I stopped using grease/oil on my scalp - not a flake in sight

pmichael52172

I have been a scalp greaser/oiler for as long as I can remember. Especially in the winter, my hair gets VERY dry, so much so that it breaks off. I've been getting the itchies and lots of flakes because of the scalp build up but knew I needed the hydration/moisture. After reading a couple of threads I decided to try not using anything on my scalp. It's been over a week now and I haven't seen a flake at all. I still use my shea butter pomade on my hair only and still no flakes on the scalp.

These are the habits I changed:
Concentrated on keeping the conditioner on the hair and not on the scalp (and rinsing well). I use to be sloppy and get the conditioner on my scalp and not rinse well so that was probably the cause of buildup too.
During my deep conditions I mix it with oil (rosemary, jojoba and EVOO) then rinse well.
Massaging my scalp

That's it! I think I will let keep doing this and don't fight that winter breakage, do consistent hot oil treatments.

Nonie

AMEN! You remind me of myself. I still remember way back when I was a pre-teen when a teacher dared me to give up greasing my scalp. I argued that I'd have dandruff like you won't believe. He assured me I wouldn't. Just so I could prove him wrong, I took him up on his challenge. I had itches the first day. By the second day, no itches and no dandruff. I stopped greasing my scalp then. What's funny is, I didn't even wash my hair twice a week. I washed once a week or once every two weeks! :blush: I don't even remember if conditioner featured in my regimen every wash... . But yep, never looked back since then. Only time I "greased" my scalp was when I was regrowing my bald patches...oh oh oh, and when I used Paltas (<---gave tingles to the scalp and was supposed to grow hair, so you HAD to put it on the scalp, wear a plastic cap (or sleep with a towel on pillow) and shampoo in the AM. Made my TWA in high school soft and shiny...and I admit I couldn't shampoo my hair every AM. Other than those times, I love having nothing on my scalp.)

C.Nicole

Yea, its funny how that works. You wouldnt believe the scalp relief I got when I stopped gunking crap up on my scalp. I used to do the same thing, but I used this stuff called DHT blocker, that was supposed to RELIEVE the dandruff:wallbash::wallbash:. Girl, I was scratching like nobodys business. Terrible. But cowashing has completely done away with all of my dandruff. Now my scalp is at peace...:rolleyes:

basketballbabe03

I experienced the same thing. For years, I had very bad dandruff and would buy special shampoos for my hair until I found LHCF and found that others didn't grease their scalps. I decided to give it a try even though I thought it wouldn't work but to my surprise, I don't have dandruff anymore! Now, I just make sure to only apply products to my hair. The only thing I do put on my scalp from time to time is oil.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
yes i had horrible dandruff and had all the special medical shampoos and such as a child. i could shake my head and have a dounpour of flakes. when i started to take care of my own hair i stopped greasing out of laziness lol. then it miraculously stopped. when i found hair boards i was like oh ok this is good and stayed that was for years.

now thought ive begun to grease my scalp again but i use a good grease(holly wood beauty castor oil) and thats only when i have cornrows in. im not a fan of grease but i like this one because it dosent grease up my pillow.

hillytmj

I learned a long time ago that dandruff is normally the result of product buildup. If I wait to long to wash my hair (more than 10 days), I see flakes, but I attribute that to product buildup. I can't remember the last time I greased my scalp.