MHM Hangout

faithVA

So I sent my sis a pic and we had the following conversation:

Sis: Nice....
Me: thanks. Go natural baby.
Sis: what? That's not curly kinky weave?
Me: nope. It's my hair.
Sis: WOW.

MHM wins :p.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Very nice. That's definitely a good hair day :yep:

faithVA

[USER=323671 said:
KiWiStyle[/USER];20891993]I bought mine from whole foods...NOW brand morrocan red clay is Rhassoul clay. JustSitNNePretty

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

Are you sure? Rhassoul clay is morrocan but it isn't red.

faithVA

[USER=436817 said:
JustSitNBePretty[/USER];20891729]faithVA Where can one buy Rhassoul clay on the ground?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I don't know of anywhere to buy Rhassoul clay on the ground. I don't know if the Now Morroccan clay is the same as Rhassoul clay. If it is you can get it at Whole Foods as KiwiStyle said. You can also try The Vitamin Shoppe.

Check to see if you have any health food stores that sell bulk items. They often have clays in bulk as well.

faithVA

I just did an Aphogee two-step treatment Saturday, that stopped my breakage and made my hair feel stronger. I wanna do the Cherry Lola, mainly for the moisture retention and curl definition but I also know its a protein treatment. Would it be too much to do it a week later after the Aphogee reconstructing treatment?

Unless your high porosity I wouldn't do the CL after doing the 2 step. Even then you may want to wait 2 weeks between treatments. You may just want to do some moisturizing DCs in between and that should give you the moisture retention and curl definition you are looking for.

faithVA

[USER=168786 said:
msbettyboop[/USER];20892435]I was supposed to do day 5 today but I'm kinda tired so I've postponed till tomorrow. However, the curls have held up. I spritzed with water and threw into a high bun.

Sorry I'm not posting pictures but i'm on my phone and I have to first upload to another website and post the link here and I never get round to it. I will try to post a picture before the end of the week. Thanks.

By the way, is the clay supposed to loosen curls? I compared pictures from day 2 and day 4 when hair was wet. Day 2, the hair in front reached up to the bridge of my nose but on day 4, it reached the bottom of my chin....

If you are on the app, does your phone not allow you to just attach the picture? I've not done it so just asking.

Perhaps the loosening it the result of your hair being more hydrated and it being more full of water so it hangs more. I wouldn't say the clay loosens the curl but it helps your hair accept more water/moisture.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Are you sure? Rhassoul clay is morrocan but it isn't red.

faithVA most resources I've read says this:

"Mined deep beneath the Atlas Mountains in Eastern Morocco, the Egyptian and Romans were first to use and document benefits of rhassoul clay. Other names for rhassoul clay include – ghassoul clay, red clay, red moroccan clay or oxide clay. The name rhassoul comes from the Arabic word “rassala,” which means “washing.” Romans used the clay in baths, which is a variation of how rhassoul clay is used present day in Turkish mud baths.

The mineral-rich clay is extracted from naturally occurring lakeside deposits in large clods, then it gets washed, sun-dried and micronized into a smooth powder although you can buy it in the cods and reconstitute with water. Rhassoul’s color is a light gray with a hue of oxidized pink, which gives the clay a pinkish undertone."

faithVA

faithVA most resources I've read says this:

"Mined deep beneath the Atlas Mountains in Eastern Morocco, the Egyptian and Romans were first to use and document benefits of rhassoul clay. Other names for rhassoul clay include – ghassoul clay, red clay, red moroccan clay or oxide clay. The name rhassoul comes from the Arabic word “rassala,” which means “washing.” Romans used the clay in baths, which is a variation of how rhassoul clay is used present day in Turkish mud baths.

The mineral-rich clay is extracted from naturally occurring lakeside deposits in large clods, then it gets washed, sun-dried and micronized into a smooth powder although you can buy it in the cods and reconstitute with water. Rhassoul’s color is a light gray with a hue of oxidized pink, which gives the clay a pinkish undertone."

So is your clay gray or is it pink or is it red?

I had red clay but not sure if it was Moroccan. I know it isn't anything like the rhassoul I have now.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
So is your clay gray or is it pink or is it red?

I had red clay but not sure if it was Moroccan. I know it isn't anything like the rhassoul I have now.

Its really a grayish pink or pinkish gray in my opinion because its not a true pink or red. Which rhassoul clay are you using? When I went into WF and asked the clerk where to find rhassoul clay, she took me straight to the Moroccan red clay. I stood there and pulled my phone out to make sure its one and the same and it was.

I think with anything else, one product type will look different depending on the manufacturer.

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=323671 said:
KiWiStyle[/USER];20892681]Its really a grayish pink or pinkish gray in my opinion because its not a true pink or red. Which rhassoul clay are you using? When I went into WF and asked the clerk where to find rhassoul clay, she took me straight to the Moroccan red clay. I stood there and pulled my phone out to make sure its one and the same and it was.

