Loosen curls. Keratin treatment without heat?

Zakina

Im looking for a way to loosen my natural 3b/c hair that's now waist length. I love that it has gotten longer but it's just really hard to manage now. Even putting it in a bun leads to tangles.

I've previously had keratin treatments done on my hair at a salon that lead to extreme breakage. I had to have a deep cut to save my hair. I'm not sure if it was the formula or the excessive heat during the treatment. It could also have been that the days following I was using a lot of heat to keep my hair straight.

Anyway, as my hair is now longer and I feel unmanageable... I'm looking to loosen my curl pattern not only to make it easier to style but also to better show off my length.

I don't think I'd like to do another salon keratin treatment but I've been looking at AVEDA naturally straight and Tresemme heat activated formulas. Seems like every treatment requires heat. Is there anything out there that doesn't require heat to loosen the curls gradually and naturally?

Last edited:

ajargon02

Sime people experience loosening of the curl pattern from henna. You can get "neutral" henna so it will not change your hair color.
Also tms I think it's called by beautiful textures. I have heard people are getting looser textures from this. It does require heat to get it started, but you only need to do the tx once every 6 weeks.
Hth

LoveLiLi

I don't know of a permanent solution that doesn't involve chemicals and/or heat and pose the risk of damage and breakage.

Are you looking to slightly loosen your texture? You could try henna, but the difference in curl pattern is minimal. It does give great shine and strengthens your hair.

You could also try a weekly amla oil treatment. Amla oil reduces the bulk in my hair and seems to melt the tangles away. It makes my hair very easy to manage and gives it a lot of hang. The drawback for me is the smell so I rarely use it.

Honey Bee

I'd suggest the MHM for the tangles, but it kinda tightens the curls (at least on my head, which is cool cuz all my textures are finally kinda evening out :spinning:).