Ladies Who Twist ......Please Enter and Advise

Carrie A

I finally have enough hair to twist.

I have never braided, cornrowed, or twisted my hair.

Two strand or three strand?
Wet or Dry?
I twist with _______. (fill in blank)
Part section size for medium twists.
How long does it take?
How long do they last?
You Tube or blog tutorial recommendations (no extensions).

Anything you feel like answering would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ladies.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
Two strand or three strand? Two strand
Wet or Dry? When my hair was shorter I liked doing it on wet but now I'm partial to damp or dry twists. It shows more length
I twist with _Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream______. (fill in blank). Its the one thing that I always stick with while changing gels, oils, etc.
Part section size for medium twists. I usually quarter my hair and work from there
How long does it take?This depends on the style and how long your hair is. Right now, twisting my hair can take 2-3 hrs
How long do they last?It depends on what I use but they can last usually a week or two, depends on how my scalp feels

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Two strand or three strand?
Wet or Dry? I used to do dry but not anymore. With dry I get breakage but more length. Wet they are plump and no breakage.
I twist with shealoe or curls milkshake and castor oil. Sometimes nothing if my hair is wet.
Part section size for medium twists. I never part. I just reach and pull.
How long does it take? Med/Fat twist about 2 hrs. Microtwists 12+ hrs.
How long do they last? Once I wash them they are practically dead. So about a week. I wear them for two but they don't look as good as the first week.

oooop2

Two strand or three strand? Two
Wet or Dry? Damp
I twist with whipped shea butter and aloe gel. Then seal w/ castor oil. (fill in blank)
Part section size for medium twists. I just grab and twist. Part w/ fingers. How long does it take? About 1hr
How long do they last? 1 week. Twistout 4 days.
You Tube or blog tutorial recommendations (no extensions). I have pics of my twist and shea butter mix in my fotki album.

I also spritz my twists 2x/day w/ a rosemary-sage mix. I then apply small amt of castor oil to my hair. This maintains the moisture of my twist and promotes growth.

E. Princess

Wet or Dry? Damp
I twist with castor oil OR shealoe (Shea butter mixed with aloe vera gel and oil)
Part section size for medium twists. I use the grab and twist method. Just try to grab the same about of hair for each twists.
How long does it take? 2-3 hours.

Jetblackhair

Two strand or three strand? 2
Wet or Dry? Both but mostly wet.
I twist with VS Styling Creme & Grapeseed Oil; Shea Butter & Vatika Frosting, sometimes adding a little IC Gel. I have a few combos.
Part section size for medium twists. I grab & twist.
How long does it take? 45-60 minutes
How long do they last? I only do my twists for twist-outs, so I only keep them in 2 days at most.

You Tube or blog tutorial recommendations (no extensions).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kvbSDGwPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppTah1d3I8I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNuNA_e_ct0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQBqWwwHrio

Last edited:

curlmama

Wet or Dry? Wet
I twist with Hairveda Almond Glaze
Part section size for medium twists.
How long does it take? 1 hour (my hair is thin)
How long do they last? I wear them for 2-3 weeks under my half wig or if I am wearing them out for about 1-2 weeks, then twist out for a few days using tranistioners tonic (by Kinky-curly) to refresh them a bit daily.

Dee Raven

Wet or Dry? Damp
I twist with Vatika oil, or some other oil. (fill in blank)
Part section size for medium twists. I part my hair in halves, and then each half I part into 3 sections so I don't have to comb as much all at once.
How long does it take? If I'm focused about 2 - 3 hours.
How long do they last? I usually keep them in a week, the smaller they are the longer they keep, I've noticed. Also, a new trick that I just started is to always pull my hair into a bun in the shower and that really, really cuts down on the frizz. Doing that I can definitely go a week and a couple days without much frizz.

Carrie A

Thanks ladies. What is the best combination for reducing frizz? A butter +gel. An oil + cream. oil +gel????

What are your thoughts?

Bigghair

I finally have enough hair to twist.

I have never braided, cornrowed, or twisted my hair.

Wet or Dry? Dry
I twist with Alma and Olive Heavy Cream. (fill in blank)
Part section size for medium twists. ?
How long does it take? I do small twists most of the time so it takes 6 to 8 hours.
How long do they last? 2 weeks. They could last longer but I get bored.
You Tube or blog tutorial recommendations (no extensions). See my album for pictures.

Anything you feel like answering would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ladies.
Good luck with the twisting. My tip for you is if your hair is fine do smaller twists.

Junebug D

Wet or Dry? Dry
I twist with _______. (fill in blank) shea butter
Part section size for medium twists. grab 'n twist
How long does it take? 2 hours for medium size. Avatar size takes 4 hours.
How long do they last? About a week. My hair dries out & frizes up so quickly though, they start looking sorta rough on day 4, non-presentable after day 7.

mscocoface

What do you think about a product containing beeswax for twisting. Has anyone ever tried that?

I stay away from beeswax when twisting. Not sure about others but that is a major product build up for me.

I make sure I sprtiz them every day or at least the roots and ends and when I take them down if I have not added hair extensions the hair is wet or full of oil so that the twists come down easily.

I never untwist on completely dry hair. Even my twist outs my hair is just a tad damp or moist. Not too much though.

Kay.Dee

Two strand or three strand? two is easier and faster
Wet or Dry? damp
I twist with eco styler gel and avocado butter
Part section size for medium twists. I try to make straight horizontal lines, and do the brick laying thing. But I think I'd going to start just grabbing and twisting
How long does it take? about 3 hours
How long do they last? I've only left them in for 2 weeks but I think I can go longer
You Tube or blog tutorial recommendations My natural hair care

JustKiya

Wet or Dry? Dry, stretched hair.
I twist with _______. (fill in blank) A homemade butter, oil & conditioner mix. I used to use Oyin's Whipped Pudding, or ORS Lock & Twist Gel.
Part section size for medium twists. I let my hair dry in three parts - one from ear to ear, and the other from the ear to ear part to my forehead. The back section (ears to nape) get parted straight across, 3 to 4 rows, about 4 to 5 twists in a row. The two front sections get parted straight across following the ear to ear part, and the number of twists vary based on the length of the row - my shortest row will have two, and the longest row will have four. :lol: If that didn't make any sense, I can dig up a picture to show my partings.
How long does it take? I can do them in about 1.5 to 2 hours, now.
How long do they last? One week.

Carrie A

Wet or Dry? Dry, stretched hair.
I twist with _______. (fill in blank) A homemade butter, oil & conditioner mix. I used to use Oyin's Whipped Pudding, or ORS Lock & Twist Gel.
Part section size for medium twists. I let my hair dry in three parts - one from ear to ear, and the other from the ear to ear part to my forehead. The back section (ears to nape) get parted straight across, 3 to 4 rows, about 4 to 5 twists in a row. The two front sections get parted straight across following the ear to ear part, and the number of twists vary based on the length of the row - my shortest row will have two, and the longest row will have four. :lol: If that didn't make any sense, I can dig up a picture to show my partings.
How long does it take? I can do them in about 1.5 to 2 hours, now.
How long do they last? One week.

Me need pic-ture :perplexed

JustKiya

:lachen: Gimme a minute.....

Here is a side view - this is an old picture, and I part more 'straight' across the back of my head, rather than arching like this one is. This would be the ear to ear part, though.

And here is the top view...this part stops when it meets the ear to ear part.

This is a back view, just to give you an idea of the style.... sorry it's so out of focus

I was doing a LOT more twists then - easily double to triple the number that I'm doing now.

I've really been slacking on the hair, as I've been wearing the new incarnation of this style for at least two months, and don't have a SINGLE picture. :nono: I'll have to take a full head one on Monday to give you an idea of how I do it.

The reason I let my hair dry that way is because it's MUCH easier for me to part my hair while it's wet - I fine tune the parts after they dry, but the initial huge partings would be a misery to try to do on dry hair. The smaller partings in the twists I don't have to worry about being 'perfect', so I part them as I go along.

I normally wear my twists up, but I can do the same parting and leave them down, too. Still not quite long enough to suit my style, but I'm getting there.

Last edited:

rsmith

Two strand or three strand? I always do two strand

Wet or Dry? I do my twist on damp hair.
I twist with. My hair is fine. So I dont like to wear it down with a lot of products. I mix castor oil and aloe vera gel. I only put it on the ends. However, I do seal my hair with castor oil or coconut oil

Part section size for medium twists. I dont part, I just grab hair. I do the mini twist.

How long does it take? It usually takes me about 3 and a half hours
How long do they last? They can last for three weeks. However, I usually take them down the after 14days.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm hoping to learn how to make some decent looking twists. If I can do that and leave my hair alone, I think I can be OK.:rolleyes:

RMichelleM

Two strand or three strand?I]two
Wet or Dry?i usally spray with water so damp
I twist with _______. (fill in blank) a leave in conditioner(giovanni) and sealing oil(coconut)...i don't like to use gel anymore
Part section size for medium twists. i don't part i just grab and go
How long does it take?about an hour
How long do they last? i keep them in 1-2 weeks

productjunkie814

Wet or Dry? Damp hair
I twist with loads of different things! Miss Jessies Baby Buttercreme or Buttercreme; ORS Lock and Twist Gel; lately I've been doing them with shea butter and gel on the endsPart section size for medium twists.
How long does it take? About 2.5-3 hours...grr
How long do they last? I wear the twists for about a week and a half, and wear a twist out for a few days, DC, wash, and retwist.

ShaniKeys

Two strand or three strand? Two strand twists
Wet or Dry? Wet
I twist with a hair oil in the summer and a hair butter in the winter
Part section size for medium twists. I also quarter my hair.
How long does it take? 1 to 3 hrs maximum
How long do they last? 1-2 weeks
You Tube or blog tutorial recommendations Check out her videos http://www.youtube.com/user/RusticBeauty , she always does two strand twists.

msmills2U

Wet or Dry? Damp hair
I twist with ORS Lock and Twist Gel, a dap of Fantasia gel and seal with a dime size of Sebastian Wet for super shine and it locks in my twist without making my hair feel sticky or crunchy, I also stretch my hair by wearing it in two ponytails while sleeping.
How long does it take? About 1- 3 hours depends on size
How long do they last? one week...wash and redo

Nonie

Two strand or three strand? Two.

Wet or Dry? Dry.

I twist with _______. (fill in blank) Nada, zilch, nothing.

Part section size for medium twists. I don't do medium. I do small. Not sure how to describe the size.

I now finger part (that's what I used here) because I find wearing straight parts for so long makes them almost permanent and hard to hide when you want to: hair just seems to part and reveal those areas. I finger a messy parting is better concealed when you no longer need it. Although I do like JustKiya's parting method and might just steal the idea or part of it...for the areas I am happy revealing when styling.

How long does it take? About an hour.

How long do they last? 4 weeks is the longest I've worn them w/o redoing one at a time.

You Tube or blog tutorial recommendations (no extensions). I was going to recommend Mook's Hair's Youtube because she uses the same twisting method I do, but she is adding extensions in her vid which you aren't interested in so I'ma be quiet.

anherica

Wet or Dry? Damp/dry

I twist with
shea butter whipped with oil, usually regular castor oil or JBCO, and palm kernel oil.

Part section size for medium twists. I do not part the individual sections anymore. I grab and twist. I do part the major sections off-two sections in front, then a big section in back parted ear to ear. I use the end of a rattail comb for that, and to bust a part in the front for interest.

How long does it take? Depends on the size. Anywhere from 2-10 hours. But, I stretch it out over a few days now. Ultra laziness.

How long do they last? Minimum 2 weeks, maximum 4 weeks. I shampoo, condition, deep condition and whatever else with twists in, if the treatment/process lends itself to that.

LadyKaypnyc

Two strand or three strand? Two strand twists

Wet or Dry? If I want them to hang more, I twist on dry hair, otherwise, I twist on wet hair b/c it makes for a more defined twist out.

I twist with Curls souffle, Qhemet Biologic's Burdock Root Butter Cream, Oyin's Shine and Define, Organic Root Stimulator's Loc and Twist Gel

Part section size for medium twists. I only part the front, and I always do mini twists b/c they last longer.

How long does it take? Mini twists take me about 6-8 hours to do (time includes a few breaks)

How long do they last? 3 weeks, any longer and they start to lock