Japanese Thermal Reconditioning/ Straight Perm

SpiceUpMyHair

I looked everywhere to find an updated thread on this topic. I was wondering does any lhcfer's has experience with this type of perm. I read that its a better alternative then regular relaxers. I am just tired of not being able to maintain my thickness with traditional relaxers. I really don't want to go natural. I get breakage no matter what I do, surprisingly not at this moment. I have asked random people I know about it and all they could say is " don't do it"! I even showed them a blog post from nadege of relaxed hair health blogspot(will post link below) and one girl rudely said "African American hair just don't grow that long", so you know I had to prove her wrong. Then someone said it possess the same health risk as formaldehyde, but I couldn't find anything about that. I am really interested in Gina Rivera of Hair's Talent. I spoke with her over the phone and she wants me to send her some pics for a hair consultation. Before I go through with it I would like to consult with the ladies of LHCF. I want to know what you heard what you know the good, bad and the ugly regarding Japanese reconditioning/thermal.

Relaxed health blogspot
http://relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.com/2012/11/chemically-straightened-healthy-hair-is.html?m=1

Hair 's Talent Youtube
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KzEK1Vrd2jA

My Beauty Marc
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Z9DPK4afp3w&feature=relmfu

Thanks for reading, sorry for the typos I am on my kindle

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

I know mybeautymark from YT gets it done. She's on here too I believe but I can't recall her name. It's a lower Ph than relaxers from what I recall and uses the same thing as curly perms I believe. Don't quote me on that though. You can alway try to get a test strand done to see how you like it. If you go through with it be sure to post pictures.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
What is Japanese Straightening?

Japanese Straightening, also known as Thermal Reconditioning, is a thio-based chemical procedure which uses heat to restructure the hair's protein bond, enabling those with frizzy, curly, or wavy hair to experience permanently straight hair while at the same time preserving the health and improving the feel, texture, softness, & shine, leaving the hair completely manageable.

So, this is a Wave Nouveau with heat.

Last edited:

SpiceUpMyHair

[USER][/USER]Fhrizzball

I know she but I totally forget her lhcf name, hopefully someone remembers and tags her in.
I posted some videos above, I was hoping you guys would watch and given me an honest opinion.

FrazzledFraggle

http://www.oprah.com/style/The-Truth-About-Hair-Straightening-Treatments

Do you wish you had smooth, silky hair? Without wrestling with a blow-dryer? In any weather? Here's what it takes:

If you want something that lasts until your hair grows out...
...thermal reconditioning (also called Japanese straightening) is best for bulky, loose to medium—but not kinky—curls. The hair is saturated with a solution containing a chemical that breaks the bonds that give each strand its shape; it is then rinsed, blow-dried, and meticulously flatironed. Once a neutralizer is applied, the hair is locked into this new, straight configuration. The process can take up to eight hours the first time (depending on length and thickness); touch-ups require three to four hours. For three days after the treatment, you can't get your hair wet or do anything kink inducing (like wear a ponytail), and while your hair will now be sleek and shiny (even after air-drying), you're left with one styling option: bone-straight. Even curling irons or hot rollers won't restore volume or wave. Cost: $500 to $1,500.

...a relaxer can soften coarse, tight curls; it uses strong chemical compounds that break various bonds in the hair. The solution is left on for up to 20 minutes, rinsed, then neutralized. Cost: $50 to $250.

Keep in mind that...since both of these treatments permanently change the structure of the hair, you have to continue them or endure a grow-out period. They contain damaging chemicals, so don't consider either one if your hair is already overprocessed. Tell the stylist everything you've done to your hair in the past two years—bleach and some hennas don't react well with the chemical in thermal reconditioning solutions, and colored hair may be too fragile to handle a relaxer, which is particularly harsh.

