Wet & Wavy Look From A Blow Dried Twist Out?!

ag00

Forgive my ignorance but I had no idea you could get the wet n' wavy look from blow dried hair and ecostyler gel. I've never used gel in my journey so I'm new to the process. I'm just stunned how beautiful and simple the regime is. I found this old video just browsing around the tube.

What she used:
Ecostyler Gel
Argan Oil
Hard bristle Brush

What she did: Parted a section of hair vertically down the scalp, applied ecostyler gel, then argan oil, brushed out hair, then two-strand twisted. Wrapped it up with satin wrap and shower cap. Woke up and untangled the twist with a wet n' wavy.

Last edited:

LdyKamz

Is she natural? If I put that much gel on blow dried hair mine would revert immediately. Came out nice. What part of this technique caused the wet and wavy though? Brushing it out? Because I've never seen 2 strand twist results like this on blown out hair.

GGsKin

Looks relaxed to me.

Is she natural? If I put that much gel on blow dried hair mine would revert immediately. Came out nice. What part of this technique caused the wet and wavy though? Brushing it out? Because I've never seen 2 strand twist results like this on blown out hair.

ag00

She says shes completely natural. It looks just like mine when I blow dry. I think it's the ecostyler gel she uses. It has a holding level of 10 (the max) which would significantly weigh down the hair. That plus the argan oil I'm guessing weighs it down further.

Last edited:

angelhairtype4

I think she is either transitioning from relaxer or she uses a lot of heat, because her ends don't match her new growth. Her new growth was waving up while her ends stayed limp. Besides that though...

I would try it. I'm not sure if she actually blow dried it. One video she says she blow dried. Then next video she's saying that she naturally has a straight texture. I saw simplYonique do a video like that couple years ago, and her hair came out similar, so I think it's possible to achieve without a relaxer. I just to lazy to sit up there and do all those braids then take them down. I got a day off tomorrow though. I'll try it then post results.

LdyKamz

I think she is either transitioning from relaxer or she uses a lot of heat, because her ends don't match her new growth. Her new growth was waving up while her ends stayed limp. Besides that though...

I would try it. I'm not sure if she actually blow dried it. One video she says she blow dried. Then next video she's saying that she naturally has a straight texture. I saw simplYonique do a video like that couple years ago, and her hair came out similar, so I think it's possible to achieve without a relaxer. I just to lazy to sit up there and do all those braids then take them down. I got a day off tomorrow though. I'll try it then post results.

Yes please post pics when you try it. Because I use eco styler - the same one she uses and my hair reverts. I was expecting to see her hair start to wave up a little especially after brushing because your curls clump. I'm also going to search and see if I can find simplYounique's vid.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Very pretty, but I don't use gel so I'm afraid my twists won't hold their shape... I will give it a try one of these days

angelhairtype4

Yes please post pics when you try it. Because I use eco styler - the same one she uses and my hair reverts. I was expecting to see her hair start to wave up a little especially after brushing because your curls clump. I'm also going to search and see if I can find simplYounique's vid.

Ok here are my results. I didn't blow dry. I did this on an old wash n' go. I already had some product in it, so I didn't add anything. I lightly misted with water and of course added gel. I combed each section then braided and wrapped it up. I bantu knotted the ends because I didn't want then looking straight.

untitled 1.png untitled 2.png untitled 3.png untitled 4.png untitled.png

You probably can't tell from picture, but my hair did come out shiny and soft. I was whipping my hair from side to side. Its got good body. I don't know its from the gel or the products I already had in my hair though.

ag00

You probably can't tell from picture, but my hair did come out shiny and soft. I was whipping my hair from side to side. Its got good body. I don't know its from the gel or the products I already had in my hair though.

Your hair looks absolutely AMAZING!! Thanks for showing us!! Also I think I finally figured out the key to this. It must be the combination of the gel and the verticle parting of the hair being braided from the scalp. Did your hair revert or shrink during the day?

Last edited:

angelhairtype4

Your hair looks absolutely AMAZING!! Thanks for showing us!! Also I think I finally figured out the key to this. It must be the combination of the gel and the verticle parting of the hair being braided from the scalp. Did your hair revert or shrink during the day?

Hey just got in the house. No shrinking or reverting. My hair is still moist and shiny with lots of movement. Tonight I'll do 4 braids on each side and see how it holds up.

Anaisin

I did this before but did a twist out w/ eco styler on a 2 day wash n go, unraveled then braided the next day lol. Braided it with SM gel and my hair was shiny, stretched and super moisturized. I re braided every night to continue stretching it and ended up with the "wet and wavy" look. The SM souffle gel makes my hair extra shiny and it's like a moisturizer.

I'm actually willing to repeat that long process because my hair was bomb lol.

LdyKamz

So it looks like the gel must be the way to get it to look like that. I just realized most twist outs don't call for any gel. I'm going to try this weekend if I'm not feeling lazy.

