Coconut Oil & Acne.. Help!

theislandoll

I've been taking care of my hair for about 4 years now and ever since then I've had acne break outs on my face and also my back. It became so severe that I had to see a dermatologist about 3 months ago.. He asked me if I use any type of oil on my skin or hair. I told him I use coconut oil (hairveda's vatika frosting or dabur vatika) (for hair only) daily and that I also use a moisturizer (hairveda whipped creme) that contains castor oil, sweet almond oil, and sunflower oil in the ingredients. He told me to stop using them immediately.. which sucks because my hair is in love with coconut oil and i've been using the hairveda moisturizer since day 1.

Since then I have cut down on the coconut oil and I now only use it on wash days (once a week) when I need to detangle my hair, and I also use it as a leave-in. But I still use the moisturizer daily. Even so, my skin hasn't really gotten any better. So now I don't know what do! What products can I replace with what I use now that doesn't have any type of oil??? :sad:

Huh? No oil at all? Idont kn how black kinky hair can survive w/o oil. What is ur hair type? Doess ur hair produce a good amt of oil? If so, u may be able to get by w/a really good conitioner

I've been taking care of my hair for about 4 years now and ever since then I've had acne break outs on my face and also my back. It became so severe that I had to see a dermatologist about 3 months ago.. He asked me if I use any type of oil on my skin or hair. I told him I use coconut oil (hairveda's vatika frosting or dabur vatika) (for hair only) daily and that I also use a moisturizer (hairveda whipped creme) that contains castor oil, sweet almond oil, and sunflower oil in the ingredients. He told me to stop using them immediately.. which sucks because my hair is in love with coconut oil and i've been using the hairveda moisturizer since day 1.

Since then I have cut down on the coconut oil and I now only use it on wash days (once a week) when I need to detangle my hair, and I also use it as a leave-in. But I still use the moisturizer daily. Even so, my skin hasn't really gotten any better. So now I don't know what do! What products can I replace with what I use now that doesn't have any type of oil??? :sad:

If you are having acne break-out on your skin, I don't see how stopping you from using coconut oil for your hair is the solution. Yes, I know your hair grows out from you scalp so unless you are using the oil and moisturiser on your scalp, I'm not sure this man has solved your problem. I'm curious to hear what others think.

Pure EV coconut oil is anti fungal/anti bacterial/anti viral- the works. I know someone who uses it to fight their acne & since I've been using it as a daily moisturizer, my skin has never been so radiant.You think maybe the extra ingredients in the hairveda or vatika are causing you to break out? You may want to try plain pure coconut oil & see if your body is having a reaction still. HTH.

I've had a doctor tell me to stop using all oils on my hair in order to rid my acne. Acne can be way more complicated than that, as it's not always caused my topical things. I say try getting your hormones in check and seeing if that helps. Omega 3-6-9 vitamins work for me.

Now, I will say that some topical items can cause acne. I've read that coconut oil can also, but I don't put it on my face so I don't know.

ETA: Derms are quick to blame oils for everything, but trust not every oil is bad. I use Vit E, EVOO, and Jojoba oils on my skin, and I get no adverse effects. Please try a natural hormone balancing supplement to see how that helps.

Last edited:
are yu wearing a clean scarf when yu go to bed? that could be build up making yu break out :perplexed idk just sayin:)

Huh? No oil at all? Idont kn how black kinky hair can survive w/o oil. What is ur hair type? Doess ur hair produce a good amt of oil? If so, u may be able to get by w/a really good conitioner

I have no idea what my hair type is, but I am relaxed. my hair doesn't really produce any oil.. it'a dry as bone if i don't put any products in it.

Last edited:
Pure EV coconut oil is anti fungal/anti bacterial/anti viral- the works. I know someone who uses it to fight their acne & since I've been using it as a daily moisturizer, my skin has never been so radiant.You think maybe the extra ingredients in the hairveda or vatika are causing you to break out? You may want to try plain pure coconut oil & see if your body is having a reaction still. HTH.

hmmmm it very well could be the extra ingredients. I may have to try pure EV coconut oil instead.. thank you!

