Is it healthy to moisturize and seal daily?

Blaq-N-GoLd

I was told only to moisturize when needed, I was told to moisturize a few times a week, I was also told to moisturize and seal daily...Which is better?
I am on a relaxer stretch/protective style (braid-outs) and have dry hair and I only moisturize after my wash day which is once a week. Should I be adding moisture daily like some YouTube gurus or should I only stay with my regimen which is moisturizing and sealing once a week? Please help!

Thanks!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
moisturizing and sealing once a week? *the crowd behInd me laughs*
um........no. to me that = breakage from dry, thirsty hair. but EVERYONE'S HAIR IS DIFFERENT. i do it every day, sometimes twice a day. if not, im pretty sure i would still be at SL.

grow

i totally agree with AdoraAdora24!

i moisturize on a daily basis and everything that is below the line in the picture to the left in my siggy is a direct result of this practice.

even with braids, it is possible to moisturize regularly and even rinse your hair daily.

maybe some people with braids can chime in, but i know i've read that it can be done.

good luck and pamper your hair!

bryantgurls

I agree with what the ladies have said thus far. Moisturizing and sealing daily has saved my hair and allowed me to go from almost shoulder length to almost BSB in a year... so daily is key for me!!!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm a newbie and moisturize/seal twice daily. I very lightly moisturize/seal in the morning and apply the same prods a little heavier at night and whole head baggy overnight. I haven't obtained 1.5 in growth like the other newbie but please believe I will be checking out her reggie. My hair breaks far less with keeping it moisturized/sealed while practicing low manipulation and bunning.

MizzBrit

i moisture daily but i do not seal daily..cuz i use heavy oils and it just aids in buildup since i keep my hair in plaits under a wig..i seal about 3x a week

NikkiGirl

I don't moisturize and seal daily because I co-wash almost daily and usually wet bun. The water provides the moisture. My hair is fine and I get yucky build-up with too much product. But I haven't had any retention problems. I should be MBL at my September length check and that will be a year of growing from a little past shoulder. Also I have been bunning for almost a year, so my ends never see the light of day anyway. So when I do moisturixe and seal I may do it every few days.

LaFemmeNaturelle

IT depends on your hair. EVerytime your hair feels dry or feels like it's getting dry, you need to M&S. I don't do it everyday because my hair doesn't need it. I only do it twice a week but everyone's hair is different. No one can tell you how often to do it but your hair. You said your hair is dry so obviously once a week isnt enough for you.

kittikat24

What I like to do is saturate my damp hair w/ moisturiser, section by section, then seal w/ castor oil. Every day for the next 2-3 days, I just lightly refresh my strands w/ spritz' of water, then seal.

This really helps take care of the 'build up' on my strands, and my hair stays soft.:yep:

ladysaraii

I moisturize daily w/ my spritz, but I dont seal daily b/c I usually wear my hair in french briads. I do try to seal my edges daily.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Um....I can't go a day without moisturizing! :nono: Sometimes I moisturize twice a day. When I mean moisturize, I don't necessarily mean with products.. Water is a natural moisturizer so I may just spritz my hair if it feels a bit dry. Moisture is what curly hair loves and needs to grow long and strong :yep: However, over moisturizing can occur so listen to your hair. If it's feeling dry and crispy, usually you need to moisturize. when it feels soft, stop moisturizing.

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
I dont moisturize and seal every day only because I wear my hair out/down 90% of the time. Now, if I was bunning..yes...While bunning or hiding my hair, I will do my whole head..
I moisturize and seal every other day at bedtime. I then wrap my hair overnight and take it down when I get to work. I dont like for hair to be heavy/greasy so I tend to pay special attention to my ends only (when its down).

Last edited:

isawstars

You should take one of your shed hairs and tug on it and see how strong or weak your hair is to help determine what's best for you.

I've tried moisturizing and sealing every day and it was not beneficial for me. Sealing with oil is just not necessary for me either. I've found success in damping my ends with water then applying a split end "mender" leave in conditioner before bunning. Other than co washing as needed, that's all I do to "moisturize."

HHJ

Curlykale

I need to moisturize my ends daily with a water based product in order to prevent single strand knots. If I seal with oil (every other day), I lightly wet my ends before adding the water based conditioner.

When I was texturized and sealed my leave-in with grease I could go on with soft and smooth ends for days, but I often got breakage on wash day.

Nonie

If I did that (moisturize daily), it'd be wasteful. When I do use something on my hair (S Curl when wearing it out) moisturizing on wash day is all I ever need to do. My hair holds that moisture until I wash my hair and it can only hold so much. Anymore would just be sitting on top getting wasted on my clothes, neck and face and giving me acne.

I am yet to start sealing but if I were sealing, I'd see no use applying moisture over the seal because my understanding of a "seal" is something that prevents moisture from escaping...and therefore from entering also. So adding a moisturizer over a seal would be sheer waste IMO.

brucebettye

My hair would laugh at me if I moisturized once a week. I normally do it once a day, sometimes twice when my hair gets really dry durning the summer months.

