Is it healthy to moisturize and seal daily?

lilsparkle825

Vaseline = Petrolatum. My first lesson HHC was NO petrolatum. Vaseline seals OUT the moisture. It does not have the properties to let more moisture back in. So if you are using Vaseline....you can only use it once.

All of us have seen black women with the greasy, stiff hair with the comb marks in it that has no movement or sheen
Just to reiterate what Nonie said, there was a followup to that original "seal with Vaseline" challenge started sometime last year. I actually did it for about a month, but dropped out because I mostly wore puffs and greasy puffs are a NO-NO. However, with wet bunning, Vaseline worked great. The thing (for me, at least) was just to use it on damp hair.
^^^ This is slightly OT, but if it's true that petrolatum seals moisture out of the hair, does that mean that it can act as a humidity blocker for pressed hair?

Just curious. :look:
Yeah, but most people use too much. Stiff hair is not cute. I can't use it on pressed hair because my strands are too fine.

To answer the OP, I cowash daily in the summer, so that's where I get my moisture. I've never been big on sealing, but I recently started because I would notice that when twisting up my hair at night, my ends were a little drier/rougher than I like. Coconut oil is great for both M&S. It's also the only thing I can use to put moisture back into my hair when it is straightened. I also alternate between EVOO + castor oil for sealing purposes.

Last edited:

Vashti

Moisturizing and sealing every night stopped my hair from breaking and it got rid of the constant dryness. I do it about 6 days a week. If I didn't, I would still have only a 1/2 inch of length from my head.

bimtheduck

If your hair is dry then I would say that moisturizing once a week isn't working for you. I would suggest moisturizing and sealing daily. If you can't handle doing it daily try DCing twice a week and just moisturizing and sealing a few times a week.