*LHCF Class of 2003 - Reunion*

kizzylonghair

Ladies,

I was going through some old posts, and I read some of the asipirations and goals of members who joined in 2003.
Its will just about be 2 Years for you guys.
I am approaching my first Hair anniversary and I am happy with my progress but I think I now I have found all my staples I really need another year to really gain some length. I cant wait to see how long it is.

So CLASS OF 2003, Where are you?
I wanna hear all the stories from Relaxed, Natural, Trans whether GOOD or BAD

Have you reached your goals?

What has helped you gain length?

Any Encouraging words for us Newbies?

What would you do differently?

Has your life changed?

Are you still growing or happy with your length?

Let me know ladies?

Thanks

Kizzy

Marseeya

kizzylonghair said:
Ladies,

I was going through some old posts, and I read some of the asipirations and goals of members who joined in 2003.
I am approaching my first Hair anniversary and I am happy with my progress but I think I now I have found all my staples I really need another year to really gain some length. I cant wait to see how long it is.

Has your life changed?

Let me know ladies?

Thanks

Kizzy

:weird: Yes, I'm in the LHCF Class of 2003 (NOV/Dec.)
I'm technically relaxed, though I call it texturized b/c it's not Bone straight at all. I tried transitioning but just couldn't deal with the detangling of my roots.

I haven't quite met my bra strap goal..Though I'm very very close by a couple inches close. I had a bad set back.

Surprising, I think what has helped me gain length is covering my ends on a daily basis. (Drawstring ponytail) . A clean scalp, and Conditioning with and without heat. Oh, And re-reading my hair journal to see what was working.(being I'm a PJ, and don't stick to one product very long. I have to do a reality check)

I want to Encourage Newbies by simply saying: Be patient and stay consistent with protecting your ends. no matter what method you use to keep them moisturized and healthy.

The one thing I would've done differently is not fall into my lazy mode and practically gave up for 5 months of really caring for my hair.

Yes, my life has changed for the better! I never thought I could achieve the length I have now; but It's a fantastic feeling to know growing long hair is achievable;). As a small child my hair wouldn't grow to shoulders, I would pretend to have long hair by wearing my shirts hangin off my head:lachen: (dang I wanted it bad!)

I'm Still growing and Happy with my length. Thanks for asking Kizzy:)

LHCF HAPPY HAIR GROWING
Marseeya

karezone

kizzylonghair said:
Ladies,

Has your life changed?

Let me know ladies?

Thanks

Kizzy

I am still relaxed.
I am no where near goal.
I have 0 retention :ohwell:
Kepp going for it, don't slip into old habits, and keep away from the threads about the new miracle products.
I would rewind time and kill my Pjism at its roots I would proably be at bra strap if I was not a PJ. :mad:
Yes my life has changed. I think that overall I am in better condition. If nothing else LHCF has made me serious about my vitmains and water.
Well yesterday I lost a lot of hair due to breakage and shedding from the highlights I put in in February. I have plenty of new growth thanks to vitamins, boiled egg whites and pomada de azufre. But almost cried when I saw how much hair was coming out of my head.

And still I grow and try to keep length

DatJerseyDyme

OOH OOH! ME ME!

I am relaxed and I have reached my first goal and am well on my way to my second.

I really think that consistensy and simplicity have been the keys to me reaching my goals :)

My advice would be to find what works for you and remember it, but still have fun and try other things. If I could do anything differently, I probably never would've purchased a blowdryer. It becomes addicting and takes will-power to not use it.

The only way my life has changed is that it takes forever to wash and style my hair. I am still growing, but hope to stop some time next year. My final goal is THICK between waistlength and bra strap, so I"ll probably grow to waist or somewhere close and then cut it back up to my final goal.

You can see my 3 year progress in my album as well as in my siggy. The pics are October 2003, September (I believe 2004) and October 2003.

