• 3c/4a mix

Votes: 65 16.0%
  • 4a

Votes: 53 13.1%
  • 4a/b mix

Votes: 135 33.3%
  • 4b

Votes: 101 24.9%
  • I don't know or Other (please explain)

Votes: 23 5.7%

• Total voters

jupitermoon

Most people on the hair boards that I frequent including this board appear to be a 4a or 3c/4a mix. There are many type 3s and some 4a/b mixes. I've even read a few posts stating that type 4b hair is rare.

This post is a spinoff of the "Her 4b is not my 4b" thread. I'm pretty new to hair typing myself--just wondering...

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

I thinks it's hard to get an acurrate poll because everyone won't vote. I personally am only guessing at what a 4b is. I need to see some pictures to confirm it. I think a friend of mine is 4b. It's very dense, thick with micro waves. I was cornrowing her hair and loved it. Can't wait to get back in it.

virtuenow

Most people on the hair boards that I frequent including this board appear to be a 4a or 3c/4a mix. There are many type 3s and some 4a/b mixes. I've even read a few posts stating that type 4b hair is rare.

This post is a spinoff of the "Her 4b is not my 4b" thread. I'm pretty new to hair typing myself--just wondering...

What is your hair type? I originally said I was 4a/b until I looked at all of the people claiming 4a & b. Alot of people who say they are 4b have a pretty loose, hanging curl too, so I have attempted to upgrade myself to 4c or z. That statment is true, her 4b is definitely not my 4b!

hair_rehab

When I first BCed, I thought that I was a 4b. But 7 months later I'm sure that it's 4 a/b. The curls in the front and at the nape are looser and they become tighter and tangle a little more in the crown and on the sides.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Well, I think it could possibly be a combination of a lot of things. Most people have never seen their natural texture without some relaxed ends, or they have seen combed out baby pictures where their hair type is hard to determine. So people kind of guess what their hair type is.

If it is rare, I would think we could not apply that to the entire population since the hairboards constitute a small percentage.

trenise

I don't know if it is uncommon, but I consider myself 4b and I remember the comments my mother used to make about how "nappy" my hair was and it definitely was not like my cousins' hair.

anon123

Celina, most people on this board self-identify as 4a/b. There's a poll somewhere around here for "what is your hair type?" You can also see how many people are 4b. If I can find it, I'll bump it.

I don't think it's uncommon, but it does seem a lot less common than I thought. Especially on hair boards. I have some theories about that, but they're unpopular.:look: I think the rate would be higher in the general AA population, not sure about other countries, though my own travels say it would at least be higher in black southern Africa, too.

msa

I don't think they're uncommon, just not common on hairboards. Why?
-4b's are most likely to be relaxed so you don't necessarily see them
-in the real world their hair is considered the worst so I think if they are brainwashed by the community then they believe the bad stuff about their hair and aren't likely to be looking for haircare tips in the first place and are more worried about straightening it, styling it, or keeping it hidden.
-hairboards like lhcf are the least supportive of that hair type (despite the lipservice to the contrary) so they are more likely to be on np or just lurk instead of participating.

Just my opinion. I think they are quite common, just marginalized.

Kurlee

i think that people misunderstand the 4b hair type. As soon as they see really small curls, they say 4b. It's pretty simple 4a = smallest range of curls whether fine, medium or coarse and 4b= zigzag, no curl "cnapp" type hair. To be very honest, I rarely see people with this hair type. Almost everyone I see who claims 4b, is usually a much looser hair type and people kinda assume that coarse = 4b.

Kurlee

-in the real world their hair is considered the worst so I think if they are brainwashed by the community then they believe the bad stuff about their hair and aren't likely to be looking for haircare tips in the first place and are more worried about straightening it, styling it, or keeping it hidden.
-hairboards like lhcf are the least supportive of that hair type (despite the lipservice to the contrary) so they are more likely to be on np or just lurk instead of participating.

I agree with the bolded

Junebug D

I don't know, to be honest. :ohwell: I think they are just more low-key on hair boards. And in the "real world", they are more likely to be relaxed or with locs. And the men tend to shave their heads.

trenise

I agree with MSA and Kurlee that 4b hair is misunderstood and usually seen as the "bad" hair IRL. That's one reason I used to over process my hair. I was not ashamed of it, but I thought it meant my hair was "undone" if the natural texture started to show through. As a 4b, I did not think I had nice hair and was not likely to go to a hairboard where I assumed 3's with silky, curly, long swinging hair would be congregating. It's other hair issues that brought me to a hair board (ratty looking breakage). I did not think I could have long healthy hair...but now I do.

knt1229

The reason some folk think 4b is rare is the abundance of relaxed and weaved heads.

