Is it okay to rollerset every night???

bonedacious99

I'm trying to cut out my daily use of the flat iron! Do you think it is okay to rollerset your hair every night (I'm talking about rollersetting dry (not wet or damp) hair)?

Yes
smile.gif

I haven't done this yet every night but other ladies here have done so successfully, so yes!
smile.gif

your hair would probably look nice but it might be too much manipulation to your hair

I have successfully roller set my hair nightly since age 12.
Of course, my hair was natural, and my mother pressed it weekly.

Now my hair is relaxed. I have been roller setting my relaxed hair since 1987, without incident.

Since I have learned how to properly wrap set my hair, I do alternate between roller setting, to give the hair body, and wrap seting.

During a typical week, I wash my hair, and then wrap it. After a day or two, I roller set it, to give the hair body and lift.

northernbelle

northernbelle

I've been rollersetting my hair nightly lately and I think it's a great way to stop using the flat iron.

I do "rollerset" my dry hair every night but I only use about 2-4 rollers in order to get a bit of "bounce" in the morning. I don't do the full blown 16 - 20 rollers that I would if I "wet set" after washing. It takes me like 3 minutes to comb and put a couple of rollers in my hair at night, wrap and sleep. In the morning, it takes like 2 minutes to finger comb and go -- my hair is nice and much much bouncier -- no fuss, no muss, no hazzle, just go . . .

I use the same magnetic rollers that I use to "wet set"

northernbelle and Neroli...

1. How long is your hair currently???

2. Have u ever experience breakage with rollersetting often??? If not, do you think rollersetting has helped you retain hair length???

1. My hair is just past shoulder length.

2. I have not experience breakage at all and most definitely has helped retained length since I gave up the curling iron over 5 years ago.

BTW, I don't consider putting 2 or 3 rollers in at night to be "rollersetting" -- I mean, it's just a couple of rollers that takes me literally 2 minutes to put in using a wide tooth comb. There's very little manipulation, certainly nothing like what I do when I "wet set" after washing. The wet set takes me about 20 minutes using about 16 rollers and a rattail comb -- very very different techniques.

I agree Neroli, when I say I rollerset at night I'm talking 5-6 rollers.

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
1. My hair is just past shoulder length.

2. I have not experience breakage at all and most definitely has helped retained length since I gave up the curling iron over 5 years ago.

BTW, I don't consider putting 2 or 3 rollers in at night to be "rollersetting" -- I mean, it's just a couple of rollers that takes me literally 2 minutes to put in using a wide tooth comb. There's very little manipulation, certainly nothing like what I do when I "wet set" after washing. The wet set takes me about 20 minutes using about 16 rollers and a rattail comb -- very very different techniques.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh okay, now I understand thats its not a full blown rollerset...well Im doing the bun challenge right now...so if I want to wear my hair down once or twice outta the week, I might put 6 rollers in my hair like I did when I gave up the curling and flat irons.
smile.gif

I believe so also. I used to roller set my hair with sponge rollers in high school and it was sucking the moisture out of my hair. Now I know that sponge rollers aren't good for my hair type. Just get some satin rollers or buy some satin and make your own.

I used to do it for some time when I was a student The girl who shared the flat with me had a great influence on me and she convinced me at that time that my hair was so beautiful that I should rollerset everynight to get it bouncy. Unfortunately I cannot afford to put just a few rollers, so I had to sleep with a full set of the biggest rollers and that was very very uncomfortable. I've read that most of of college girls did the same experience in the US in the 60's ....
Whatever the case, it was probably the reason why I stopped rollersetting for some years.....I resumed after I have got married.
So I do not think it is a great idea, unless you really sleep confortably

I only do this when I get a blow-out, once every few weeks. After my blow-out, I will wrap it the first night, then every night up to my next wash I set my hair on nandi rollers varying the amount used to suit the style I have in mind. I love nandi rollers. I get great, bouncy curls and they are easy to sleep on. I just put a little WGO on the ends of each section of hair before rolling up and the next morning I am good to go after I take down and finger style. I never comb my hair with a comb, just separate with my fingers. I have no breakage and my hair looks lovely! Now, I have done this on airdried hair and I find that it is too much manipulation. So, when I wash at home, which is pretty often, I airdry and do updos. Anyway, I think it is okay to rollerset each night if you are maintaining hair that is already smooth or flatironed or salon-styled. I have no luck doing this with airdried only hair.

So far, I found that rollersetting my hair every night has been most beneficial to my hair and especially my ends. My hair remains bouncy and has a nice swing to it, and this has also allowed for me to extend my time in between washes.

I put my hair in a high ponytail and use two big grey magnetic rollers to set my hair. I use a dab of Mango Butter or oil on my ends to seal in moisture before I set. The next morning, voila!..I just comb it out, put it in a low ponytail or wrap it up in a bun or french roll. This is my first week rollersetting my hair at night, and I think its a great protective style for bedtime and a great way to keep my style during the week! :clap:

bonedacious99 said:
I'm trying to cut out my daily use of the flat iron! Do you think it is okay to rollerset your hair every night (I'm talking about rollersetting dry (not wet or damp) hair)?
I'm just curious, why don't you pin-curl? You'll have lots of curl, body and won't have to fuss with your flat-iron at all.

I just started rolling my hair every nite. I used about 6-8rollers in the back of my head. i didn't have any dry issues because i'd be sure to moisturize and add oil before rolling.

I never really learned the art of 'pincurls' but that's something i'm going to start experimenting with soon.

If u are in to curls, I bought a caruso steamroller set last friday, out of curiosity, and it is my new best friend. It only takes a total of 10-15mins to roll my hair and then take out the rollers for EXTRA SUPER BOUNCY curls. I roll as soon as i get out the shower, then I get dressed, then take the rollers out. I love it. I have alot of products in my hair and i still have bouncy curls. My curls stay in all day long. My fiance keeps asking me what did i do to my hair, cuase he likes it also. And Sallys will accept 90day returns for anyone who doesn't like it. :)

Absolutely!!! It is probably the best for your hair, you will retain bounce, moisture, your ends are protected, you;ll have a shape . . . go 'head!!!

Back