DJD

Nanyanika

interesting thread.....i would post but, i joined in 2002, so that excludes me from the discussion.

kizzylonghair

Marseeya said:
:weird: Yes, I'm in the LHCF Class of 2003 (NOV/Dec.)
I'm technically relaxed, though I call it texturized b/c it's not Bone straight at all. I tried transitioning but just couldn't deal with the detangling of my roots.

I haven't quite met my bra strap goal..Though I'm very very close by a couple inches close. I had a bad set back.

Surprising, I think what has helped me gain length is covering my ends on a daily basis. (Drawstring ponytail) . A clean scalp, and Conditioning with and without heat. Oh, And re-reading my hair journal to see what was working.(being I'm a PJ, and don't stick to one product very long. I have to do a reality check)

I want to Encourage Newbies by simply saying: Be patient and stay consistent with protecting your ends. no matter what method you use to keep them moisturized and healthy.

The one thing I would've done differently is not fall into my lazy mode and practically gave up for 5 months of really caring for my hair.

Yes, my life has changed for the better! I never thought I could achieve the length I have now; but It's a fantastic feeling to know growing long hair is achievable;). As a small child my hair wouldn't grow to shoulders, I would pretend to have long hair by wearing my shirts hangin off my head:lachen: (dang I wanted it bad!)

I'm Still growing and Happy with my length. Thanks for asking Kizzy:)

LHCF HAPPY HAIR GROWING
Marseeya

Marseeya

Well done for sticking with your challenge. Your hard work has paid off

‘As a small child my hair wouldn't grow to shoulders, I would pretend to have long hair by wearing my shirts hangin off my head (dang I wanted it bad!)’

OMG LOL You used to do that too :laugh:

Now what I do is tilt my head back and rub and my hair against my back (Whats my excuse now, I am 27!!!!!!!)

kizzylonghair

karezone said:
I am still relaxed.
I am no where near goal.
I have 0 retention :ohwell:
Kepp going for it, don't slip into old habits, and keep away from the threads about the new miracle products.
I would rewind time and kill my Pjism at its roots I would proably be at bra strap if I was not a PJ. :mad:
Yes my life has changed. I think that overall I am in better condition. If nothing else LHCF has made me serious about my vitmains and water.
Well yesterday I lost a lot of hair due to breakage and shedding from the highlights I put in in February. I have plenty of new growth thanks to vitamins, boiled egg whites and pomada de azufre. But almost cried when I saw how much hair was coming out of my head.

And still I grow and try to keep length

Karezone,

Don’t be disheartened :hug:
You should commended on YOUR HONESTLY. Not everyone is going to sail through this journey. I have not and many others will emphasis with you.
The great thing is you still got us and all this info to keep you going.

Good Luck

Kizzy x

kizzylonghair

DatJerseyDyme said:
OOH OOH! ME ME!

I am relaxed and I have reached my first goal and am well on my way to my second.

I really think that consistensy and simplicity have been the keys to me reaching my goals :)

My advice would be to find what works for you and remember it, but still have fun and try other things. If I could do anything differently, I probably never would've purchased a blowdryer. It becomes addicting and takes will-power to not use it.

The only way my life has changed is that it takes forever to wash and style my hair. I am still growing, but hope to stop some time next year. My final goal is THICK between waistlength and bra strap, so I"ll probably grow to waist or somewhere close and then cut it back up to my final goal.

You can see my 3 year progress in my album as well as in my siggy. The pics are October 2003, September (I believe 2004) and October 2003.

DJD

DJD,

I love your hair!!!!!

Well-done girl. I love seeing proof that it can be done. I really cant wait to see where this journey takes me

Kizzy x

kizzylonghair

den1 said:
interesting thread.....i would post but, i joined in 2002, so that excludes me from the discussion.

Den

You are not far from 2003. Go on girl post
Just wanted to hear about 2 years of progress

Kizzy x

Nanyanika

OK Here goes...

After using Robin Woods crown and glory method and taking vitamins, i reached near my waist-length goal, at the end of 2003. i'm currently not waist-length due to past mishaps.

staying consistent with c and g and staying away from hardcore protein, doing conditioner washes, using homemade products, cutting down on shampoo has helped me to achieve this.