Honey Bee

Also I think I finally figured out the key to this. It must be the combination of the gel and the verticle parting of the hair being braided from the scalp. Did your hair revert or shrink during the day?
No, it's the combination of the gel and the tension from the twists.

Naptural84 does her flexi rod set like this, on dry stretched hair. She doesn't actually blowdry, though. I did it last week and it came out okay... better than my first relaxed flexi set, anyway. :lol:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Has anyone tried her technique using twist like in her video? I'm going to try it using twist but I'm going to use kinky curly curling custard on stretched curlformers hair. I doubt I'll get the same results since kccc may not be heavy enough as eco styler gel.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Ok I did not get the same results as the lady on the video using twist. It was a fail, not picture worthy & it was a big mistake using kccc cuz I just have a head full of white flakes :wallbash:. I should've known better since I already know kccc is funny acting :lol:. I'll try it again doing a scarf braid out using Camille Rose curlmaker :yep:.

GGsKin

Ok I did not get the same results as the lady on the video using twist. It was a fail, not picture worthy & it was a big mistake using kccc cuz I just have a head full of white flakes :wallbash:. I should've known better since I already know kccc is funny acting :lol:. I'll try it again doing a scarf braid out using Camille Rose curlmaker :yep:.

I think you're on to a winner here:yep:. You know I'm gonna want to to see pictures no matter what...:prettyplease:

Honey Bee

Has anyone tried her technique using twist like in her video? I'm going to try it using twist but I'm going to use kinky curly curling custard on stretched curlformers hair. I doubt I'll get the same results since kccc may not be heavy enough as eco styler gel.
You mean a twist out on dry hair with gel? Yeah, I did it last week. (newly natural, I'm doing eerythang lol)

My suggestion: don't use a thick gel. Use something on the thinner side. I used Goddess Curls. If I didn't have that, I woulda diluted some other gel or used that old bottle of Lottabody in the back of the hair cabinet. The idea is, you're 'setting' the twists, so use something more 'setting lotion-like' in thickness.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
You mean a twist out on dry hair with gel? Yeah, I did it last week. (newly natural, I'm doing eerythang lol)

My suggestion: don't use a thick gel. Use something on the thinner side. I used Goddess Curls. If I didn't have that, I woulda diluted some other gel or used that old bottle of Lottabody in the back of the hair cabinet. The idea is, you're 'setting' the twists, so use something more 'setting lotion-like' in thickness.
@Honey Bee ok I think that was my mistake by not diluting the gel. I was trying to go by the video so I was thinking that it needed to be full strength in order to achieve similar results. How did your hair turn out? Did it look wet n wavy? My twist out was super defined but it didn't have that wet and wavy look at all :nono:. I watch a few of her other videos and she has no curl pattern at all so I'm thinking she must have a lot of heat damage. The minute I added the gel, my hair started reverting back to its kinky state. Hers never reverted after using all that gel :lol:.

Honey Bee

@Honey Bee ok I think that was my mistake by not diluting the gel. I was trying to go by the video so I was thinking that it needed to be full strength in order to achieve similar results. How did your hair turn out? Did it look wet n wavy? My twist out was super defined but it didn't have that wet and wavy look at all :nono:. I watch a few of her other videos and she has no curl pattern at all so I'm thinking she must have a lot of heat damage. The minute I added the gel, my hair started reverting back to its kinky state. Hers never reverted after using all that gel :lol:.
Mine started reverting as soon as I applied the gel. It was super defined, not 'wet and wavy'. Tell you the truth, I think that's a sign of healthy hair. :look: If I had done this while texlaxed, it woulda been "wet and wavy". I now have a head full of virgin hair. She uses heat a lot. You be the judge. :look: I personally don't know this yt'ers hair like that to be able to say definitely, though.

Another point might be that she had already used heat (with the blow dry). Did you blow dry to straight-ish before trying it? I didn't.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Mine started reverting as soon as I applied the gel. It was super defined, not 'wet and wavy'. Tell you the truth, I think that's a sign of healthy hair. :look: If I had done this while texlaxed, it woulda been "wet and wavy". I now have a head full of virgin hair. She uses heat a lot. You be the judge. :look: I personally don't know this yt'ers hair like that to be able to say definitely, though.

Another point might be that she had already used heat (with the blow dry). Did you blow dry to straight-ish before trying it? I didn't.
@Honey Bee I used my curlformers to straighten my hair. So my hair was stretched and fairly straight when I made my first attempt. When I applied the gel, my hair started reverting as I suspect it would. I think it will work better doing braids like @angelhairtype4 results. @angelhairtype4 how much gel did you apply to your hair to get your results?

GGsKin

@AbsyBlvd so here is the pic of my scarf braid out. Granted it still doesn't look like the youtuber, but my hair is kinkier then hers :laugh:.

Beautiful. To be fair, unless someone has a much looser texture or heat damage, I don't think another natural is going to get her results (as great as they look)- unless thet've undergone one of those thermal straightening treatment/ process. That anti-reversion on the gel application has me suspicious:sekret:lol.