To my understanding, 4b hair is the most common hair texture amongst African Americans. However, you can't tell it when visiting hair boards. Most hairboard participants are 3c or 3c/4a. The hair boards do not represent what I see on a daily basis IRL.

4b hair is assumed to be the worst kind of kinky but what many folk don't realize is that a healthy head of 4b hair is just as fly and beautiful as any type 3. 4b can also be soft and manageable mine is. 4b is not necessarily coarse and unmanageable. So most folk assume it's rare because they don't see this mass of unruly, untameable cotton they have been misinformed about.

BlackMasterPiece

Couldn't agree with you more.

i think that people misunderstand the 4b hair type. As soon as they see really small curls, they say 4b. It's pretty simple 4a = smallest range of curls whether fine, medium or coarse and 4b= zigzag, no curl "cnapp" type hair. To be very honest, I rarely see people with this hair type. Almost everyone I see who claims 4b, is usually a much looser hair type and people kinda assume that coarse = 4b.
YES hair typing is pretty straightforward if you ask me, obviously there are some with combo's but overall 4a is the smallest curl diameter that can more accurately be described as coils and 4b's have no definite curl pattern and form a z shape.....I'm sorry but it REALLY irks me when I see people claim 4a/b and they have curls visible from a foot away or further.......some genuine 4b newbie is gonna look to you and theink they can just lay their hair down with some gel and have waves and its just not going down like that. Please claim your actual type!

Celina, most people on this board self-identify as 4a/b. There's a poll somewhere around here for "what is your hair type?" You can also see how many people are 4b. If I can find it, I'll bump it.

I don't think it's uncommon, but it does seem a lot less common than I thought. Especially on hair boards. I have some theories about that, but they're unpopular.:look: I think the rate would be higher in the general AA population, not sure about other countries, though my own travels say it would at least be higher in black southern Africa, too.
:wave: I wanna hear the theories!! I wanna hear it! It's probably the same thing I feel about it.

shunemite

When I grew up in Africa, 4b hair was sooooo common. And we all hated it. And those who didn't have 4b had "good hair" and I was told over and over that I had "bad hair". We had at least 3 different kinds of 4b hair though. We had one kind we called "regular" that was like mine, which is kinky very fine strands, a kind called "super-coil" that could shrink hair as long as 12 inches down to half an inch when wet, and a kind we called "steel wool" that was real coarse.

It wasn't until I read the infamous book by Oprah's hair stylist, "Andre talks hair" that I ever heard my hair be called "kinky" and "fine" instead of nappy and bad. I am a true 4b or 4z. 4b is one of those hair types like a dark skin tone that people grow up being told is "bad" until you finally learn to love yourself and your hair.

yardgirl

I'm a 4B, I know for a fact that I'm a 4B. Let's put it this way, many of the people I see claiming 4B are not really 4B.

ThickHair

4b is common but a lot of folks don't like to admit that they have 4b. So they will search every inch of there head until they find a strand that isn't 4b, so they can claim that type.

I love my nappy hair but some just are not in love with theirs.

Also take into consideration texturizers and other things that can temporarily change a hair type. So there are more, but some chose to hide and claim other things.

All of this is MHO

jupitermoon

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was just curious. It seems to me that just about everyone that posts on the hair boards are either a 4a/3c mix or type 3. I agree with what some of you said about 4bs being relaxed, etc.

What is your hair type? I originally said I was 4a/b until I looked at all of the people claiming 4a & b. Alot of people who say they are 4b have a pretty loose, hanging curl too, so I have attempted to upgrade myself to 4c or z. That statment is true, her 4b is definitely not my 4b!

According to posters from naturallycurly.com and this hair board I am a 3c/b mix with some 3a. My hair is loose on top but underneath I have smaller tighter curls. My hair is medium to coarse in texture.

Skiggle

I'm 4b!
I have plenty of friends that
are 4b..but they CLAIM something else..
like 4a or 3c.... one even said 3A., REALLY?? :nono:

And most 4b usually have a perm...
from my observation....