D.Lisha

I M&S Daily, twice a day--Morning and Night--But as so many of the other ladies stated before, you have to do what works for YOUR hair. Everyone's hair is different, some ladies can get away with once a day...or once every few days. But my suggestion is you "listen" to your hair.....It knows what IT wants ;)

dede1129

I totally agree with you! I moisture and seal daily and it has helped me plus I my ends are nice and healthy and I rarely get split ends. BTW Adora I Love your Bunning challenge until 1 October 2010...I just might join you:yep: I just mastered my donut bun and I am loving it.

moisturizing and sealing once a week? *the crowd behInd me laughs*
um........no. to me that = breakage from dry, thirsty hair. but EVERYONE'S HAIR IS DIFFERENT. i do it every day, sometimes twice a day. if not, im pretty sure i would still be at SL.

D.Lisha

If I did that (moisturize daily), it'd be wasteful. When I do use something on my hair (S Curl when wearing it out) moisturizing on wash day is all I ever need to do. My hair holds that moisture until I wash my hair and it can only hold so much. Anymore would just be sitting on top getting wasted on my clothes, neck and face and giving me acne.

I am yet to start sealing but if I were sealing, I'd see no use applying moisture over the seal because my understanding of a "seal" is something that prevents moisture from escaping...and therefore from entering also. So adding a moisturizer over a seal would be sheer waste IMO.

You know, I used to think the same thing until recently. I found out that the "sealant" usually evaporates in a couple of hours which then usually leads to the escape of moisture, especially if u're in a hot dry climate, Thus the need to M&S more than once a day.

Last edited:

Dogmd

I use a leave-in conditioner that moisturizes my hair maybe 4x a week, but i do seal daily with jojoba oil! It's pretty light and doesn't weigh my hair down...so soft ! :yep:

Nonie

You know, I used to think the same thing until recently. I found out that the "sealant" usually evaporates in a couple of hours which then usually leads to the escape of moisture, especially if u're in a hot dry climate, Thus the need to M&S more than once a day.

What sealant are you using, coz what I consider a sealant is something heavy like Vaseline or a serum. I have never had Vaseline evaporate from my skin (I use it on my hands and under my eyes), so I don't think it'd evaporate from my hair ends. When I use a serum on my hair during flat ironing, it lasts as long as I don't shampoo my hair, so I don't get reversion till I wash my hair. THAT's what I call sealing. :grin:

I learned about sealing from Wanakee and her Constant Care for Ends product was very much like Vaseline.

Loves Harmony

After i wash my hair i use either the BRBC or HAOC once a week. I sometimes i dont re moisturize until 4 or 5 days later then i may spray water on my hair or Tw Protective Mist.

lalla

Moisturizing once a week is probably not enough.
I moisturize once every other day or every 3 days. Not daily because my hair doesn't need it.

Does your hair feel dry? If it feels soft, doesn't break or split then I don't think youneed to change your routine. If it's dry, try moisturizing more.
If I were you I would try moisturizing maybe once every other day and see how your hair reacts.

JJamiah

I actually don't moisturize my hair at all during the week unless needed, I Steam my hair on wash day and usually don't have to moisturize until the next wash day. Otherwise I use my Neutrogena Triple moisture silk touch leave in maybe once in between my wash. :)

Once I get my braids I will be moisturizing with 1/3 Infusium and 2/3 water, every other day.

D.Lisha

What sealant are you using, coz what I consider a sealant is something heavy like Vaseline or a serum. I have never had Vaseline evaporate from my skin (I use it on my hands and under my eyes), so I don't think it'd evaporate from my hair ends. When I use a serum on my hair during flat ironing, it lasts as long as I don't shampoo my hair, so I don't get reversion till I wash my hair. THAT's what I call sealing. :grin:

I learned about sealing from Wanakee and her Constant Care for Ends product was very much like Vaseline.

I use Oil for a sealant (coconut oil, jojoba oil, EVOO oil, Sweet Almond Oil....etc.) Never thought to use vaseline, although I have heard it mentionted a time or two when I frequented BHM. But from my own personal experience, I can say that I have witnessed my moisture "escaping" a few hours after i've done my mornnig moisturizing and sealing session....my hair felt dry and brittle, that's why I am a firm believer in moisturizing and sealing twice a day (or as oftern as needed). Now that's just me speaking on what i've learned from MY hair.....can't speak for anyone else's hair though.:look:

Nonie

I use Oil for a sealant (coconut oil, jojoba oil, EVOO oil, Sweet Almond Oil....etc.) Never thought to use vaseline, although I have heard it mentionted a time or two when I frequented BHM. But from my own personal experience, I can say that I have witnessed my moisture "escaping" a few hours after i've done my mornnig moisturizing and sealing session....my hair felt dry and brittle, that's why I am a firm believer in moisturizing and sealing twice a day (or as oftern as needed). Now that's just me speaking on what i've learned from MY hair.....can't speak for anyone else's hair though.:look:

I don't think it's so much evaporating as being absorbed. If I am not mistaken all the oils you mention are carrier oils which means their molecules are small enough to be absorbed into skin and hair and hence the reason they are usually recommended for use with essential oils.

SingBrina

I am also pretty much a newbie and I do it twice a day. Like in the morn before work and when I come home because at that time my hair is dried out. Thats only if I am wearing a wet bun.