I've had a doctor tell me to stop using all oils on my hair in order to rid my acne. Acne can be way more complicated than that, as it's not always caused my topical things. I say try getting your hormones in check and seeing if that helps. Omega 3-6-9 vitamins work for me.

Now, I will say that some topical items can cause acne. I've read that coconut oil can also, but I don't put it on my face so I don't know.

ETA: Derms are quick to blame oils for everything, but trust not every oil is bad. I use Vit E, EVOO, and Jojoba oils on my skin, and I get no adverse effects. Please try a natural hormone balancing supplement to see how that helps.

I haven't really been taking any vitamins so I will definitely try that, thank you!

I have used coconut oil directly on my face and had no problems whatsoever and I was acne prone - I am an Accutane survivor. Coconut oil is wonderful for the skin (pure - not vatike, etc). If you are concerned about it getting on your face, get one of those terry bands - sports people wear them to keep the sweat from getting in their eyes - and put it on your forehead where the skin starts. I wouldn't put it ON the hairline because you do not want to annoy your hairline. Anything coming out of your head would get stuck in that. Also, you must be meticulous about keeping a clean pillowcase. If one side of your face is worse than the other, your pillow may be the culprit. I change my pillowcase (homemade satin) every other night. I use one side, flip it the next day, then to the hamper it goes. HTH

I think what you may want to do is use the oils but then tie up your hair in a scarf or cap. Then clean your skin.

I use sulfur oil which was causing a mini breakout on my forehead. Once I started cleansing my face AFTER I applied it, it pulled back.

Do you wash you hair in the shower? If so, consist getting a handheld attachment and wash your hair separate from showering. This has cut down on my "backne".

Adult acne is no joke.

I have used coconut oil directly on my face and had no problems whatsoever and I was acne prone - I am an Accutane survivor. Coconut oil is wonderful for the skin (pure - not vatike, etc). If you are concerned about it getting on your face, get one of those terry bands - sports people wear them to keep the sweat from getting in their eyes - and put it on your forehead where the skin starts. I wouldn't put it ON the hairline because you do not want to annoy your hairline. Anything coming out of your head would get stuck in that. Also, you must be meticulous about keeping a clean pillowcase. If one side of your face is worse than the other, your pillow may be the culprit. I change my pillowcase (homemade satin) every other night. I use one side, flip it the next day, then to the hamper it goes. HTH

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. I had 2 courses of Accutane and still must take medication to control it, but coconut oil is not the culprit. For me it is hormones & insulin so I've eliminated as much sugar & carbs as I can, and I exercise to control stress. Consider the pp's comments about a range of possible causes.(PS I use coconut oil on my hair and body..and sometimes on my face.)

I think what you may want to do is use the oils but then tie up your hair in a scarf or cap. Then clean your skin.

I use sulfur oil which was causing a mini breakout on my forehead. Once I started cleansing my face AFTER I applied it, it pulled back.

Do you wash you hair in the shower? If so, consist getting a handheld attachment and wash your hair separate from showering. This has cut down on my "backne".

Adult acne is no joke.

When I wash in the shower I re wash my back. I still have some bacne but it's WAY better. The oils you put in your hair do migrate down onto your forehead skin. One summer I couldn't wear my hair down because the products in my hair made the skin on my face , neck, shoulders, and back ITCH. Now I use Bkt and silicones and I don't have that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Do you wear your hair around your face a lot? Also after you put product on your hair, do you wash your hands? Fingers can carry so much bacteria, oils, etc that can cause irritation to the face (the derm told me after using oils on my hair to wash after to reduce irritation and it helps).

Adult acne is no joke.

yes, I always wash my hair in the shower and I do have a handheld attachment but it looks like I may have to do it separetely because the acne is destroying my back

Do you wear your hair around your face a lot? Also after you put product on your hair, do you wash your hands? Fingers can carry so much bacteria, oils, etc that can cause irritation to the face (the derm told me after using oils on my hair to wash after to reduce irritation and it helps).

Everytime I get a relaxer, I wear it down for the first month or so but then I after that it's usually up in a bun. Whenever I put product on my hair sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.. it depends on how much products I use. Thank you for the tip, I'm gonna start washing my hands more often whenever I take care of my hair.

You might want to cut them out for a while. I know for a fact that oils (all of them, coconut included) causes my acne and bacne to flare up. I know for a fact that coconut oil gives me acne because I can feel my face tingling when it accidentally gets on my face...

The only one that doesn't bother me too much is shea butter. I use it on my face and it doesn't bother me...too bad my hair doesn't like though :ohwell:

Also, I would recommend trying witch hazel on your face/back after you use a product to remove the extra oil....

Maybe he's right...virgin coconut oil won't clog your pores, but if the coconut oil has been refined or is mixed with other stuff, it can mess up your face. And I know that Vatika Oil gives me pimples on my forehead if I'm not careful to clean up after putting it on my hair.

Vitamin E Oil, Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sunflower Oil and Sweet Almond Oil are all less likely to clog pores, so you may want to replace the coconut oil in your regimen with one of those. Particularly Sunflower Oil...it contains ceramides, which are known to be good for relaxed hair.

Or you can just keep doing what you're doing, but just make sure to clean your skin well after applying your products.

Maybe he's right...virgin coconut oil won't clog your pores, but if the coconut oil has been refined or is mixed with other stuff, it can mess up your face. And I know that Vatika Oil gives me pimples on my forehead if I'm not careful to clean up after putting it on my hair.

Vitamin E Oil, Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sunflower Oil and Sweet Almond Oil are all less likely to clog pores, so you may want to replace the coconut oil in your regimen with one of those. Particularly Sunflower Oil...it contains ceramides, which are known to be good for relaxed hair.

Or you can just keep doing what you're doing, but just make sure to clean your skin well after applying your products.

It doesn't matter if the coconut oil is refined or not, it is a comedogenic oil. It may not cause breakouts for you but it can definitely cause breakouts for someone else. On a scale of 1 - 5 in terms of comedogenicity, coconut oil is a 4.

Last edited:
ACNE SUFFERER HERE! :spinning:

OT: I don't have product suggestions but I come to provide OT support by sharing my experience. I encourage you to visit the makeup forum for suggestions on how to clear up your acne through other methods in hopes of not having to compromise using oil (this forum was awesome for helping me with my struggles). As mentioned, acne is so much more complicated than stopping the use of oils. I use evco on my face 2x daily and my face loves it. I also use evco on my hair frequently. I honestly believe my face has improved by using evco rather than harming it, but I know we all differ. I read someone that evco helps cell turnover, thus improving hyperpigmentation quicker. I'm unsure of the merit of this but I find that my face is responding well to evco so I don't have a need to debate what I read.

With your scenario, perhaps it's a combination of things causing the acne, rather than the coconut oil itself. This was true in my case but the derm blamed it on hair products and then later, hormones. The only product I ridded myself of was Aussie Moist because of the fragrance (per derm request) but even that didn't clear my acne. I even tried using organic hair prods and that didn't clear it either. It wasn't until after I incorporated grandpa's sulfur soap and ACV, along with minimizing the intake of fried foods did I see improvement. My face has started to clear up nicely and I still use oils and all the various products that I desire, so all hope may not be lost for situation as well. Good luck.

P.S. - rotating out your pillow cases frequently, sleeping with a scarf at night and washing your scarf frequently, no touching your face and picking at the acne, etc are helpful tips.

Also, you must be meticulous about keeping a clean pillowcase. If one side of your face is worse than the other, your pillow may be the culprit. I change my pillowcase (homemade satin) every other night. I use one side, flip it the next day, then to the hamper it goes. HTH

I changed my bed to silk sheets/pillows and wash more often and it made a world of difference.

I also use pure coconut oil, along with olive and JBCO on my hair and workout and I noticed no marked increase in acne. I've been going to the derm for 3 years with no real improvement, but started doing NEEM masks and my acne is improving.

You might want to cut them out for a while. I know for a fact that oils (all of them, coconut included) causes my acne and bacne to flare up. I know for a fact that coconut oil gives me acne because I can feel my face tingling when it accidentally gets on my face...

The only one that doesn't bother me too much is shea butter. I use it on my face and it doesn't bother me...too bad my hair doesn't like though :ohwell:

Also, I would recommend trying witch hazel on your face/back after you use a product to remove the extra oil....

I've never heard of that, thank you!

