THE BEST OF 2003

AngieK

<font color="brown"> Since we are closing in on year's end, I thought it would be great to start a thread that would highlight the LongHairCare Forum's "BEST OF 2003." This thread would highlight significant personal product finds, methods/techniques, and other discoveries that were accomplished during 2003.

This could include the following categories:

<ul type="square">[*]The Best Shampoo Find(s) of the Year
[*]The Best Conditioner Find(s) of the Year
[*]The Best Drugstore Find of the Year (cheapies that perform well)
[*]The Best Finishing Product of the Year (oils, serums, shine products, styling fixatives, etc.)
[*]Best Personal Hair Care Technique (a technique that you have mastered this year which you feel has contributed to the overall health of your hair, or has helped you to overcome a hurdle)
[*]Best Advice RECEIVED From LHCF
[*]Best Personal Advice You Would Like To Share For The Coming Year (i.e. something significant that represents your biggest accomplishment - - or something significant that you have learned that you feel would help others - or a personal motto)
[*]Hair Resolution For 2004 (for those of us who have any!)
[/list]

Of course, if you can think of any other categories, please add them to the list!

I know that it will take me a little time to compile my list, so I propose that we all take some time to think about it. Then when you are ready, come back to this thread and post your personal "BEST OF 2003" winners.

AngieK
</font>

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Okay so not including the great products I discovered last year:

best shampoo--ElastaQP Creme Conditioning, Kenra Moisturizing
best conditioner--Kenra MC, Kenra IE, 10 en 1
best drugstore find--Pantene R&amp;N
best finishing product--Elucence serious shining spray
best personal technique--apricot kernel oil &amp; keracare oils on the ends
best advice--use pics to keep track of progress
best advice for upcoming year--stick with it! your hair will only get better
hair resolution 2004--to finally reach my goal!

Tracy

Oh this is easy for me so I'll just do it now since I happen to have a free minute!

Best Shampoo: Lanza PP
Best Condtioner: Nexxus Humectress or NACIDIT Olive Oil
Best Drugstore Find: Tie between Strawberries and Cream VO5 and St. Ives Vanilla and Edelwiess.
Best Finishing Product: Still and always - John Frieda Dream Curls.

Best Pers. HC technique - my curls in the summer. I'm still shocked that my hair will do that.

Best advice received from LHCF: Less is more.
Best Pers advice I'd like to share: Less is more.

Hair Resolution: Be extra nice to my hair for the next 6 months - but my 2004 mission is to GET MY COLOR BACK!

katie

best shampoo:Nexxus Therappe
best condit:Aubrey Jojoba Aloe Conditioner and UANS Crema
best drugstore find:VO5 Strawberries n Cream
best finishing product:Loreal Smooth Intense Serum
best personal technique:airdrying with Loreal Serum and leave-in conditioner.No heat saved my hair!
best advice:too much great advice to single out one
best personal advice:ditto on what Supergirl said
hair resolution:to grow as long as I can!

brwnskingirl

best shampoo:still looking
best conditioner:aubrey Organics GPB
best drugstore find: garnier frutics Deep conditioner
Best finishing product:John freda Hair serum for relax hair
best personal technique:air drying in a bun with baggie
best advice: Protecting my ends was the best thing I could have done for my hair. thanks adrienne
best personal advice:give up the heat,if you are just starting out with this hair thing, giv eup the heat for now until your hair gets back its strength and then use heat only when neccessaryI tried everything and nothing seem to have worked until I totally gave up on curling irons blow dryers and and flat irons. I only use heat to deep condion.
hair resolution: didnt think of one yet. I try not to worry too much I will just stick on this path and see what happens.

patticake

THE BEST SHAMPOO: Elasta QP creme conditioning, Pantene Smooth &amp; Sleek

THE BEST CONDITIONER: Pantene Smooth &amp; Sleek

THE BEST DRUGSTORE FIND: Suave Naturals Lavendar Shampoo and Conditioner, Elasta QP Recovery

THE BEST FINISHING PRODUCT: Hot Six Oil

THE BEST PERSONAL HAIR CARE TECHNIQUE: frequent condition only washes; ponytail rollerset (this has really reduced the need to use a curling iron so often)

BEST ADVICE RECEIVED FROM LHCF: definitely to avoid scissor happy styilsts!!!!!!!!