Be pateint, consistent, do not use too many products, i hopped different brands all the time and ended up with tangles and breakage.

stop worrying about growth concerntrate on healthier hair.

Has your life changed?

Yes, i'm more educated about hair care, so i don't have many mishaps anymore.

I would prefer my hair to be longer, after a few cuts i'm a little below bra-strap.

hope this helps.

Lovelylocs

Have you reached your goals? I believe that my original goal was armpit. I reached that a while ago! Then, I wanted brastrap. I am currently at bra strap, but not as thick and full as I want it. I am on a journey to midback/waist length now.

What has helped you gain length? Little manipulation, finger combing, getting my retouches on time, and aphogee protein treatments.

Any Encouraging words for us Newbies? You can do it! Don't let anyone tell u that it isnt possible. Don't dye your hair or add any new chemicals to mess u up. If it works, stick with it.

What would you do differently? I wouldnt have dyed my hair.

Has your life changed? Yes, I dont have to worry about how my hair is gonna look.

Are you still growing or happy with your length? Still growing! On my way to waist/midback!

amy1234

yes I reached my goal to be at brastrap length

following a regiment that works for me, being gentle on the hair, and conditioning
you can reach your goals no matter what texture your hair is, patience is key and believing that you will get there
nothing really :p
Has your life changed?
I guess I could say that, when I cut my hair 2 years ago everyone in my day to day life thought that it wouldn't grow back. If I had believed them I would probably opted to wear a weave permanently and my hair would always be short. But since that did not happen, instead everyone is asking what the secret is :confused: or just assumes that its genetics.
I'm still growing, but at the same time happy with my length
:D

pink_flower

Have you reached your goals? My original goal was bra-strap which I reached last Spring '05

What has helped you gain length? Rollersetting, simplicity, moisturizing the ends.

Any Encouraging words for us Newbies? Keep it simple and consistent, there is no miracle product, and take photos.

What would you do differently? I would have started rollersetting earlier.

Has your life changed? Hmmm a little, I'm way more educated on hair care.

Are you still growing or happy with your length? Still growing, now I want mid-back/waistlength.

Last edited:

tasha

Class of 2003 (March/April)

yes -(1st) bra strap (I reached it the begining of this year-I started off at a little past shoulder, but had bad breakage). I am currently a little beyond. I thought I would have reached it earlier (I was a little anxious-but in the process my hair has gotten wonderfully healthy). Nonetheless I am on my way to my 2nd goal (lower back)

Very minumal heat (about 4x a year). Extending my relaxers. Conditioner Washes. Learning what products are best for my hair. Texturizing instead of relaxing.

Start a journal, figure out a regimen that works for you; stick with it and be patient ;)

Taking pictures from the begining. It helps to acknowledge your hard work.

Has your life changed?
Yes, happier with my hair. The breakage I use to experience use to make me sad:( and now I can help guide others to hhh (happier, healthier hair)

Still Growing! As long as we can go :) Or at least till I am at my same length fully texturized.

Last edited:

Country gal

Great thread idea. Looking forward to the ten year anniversary.

Have you reached your goals? Yes but the goals keep changing. At first I didn’t believe my hair could grow long. It always seemed to stay the same length. My first goal was overcoming my own hair hang-ups. The next goal was to achieve healthy, soft hair. My goal now has switched since becoming natural. I want my natural hair to be healthy but longer in appearance. It is hard to see the length unless I stretch my hair.

What has helped you gain length? TLC. I wash my hair frequently. I oil my scalp with olive oil. I do conditioner washes almost daily. I don’t use heat on my hair. When I was younger my hair grew because of low maintenance. I just use the simple principles from youth.

Any Encouraging words for us Newbies? Have clear, realistic goals. Your hair is what it is don’t try to compare it to other members. Your hair is unique and special. I would read many of the old archived information. Many of your questions have already been answered. Don’t spend so much time obsessing about long hair. Enjoy learning and taking care of your hair. So many black women are addicted to their styles. I learn how to take care of my hair. Going to the stylist is a treat not a necessity.

