Loosen 4b hair WITHOUT perms/text...

Lebiya

I there a way to straighten OR significantly loosen my 4b hair without using a perm/ texturizer?...even for a fews hours only if possible

..I’m just soo tired of the struggles of detangling

:up:

one of the eternal questions
subscribing....

I there a way to straighten OR significantly loosen my 4b hair without using a perm/ texturizer?...even for a fews hours only if possible

..I’m just soo tired of the struggles of detangling

"curly pudding" ..the things in this world...lol

Does anyone know what the ingredients are?

Does it burn? ( I have sensitive scalp)

I do not like the blow drying part ...does it have to be blow-dried?

....someone who has used this please step up....: )

Ohhh and has anyone tried the honey and yogurt method?

I'd really like 4B's to respond because alot of these methods seem to work best on 4a/3 hair...I have the kinkiest 4b hair ever!

Trying to shingle could prove to be a huge disappointment if you don't have a curl pattern. The woman in the example clearly possesses a definite curl pattern and the technique enhances it. You can't expect to enhance what you just don't got and no pudding is going to create curls that are nonexistent...IMHO

I actually have some of this...

I got it for my daughter but at the time I didn't have the instructions so after I tried, it was put in the 'pile'.

if I rememeber the curly buttercream worked better but I dint' like the strong smell. smells like it MIGHT burn if you have a sensitive scalp. I think the smell is pepermint. it does list mineral oil in the ingredients.

the currly pudding has a very mild smell (I liked the smell).
I have to dig a bid deeper to find that jar though.

I may try it with the steps in the link.
My concern is how to keep it looking moisturised after the first day??

HOWEVER, I'm sure there are ways to make kinks less...kinky. I just don't know what they are but I've heard henna, baking soda and yogurt can help. I've never seen it happen with my hair and I've used henna for strengthening and done baking soda washes for clarifying.

Libya, I've seen you post a few times on this topic, maybe you should consider texturizing or something if your hair is proving too difficult for you to handle.

I find that Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme Moisturizer softens natural hair like nothing else I've tried. Granted it does leave the hair very moist...but I am always amazed. It kind of gives you that feeling of when they are smoothing the relaxer through the new growth.

Go to UltraBlackHair.com.

I'd really like 4B's to respond because alot of these methods seem to work best on 4a/3 hair...I have the kinkiest 4b hair ever!

I tried yogurt, also baking soda condish and honey
I didnt notice any real improvment.
:(

I just got hooked on AO HSR.
I'm thinkining i might try shingling with that??

I actually have some of this...

I got it for my daughter but at the time I didn't have the instructions so after I tried, it was put in the 'pile'.

if I rememeber the curly buttercream worked better but I dint' like the strong smell. smells like it MIGHT burn if you have a sensitive scalp. I think the smell is pepermint. it does list mineral oil in the ingredients.

the currly pudding has a very mild smell (I liked the smell).
I have to dig a bid deeper to find that jar though.

I may try it with the steps in the link.
My concern is how to keep it looking moisturised after the first day??

What is your hair type?

Do you have a link for the buttercream?...did it loosen your curls mildly or significantly?

What is your hair type?

Do you have a link for the buttercream?...did it loosen your curls mildly or significantly?

It was maybe 2 yrs ago I got it. I only tried it on my daughter.
I think it softened her hair but not enough for me to leave it out of pony tails.

I did put some on her hair this morning. If gave a soft curl definition to her hair but she BC'ed this year so it's not the same as longer hair.

http://missjessies.com/products.html#curlybuttercreme

Natural loosening possiblities:

coconut milk & Lime

Milk - Whole milk

henna

All of these could possiblly loosen hair textures.

Natural loosening possiblities:

coconut milk & Lime

Milk - Whole milk

henna

All of these could possiblly loosen hair textures.

Coconut and lime, that's good, it does soften and is good as a detangler, never tired whole milk, new to me. Henna, yes, it coats and relaxes the curl. Baking soda does soften the hair too. These things mostly soften and helps in detangling. The only thing I saw that relaxed my 4a/b hair was sour cream and lemons. But again, don't expect your hair to look like it was blown dry. I've never tried blow drying using these natural things, but from those that flat iron and blow dry after these processes LOVE it and say it makes blow drying and flat ironing easier and less time consuming. Hope this helps.

ETA~ These are based on my experience. Some people say they see more affect and some say nothing at all. Everyone's hair is so different.

Coconut and lime, that's good, it does soften and is good as a detangler, never tired whole milk, new to me. Henna, yes, it coats and relaxes the curl. Baking soda does soften the hair too. These things mostly soften and helps in detangling. The only thing I saw that relaxed my 4a/b hair was sour cream and lemons. But again, don't expect your hair to look like it was blown dry. I've never tried blow drying using these natural things, but from those that flat iron and blow dry after these processes LOVE it and say it makes blow drying and flat ironing easier and less time consuming. Hope this helps.

ETA~ These are based on my experience. Some people say they see more affect and some say nothing at all. Everyone's hair is so different.

Hi baby sis!!!! :kiss:

4b hair does not have a defined curl pattern. You have to just figure out a way to work with it. You will just spend tons of money on hair products and go through so much frustration. Twists and braids are your friends girl work with them. I know how you are feeling. I have 4b hair and I had to come to terms with the fact that it will not look like my daughters 4A hair.

I've been using baking soda and water to wash my hair and I've noticed recently that my hair is softer and less tangled. It didn't create a curl pattern where there isn't one, but it does seemed to have stretched out my hair some. I'm going to keep a close eye on it since I just started noticing it.

I think I use a lot of baking soda compared to other people...like about two palmfuls in 12-16oz of water. That may be why it seems to have loosened my texture a little bit...I just really like clean hair.

Thanks Teja and Lebiya...anyone willing to sell me a sample of the curly pudding???? TIA

Miss Jessie's is overpriced IMHO...I would try one of the great substitute puddings (many companies sell some type of pudding - blended beauty, mixed chicks, devacurl, etc). Many ladies use Fantasia IC Gel as a great substitute and I have seen a recipe on NC that has one jar of Fantasia IC, melted shea butter and oil mixed together for a pudding substitute that sounds yummy :lick:

Curly pudding is a style product, no burning involved. It is not permament. You don't have to use a blow dryer, that just helps to give the look fullness.

I have tried the honey/yogurt/banana thing and it worked well for me...but I am a texlaxed 4a...baking soda and conditioner left on overnight also works for me. But it is gradual and takes time to see a difference...besides more softness, that happened right away :yep:.

I tried yogurt, also baking soda condish and honey
I didnt notice any real improvment.
:(

I just got hooked on AO HSR.
I'm thinkining i might try shingling with that??

I don't think that shingling with AO will work because this is a conditioner. You will need a styling product with some hold.

Last edited:
I believe that you just have to find the products that will hold moisture for your hair the best and for everyone those products are different. I have 4a/3b hair myself but I have seen plenty of natural haired women a couple of women with 4b hair that looks amazing because they have that moisture thing down pat. I must admit that I had to spend a lot of money on finding the right products for me before I knew what worked to bring out my coils and make my hair not look dry. I still say that Qhemet Biologics hands down is the best bang for your buck and I still also say that 4a/4b hair should not be worn in wash and wear styles too much because they are drying and leads to breakage.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I have 4B hair. I used to do yogurt prepoos 1x/week (30-1hr with shower cap) and they worked very well. I was initially concerned that this would "straighen" my hair and some how cause perm damage. It didn't; it only loosened the curl. Also, this was a part of my reggie for several months and I didn't notice any adverse permanent effects.

However, from my experience, low fat/fat free yogurt didn't work as well. I had to use whole/full fat yogurt for it to work and I had to keep it on for more than 30 min.

I don't do it any more. My hair seems much more manageable when wet now. I'm not certain if the yogurt had positive lasting effects or if I've chosen better products for my hair overall... I would return to it in a second, though. HTH

Last edited:
I have 4b hair.

My stylist would use the Curly Pudding on me. You could use this product to do a braid/ twist out.

I have hair and any person wanting to loosen up their hair patten significantly...

Start pressing more often. Like twice a month and your pattern will loosen up.
Folks call it heat damaged, but I know a lot of long beautiful hair folks walking around with bra strap pressed hair LOL. And their hair still curls up. The texture is different, can't rock the twist, but definitely still nappy.

Last edited:
Back