IMO, I think most people
feel that 4b and lower isn't an attractive hair type to
claim...Most people would prefer coils/curls any day...
over no coils, coarse hair...
But I love my hair type..extra thick, coarse, cottony..
I just have to find a way to battle the dryness..
:look:

Skiggle

LOL!!

I AGREE with everybody.
Notice, people with coils/looser kinks
get rave reviews...
Keep your eye out!!!

Desarae

YES hair typing is pretty straightforward if you ask me, obviously there are some with combo's but overall 4a is the smallest curl diameter that can more accurately be described as coils and 4b's have no definite curl pattern and form a z shape.....I'm sorry but it REALLY irks me when I see people claim 4a/b and they have curls visible from a foot away or further.......some genuine 4b newbie is gonna look to you and theink they can just lay their hair down with some gel and have waves and its just not going down like that. Please claim your actual type!

:wave: I wanna hear the theories!! I wanna hear it! It's probably the same thing I feel about it.

I disagree with these statements.

I claim 4b. My strands are not zig zag. They have a really tight curl. I was under the impression the difference between 4a and 4b is whether the curls clump together or not. Mine do not. I am relaxed now but was natural long enough to get to know my texture.

I also could lay my hair down in the front with gel and a scarf and get waves, little waves, but waves none the less.

So am I 4b or am I not claiming my actual type because i'm mistaken?

My shrunken hair: There are curls there, not zig zags.

Twistout puff with laid down waves:

yardgirl

I claim 4b. My strands are not zig zag. They have a really tight curl. I was under the impression the difference between 4a and 4b is whether the curls clump together or not. Mine do not. I am relaxed now but was natural long enough to get to know my texture.

I also could lay my hair down in the front with gel and a scarf and get waves, little waves, but waves none the less.

You don't look like a 4B to me at all

Desarae

When I grew up in Africa, 4b hair was sooooo common. And we all hated it. And those who didn't have 4b had "good hair" and I was told over and over that I had "bad hair". We had at least 3 different kinds of 4b hair though. We had one kind we called "regular" that was like mine, which is kinky very fine strands, a kind called "super-coil" that could shrink hair as long as 12 inches down to half an inch when wet, and a kind we called "steel wool" that was real coarse.

It wasn't until I read the infamous book by Oprah's hair stylist, "Andre talks hair" that I ever heard my hair be called "kinky" and "fine" instead of nappy and bad. I am a true 4b or 4z. 4b is one of those hair types like a dark skin tone that people grow up being told is "bad" until you finally learn to love yourself and your hair.

Thank you! There is more than one strand type that fall under the 4b umbrella. I guess I have "regular" 4b hair. As most do. Still curls, but small fine and no clumps.

Kurlee

I :wave:wanna hear the theories!! I wanna hear it! It's probably the same thing I feel about it.
I wanne hear theories too!

But umm yea, I don't see what is so hard to understand about it. If you have curls smaller than 3c scary spice, then you are 4a, regardless of how coarse, dry, shrinkish and small curled your hair is. If your hair doesn't curl, then ur 4b. I get so annoyed when I go in a thread, hearing about a product review and I see someone with extremely loose big curls talking about 4a or b:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Or I see someone with tight curls, but curls nonetheless, talking about 4b. I just think to myself, if your 4b, then what the hell is everyone else with tighter hair than you? I just try to go by pics now when reading reviews on products and if their hair is similar to mine, then I know what they are doing/trying will work. I really don't understand the "over" and "under" typing:look:

Kurlee

U are definitely NOT 4b. Definitely 4a, but could be looser as it gets longer, but definitely NOT 4b!

Kurlee

So this my natural hair, looks like 4a hair to you?
I'm just not seeing it.
If I would have came in here with this pic claiming 4a, I would get stoned.
I'm too through!
regardless of it in it's naked state, you have defined curls that are small, therefore 4a.
I think i'm starting to "get" why there is a misconception.

tatiana

4b is extremely common.
It is popular now where I live among the young black males to grow their hair out into fros and then into 2 strand twists and then locs.
Vast majority of these young males have beautiful thick 4b hair.
It does not make any kind of sense for most of our men folk to be 4b but we women folk be something different.

Kurlee

I don't know, to be honest. :ohwell: I think they are just more low-key on hair boards. And in the "real world", they are more likely to be relaxed or with locs. And the men tend to shave their heads.
Don't get me started on the OBSESSION with BM shaving their heads almost bald :nono: