Question- Daily moisturizing

G

I've read that most moisturize daily with a product and then seal it in with some kind of oil..Question: If you moisturize daily and then seal in with oil doesn't it leads to build-up? Also, don't the oil that is used from a previous day of "sealing" prevents moisture getting through the hair the next day?

inthepink

I suppose it depends on how often you wash (or co wash) your hair. I try to moisturize daily but I don't have buildup b/c I wash every 3 days.
To do something like re-seal, I'll rewet my ends and then add proclaim coconut oil. (like vaseline)

Purtygurly

I was wondering about that too... how does the moisture get throgh the oil that's already there? What about people that use silicones? How does it get through THAT? How does the moisture get through after you use any conditioner? My humecto has mineral oil in it... are the leave ins or moisturizers that I put in after washing really able to get through the coating of oil from the conditioners?

I dunno

I'm confused

but I know that my hair looks like crap if I doin't put anything in it, so I guess it doing something good.

Isis

That's a good question about how the moisture gets back in after it has already been sealed with oil. Somehow, it works for me - maybe because I wash (with shampoo) every 3 days and after conditioning and then my leave-ins, I seal all of that moisture. I do my ends about twice each day and I'm learning to rewet them and seal again with an oil (like vaseline) as I've learned from others on this board. All I know is tht the moisture must be getting to the hair because my ends are strong.

G

Do you re-wet with water or a product like S-curl? I notice a lot of people use that...

G

is the distilled water and glycerin necessary to use or can you use any "wet" moisturizer to re-wet the hair before applying vaseline or any other type of oil...

Isis

I'm not sure but as long as it has water in the moisturizer, it may be ok. Some products have other stuff in it, good things like protein but it may build up on the ends. I've used my leave-in to rewet my ends in the past.

sithembile

That's why I wash every 3 to 4 days with mild shampoos, and I don't do condition washes because my hair starts feeling heavy and looking greasy instead of having sheen. I also avoid using cone based products all the time.

G

What about the moisturizers that contain silicone? How can you avoid that..Can you please tell me what products you use Sithembile?

Victorian

old head
Hi

Oil isn't a permanent barrier. We say that it "seals" the moisture in, and to an extent, it does (when compared to not sealing at all), but it is still porous. It isn't some impenetrable shield and it does "wear off." Otherwise, why would we need to do it often? Also think about when you tie your hair up at night; There's a reason you have to wash your pillowcases and scarves/bonnets. The oil doesn't all stay on your hair. Some of it does stay on your hair, which is why if you go a long time without washing, while adding oil/products frequently, you will get build up.

Oil builds up faster in my hair than silicone products, so although I love my Hot 6 Oil, I don't use it everyday. What's really working well for me lately is spraying with Profectiv Damage-Free leave-in and while it's slightly damp, applying Profectiv Long 'N' Healthy Mega Moisturizer. Makes my hair really soft. I usually shampoo exactly once a week unless I've recently used Smooth and Shine Gel which builds up a lot, in which case I'll shampoo the day after I use it. I'll sometimes do a conditioner only wash 1 or 2 times during the week, depending on how my hair is.

I just bought a clarifying shampoo yesterday. I hadn't clarified since I was home this past summer. My hair didn't feel weighed down or anything, I just wanted to see how my newest deep conditioner works right after clarifying (I just tried it this morning--nice!)

I don't think you should necessarily have to AVOID silicones in products unless you think it's really causing a problem. Being silicone-base, and just CONTAINING silicones are two different things. Serums are silicone-based--some, in fact, are completely made up of silicones. Many moisturizers contain silicones, but they aren't the main ingredient. If you think silicones build up on your hair, choose products that, if they contain it, have the cones towards the end of the ingredient list.

HTH!

Allandra

Like HairLove mentioned, I too suppose it depends on how often you wash your hair. Most of the time, I moisturize daily. I use a lot of products that contain cones (which is why I pretty much wash my hair every few days). I don't get a lot of build up since I wash my hair often, and on top of that, I do use a clarifying shampoo. This is what works for my hair.

G

Thanks for BlackCardinal for your thorough response. Also, thanks to Allandra.

sithembile

I use Profectiv breakfree and jojoba oil as moisturisers, alternating between the 2. The profectiv is petroleum and mineral oil free, but it does have dimethicone but it is towards the end of the ingredients list. My favourite condtioners of the moment are jason's sea kelp and biotin, they are really moisturising, give slip and shine, without the heavy concentration of silicones. I don't like my conditioners to have too much silicone as I use serum, which is pretty much silicone.

G

Thanks sithembile. I wonder if the Jason Sea Kelp conditioner detangles natural hair....I will look it up.

katie

I really liked Jason Sea Kelp conditioner at first but over time my hair started to feel waxy after use.I checked the ingredients and emulsifying wax is one of them.
It is still a good product.I guess I should start re-using it and just clarify more.

G

Is your hair natural Katie? Does the Jason Sea Kelp condtioner detangle really good? I am on the search of good reasonable hair products that would fit my budget.

pressncurl

For the last week I've been litely spritzing my hair daily with water and then applying my oil mixture over it. I haven't noticed any buildup. I think the key is using oil that isn't heavy and that can be incorporated into the hair strand (coconut & jojoba for example).