Using Henna To Loosen Texture

bkprincesa

Hello lovely ladies of LHCF...

Just out of curiosity... Would any of you consider using Henna to loosen your natural hair texture?

I thought of this the other day when I got really frustrated at my two different (natural) textures while detangling. Along my hairline and towards the nape my curls are really loose and springy. But in my crown area, though my curls there still have the same S-shape as the curls in the hairline and nape areas, the curls are much tighter and the hair is more densely packed.

I would love to have the same texture all over (the looser one of course) and I've been considering using Henna treatments only on the crown area to loosen the curl pattern a bit. What do you think?

hair_rehab

I use henna but not to loosen my hair texture. I have 4a/b hair and it did loosen the 4a strands but the 4b strands stayed the same. It didn't look that great but it was only a temporary effect.

Eritreladiee

I think it's a good idea if that's what you're trying to achieve.

To be honest tho, I don't have much experience with henna. I henna'd for the 1st time (well I did it once before in the 8th grade, but that doesn't count) about a month ago to thicken up my hair strands and I feel like it did loosen my curl pattern. People say it's temporary (I hope so) but I dunno as of yet.

jamaraa

I don't use henna for that reason, but I wouldn't care if it loosened my texture a bit. So far, it hasn't that I can tell, but then again I'm not looking for it! :grin:

Henna HAS been used for that purpose tho. Gold Medal Hair has a product called "Herbal Tame" which is henna and a few more things marketed specifically to gradually straighten hair. I've never used it and I don't know how long/often you have to use it to get a looser texture, but I'm pretty certain it won't make Andre 4 hair noticably "straight" perhaps looser tho.

Try it on that part of your head and see....LOL! Be sure to use some indigo if you want to keep your hair dark because henna always deposits red color and it builds up. It won't be visible for some time, but better safe than sorry!

Lola Laughs

I was hesitant to use henna for that reason, but finally gave in and did it. It did loosen the back sides and front which is looser anyway. But just temporarily, back to normal on the next wash.

Bella_Atl

I used Henna to loosen my texture and it did, but it takes a while. And you have to continue to use it, but I don't have a problem with that. I like the color and all the other pros that come with Henna.

MsLizziA

I used Henna to loosen my texture and it did, but it takes a while. And you have to continue to use it, but I don't have a problem with that. I like the color and all the other pros that come with Henna.
How long did it take to loosen it and how often did you use it?

I am going to start using it every 3 weeks. I just bought 12 boxes today!

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

I know people also tried using coconut milk, yogurt, or lime juice to naturally relax the hair. Henna didn't relax anything for me. Bentonite clay did but it didn't last. Be careful with henna though because if it doesn't agree with you your hair will be stuck with it until you grow it out.

jamaraa

How long did it take to loosen it and how often did you use it?

I am going to start using it every 3 weeks. I just bought 12 boxes today!

That's probably too often to use it, but you might try it twice over a 6 week period to see what happens. Henna can be very drying even when you aren't using acid and it builds each time you use it....1x per month is probably best. :yep:

mstar

Luxury bacon
I used henna to loosen my texture. I didn't intend to (I started using it for color, thickness, and strength), but the loosening happened immediately, and it's been like that ever since. I went from a 4b/c to a 4a. I liked the look, so I kept doing it.

I used Lush henna (Caca Rouge), and I did the treatment once a month.