You are welcome :)

I use the witch hazel as an astringent. After I use the witch hazel then I apply my oil free moisturizer with SPF protection and sometimes shea butter. At one time I was dang near 99% acne free....

But like you I just can't leave the oils alone :nono: They work so well for my hair :ohwell:

ACNE SUFFERER HERE! :spinning:

OT: I don't have product suggestions but I come to provide OT support by sharing my experience. I encourage you to visit the makeup forum for suggestions on how to clear up your acne through other methods in hopes of not having to compromise using oil (this forum was awesome for helping me with my struggles). As mentioned, acne is so much more complicated than stopping the use of oils. I use evco on my face 2x daily and my face loves it. I also use evco on my hair frequently. I honestly believe my face has improved by using evco rather than harming it, but I know we all differ. I read someone that evco helps cell turnover, thus improving hyperpigmentation quicker. I'm unsure of the merit of this but I find that my face is responding well to evco so I don't have a need to debate what I read.

With your scenario, perhaps it's a combination of things causing the acne, rather than the coconut oil itself. This was true in my case but the derm blamed it on hair products and then later, hormones. The only product I ridded myself of was Aussie Moist because of the fragrance (per derm request) but even that didn't clear my acne. I even tried using organic hair prods and that didn't clear it either. It wasn't until after I incorporated grandpa's sulfur soap and ACV, along with minimizing the intake of fried foods did I see improvement. My face has started to clear up nicely and I still use oils and all the various products that I desire, so all hope may not be lost for situation as well. Good luck.

P.S. - rotating out your pillow cases frequently, sleeping with a scarf at night and washing your scarf frequently, no touching your face and picking at the acne, etc are helpful tips.

thank you so much for the tips! I'll definitely check out the makeup forum :yep:

I use the witch hazel as an astringent. After I use the witch hazel then I apply my oil free moisturizer with SPF protection and sometimes shea butter. At one time I was dang near 99% acne free....

But like you I just can't leave the oils alone :nono: They work so well for my hair :ohwell:
Witch hazel works great!

OP:

My regi -
Wash with gentle pore unclogging, exfoliating scrub
Wash with grandpa's sulfur soap
Wipe face with Witch Hazel followed by ACV
Light application of evco
Light application of Cerave for sun UV protection

My process takes about 5 mins but my face loves it so I will continue to dedicate these 5 minutes faithfully. I learned all this in the makeup forum. Good luck.

I have the same problem with coconut oil...and I couldn't believe it b/c all the literature on it says that it is supposed to b great for skin and clear acne...yet when I get ANY oil near my face...I break out....and when I don't use them I am ok...this is upsetting b/c I love the effects of oil on my hair but even with retin-A and Duac gel...I still get breakouts IF I use oil...so u are not alone OP!

oil along with detoxing and changing my diet has almost completely cured my acne.....its a must that any oils you use on your hair are organic, expeller pressed, extra virgin, virgin or unrefined. i use jojoba and have a facial mositurizer with coconut oil and milk and they have been a godsend in my reggie.oils can make your skin purge toxins like retin-a or tazorac initially then it calms down, please pm me so i can direct you to some links about skincare....in order to keep clear your skin has to have a gpood blance of oil and moisture and you diet needs to be on point.....this effects hormones too.

my reggie changes sometimes from day to day but this is basically what i do:
cleanse with chagrin valley soap
tone w/ floral hydrosols, thayer witch hazel or home made toner from purified water/ acv or red wine vinegar
i use a serum, then oil or lotion, then spf 30

pleae be sure to change your pillowcases 2-3 times a week ( or flip them over) and wash your scarf/ bonnet often too:yep:
i make a clay mask and use it 1-2 times a week. i do exfo with aha pads, 10% mandeic or 5% salacylic acid 3-4 times a week

my skin was a wreck the end of last summer, i did a cleanse, i switched skincare the end of september. i started to see a huge improvement and people noticing it in november/december.....jooba oil doesn't clog pores and is like the skins own natural sebum, it is alos great for hair. what is your diet like? are you using the bathroom regularly, do you smoke or have other health issues.....you should stop by the makeup-skincare forum.

Last edited:

it's just not fair!! :sad:

I bought witch hazel today so I will give you an update soon.. thanks again!

Back