ANY QUESTIONS FOR ME ON THERMAL RECONDITIONING?

Dove56

I have about 4 inches of ng right now. I was going to transition to natural, but ehhh. I changed my mind. I am much to clumsy to be trying to only thermal condition the new growth. Man I just don't know what to do.

Yeah, I imagine the thermal on new growth only would be tough. When I used to texlax I would do them 26 weeks apart. I practiced with conditioner to get a technique down. Try to find someone in your area or a friend to help you. :yep:

candycan

Hairib.com offers this service for $150. If you near queens, ny it may be worth it. Also Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care products without me by Paula Begoun offers a lot of facts about alkaline perms vs. acidic (thio) and it's considered much healhier for AA hair and she too is puzzled as to why it's not marketed more to AA women. I've been seriously considering this option for some time now...Thanks for this thread Africangal

oyveh

Dear Dove56, I have been to Hairs Talent. They are very good and have quite a bit of experience with ethnic hair. I plan to have my TR there this January or February.

oyveh

After 5 months of not relaxing, I couldn't wait any longer I had my thermal last week. Wendy at Hairs Talent performed it for me and did a wonderful job. I had about 2 inches of new growth. No breakage, just amazing hair. My drying time is faster. I am using Living Proof No Frizz conditioner and shampoo. We are just returning from Florida and my hair stood up to the humidity with no problems whats so ever.

I have about 7 to 12 inches of relaxed ends. My hair is cut with layers throughout.

I plan to have my touch-up in either March or April.

Last edited:

oyveh

AfricanGal,

How do you manage new growth ? How often do you receive touch ups ? I have had a TR for a year now. It has been a struggle to get used to a new way of caring for my hair. My biggest issue is that I usually get touchups after a little more than 2 months. I just can't take it after that length of time. I work out twice a week and am very active. I do notice breakage one month after the touch up, even though I do use Aphogee 2 step protein treatments.

Where do you have your TR performed ? Can you post pictures of your new growth ?

Thank you !!!!

MzSwift

oyveh

I don't know if she's still active here but you may get a better response if you send her a PM. I know I only get email notifications if someone messages me. I don't receive notifications about mentions or thread tags. HTH! :)

oyveh

After 2 years receiving a Japanese thermal, I decided it was a huge mistake. It is best suited for hair with loose or wavy curl pattern. Regular protein treatments have no effect. The issue is the contrast of hair texture is just too extreme. They want to perform the service only bi yearly or 3 times a year. You have to heat straighten your new growth during that stretch. For me that resulted in extremely thin hair, broken pieces throughout. It has been 6 months since my last Japanese thermal, I now have to receive Brazilian blowouts every 4 months until my length returns and i can relax. Don't have this service performed, unless you have thick wavy hair is my advice. My curl pattern is 4a, 4b and 3c. Before I started my thermal my hair was well below my shoulders, now it barely touches my shoulders. All of my relaxed hair is broken off.

Last edited:

leona2025

Thanks for the update. I did want to try this, but decided it was too much work. It's funny how things change because all I wanted was for my hair to air dry straight and now I love the texture in my airdried hair. So glad I didn't make this mistake. I'd be bald.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
oyveh

Thanks for updating.

Do u think your fail had to do with the fact you had two different chemical processes on one head or do u feel the thermal was the only reason you had a problem?

oyveh

It was not made clear to me that I would loose my relaxed hair. I was told that they knew how to perform the service on women who had relaxed hair and all I had to do was maintain my protein and moisture conditioning treatments. I think the fail was that I became dependent on heat to straighten new growth between treatments and the service broke off my relaxed hair. Flat irons are the devil !!!

It has cost me dearly. All I want is my real hair back and to be able to use a relaxer again. It seems every time I try to trust a salon I loose my hair.

I am currently taking 2 tablespoons of MSM powder, with other supplements and will begin fulvic acid shortly.

If you do not have a relaxer and have a full head of shoulder length hair, this may be fine for you. You will still have to manage the severe difference between your new growth and treated hair. They will only perform the treatment every 4 to 6 months not bi monthly or every three months. I regret it with every fiber of my being.

Last edited: