• 3c/4a mix

Votes: 65 16.0%
  • 4a

Votes: 53 13.1%
  • 4a/b mix

Votes: 135 33.3%
  • 4b

Votes: 101 24.9%
  • I don't know or Other (please explain)

Votes: 23 5.7%

• Total voters
Coarseness has nothing to do with type. East Asians tend to have very coarse hair, yet they're pretty reliably type 1. :yep:

omg!! so you are serious..lol
no you aren't a type 4...at all.
this thread is :lachen:

:blush:

:gotroasted:

lol, Well, I thought finally I had it.

Coarseness has nothing to do with hair type. There are coarse 1's,2's, and 3's just as there are silky 4's. You look to be 3a/b...

Got it. :yep:

I'm not even going to pretend I understand anymore. :spinning:

:lachen:I thought I had it, but just embarrassed myself. :blush: Now, I think I've got now.

Thanks for the pictures Nonie. I keep hearing type 3 hair being described as silky and that was throwing me off. My hair is definitely afro textured and coarse. It feels smooth but not silky. I guess I'm an afro textured type 3 and not a silky one.

The texture (not the curl size but the texture) of my hair is somewhere between both of these:

nadia.jpg

jordinclone.gif

Not cottony or sillky.

I guess, I'll go hide now, lol...

Yes coarseness is the thickness of the strand. I think OP got confused coz she was told her hair was kinkier that Priss Pot's (I think) and so if PP is 4A then she assumed she was too. It isn't. "Kinky" means tightly curled and OP's curls are not tight (like a compressed spring) but are rather loose.

I am not sure but I also think type 3 hair tends to stretch when wet with water and shrink up as it dries. (OK so does 4). But lets assume both types had pressed hair void of product. If you wet them, 4 will shrink big time stick up in a puff that looks like an afro maybe clumping (A) or not (B).

3 on the other hand will get wavy and of course so be shorter than when it was straight due to the waves but it will be stretched out by the water and hanging probably flat instead of being poofy and then puff up as it dries.

Last edited:
Yes coarseness is the thickness of the strand. I think OP got confused coz she was told her hair was kinkier that Priss Pot's (I think) and so if PP is 4A then she assumed she was too. It isn't. "Kinky" means tightly curled and OP's curls are not tight (like a compressed spring) but are rather loose.

I am not sure but I also think type 3 hair tends to stretch when wet with water and shrink up as it dries. (OK so does 4). But lets assume both types had pressed hair void of product. If you wet them, 4 will shrink big time stick up in a puff that looks like an afro maybe clumping (A) or not (B).

3 on the other hand will get wavy and of course so be shorter than when it was straight due to the waves but it will be stretched out by the water and hanging probably flat instead of being poofy and then puff up as it dries.

:yep:

Also people keep referring as type 3 hair as silky and shiny and my hair isn't silky and shiny. I thought if Priss Pot is a type 4 I must definitely be a type 4 due to my coarser less shiny texture. I got kinky mixed up with coarse, too. My hair is best referred to Afro textured coarse type 3.

My hair when wet straightens out and lies flat, but it gets bigger as it dries.

There's so much variation in human hair. I see why it's so hard to type.

:yep:

Also people keep referring as type 3 hair as silky and shiny and my hair isn't silky and shiny. I thought if Priss Pot is a type 4 I must definitely be a type 4 due to my coarser less shiny texture. I got kinky mixed up with coarse, too. My hair is best referred to Afro textured coarse type 3.

My hair when wet straightens out and lies flat, but it gets bigger as it dries.

There's so much variation in human hair. I see why it's so hard to type.

imho.. Priss pot is not really a type 4 either ..but thats my own opinion.

It's impossible to categorize every single unique hair type. There's a continuum and a lot be people fall in-between...
hairtypess.jpg
th_3c-6.jpg

CNapp-------4b-------4a/b---------4a----------4a/3c

Four years ago when I hit the hair boards, that CNapp caption used to represent the 4b category, but I see it's been jacked.

Four years ago when I hit the hair boards, that CNapp caption used to represent the 4b category, but I see it's been jacked.

:yep: I'm still of that line of thought. That CNapp rep is just 4B with lots of hair all shrunken and compacted like my puff here:
IMG00296-vi.jpg

OP, i honestly think it depends on the neighborhood(s). my enviroment, so and so forth. ALOT of girls are wearing relaxers so the likelihood of me to come across a natural are slim to none unless you're of mixed race, who more than likely will wear their natural 4a, 3a/b/c hair. and i think no matter where i go 1a-c dominates the hair typing charts.
but as for me, i'm 4b. but i look 4c(very frizzy all over especially when dr) but if one was to losely, when wet, they'd find 4a (actual curls but small ones for the 4b tribe:look:) and alot of 4ab when my hair dries. but my hair is so frizzy one would automatically assume i'm just another 4bc or 4c head of hair.

:yep: I'm still of that line of thought. That CNapp rep is just 4B with lots of hair all shrunken and compacted like my puff here:
IMG00296-vi.jpg

This is what I thought type 4-b hair was. My friends both have it, one has a satiny soft texture while the other friend is more coarse.

Yall still talking about this? Yall ever sleep around these parts? :lol: :lol: I have come to the decision that my hair type is "universoul" :giggle: I am no longer claiming ANY number.

You know what, you guys are right. I thought the pic in the thread (her siggy I think) was shingled hair but I was looking at her album in her profile and I think her hair looks a lot like Yvette Nicole Brown's hair.
1149891_b8c81937-d300-4358-8a1d-3a2b1b126835-yvette-nicole-brown.jpg

48500284.jpg

So I'd say she was 3C or at least 3C/4A.

Sorry Priss Pot when Team 4-Something breaks into this song when you're at one of their meetings, you'll know why. :rofl:

One of these heads is not like the others
One of these heads just doesn't belong
Can you tell which head is not like the others
By the time we finish our song?
:giggle:

:duck:

Nonie, this is totally OT, but I remember that siggy you had some time ago. With the little afro cartoon picture's growth progress. Actually, I dunno if it was in your siggy or if it was an actual post you made. But it was so cute and funny.

It's impossible to categorize every single unique hair type. There's a continuum and a lot be people fall in-between...
hairtypess.jpg
th_3c-6.jpg

CNapp-------4b-------4a/b---------4a----------4a/3c
My hair looks exactly like the 4a/b pic...

I guess that's me, lol..

Nonie, this is totally OT, but I remember that siggy you had some time ago. With the little afro cartoon picture's growth progress. Actually, I dunno if it was in your siggy or if it was an actual post you made. But it was so cute and funny.

Oh that was before I got my BC; I think I had a lot of splits ends too making my hair look frizzy so it's just as well that I went back to the old me:

Before

afro_kid-vi.gif

After
Progress-vi.jpg

Now I'm back to the original length and health. :)

Sorry to have lead to your confusion OP. These comments were made way back on page 26...

It really shouldn't even be that hard, if you ask me. If your hair has type 1,2,3,4 characteristics, then you will just be that type. My hair has kinky coily curly characteristics, so I am a type 4. Pow!!! And there ya have it. Simple and straight to the point.

But the thing is... someone like the OP has kinky coily curly characteristics too and she considers herself a type 3! Her hair looks kinky than yours and yours looks silkier than hers. Hair types are interesting
image.php
Then people started commented about how 'silkiness' have nothing to do with hair typing etc. But by the time I got back to the thread it was already page 30 something so I just left alone. Come to find out I've lead some people to be really confused.

I was merely trying to point our the error in Priss Pot's thinking. She basically said that since her hair had kinky, coily, curly characteristics, she is a type 4. But that isn't so, because the OP had kinky, coily, curly characteristics and she is a type 3 PLUS her hair appears even more kinky and afro textured!

Thats what I was trying to say without saying it. Both type 3 and type 4 can have kinky, coily, curly characteristics so that cannot be the basis for differentiation.

Sorry about that peoples

Question and I hope I don't annoy anyone, lol..

But does all Type 4 hair have coils? Whether they're tiny or large or barely noticeable?

But does all Type 4 hair have coils? Whether they're tiny or large or barely noticeable?

My stand is yes, it does. Manipulation, heat damage, type of products, unmoisturized hair (and I don't mean hair without products. I mean hair that is unhealthily dry internally so it gets hard), etc can make the hair look different but in its most natural, healthy and normal state it is has a curls/coils.

I think all type 4 hair has some kind of coils. I think in 4a you can see them a bit more, and it is more more noticeable if they use product. In 4b's you have to be really up close to see the curl/coil. I would post my friends, but they would kill me.

:lachen: Exactly. You are def "4b". But folks are talking about "4b" doesn't have any coils...it has no pattern whatsoever. And in that case nobody is 4b except for the 1a's.

Like I said, I'm sticking with type 4...matter of fact I might just go back to calling it nappy. Forget all this extra stuff.

:lachen: The bolded literally had me lol-ing:lachen:

I disagree with these statements.

I claim 4b. My strands are not zig zag. They have a really tight curl. I was under the impression the difference between 4a and 4b is whether the curls clump together or not. Mine do not. I am relaxed now but was natural long enough to get to know my texture.

I also could lay my hair down in the front with gel and a scarf and get waves, little waves, but waves none the less.

So am I 4b or am I not claiming my actual type because i'm mistaken?

My shrunken hair: There are curls there, not zig zags.

Camerapictures022-vi.jpg

Twistout puff with laid down waves:

Camerapictures372-vi.jpg

If you have a curl pattern, u are NOT 4B. The tightest curl ever is a 4a. A 4b has NO curl pattern, only zig zag. I see ur hair has a curl pattern, an almost loose one too. You are far from 4b. You are barely a 4a.
Sera's hair is a classic example of a REAL 4B hair.

http://public.fotki.com/Sera252/all...natu/5-years--beyond/startingonanotherse.html

Look closely at her hair strands on her shoulders, dey are NOT curls or coils, jes little zig zag patterns. This type of hair is very rare. It is the ONLY REAL 4B type. Anything else is a mixture or combination of 4a.

Last edited:
If you have a curl pattern, u are NOT 4B. The tightest curl ever is a 4a. A 4b has NO curl pattern, only zig zag. I see ur hair has a curl pattern, an almost loose one too. You are far from 4b. You are barely a 4a.

http://public.fotki.com/Sera252/all...natu/5-years--beyond/startingonanotherse.html

Look closely at her hair strands on her shoulders, dey are NOT curls or coils, jes little zig zag patterns. This type of hair is very rare. It is the ONLY REAL 4B type. Anything else is a mixture or combination of 4a.

4b hair has to be coily. Hair comes in straight, wavy, curly, and kinky/nappy... all type 4 hair is kinky/nappy/coily. Type 4b

That doesn't mean that it has a defined curl pattern, but what makes it kinky/nappy is the coils/kinks in the texture.

Hair devoid of any curl/coil/wave/kink is straight.

There is plenty of texture in her hair.

Now... I'm off to stalk her fotki. :sekret:

You obviously have not been in my class. :giggle:

Sera's hair has no curls because it's manipulated. It looks like my hair when it's manipulated. DesiRae is definitely in Team 4-something in my book. :yep: (OT, I love love love the natural sheen in her hair and how dark it is. Desi, can you please BC your hair back to that, pretty please? And then don't grow it any longer than that. Then call me coz I think I just fell in love. :love: BTW, OP, you can see how much DesiRae's hair reflects light compared to mine yet she's still 4-Something. Showing that shiny/silky and dull/rough looking could all be within the same group.)

totally agree with everything you said.This girls hair is exactly the 4b I was describing and it's a hair type that is very uncommon. I have seen hair like this IRL maybe once or twice. Even in the pictures of her hair wet and unmanipulated there is no curl pattern or coils. Just kinks. I think it would just be easiest to stick with 4a being the smallest curls and coils regardless of silkiness,shine or thickeness and the end of curls, while 4b moves into 'kinks' like the lady above. All the other stuff is just overcomplicating something that wasn't even complicated. Her hair is so thick and healthy :love:.

Back