HAIR RESOLUTION FOR 2004: to stretch my relaxers to at least 10-12 weeks(i've gone 12 weeks before with no problem, but lately i've been back to my every six week visits for some reason)

joyous

Best shampoo: Kenra moisturizing shampoo
Best conditioner: 10 en 1, LUST
Best protein conditioner: Jheri Redding Res Q
Best drugstore find: VO5 Strawberries n Cream, Vo5 Blueberries n Cream
Best Leave-In: Surge
Best personal technique: wet-bun airdrying, no-heat
Best advice received from LHCF: conditioner washes, distilled water rinses, how to shampoo properly
Hair resolution: continue wearing bun for entire year, no heat for entire year

Excellent thread Angie.

LABETT

Best Shampoo- L'Anza Protein Plus (old formula)
Best Conditioner-LUST,1O en 1
Best Protein conditioner-Dudley DRC 28-Joico Kpak
Best Drugstore Find-Garnier Fructis
Best Finishing Product-Loreal Vive serum
Best Personal Technique-Less Heat-Phonytails-Rollersetting
Best advice From LHCF- Stretching Relaxers-Distilled water
Hair Resolution-Reach hair goal in BRA STRAP LENGTH

BEST PRODUCT FIND OF THE YEAR SURGE

Kaela

Best Shampoo Find of the Year
**Redken Extreme Shampoo**

Best Conditioner Find of the Year
**Nexxus Humectress** (when used with care, works very well)
**Neutral hennalucent treatment**

The Best Drugstore Find of the Year
**L'Oreal Kids Shampoos** (very moisturizing, candy scent)

The Best Finishing Product of the Year
**Jojoba Oil, Giovanni Leave In, Salon Selectives Loosely Defined**

Best Hair Tools Finds
**Jilbere Flat Iron and Denman Hair Brush

Best Personal Hair Care Technique
**I'd have to say two separate things: finally learning how to airdry my hair curly by far made me the happiest. Learning how to detangle better and air dry nearly straight in buns and bantus has been the next best thing**

Best Advice RECEIVED From LHCF
**Using the nozzle tipped bottle as a way to shampoo scalp only
**Instructions on how to hot oil on dry hair
**Airdrying instructions

Best Personal Advice
**Don't rely on quick fixes to get your hair to grow...concentrate on keeping it on your head by using good care techniques: silk scarf at night, quality hair brushes, combs, accessories, patience when detangling, and babying your edges and ends.
**Supplements are great but there is no substitute for a good diet and healthy lifestyle.
**Finally, there a lot more things to stress over then your monthly hair growth...keep busy with other things and it'll happen w/o you realizing it.

Hair Resolution For 2004
**Keep using the products that work for me and cut down on expensive experimentation--get samples whenever possible

Isis

Best shampoo: Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo
Best conditioner: Nexxus Humectress
Best protein conditioner: Nexxus Humectress
Best drugstore find: Suave Clarifying Shampoo
Best Leave-In: Nexxus Headress
Best personal technique: pony-tail rollerset method of airdrying, no heat, French Twists &amp; side buns
Best advice received from LHCF: detangling under shower, MSM, bun challenge, using vaseline to seal ends, scalp massages
Hair resolution: to continue wearing protective styles most of the time, using no heat, keeping my hair and ends very moisturized, doing scalp massages and Yoga exercises

A_Christian

Best Shampoo: Kera Care Hydrating Detangling
Best Conditioners: Protein; Joico K pack Deep Penetrating Reconstructor, Aubrey Organics GPB
Moisturizing; Kera Care Humecto, Kenra Moisturizing, Lustrasilk Cholesterol with Aloe
Best Drugstore Find: Vitamins
Best Finishing Product: Kera Care Essential oils for the Hair are outstanding, Kera Care Creme Hairdress (softens hair like a dream), Bioloage Leave-In Tonic as a moisturizer on new growth and ends and to give the style a little shine
Best Personal haircare Technique: Rollersetting
Best Advice from the forum: To use protein conditioners followed by deep moisturizing conditioners (I'd never heard of a protein conditioner before I discovered the forum)!
Best Personal Advice I'd like to share: I don't care too much for "formal" exercise, but dancing around to my cd's about 3 times a week for an hour or so (in addition to drinking more water and taking msm) seems to be making my hair grow extremely fast.
Hair Resolution for 2004: To stay committed to relaxing no more than 4 times during the year (every 3 months).

BamaFro

The Best Shampoo Find(s) of the Year : Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo

The Best Conditioner Find(s) of the Year : Aveda Cherry Almond Bark Reconstructing Conditioner

The Best Drugstore Find of the Year (cheapies that perform well) : Mane 'N Tail Conditioner

The Best Finishing Product of the Year (oils, serums, shine products, styling fixatives, etc.) : Bumble and Bumble Leave-in Conditioner

Best Personal Hair Care Technique (a technique that you have mastered this year which you feel has contributed to the overall health of your hair, or has helped you to overcome a hurdle) : the two dookey/french braids, with a perfect part in the middle and big ol' poofy bands or two smaller braids in the front . . .

Best Advice RECEIVED From LHCF : none as of yet . . . i haven't been too active on the boards yet though.

Best Personal Advice You Would Like To Share For The Coming Year (i.e. something significant that represents your biggest accomplishment - - or something significant that you have learned that you feel would help others - or a personal motto) : "You betta strut ! ! !" LOL

Hair Resolution For 2004 (for those of us who have any!) : No trims whatsoever . . . no hair color whatsoever . . . protective styles as often as possible

inthepink

best shampoo--Kenra Moisturizing
best conditioner--Kenra MC
best drugstore find--Suave Professionals Humectant
best finishing product--CD Mimosa Hair Honey
best personal technique--Moisturizing new growth to line of demarcation with cream based moisturizer
best advice--wear hair up to retain length
best advice for upcoming year--stick with products I know
hair resolution 2004--stop spending so much money on haircare, to stop obsessing, and to exercise

sithembile

best shampoo- Jason jojoba
best conditioner- Affirm 5 in 1, jason's sea kelp
best leave in - profectiv breakfree
best detangler - biolage leave in
best oil - jojoba
best drugstore find- Loreal smoothing intense serum
best finishing product- Loreal smooth intense serum
best personal technique- pony tail air drying
best advice- no more heat!!!
best advice for upcoming year- protect those ends!
Hair resolution - Spend less money and protect my ends.

Lindy

Best shampoo: Tie between Elucence MB and Lanza PP
Best conditioner: Kenra Moisturizing
Best protein conditioner: Nexxus Keraphixx
Best drugstore find: Garnier Fructis 3 min mask
Best Leave-In: Nexxus Headdress
Best Finishing Product: AlfaParf SemidiLino Cristalli Liquidi Serum
Best personal technique: air-drying ALL the time during the summer months, and alternating w/rollersets in Fall/Winter
Best advice received from LHCF: Not to be afraid of water!!
Hair resolution: to be comfortably at bra-strap length by late spring/early summer!!

aqualung

Cool thread!

best shampoo: Keracare hydrating and detangling

best conditioner: Rusk 60 second hair revive

best detangler: Biolage leave in tonic

best drugstore find: Clairol Renewal 5X conditioner for dry/damaged hair

best finishing product: John Frieda relax texture correcting serum

best personal technique: I make a braided wet bun with Surge and Ion straightening conditioner on the new growth and vaseline on the braided ends. The ends stay protected and the new growth is moisturized.

best advice: Bun your hair up and leave it alone!

best advice for upcoming year: Teach yourself how to maintain your own hair without salon services.

hair resolution 2004: I'll start texturizing my hair with PCJ every 6-8 weeks. This will eliminate breakage I've experienced from relaxing too straight and waiting too long to touch up.

The Best Shampoo: Aubrey's JAY Shampoo
The Best Conditioner: Aubrey's Aloe/Jojoba
The Best Drugstore Find: Suave poos and cons and aloe gel
The Best Finishing Product of the Year: ORS Olive Oil Lotion
Best Personal Hair Care Technique: wrapping
Best Advice RECEIVED From LHCF: SLS-free shampoos &amp; essential oils
Best Personal Advice You Would Like To Share For The Coming Year: MPE (Moisturize and protect ends)
Hair Resolution For 2004: Keep hair moisturized, especially the ends. Also to exercise &amp; drink more water.

keewee

best shampoo: creme of nature ultra moisturizing shampoo
best conditioner: lustrasilk herbal cholesterol enriched with carrot oil, lekair cholesterol (peach forumla)
best deep conditioner: organic root stimulator hair mayonnaise
best protein treatment: nutress protein moisturizing pack
best leave in conditioner: infusium 23 for damaged hair
best finishing product: kemi oyl, hollywood olive oil
best moisturizers: elasta qp mango butter, soft and beautiful extra lite creme moisturizer
best gel: fantasia ic hair polisher styling gel
best advice: definitely keep those ends moisturized. pay special attention to your ends cause it's the oldest part of your hair. do conditioner washes. make sure you use a light cheap conditioner such as suave or v05. conditioner washes makes your hair so manageable, and it actually stops shedding and breakage. also, try to go 12 weeks before getting a perm. you will see results a lot faster. i keep my hair sewed up so i'm not really tempted to put a perm in my hair because it's up most of the time
hair goal: to grow my top out and get my sides long and make sure i keep my hair length when it do grow out

jasmin

Of course this doesn’t include my other staples before coming here

best shampoo- Lanza Protein Plus
best conditioner-LUST
Best protein conditioner: Nexxus Keraphix
best drugstore find—N/A yet
best finishing product—N/A yet
best personal hair care technique—UBH moisturizer and keracare essential oil on ends
best advice received from LCHF—Hair drying and washing more frequently
best personal advice: Give up the blow dryer. My hair thicken right back up in a few weeks. Unbelievable.
best hair resolution 2004—To find a few good beauticians or start giving myself a touch up and to stretch relaxer to 10 weeks on a regular basis. I’m just going with the flow. Just want to at least keep the hair that I have as healthy as possible.

Another Resolution: Get rid of the overflow of useless products.

Karonica

BEST SHAMPOO- Optimum Super Protecting Shampoo!

BEST CONDITIONER- Dark and Lovely Cholesterol; Pink Lotion RevitaLEX Conditioner
BEST PROTEIN CONDITIONER-none
BEST DRUGSTORE FIND- Optimum SP Shampoo, D&amp;L Cholesterol, P.L. Conditioner

BEST FINISHING PRODUCT-Hot 6 Oil
BEST PERSONAL HAIR CARE TECHNIQUE- grease it up
(for sheen and moisture retention)
BEST ADVICE FROM LHCF-moisture, moisture, moisture!
BEST PERSONAL ADVICE-If you can't grow it, sew it.

BEST HAIR RESOLUTION-Get back to bra-strap and longer.

Islandgirl

The Best Shampoo of the Year (every year)-Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo

The Best Conditioner Find(s) of the Year: (every year) Keracare Creme Humecto Conditioner, this year Joico K-Pak

The Best Drugstore Find of the Year (cheapies that perform well): S-CURL!!!

The Best Finishing Product of the Year (oils, serums, shine products, styling fixatives, etc.)

Best Personal Hair Care Technique (a technique that you have mastered this year which you feel has contributed to the overall health of your hair, or has helped you to overcome a hurdle): rollersets!

Best Advice RECEIVED From LHCF: protective styles or is it no contact styles? the one where you don't expose the ends of your hair

Best Personal Advice You Would Like To Share For The Coming Year (i.e. something significant that represents your biggest accomplishment - - or something significant that you have learned that you feel would help others - or a personal motto): stay positive!!!! also extend relaxers to avoid overlapping!!!

Hair Resolution For 2004- grow grow grow!!!

BronzeBrown

I've only been posting here for a few months, but I'll add what I've learnt during my time here and also from my veteran (
) boards:

Best shampoo: Dr. Bronners Liquid Castile Soap, still
Best new find: Homemade Rosemary spritz
Best hair care technique: Moisturizing religiously and massaging scalp daily
Best LHCF advice: 1.Wash frequently 2.Seal moisture with a petrolatum-based product 3.Strengthen strands and then protect them
Personal advice: Simplicity is key
Hair resolution for 04: To have my haircare routine completely synchronized - to perfect it.

Ayeshia

The Best Shampoo Find(s) of the Year
Cream of Nature been using it for ten years so its not a find for me

The Best Conditioner Find(s) of the Year
Pantene R&amp;N
The Best Drugstore Find of the Year (cheapies that perform well) VO5 and Garnier 3 min masque

The Best Finishing Product of the Year (oils, serums, shine products, styling fixatives, etc.)
Long Aid Curl Activator Gel

Best Personal Hair Care Technique (a technique that you have mastered this year which you feel has contributed to the overall health of your hair, or has helped you to overcome a hurdle)
Braid outs!!!!!!!! when i had hair of course

Best Advice RECEIVED From LHCF
How to do conditioner washes

Best Personal Advice You Would Like To Share For The Coming Year (i.e. something significant that represents your biggest accomplishment - - or something significant that you have learned that you feel would help others - or a personal motto)
i did a DIY big chop. Im glad my BIG CHOP wasn't a BIG FLOP!!!!!!!!!!!

Hair Resolution For 2004 (for those of us who have any!)
Achieve 5 inches of length by April, take my vitamins and excercise more!

nomadpixi

Thanks for this thread!
# The Best Shampoo Find(s) of the Year (not really a find) Cream of Nature Ultra Moisturizine Formula
# The Best Conditioner Find(s) of the Year Black Strap molases mixed with cheap conditioner you get in hotel bottles (makes hair really shiny)
# The Best Drugstore Find of the Year (cheapies that perform well) Pantene:Relaxed and Natural Conditioner/Straight n Sleek Conditioner
# The Best Finishing Product of the Year (oils, serums, shine products, styling fixatives, etc.) Olive Oil. Hands down best and least expensive. Great for skin cleansing too!
# Best Personal Hair Care Technique (a technique that you have mastered this year which you feel has contributed to the overall health of your hair, or has helped you to overcome a hurdle) Stunned to find out that I can now get a curly do by just scrunching with Pantene Conditioner and Olive Oil! woo hoo! Rocked the pretty curls this summer!
# Best Advice RECEIVED From LHCF most of it! but by far the keeping yoru ends protected, Biotin (got crazy growth!) and drinking more water.
# Best Personal Advice You Would Like To Share For The Coming Year (i.e. something significant that represents your biggest accomplishment - - or something significant that you have learned that you feel would help others - or a personal motto) Gotta Dance! all exercise is great but dance is my personal favorite. I've been doing belly dance for the last 7 years and I'm CRAZY about it! find your most fun way to exercise and stick to it. Makes everything work better. Even your hair.
# Hair Resolution For 2004 (for those of us who have any!)
To see my hair grow to then past bra strap so I can cut off stragly ends without feeling like I lost the battle. (4 more inches to go!) NO SCISSOR HAPPY STYLISTS EVER AGAIN!

caress

The Best Shampoo Find(s) of the Year – Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo

The Best Conditioner Find(s) of the Year – Kenra Intensive Emollient, Redken All Soft Conditioner

The Best Drugstore Find of the Year – Aussie Moist Conditioner (discovered this years ago though)

The Best Styling Product of the Year - Redken So Long Heat Treat

The Best Finishing Product of the Year – KMS Silker 2-in-1 Styling Crème

Best Personal Hair Care Technique – Fewer trims, which allow me to retain more growth. I believe I am able to go without trims because of using a good heat protectant.

Best Advice RECEIVED From LHCF – Though I learned this from other great hair forums in the past, I can say the best advice was to use a moisturizing conditioner after a protein conditioner and to keep my ends moisturized and protected.

Best Personal Advice You Would Like To Share For The Coming Year – Remember that what works for one person may not work for you. Learn what types of products and what ingredients work best for your hair and stick with those.

Hair Resolution For 2004 – To learn exactly what MY hair needs and stick with those products that will fulfill those needs. I’d also like to be able to know when my hair needs certain things… like when it needs clarifying instead of just doing it before and after a relaxer.

bimbabe

best shampoo:Nexxus Therappe/Soft Sheen Carson Breakthru
best condit:Aubrey Tie for Protein- Joico K Pak, Aubrey GPB
Moisturizing: Nexxus Humectress, Design Essentials Stimulations, Lust.
best drugstore find:pantene R&amp;N Conditioner
best leave in:profective Damage Free/Breakfree
best finishing product:Kemi Oyl
best moisturizer: Profective Root Health, Elasta QP Mango Butter.
best personal technique:Air drying for the most part and then smoothing out with a blow dryer on medium heat for 2 minutes.
best advice: STAY AWAY from those darn Scissor Happy Heffas. Moisturize Moisturize Moisturize!
best personal advice: Grow Hair from the inside out for maximum growth. Exercise, nutrition vitamins and a strong mindset beats any product.
hair resolution: to wash twice a week faithfully AND exercise frequently.

Nyambura

surfer girl
<ul type="square"> [*] <font color="brown"> The Best Shampoo Find(s) of the Year - </font>L'Anza Protein Plus (old formula); Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo
[*]<font color="brown">The Best Conditioner Find(s) of the Year - </font>None. Discovered Elucence last year and Aubrey's the year prior.

[*]<font color="brown">The Best Drugstore Find of the Year (cheapies that perform well)- </font>DISTILLED WATER!
Hot Six Oil, Wonder 8 Oil, vaseline

[*]<font color="brown">The Best Finishing Product of the Year (oils, serums, shine products, styling fixatives, etc.) - </font>WGO
and Elucence Serious Shining Spray, L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Unfrizz Taming Creme, jojoba oil

[*]<font color="brown">Best Personal Hair Care Technique (a technique that you have mastered this year which you feel has contributed to the overall health of your hair, or has helped you to overcome a hurdle) - </font>daily conditioner washes definitely improved the condition of my hair and finding the combination of leave-ins to keep my hair moisturized yet strong and shiny.

[*]<font color="brown">Best Advice RECEIVED From LHCF - </font>Wow...um there's no way I could fit it all into this post! Coloring maintenance advice from Tracy, Supergirl's advice to stay away from scissor happy stylists (SHS's), extreme hair care and maintenance hair care from Mahalia Lee, advice of all kinds from Jade 21 but personally, the one that helped the most was the encouragement I received last year from MsChiChi and Jade when I was about to give up the journey because I believed that fine hair couldn't grow past shoulder length. Whether these ladies know it or not, they gave me the determination to carry on with this, for which I am grateful. (Now if I could just get past my current length!
)

[*]<font color="brown">Best Personal Advice You Would Like To Share For The Coming Year (i.e. something significant that represents your biggest accomplishment - - or something significant that you have learned that you feel would help others - or a personal motto) - </font>The hardest part of the journey isn't the care required but the patience to stick with it long enough to see the results. I'm still learning this one.

[*]<font color="brown">Hair Resolution For 2004 (for those of us who have any!) - </font>find someone to cornrow my hair!
Increase patience and learn to enjoy the journey itself instead of always focusing on the ultimate destination. Set up short-term goals for myself so I can see and feel that I'm progressing. [/list]

Peachtree

Well, I have to list my bests for relaxed &amp; transitioning, being that I decided to transition mid yr

Relaxed, Shampoo: Motions Lavishing (still)
Transitioning: Con regular formula

Relaxed, Conditioner: Motions Moisture Plus
Transitioning: Tie between Lustrasilk Aloe &amp; Pantene (Hydrating Curls &amp; S&amp;S)

Relaxed, Drugstore Find: VO5 Hot Oil Moisture Formula
Transitioning: Tie between VO5 Detangle &amp; Shine Leave In &amp; Biolage Leave In Tonic (Biolage isn't cheap, but I did purchase it from a drugstore
)

Relaxed, Finishing Product: Hot 6 Oil (still)
Transitioning: Tie between Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel &amp; Proclaim Activator Gel

Relaxed, Hair Care Technique: BRAID &amp; TWIST OUTS !!!!!!
Transitioning: Pre-poo conditioner treatment

Relaxed, Received LHCF Advice: Conditioner washes &amp; rinses
Transitioning: Always keep demarcation line moist to minimize breakage

Relaxed, Advice to share: Distilled water is a must when moisturizing!
Transitioning: Find a very slick, slippery, moisturizing conditioner &amp; leave in to keep tangles at a minimum.

Hair Resolution:
1) Continue using an ~Absolutely No Heat~ regimen

2) Continue to love the natural hair that God bless me with