What would you do differently? I would have probably gone to my hair stylist more often. It is good to get your hair professionally done. This board is overwhelmingly informative to the point that it can be a disservice. Your head starts spinning from all the advice and product recommendations. I plan on going to the salon at least once a month to service my natural hair. I am feeling really bored with my hair styles and I hope to get more style ideas.

Has your life changed? My perceptions of hair have changed dramatically for the better since becoming a member in Oct 03. I use to think black women had limited hair length potential. I realize that I was allowing negative stereotypes of black hair cloud my judgment. I remember being really obsessed with growing my hair long. I would always say I want long hair. I would get compliments on my hair but always downplay it by saying I wished I had longer hair. I realize that I am beautiful with or without long hair. Becoming natural has given me freedom to give up old myths of what is beautiful and desirable.

Are you still growing or happy with your length? My hair has really grown since becoming natural. Of course I wish it was much longer but I am learning to accept my hair. I would love for my natural 4a hair to be at least shoulder length in its natural state.

Last edited:

luvSLave

Cute post idea! I found LHCF in '03 while looking for tips on self care since I was having trouble finding a stylist.

Have you reached your goals? My initial golas weren't related to length, but health and style. My hair is the healthiest I can remember, and what's more, I can tell when something is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. As for style, it doesn't always look salon-finished, but people just as frequently think I "got it done" when I've done it myself.

What has helped you gain length? I don't know that anything has helped me gain, but improving my hair's health has helped me retain. I was so used to hair being everywhere when I combed it that I thought that much breakage was normal. Learning about the delicate balance between protein (which I'd never used) and moisture was sooookey for me. Also, learning how not to abuse my hair with chemicals and heat has helped immensely. I knew those things were bad, but didn't know what to do about them. Now I can extend my relaxers with minimal problems and I'm able to style my hair in cute braidouts and rollersets that my hair thanks me for.

Any Encouraging words for us Newbies? Be patient. Your hair is always growing so half the battle is already won.

What would you do differently? Nothing. My missteps have taught me the most important lessons about my hair.

Has your life changed? Well, I don't think hair can change your life, but I do feel empowered by the fact that I'm not dependent upon a stylist to look good.

Are you still growing or happy with your length? Still growing. I started with a short cut (2-4 inches) and initially was maintaining it. After a while I started letting it grow out and am now almost at armpit in the back. My goal now is for the front and sides to catch up.

KathyMay

This is great thread. I am proudly representing the class of 2003, I joined in December of 03.

Have you reached your goals?-NO but I am getting there just reaching shoulder length. I had to get my hair healthy first which it is now

What has helped you gain length? Protective styles, baggie method, stretching relaxers, deep conditioning, moisturizing hair every day and MTG (yeah I had to throw that in there)and staying away from SHS.

Any Encouraging words for us Newbies? Don't ever give up!

What would you do differently? 2004 was a bad hair year for me I had to learn about healthy hair first while achieving length. every relaxer I received ( stretched 3 months) my SHS would cut it every time won't do that again. I had a partial weaves but I would get my hair relaxed at the same time and that was too much for my fragile hair. After my last weave in 2004 I realize that I needed to braid my hair to give it a rest. The results are amazing my hair is much more healthier now then it was a year ago.

Has your life changed? yes I am aware of how my diet effects my health and hair. I take my vitamins for both and have more energy.

Are you still growing or happy with your length? I am trying to grow to armpit but I am happy with shoulder length hair

moneychaser

Joined Oct 2003 :lol:
Well Im curently shoulder length do to a recent cut. I finally rid my hair of all that awful color.
I started in 2003 with thin shoulder length hair and since then i have reached bra-strap twice already :grin: .

I have reached one goal of my goals, which was to have THICK healthy hair.

Vitamins, SURGE, and regular protein treatments

Dont give up! Consistency pays off!!

I would have never colored last year, and I wouldve dusted more often.

Has your life changed?
YES, my hair has reached lengths I thought were impossible for type 4 hair.