If you want something that wears off over two to four months...
...some treatments, like Brazilian straightening (brand names include Brazilian Keratin Treatment and Brazilian Blowout) and Keratin Complex Hair Therapy, smooth the surface of the hair but don't permanently break bonds, so your natural texture gradually returns. The Brazilian treatments, however, have been shown to contain varying amounts of formaldehyde (a carcinogen that poses health risks when inhaled), in addition to keratin protein. The makers of Keratin Complex Hair Therapy say their product uses a "captured form of formaldehyde," and that any formaldehyde gas released during the treatment is below the exposure limit set by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration. (Stylists attest that it does not have the noxious odor of the Brazilian treatments, but independent testing has not demonstrated how much formaldehyde is released during use.) After the product is applied, the hair is blow-dried, then flatironed; the solution stays in the hair until you shampoo three to four days later. These treatments can be done on color-treated hair and are effective on everything from waves to tight curls; they control frizz but maintain some texture and volume. Though you'll still need to blow-dry hair straight, the process will require less effort. Cost: $300 to $600.

Keep in mind that...a treatment containing formaldehyde could compromise your health.

If you want something that will smooth your hair until your next shampoo...
...a deep conditioner controls frizz by restoring moisture to the hair. Work the product from roots to ends, and slip on a plastic shower cap for 10 minutes (it traps heat from your scalp and helps conditioners penetrate the hair's cuticle), then rinse. No marathon salon visits or grow-out period necessary. Cost: $5 to $50 (for a tub of conditioner).
From the October 2008 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/style/The-Truth-About-Hair-Straightening-Treatments#ixzz2P4KUzqhB

Last edited:

FrazzledFraggle

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/people/columns/intelligencer/9233/

Straight to Hell
Why top stylists are ditching last year’s hot hair-straightening treatment.

Much to the distress of women who not long ago had their tresses ironed flat with a Japanese straightening treatment, curly hair is in. The latest slew of trendy salons don’t even offer the treatment (which costs from $200 to $700), not only because big hair is back but because stylists have seen the process wreak havoc on clients’ locks.

Ted Gibson, who opened a Flatiron salon in December, bought the straightening chemical—a blend of thioglycolate compound and other solutions—but hasn’t used it. Other celebrity hairdressers who’ve opened salons in the past year or so—Mark Garrison, Eva Scrivo, Charles Worthington, Ric Pipino—have also chosen not to offer the treatment. Garrison says clients who underwent it more than twice had “disastrous” results, especially if they had highlighted hair: “In some cases, the hair was melted off. They were left with fried-out stubs.”

The procedure—sometimes called thermal reconditioning or ionic retexturing—weakens the hair, breaking down each follicle’s cystine bond (the molecular arrangement that gives hair its shape) so that it’s vulnerable to restructuring; the hair is then flattened with a special ceramic iron, after which a neutralizing serum is added to keep it straight.

It’s a precise and difficult process, and if a stylist is inexperienced or a less gentle metal iron is used, the effect is dried-out and damaged-looking. (Fred Pirkey of midtown’s Salon Ishi suggests intense conditioning treatments with steam to salvage damaged hair.) And whether it’s done properly or not, the resulting look is there to stay. “Your hair gets stuck in one particular style,” Pipino tells his clients. “I keep explaining, once you do it, that’s it!”

isawstars

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/people/columns/intelligencer/9233/

Straight to Hell
Why top stylists are ditching last year’s hot hair-straightening treatment.

Hair MELTED OFF?? :nono: This reminds me of how I refuse to be a ghinea pig no matter how great the results sound.

OP, why don't you search texlax or texturizing. It's pretty much the same thing but ladies use those terms interchangeably. You'll still have the thickness you want without being completely natural.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I assume the highlighted hair falls off the same way it would if you relaxed colored hair (double processing) and most white stylists clients color their hair in some way

ChoKitty

I picked up this type of straightener at the BSS. I had been natural about a year, completely free of other types of relaxers, since they do not mix at all. Chemical hair cut if you mix them. I honestly prefer it. If I hadn't decided that I wanted to give natural another shot, I would still be using this kind of straightener. My hair was way better off than it had been before, with a relaxer. (They all damage hair of course) Less breakage, super shiny. I was able to curl it when I wanted to. If I ever decided to straighten again, I will use the same type.

brittanynic16

Hello SpiceUpMyHair

I love the JR. I am really happy with the results. My hair is not dry, and I have had very little breakage. I am not sure if there are any specifics you want to know. But I am more than happy to answer any questions.

My hair is my siggie is JR and it hold curls very well. That curl held for 2 weeks. I have also bleached my hair and it is doing just fine.

I don't use the kind you buy in the beauty supply store. Those are not strong enough to straigthen my hair. I use a professional product called LISCIO. I buy the strong solution on Amazon. It's pricey but will last you a while depending on how often you touch up.

Last edited:

SpiceUpMyHair

[USER][/USER]brittanynic16
do you feel that it is a safer option compared to a relaxer?
I feel that the relaxed took away my thickness, r u able to maintain your thickness with the Jr?

Thanks again for answering

leona2025

Hello @SpiceUpMyHair

I love the JR. I am really happy with the results. My hair is not dry, and I have had very little breakage. I am not sure if there are any specifics you want to know. But I am more than happy to answer any questions.

My hair is my siggie is JR and it hold curls very well. That curl held for 2 weeks. I have also bleached my hair and it is doing just fine.

I don't use the kind you buy in the beauty supply store. Those are not strong enough to straigthen my hair. I use a professional product called LISCIO. I buy the strong solution on Amazon. It's pricey but will last you a while depending on how often you touch up.

You do this yourself? Can you tell me your process? When you wash it does it air dry straight? Do you have any videos on your channel about it? Sorry just curious.

brittanynic16

[USER][/USER]brittanynic16
do you feel that it is a safer option compared to a relaxer?
I feel that the relaxed took away my thickness, r u able to maintain your thickness with the Jr?

Thanks again for answering

I have retained all my thicken. It gets the hair super straight so you may loose volume (which is what I want) but break and thinning are not an issue for me. I find it to me much more forgiving than a regular relaxer.

brittanynic16

You do this yourself? Can you tell me your process? When you wash it does it air dry straight? Do you have any videos on your channel about it? Sorry just curious.

Yes I do it myself and I do have a video or 2 on my channel about it. I won't do another touch up until maybe July or August since I am wearing Marley twists now and will be until the end of the summer. I will do a video about my application then. But her is a turn down:

1. Wash the hair
2. Blow dry the hair.
3. Apply neutralizer to parts of the hair that will not be processed
4. Apply straighter to new growth (I do this and the next 2 steps one section at at time for a total of 3 sections)
5. Let the hair process until straight (usually 15 to 20 minutes)
6. Rinse all the produce out of the section I am working on
7. Repeat steps 4-6 on next section
8. Once all sections have been processed and rinsed I blow dry the entire head
9. Flatiron the new growth
10. Apply neutralizer to new growth and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes
11. Rinse out neutralizer
12. Styles as usual

It is a little time consuming but very forgiving as far as time restraints.

umissi

Yes I do it myself and I do have a video or 2 on my channel about it. I won't do another touch up until maybe July or August since I am wearing Marley twists now and will be until the end of the summer. I will do a video about my application then. But her is a turn down:

1. Wash the hair
2. Blow dry the hair.
3. Apply neutralizer to parts of the hair that will not be processed
4. Apply straighter to new growth (I do this and the next 2 steps one section at at time for a total of 3 sections)
5. Let the hair process until straight (usually 15 to 20 minutes)
6. Rinse all the produce out of the section I am working on
7. Repeat steps 4-6 on next section
8. Once all sections have been processed and rinsed I blow dry the entire head
9. Flatiron the new growth
10. Apply neutralizer to new growth and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes
11. Rinse out neutralizer
12. Styles as usual

It is a little time consuming but very forgiving as far as time restraints.

Your hair looks great! What temperature are you flat ironing with? Are you using a ceramic or titanium flat iron? Thanks.

leleepop

Another alternative is to use a permanent wave. It uses the same chemical but you can use different strengths. Thio or Cysteamine is the chemical.

umissi

Hello SpiceUpMyHair

Thanks for the info. Do you wrap your hair in either Saran Wrap or a shower cap to process? Do you apply heat to process?(ex. Hooded or handheld dryer)....I bought the Liscio strong and the liquid is a pale blue color. Does yours look the same. Idk how it's supposed to look.

Last edited:

brittanynic16

Thanks for the info. Do you wrap your hair in either Saran Wrap or a shower cap to process? Do you apply heat to process?(ex. Hooded or handheld dryer)....I bought the Liscio strong and the liquid is a pale blue color. Does yours look the same. Idk how it's supposed to look.

umissi
I know I am so late but no I don't use heat. My product is white but I've had if for some time so maybe the color has changed.