I think with anything else, one product type will look different depending on the manufacturer.

I'm using rhassoul from Butters and Bars.

Does it stain? Is it messy?

msbettyboop

If you are on the app, does your phone not allow you to just attach the picture? I've not done it so just asking.

Perhaps the loosening it the result of your hair being more hydrated and it being more full of water so it hangs more. I wouldn't say the clay loosens the curl but it helps your hair accept more water/moisture.

I take pictures with my camera. I'm not sure I can take hair pics with phone properly without dislocating my neck:lachen:.I promise I'll post before end of the week.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm using rhassoul from Butters and Bars.

Does it stain? Is it messy?

Oh, ok. I just used mine for the first time just now, actually its on my face as I type this. It didn't stain my white sink and only a tiny drop made it on my counter but didn't stain. I'm not sure it was on there long enough to stain. Besides I can't imagine it staining if it's for skin too, lbvs.

ETA: I looked up the butters and bars rhassoul and the picture looks identical to the NOW brand.

Last edited:

faithVA

Oh, ok. I just used mine for the first time just now, actually its on my face as I type this. It didn't stain my white sink and only a tiny drop made it on my counter but didn't stain. I'm not sure it was on there long enough to stain. Besides I can't imagine it staining if it's for skin too, lbvs.

ETA: I looked up the butters and bars rhassoul and the picture looks identical to the NOW brand.

Yeah I think she is using a stock photo. What I received from her doesn't look like the picture. It looks closer to bentonite clay but just finer.

Well let us know how you like it if you use it for your hair.

I vowed to never use another red clay but if you are successful with the NOW brand I can at least use it for a backup.

The picture NOW uses and Butters and Bars uses, looks more like the pink clay I bought.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Yeah I think she is using a stock photo. What I received from her doesn't look like the picture. It looks closer to bentonite clay but just finer.

Well let us know how you like it if you use it for your hair.

I vowed to never use another red clay but if you are successful with the NOW brand I can at least use it for a backup.

The picture NOW uses and Butters and Bars uses, looks more like the pink clay I bought.

I'll report back after I do my first treatment but keep in mind I don't have anything to compare it to.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I went to Target last night and bought some Tressume Avocado conditioner. Hopefully my hair likes it. It smells identical to the lemon grass conditioner.

msbettyboop

Here's the bun I wore to bed to preserve the curls.

Attachments

• image-181477212.jpg
    image-181477212.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 65

Honey Bee

I'm low porosity and I have probably med/thick strands. Not sure about density. I think aloe vera is ok for the gel step, but you should stay clear of it in your conditioner/clay step.
Hmm. I hadn't even considered using it for the clay step, but I am hi po, so maybe it would help... I've used ACV in my clay and liked it.

General MHM update: I finally did a sort of Cherry Lola. 'Sort of' cuz I didn't use yogurt. I bought it and ate it. :look: :ohwell: (protip: maple syrup in plain yogurt :lick:) Anywho, I used TJ's TTT cond instead. I can't say I noticed a massive improvement visually, but my hair felt great and I think it stopped some shedding, so :up:. I think I'll do this once a week (being hi po and all). :yep:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Is anyone using unsulfured molasses in the Cherry Lola Caramel treatment? Its listed on the MMH site but no one mentions it here.

Last edited:

faithVA

Here are the pics. I figured out how to upload from my iPad :) Sorry, pics didn't upload in order. Pic 1 is day 4. Pic 2 is day 1. Pic 3 is day 1 with product and pic 4 is day 4 with product.

Such pretty curls. How long is your hair?

faithVA

It's wash night so I will be repeating Thursdays wash and compare some products. I want to compare the Jessicurl conditioner and the NG Herbal Blends. And I also got the NG leave-in that I want to try. Since it's midweek will just stick with the mud puddle for step 3 and save the real mud for the weekend.

GGsKin

Is anyone using unsulfured molasses in the Cherry Lola Caramel treatment? Its listed on the MMH site but no one mentions it here.

I use unsulphured molasses in my Cherry Lolas. I also add the egg. I've used both avocado and banana in my mix (I think I prefer this mix as it drips less. I've also tried it on myself and a couple of my friends, without the avocado and banana. The mix is runnier when I don't add the banana or avocado. All our hair still felt very soft after either treatment and was also super defined.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I use unsulphured molasses in my Cherry Lolas. I also add the egg. I've used both avocado and banana in my mix (I think I prefer this mix as it drips less. I've also tried it on myself and a couple of my friends, without the avocado and banana. The mix is runnier when I don't add the banana or avocado. All our hair still felt very soft after either treatment and was also super defined.

Thanks AbsyBlvd. I was on the fence about adding the egg but I just might add it now.