Although I LOVE my new cut, I want it to grow grow grow. I am shooting for waist length for '07

tenderheaded

I'm so glad to see this post! As a newbie, I've given myself 3 years to reach my goal of BSL. I'm currently past shoulder, but I've built in minor setbacks and needed trims.

I can't wait for the remaining class of '03 members to reply!

BLESSED1

kizzylonghair said:
Ladies,

Has your life changed?

Let me know ladies?

Thanks

Kizzy

I had no intentions of being natural until I came to this board :) My hair is still healthy, and I intend to stay natural forever even though these pics of members w/ gorgeous relaxed/texturized hair is mighty tempting...My current goal is to reach BSL as a natural, I got there when I was relaxed and liked that length..Continuing to moisturize, minimal heat usage and protective styles should help me gain length as it worked before. My words of encouragement would be to do as little manipulation as possible, think about guys w/ long hair, they don't do that much yet they get length (I'm so jealous of these dudes :lol: ) The only change in my life is a new sense of "natural awareness", I get a rise when I see another natural-haired sista when before it was like "oh, she has an afro, okay NEXT :lol: My family doesn't like my hair but everyone else does, I get more compliments natural then relaxed. I :love: my 'fro!!!!

Healthb4Length

kizzylonghair said:
Ladies,

Has your life changed?

Let me know ladies?

Thanks

Kizzy

1. Great thread! I am currently texturized, I still have my straight ends (about 2 inches!from the no-lye relaxers and they are driving me nuts!) Other than that I'm progressing nicely.

2. I haven't reached my goals yet but I'm fairly close. I've had several set backs (I've trimmed off a total of 5 inches...excluding this year) I'm about 2 inches away from bra length.

3. Following a variety of methods including the following; Crown & Glory, Cathy Howse's, Baggie trick, doing braidouts and twistouts and ALWAYS moisturizing my ends.

4. My words of encouragement are that you should be PATIENT, learn to understand & LOVE your unique hair texture, don't expect miracles...like going from TWA to bra-length in 6 months:lol: !

5. I probably would have stayed natural if I knew how to handle my natural hair prior to joining this board.

6. My life hasn't really changed, well now I'm a horrible Product Junkie!:lol: But I like the fact that I can rock so many different hair styles without being a slave to hair dressers.

7. I'm still growing! My opinions always change on whether I should stop several inches after bra length or if I should go all out and grow it to waistlength.

Great thread! Just remember to be Patient, find a routine that works for you. There will always be set-backs but if you focus on your goals you will definitely grow your hair to your desired length! Good Luck!:)

LiLi

Have you reached your goals? I have had so many goals and have pretty much reached all of them.

What has helped you gain length? Keeping my own hair braided (not adding any hair), washing frequently, taking my time combing my hair, and not relaxing so often.

Any Encouraging words for us Newbies? DO NOT try to jump on every bandwagon that rolls down the street. If something is working for you ... STICK WITH IT. Your hair is growing so make sure you take care of the precious ends to retain the length. STOP cutting your hair so much.

What would you do differently? Nothing really ... I love learning what works and what doesn't as far as techniques and products are concerned. As far as techniques, I will not try to do anything differently; as far a products, I will always try new products because it's fun. :grin:

Has your life changed? Uh ... no :lol:

Are you still growing or happy with your length? I am happy with my length (4 or 5 inches from my waist) but I am going to wait two more years to see if it will grow any longer.

I have had some setbacks (tangles at the line of demarcation)... mostly due to me trying to change what wasn't broken but I have learned and I now know what works and what doesn't.

It's funny you started this thread because I was just reading a thread from 2003 where I posted a comment that my hair was at the top of my brastrap (unbraided) and now it's way below my brastrap (braided) ... so that says a lot right there. My hair grows very slow but I am okay with that because I have retained a lot of length in the past two years. I love this hair stuff so much ... I wish I could work for like Redken or Paul Mitchell or something.

