mistake. I called them and they're going to exchange it tomorrow but I had to do my treatment today because my hair was starting to tangle and I could feel ssks.

I was upset when I was on step 1 because I could feel so much tangling but when I moved on to step 2......wow, Jessicurl melted/dissolved all the the tangles. I have it in now and deep conditioning. I'm looking forward to seeing how my hair will look after I use it for the leave in stage. I'm not sure if I will stick with it though because it's soooo expensive and it's only 8oz. Trader Joe's tea tree tingle is 160z and costs way less...

Honey Bee

I meant to ask this forever ago, but does MHM help with shrinkage?
I think that depends on hair type. My nape is considerably looser than the rest of my hair. MHM has tightened those curls while, at the same time, the rest of my hair hangs more. :spinning:

You could check out the MHM instagram, find ppl with your texture, and see how it worked for them. :yep:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Update: I clarified last night and Applied my conditioner for step 2 and kept it on over night. I did notice the conditioner (tresemme naturals) did soak into my strands better with only a few beads, Lol. I have my clay on now and I must say that after taking my sweety time applying my thicker mix I can see more coils and its actually sticking to and absorbing into my strands better. Before it just sat there and barely that, more like slid off my strands.

I'll report back with my results after I rinse.
Will it help to leave the clay on more than two hours?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
So step 4 the leave in is still leaving frothy conditioner on my strands but it isn't beading up like before. I heated the conditioner beforehand and now I'm sitting under the steamer for max absorbtion and penetration. Once thats done, I'll spritz with water and apply my KCCC. This low porosity hair is getting on my last nerve!

faithVA

So step 4 the leave in is still leaving frothy conditioner on my strands but it isn't beading up like before. I heated the conditioner beforehand and now I'm sitting under the steamer for max absorbtion and penetration. Once thats done, I'll spritz with water and apply my KCCC. This low porosity hair is getting on my last nerve!

It will get better with time. Its a process. Stick with it and you will be fine. :yep:

faithVA

Thanks, I plan to. I guess I should not concern myself as much with getting coils but just hydration.

Yes just let the curls/coils come. You may be fortunate and they come quickly but I would hate for you to become discouraged if it takes longer than you think it should take.

I was hyped the first month and then I settled it because I could tell it was going to take me months. It looks like it will probably take me a year at the pace I am going now. We shall see. But I have seen great progress in hydration.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Update: I clarified last night and Applied my conditioner for step 2 and kept it on over night. I did notice the conditioner (tresemme naturals) did soak into my strands better with only a few beads, Lol. I have my clay on now and I must say that after taking my sweety time applying my thicker mix I can see more coils and its actually sticking to and absorbing into my strands better. Before it just sat there and barely that, more like slid off my strands. I'll report back with my results after I rinse. Will it help to leave the clay on more than two hours? Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
What kind of clay did you use? What is your recipe?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
What kind of clay did you use? What is your recipe?

Cattypus1 I use NOW Red Moroccan Clay. The store clerk says its Rhassoul. The first time I used:
1 cup of clay
1 tbsp honey
1-2 tbsp evoo

Today I used:
1 cup of clay
1-2 tbsp honey
Omitted the oil.

My hair is so dry and showing no signs of hydration. I'll stick it out for maybe two weeks but I cannot not deal with dry hair. I definitely feel coils underneath the "cotton" so I may have to definitely cut that portion over time which may be some relaxer, I'm not sure.

Last edited: