Naturals: What's your Method for Twisting

Sweet_Ambrosia

Do you twist on dry hair or wet/damp?
Do you part your hair first then twist, or do you just grab and twist?
Do you prefer small twists, medium twists or large/jumbo twist?
What products do you use on your hair when you twist?
How long does it take to twist your hair from beginning to end?

Sorry for all the questions, but I gotta know the ends and outs of "twists" since it will be one of my signature hair styles once my hair is 100% natural. Any other advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
SA

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
Sweet_Ambrosia said:

Sorry for all the questions, but I gotta know the ends and outs of "twists" since it will be one of my signature hair styles once my hair is 100% natural. Any other advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
SA

1) I twist on either wet or dry..depends on how I'm feeling
2) I part first
3)I do medium one
4) I used to use QB Alma and Olive Oil Heavy Cream but now use shea butter w/ a lil jojoba oil
5) Maybe 2-3 hrs..with lots of breaks lol

caligirl

I get my twists done on damp hair. They usually part off rows and then part off boxes in each row to twist. I like small twists. I like Carol's daughter healthy hair butter because it makes my twists smooth and shiny. It takes about 6 hours to twist my hair. I usually leave them in 2-3 weeks. There are a few pics in my fotki of twists.

anherica

I twist on semi dry hair.
I part horizontally with the end of a rat tail comb, then grab and twist the sections.
I prefer medium twists.
While the hair is damp I apply a combo of shea butter and coconut oil very lightly and twist with ORS lock and twist gel.
It takes me 2-3 hours.

I have pictures of them in my album.

chocolate01

Sweet_Ambrosia said:

Thanks!
SA

1.I always twist on dry hair
2.I make horizontal twists and then grab and twist from there
3.I prefer medium twists
4.I use Long Aid Curl Activator Gel
5.My twists usually take 3-4 hrs. I wear them for 3-4 weeks. I put them in a ponytail, a bun, curl them, wear a twistout so I get a lot wear out of them.

mkstar826

supersonic

I twist on dry stretched hair. usually i will wash and condition my hair and then twist it up in big braids or twists and let it air dry. the next day i take down the braids or twists and comb my hair out into a fro and then i start twisting.

I usually part the front with a comb and the back I just part with my fingers and twist. my method is similar to Caligirl. I part the horizontal row first and then part off boxes and twist. I also BRAID at the root...which means each twist starts off as a braid for about 1/2 an inch down and then i turn it into a twist. This helps them hang better and they last longer because it's more secure at the root.

I like small to medium if I'm trying to wear the style for 2 wks or more. I like large twists just for a quick style.

I use Aveda Be Curly as a leave-in the night before so most of the time I don't use anything to twist. Sometimes I might use a little more Be Curly and shea butter while twisting.

4-6 hrs depending on the size

I have lots of twist styles in my album also :)

Last edited:

Cheleigh

Sweet_Ambrosia said:

Thanks!
SA

-I usually twist on damp hair.
-I do both, but my twists look better when I make parts
-I like the look of small twists, but I do medium twists on myself
-It varies, but I try to use non-water based products now, to reduce shrinkage. I have used ORS Twist and Lock Gel, Shea Butter, MHC Sophia Grease, Curls Milkshake. It just depends on what I have handy.
-It takes me about 1.75 hours to twist my hair, parted with medium twists. Shorter time if I grab and go.

Nap2it

Hi!

I like to twist my hair damp

I don't part the back, I just grab and twist. I do part when I get to the front

I usually do medium twists; although small twist would probably look better

I use either Ms Jessie' s Buttercream, shea butter or a shea butter aloe vera gel mix

It usually takes me at least 2 - 3 hours

:)

tkj25

Sweet_Ambrosia said:

Thanks!
SA

1. i almost always twist on wet hair. since i spray my hair everyday this works best for me. i'll do dry twists very occassionally when my hair is longer.
2. i divide my hair into 6 sections, and grab & twist from those.
3. i like medium to smaller, but i find myself doing med-larger as my hair gets longer to save on time:)
4. to twist, usually just a homemade moisturising spray or plain misted water.
5. probably 2-4 hrs, depending on length. i condiioner wash with the twists in & they dont unravel(love that:lachen: ). apply leave-ins/moisture, then braid the twists up to dry/stretch -- extend their life (otherwise can get mad frizzy/mishapen from daily moisture) i redo them every two weeks.