tips and tricks for 4b transition WITHOUT bc?

Heres me at 10-11 months. my hair in the back was WL. In the very front part is APL..but it shrinkage got me. u can see the relaxed ends.
11mths.jpg

Heres me at 10-11 months. my hair in the back was WL. In the very front part is APL..but it shrinkage got me. u can see the relaxed ends.
11mths.jpg

Your roots are CRAZY THICK! And you managed your hair that long post relaxer without braids or PS'ing....Sylver2, that is straight talent!!

My sister did this very easily by wearing braids for year....she then cut off all the relaxed hair and started getting presses. I wore singles all 4 years of high school because I played sports. On graduation I had a head full of healthy APL natural 4b hair. :-D

I'm also 4b and am 3 months post. I've BKTd my hair and had been straightening but now I'm going to be in weaves and braids for the next year at least. Combing my hair at the moment is like using scissors, so I need to be in protective styles to help me stay the course.

I am a 4a/b and found transitioning very diff. The first few months were plain sailing but eventually the line ofdemarcation becamemore diff and my relaxedhair would just break off in handfulls which as so discouraging that I cut it all off. Just made more sense to me in the long run and its easier to care for one texture. My advice toyou OP wait illyou have 2 - 3 inches and then consider BCing.....

wow - thanks so much for all of your feedback. i can't tell you how much i appreciate all of this. i believe that i will be able to do this. keep the tips and tricks coming, please.

This was a good thread to bump.

What I've learned is BEFORE I wash I need CONDITIONER, CONDITIONER, CONDITIONER! I put my hair in four sections, and I apply it like a relaxer on DRY hair, first to the roots, then all the way to the ends. I just part with my fingers VERY carefully. The sections don't need to be small if you get enough conditioner and massage it in. If I don't do this I get THICK balls of hair coming out when I start detangling. With the conditioner I still get a bit of hair coming out, but I think it's because I only comb my hair on wash days and it's just shed hair. It's just a few stray strands this way though.

Back