Victorian

old head
OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! WOOP WOOP! :weird: :weird:
:lachen:

My goals have totally changed since I first started, but technically I did reach my first major goal of bsl. I had planned to be there with relaxed hair, but as it turned out I reached bsl with half relaxed and half natural hair since I was transitioning. When I first joined I had no idea I would be natural by now.
It's funny because my hair is actually about the same length now that it was when I first found LHCF--past apl, but it's completely different because now it's all natural. None of the hair I have on my head now even existed back then :lol:
I also never considered trying to grow to waistlength when I first joined. I was just aiming for bsl. Now I'm on a mission to grow to waistlength.

Just trying not to break it off :lol: Being aware at all times of how my hair is behaving, and responding accordingly asap. When it meant spending a little cash to find a product that performed the way I needed it to, I did so. When it meant going back to my pre-LHCF regimen, I went back. When it meant stopping the use of all my post-wash products in order to find out one by one which product did what to my hair, I did it. Listen to your hair.

The BlackCardinal motto: "Simplicity. Consistency. Growth." Keeping your regimen simple makes it easier for you to stay consistent, and consistency is key if you ever want to have a firm grip on what exactly your regimen is doing for your hair. Which, in turn, means you can be more efficient when you need to tweak your regimen with the changing seasons or changing needs of your hair as it grows. Your attentiveness and diligence will be rewarded with flourishing hair :yep: I used to think I was just a "slow grower," getting only half of the average hair growth rate, but after finally settling on a simple regimen and staying consistent no matter what, my hair just started sprouting out of my scalp and now I get more than the average. It can be done. Just be patient and determined.

Not much. There were some early PJ-crazed purchases I made during my first few months at LHCF that didn't amount to much, but I'm not entirely sure I'd go back and change that; Partly because the initial PJ craze is almost a rite of passage in a way :lol: but also because there have been times when I could give someone else advice about some product that I tried during my buying blitz, even though I no longer use it. Plus I rather enjoyed going to Sally's every weekend :look:

Has your life changed?
I've learned a lot here, not just about hair but also about people in general. I even met some LHCF ladies in person in St. Louis :) And my hair was never a source of entertainment/enjoyment in the past the way it is now. I mean, I get excited when I have a growth update coming up :lol:

Happy AND still growing :) Waistlength here I come!!

kizzylonghair

Ladies,

Thank You :kiss: so much for sharing your journeys with us. I am sure that everyone who has read your posts now feel a little more encouraged. I sure do!

WHERE R THE U OTHER CLASS OF 2003 LADIES!! POST :wave:POST!! :wave:

Ayeshia

The only goal I reached was staying natural....I keep cutting my hair so everything else is irrelevant lol.

CarLiTa

BlackCardinal said:
The BlackCardinal motto: "Simplicity. Consistency. Growth." Keeping your regimen simple makes it easier for you to stay consistent, and consistency is key if you ever want to have a firm grip on what exactly your regimen is doing for your hair. Which, in turn, means you can be more efficient when you need to tweak your regimen with the changing seasons or changing needs of your hair as it grows. Your attentiveness and diligence will be rewarded with flourishing hair :yep: I used to think I was just a "slow grower," getting only half of the average hair growth rate, but after finally settling on a simple regimen and staying consistent no matter what, my hair just started sprouting out of my scalp and now I get more than the average. It can be done. Just be patient and determined.

Wow very inspiring words!!! I will keep that in mind since I am struggling with my hair. Simplicity. Consistency. Growth. I will make my regimen as simple as it once was, and see how things go.

chocolate01

My goal when I first joined was to nurse my edges back to health. I had no intentions what so ever to go natural. Well here I am 2 year later with a head full of natural hair that I love! I did reach my original goal to nursing my edges, they are doing wonderful now, especially now that I no longer relax. I never had any length goals until now so I can't say that I have reached that type of goal. My overall goal was health and to gain more knowledge about haircare. My advice would be don't get so caught up in length. I know this board is geared toward growing longer hair but seriously health is more important,don't sacrifice health for length. I would also like to say (please no one throw stones at me) that at the end of the day it is just hair and in the big scheme of things (life) it's not what is most important please do not get stressed over hair...runs out of thread.