Why Spend The $$$ on Thermal Reconditioning

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I know that this is not really something that our culture gets (unless you count pressing the hair /images/graemlins/grin.gif). But I read in a mag. yesterday that women with thermal reconditioning may have their hair to revert back when they sweat during workouts or other sweat causing activities.

Isn't the TR process kind of expensive? Why would they waste their money on that if the hair will just revert back so easily?

myco

That kind of defeats the purpose of having the procedure.
I saw the report that 20/20 did on TR and to me it just seemed like a glorified relaxer. There was no difference between the the lady who had a Dudley's relaxer for $300 (that price is a whole different story/images/graemlins/nuts.gif) and the one who had the $600+ TR. The relaxer just took less time. They both had to get a touch-up around the same time. The potential for damage was the same if not worse.

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
That kind of defeats the purpose of having the procedure.
I saw the report that 20/20 did on TR and to me it just seemed like a glorified relaxer. There was no difference between the the lady who had a Dudley's relaxer for $300 (that price is a whole different story/images/graemlins/nuts.gif) and the one who had the $600+ TR. The relaxer just took less time. They both had to get a touch-up around the same time. The potential for damage was the same if not worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

a dudley relaxer for $300......?????????? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
$300, $600! Please tell me no one on this board spends so much money on their hair! I would be ruined. Those prices are ridiculous! I makes me sweat just thinking about it.

myco

These were white ladies who went to a white salon to have this done as part of a comparison. One lady had TR, the other a relaxer, and the other lady just had her hair blow-dried and flat-ironed. Charging $300 for the service probably makes it seem more exotic and special than what "regular" black people pay for the same product. As long as someone is willing to pay, they can get away with it.

Falon

I know two non-black women who had this procedure done. They both had type 2 curly hair. They said it was worth it to them because of the time they saved blow drying their hair on a daily basis.

Both women wash their hair daily...and they have the kind of hair that needs it or it get's oily and smells rank. They said they were spending 20-30 minutes blowing their hair straight. So they said after the process they can wash and go and it will dry straight....if they blow dry they don't have to use the brush.